00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

eZee just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fuck Ben Spurgin

5,936 Views | 54 Replies

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 02:42:35

who the fuck cares about some junkie who gonked out on heroin? I certainly don't and making a day for him probably is a stupid idea.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 04:27:21

At 10/3/10 02:42 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: who the fuck cares about some junkie who gonked out on heroin?

Are you saying he doesn't deserve a real-life funeral just because of the poor decisions that lead to his death?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 04:35:02

At 10/3/10 02:42 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: who the fuck cares about some junkie who gonked out on heroin? I certainly don't and making a day for him probably is a stupid idea.

This isn't as much about Ben Spurgin as it is about Ben-Spurgin

To elaborate this is a celebration of the man's contributions to NG as an outlet for artistic medium. Whoever Ben Spurgin the man was should not have any effect on how we remember Ben-Spurgin the animator and contributor.

I know it seems out of place for me to talk about this like I knew that man, being an 09'er and all. However, I have always enjoyed NG for it's flash, and I think the man who helped kickstart the rise of high quality flash we take for granted now deserves his credit.

This isn't a celebration of a man who OD'd this is a celebration of an animator who helped NG become the hub for creative flash movies that it has become.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 05:13:54

At 9/30/10 01:24 PM, 18kaufmann wrote: I toltally agree with you i have never heard of the guy before but i had a look at what he was about, and i have to agree that making a holiday for a scag head isnt the way forward. im probably gonna get told to mind my own and shut the fuck up but you were right! it should go to a vote.!!!!

It seems people haven't realized that THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 21:12:34

At 10/3/10 04:27 AM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/3/10 02:42 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: who the fuck cares about some junkie who gonked out on heroin?
Are you saying he doesn't deserve a real-life funeral just because of the poor decisions that lead to his death?

he got his funeral hell I think its stupid to do something now since its already old news especially about some junkie.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 21:13:11

this times ten thousand

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 21:17:06

sorry, my penis is too busy to fuck a dead guy. call again later.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-03 21:52:42

Shameless plug, sorry.

I kind of agree with the OP, when you take drugs what do you expect will happen? It sucked that Spurgin did what he did but that's how it is. He was a great flash artist and one can wonder what work would have come about had he lived.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-04 02:05:33

Sorry PsychoGoldFish, Tom and Mindchamber, but I'm going to have to agree with Stamper here; making a holiday in dedication to this guy is idiotic.

Where does Stamper say that?

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-04 02:11:41

Jealous much? The message of what drugs can do to your life is one that NG thought was important to spread.. Your pretty retarded, get a brain.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-04 02:22:22

At 9/30/10 12:43 PM, Sekhem wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/40 9489
rip

Best game ever.

Facebook

"Man creates his own reality."

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-04 03:56:35

At 9/30/10 11:47 AM, phsychopath wrote: Why the hell is there going to be a holiday dedicated to this hypocritical moron?
hypocritical

You keep using that word, you defiantly don't know what it means.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-04 17:27:37

Although "F*** Ben Spurgin" might be too harsh, he was doing something very wrong that got him killed. He was doing heroin, which can damage your mental and physical health significantly.

This guy definitely did something wrong. Whatever his contribution to Newgrounds/flash games might be, he should NOT be missed or remembered AS a WHOLE SITE.

At the very least, post the danger of any drug use (which can cause overdose+death, like Ben) and that what he did to die was wrong, while recognizing his good works. Newgrounds is sending a very wrong message by just posting Ben's work and not his wrongdoing.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-12 23:43:20

You know, it's hard to believe some people can be so narrow-minded.. so shallow and superficial as to define a person's entire existence on this earth by the manner in which they left it. My brother was soooo much more than an addict. And he certainly was NOT a junkie. What he was, was loving, generous, creative, compassionate, and hilarious. He was a son, a brother, and an uncle. He was an actor, a musician, an artist, an MC for roller derby, and he was loved by this entire town. It is so easy to pass judgment from the comfort of your parent's basement, basking in the glow of a computer screen. However, had any of you spent just one day walking in this man's shoes, I doubt any of you could have accomplished half of what he did. Step outside of your comfort zone, take some time to learn about humanity, to know what it MEANS to be human and you will know that none of us is perfect. But each of is IS unique. Each of us has SOME contribution, some bigger than others. And rather than belittle others to make yourself feel better (you self-righteous pieces of shit) how bout for ONCE, realize that life is precious. And instead of wasting it by being cruel and judgemental, (two things Ben never was for one day in his life), try to embrace one another for who we are.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-10-22 22:11:23

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread (go ahead and ban me for awhile or whatever), but this entire thread is downright pathetic. I just heard about Ben's death and I'm truly saddened. Maybe you guys weren't around when Ben was, but I was here and I remember how great everything he put out was. Stick Slayer and Pimp's Quest moved a generation of great Flash artists and set the bar much higher than it ever was before. You people take for granted how many amazing Flash artists there are now, but back then there wasn't a whole lot to pick from and Ben was one of the greatest. When I heard he died, I didn't give a flying fuck that it was a heroin overdose - everybody makes bad decisions. Driving in the rain or talking on your cellphone behind the wheel are both bad decisions... but I guarantee he wouldn't have gotten so much backlash if that's how he went out. The quality of someone's choices doesn't impact the quality of someone's work and all of you kids saying that he doesn't deserve to be celebrated as the great artists that he was are just a bunch of mindless tools.

R.I.P. Ben. I never knew you in life, but I hope I get to know you in the afterlife... if for no other reason than to finally get to play Pimp's Quest 2.

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 12:08:45

Let me start by saying that I dont visit this website nearly as much as i used to or nearly as much as i feel i should. I stopped frequenting the forum some time ago because the NG community had grown what feels like 10 fold over the past few years and to quite honest I dont really like many of the newer users. I guess its just the nature of this forum.

Having said all that, when i saw the front page today and played "Pee man" and than got to reading about Ben Spurgin and how he died....The teenager in me became very upset. I remember years ago looking forward to all of the new flashes and games that this man made. I remember being thrilled when his characters showed up in other artists work.

I started visiting Newgrounds in 6th or 7th grade. The stick slayer trailer came out when i was in 8th grade. This website played a large part in my childhood and development. Ben Spurgin played a huge part in the development of this website and flash toons in general. I always looked at him as a founding father of the Flash Portal. I cant speak for everyone but I can speak for myself when i say that Ben Spurgin will be missed.

I know that this thread is old and i know I am late to this news, but when i came in here and read what the OP and some other users were saying....Appalled is the only word i can think of to describe the feeling i had.

You all come from a line of thinking that is strange and frightening to me. You should always respect the dead. Fuck even if you dont agree with his life style and even if you dont like his flash cartoons there is still no reason to be so hostile towards someone who is dead and burried. There is no reason for name calling. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

If its so hard to respect the dead than at the very least respect the people he left behind. There are clearly people here (myself included) who were saddened when they heard the news about Ben's death. What gives you the right to come here and talk so candidly about his drug problem? Did you know the man personally? No of course you didnt, your just a bunch of sad lonely kids sitting in the glow of your computer giggling about how clever you all think you are.

A man is dead....a man is dead and you laugh....Ben was a son and a brother, he was an artist and large contributer to the site that you all claim to love so much. Fuck if Tom wants to dedicate a whole week to Ben than who are you to say hes wrong?

I remember a time when the users here actually gave a shit about this website and what it was all about.....clearly the community is sick and in need of a wake up call. If the present users can so blatantly disrespect this sites past....than you can go ahead and count me out of the future....

In closing I dont care that i bumped an old topic. I dont care if you ban me i rarely post anyway. I said what i had to and if anyone feels differently they can blow it out their ass.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 12:14:44

At 11/8/10 12:08 PM, Velcro wrote: Stuff. Amazing stuff.

Quoted for truth. Quoted for fucking truth.

Respect the dead, unless you want to be insulted when you die.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 12:18:52

At 11/8/10 12:11 PM, Canas wrote:
At 10/3/10 02:18 AM, Painbringer wrote: We should have a Livecorpse day.
Yeah what the fuck, fuck Ben Spurgin. Livecorpse is the shit

Really? Fuck Ben Spurgin? Fuck you man. Ben Spurgin did more for this website than you ever have or ever will. I agree with everything Velcro said. Newgrounds has always been a place for deviants and trolls the world round....but we should always respect our own. I remember when we actually were a community......sure we fought and bickered and some of us hated each other but we were a community. Your all just a bunch of fucked up haters who have no idea what this website meant to the people who preceded you.....the people who shaped this place.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 12:28:57

At 9/30/10 01:34 PM, Rucklo wrote: while i agree that it seem like bullshit to celebrate somone who took drugs, and died because of an OD - that's not the focus, and shouldn't be the focus. his flashes should be.

however, it's difficult to get away from the fact that his tragic death DID include drugs.

oh well...

He would have never gotten his day if he didn't die.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 12:47:36

At 11/8/10 12:28 PM, Canas wrote: Newgrounds has always been a place for deviants

You know what your absolutely right.....as much as it pains me to admit it. I remember when livercorpse died and I ran into the same issue.....This is an internet counter culture and i've been around long enough to expect these things to happen...I've seen it dozens of times and I'm sure you have to....It just never stopped it from upsetting me....Velcro made some very good points and I'm sorry that i cant articulate my thoughts the same way he did....I just hadnt seen this topic before and whether you choose to believe it or not reading through some of the posts here legitimately upset me...I feel like just because its the way so many people here operate does not make it right......but your right its foolish of me to expect anything else.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 19:00:10

At 9/30/10 11:47 AM, phsychopath wrote: Idiotic stuff.

Your mother must have been very disappointed after having to waddle around for the best part of nine months carrying you in her womb, only to have an unsympathetic, overly opinionated brat pop out. My condolences go not to Ben's friends and family, because those who knew / knew of him would understand that aside from having his vices (which most humans have in one shape or form; drugs, over eating, under eating, alcoholism, cigarette smoking, etc), that he was a good guy. They go to your mother for spawning you.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 19:38:56

liljim is obviously a virgin who has never smoked weed before

BBS Signature

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 19:43:59

Why hasn't this topic been locked already?

This is really the epitome of stupidity as person after person tries to justify or condemn a dead man when the focus isn't even on him. It is my understanding that the proposed idea was to commemorate his contributions to the Flash Portal in its early days.

All this has degenerated into is misplaced machismo and bitterness.

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2010-11-08 20:13:07

I agree, this Ben person sounds like a looser.

"well, he ODd on heroin, which is proven to be extremely dangerous, and he knew exactly what he was doing, he made some flashes that 60% of NG has never even seen, so that makes it okay!"

Look at Amy Winehouse, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, and many others. They were musical geniuses to a lot of people, but then they took drugs. Now people only remember then as alcoholics or drug addicts, or skin bleachers. Why should Ben Spurgin, who's done MUCH LESS than the above mentioned people, be any different?

Response to Fuck Ben Spurgin 2012-06-25 04:06:01

riiiiiiiiise from your grave!!

I go to school to study how high frequency sound waves can heal, ...or KILL.