00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Genre Mod Crew

40,085 Views | 376 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-09 18:09:47

I was a pretty frequent reviewer and I had a list of submissions that should be chronicled in collections, I'd love to be a genre mod if the opportunity or space is open.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-10 04:47:43

Just so you know, we don't put things in the collection/series pages as they are now. We add genre info to items that don't have them (music video, drama, spam, etc.) as well as search tags, similar to the ones in the Art Portal.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-13 11:12:03

These two need to be switched from movie to game (tutorial):

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-13 18:05:49

Regarding Tom's thoughts in the icon mod thread about avoiding acronyms that might mean more than one thing. Maybe it's best we change them to the full names since if something new comes up that shares the same acronym as something else, we'll have to change the tags for all the submissions so they're in two different tags rather than one. Despite this, I still defend the more obvious acronyms such as "wow" for World of Warcraft (top result for wow in Google is this game), "ff"+roman numeral for Final Fantasy games and "ayb" for All Your Base, unless it'll make the tagging layout rather inconsistent.

One clashing acronym that I'm aware of is "gow" which can mean God of War and Gears of War and it's even come to the point whenever someone abbreviates either game to GOW you could assume either game.

What do you all think of avoiding acronyms for tags?

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-14 10:57:51

For the really popular ones like "wow" we could just tag them with both to cover all the bases. On that note I've been wondering if World of Warcraft submissions should even have the "warcraft" standalone tag or if that should only relate to the classic pre-wow warcraft games... Although I think a Warcraft fan probably doesn't mind finding it all together.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-14 13:22:26

At 9/22/10 11:47 AM, TomFulp wrote: This thread is a place to discuss the updating / changing of genre info, particularly debates and decisions about what genres specific submissions fall into and which tags are best used for particular submissions.

This sounds like something I would be apt at and willing to do in the long-term, please sign me up Tommy! Are there any qualifications I must pass before joining or would be appointed as soon as you knew about my intent to help out?

In my spare time I find myself listing, organizing, and categorizing things in immaculate detail as a sort-of hobby; I do not doubt that this quirk of mine will compel me to get things done in an efficient, effective manner.

Take care of yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-28 08:04:42

Did 2/3rd's of the list, and found a few errors.

Trailer, not a game.

Also, Hentai Slideshow, not a game.

This needs deleting, it's just a string of Dragon Ball Z scenes, with a song added to it, no flash animation whatsoever.

And Tom, you REALLY need to add a sprite section.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-28 13:25:23

At 1/28/11 08:04 AM, phrozonfire wrote: Did 2/3rd's of the list, and found a few errors.

I updated the genre info on the trailer and removed the other two.

BTW if no one noticed - nothing with more than 75,000 views is without genre info. The journey to 70k is halfway there. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-28 19:29:15

Youtube clip, not a flash movie

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-29 19:27:12

Hmm, today is one of those days where I really want to do Genre Modding...

Also, I agree totally with you guys about the acronym issue. I had the same problem when I was searching for movies of one thing and movies of things totally different appeared... This would help a lot our fellow users...

On to the genre list!! o/

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks

Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-31 16:18:28

At 1/28/11 07:29 PM, phrozonfire wrote: Youtube clip, not a flash movie
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 0680

Oh man that was almost too cute to delete but I went ahead and did it... I did like the music and white haze he put around them... YouTube version for anyone curious to see what it was based on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3U0udLH9 74

And yes that is more popular than anything ever posted on Newgrounds in over a decade, with the exception of a dating sim and a game that I suspect has falsely inflated its views over the years.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-31 16:30:46

At 1/31/11 04:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: And yes that is more popular than anything ever posted on Newgrounds in over a decade

I fear for the future of the internet.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-01-31 17:32:50

lol, I don't like cats, but that video was really cute, just like the surprised kitty one...

So, I see there's not too much interest in the thread. Let's talk about things, or flashes we tought it was interesting while we were going through all those flashes...

What do you think of the idea?? :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-01 05:39:08

At 1/31/11 05:32 PM, RogerBK wrote: lol, I don't like cats, but that video was really cute, just like the surprised kitty one...

So, I see there's not too much interest in the thread. Let's talk about things, or flashes we tought it was interesting while we were going through all those flashes...

I'll try to note more stuff I find along the way... There have been some great classics that haven't been on the radar in a long time.

TAG SUGGESTION... There are cartoons like Bunny Kill and lots of one-offs that aren't direct Madness tributes, but would probably be enjoyed by Madness fans. I feel weird tagging them "madness" since those results should probably focus on Madness, but I'm gonna start tagging stuff "madnesslike" for now... So you would be able to view a results page full of submissions that are like Madness but not madness. Sound... good?

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-01 07:39:03

At 2/1/11 05:39 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/31/11 05:32 PM, RogerBK wrote: lol, I don't like cats, but that video was really cute, just like the surprised kitty one...

I'll try to note more stuff I find along the way... There have been some great classics that haven't been on the radar in a long time.

I don't remember a lot of games too... I remember great games I played but they weren't recognized, too bad.

Sound... good?

Yeah, liked the idea Tom, it'd be much easier to find those madness like movies, and makes our tagging easily. I completely agree with you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-02 17:13:44

NO SUBMISSION WITH 70k+ VIEWS IS WITHOUT GENRE INFO.

Will we hit... 60k?

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-02 19:18:11

At 2/2/11 05:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: NO SUBMISSION WITH 70k+ VIEWS IS WITHOUT GENRE INFO.

Will we hit... 60k?

i think so or not IDK

btw hail to tom

MER 2017

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-04 16:21:08

game classified as a movie

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-04 16:29:02

At 2/1/11 05:39 AM, TomFulp wrote:

TAG SUGGESTION... There are cartoons like Bunny Kill and lots of one-offs that aren't direct Madness tributes, but would probably be enjoyed by Madness fans. I feel weird tagging them "madness" since those results should probably focus on Madness, but I'm gonna start tagging stuff "madnesslike" for now... So you would be able to view a results page full of submissions that are like Madness but not madness. Sound... good?

Well, for me, any cartoon that does one man killing dozens of others, except madness, gets "onemanarmy" as the tag but I suppose I can make a third tag for anything that uses the came bodybuild that madness does. I assume you are specifically wanting the "maddnesslike" tag for animations have the same visual ascetic, not because it's a lone guy facing hords of enemies.

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-05 22:04:58

I don't know if this is the right way to do this or anything, but this guy needs some genres going.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-05 22:09:17

At 2/4/11 04:21 PM, TomaO2 wrote: game classified as a movie

Don't have the option to change it from movie to game.....

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-06 12:17:00

At 2/5/11 10:04 PM, Havegum wrote: I don't know if this is the right way to do this or anything, but this guy needs some genres going.

And a few more.
I don't really know how the system works, maybe I'm not really helping, but here's three more authors with a bunch of genres waiting to be set.
1 | 2 | 3

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 03:25:32

Hey, I got an experiment that I feel a sudden need to run.

What happens when a Genre Mod like myself is going through the "Last Week Standings", finds a flash author who is conducting his own experiment which is (lets use an exact quote here) "to see how easy it was to steal a flash" (answer: it's extremely easy) and then puts a link to said flash somewhere where Tom Fulp will notice it.

I wonder what, if anything, will happen.

It's a mystery. >_>

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 03:27:09

Bah, I forgot the actual link >.<

I need an edit button so badly.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 10:25:33

At 2/6/11 12:17 PM, Havegum wrote: I don't really know how the system works, maybe I'm not really helping, but here's three more authors with a bunch of genres waiting to be set.
1 | 2 | 3

Thank you for your submissions, Havegum. I'll get to those later.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 10:26:34

One more thing.

Tom, I'm not clear about this, but are Hentai Galleries allowed or not?

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 13:30:02

At 2/5/11 10:09 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 2/4/11 04:21 PM, TomaO2 wrote: game classified as a movie
Don't have the option to change it from movie to game.....

I fixed it. Gotta be sure that's an option in the future. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 13:34:58

At 2/8/11 03:27 AM, TomaO2 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/56 0593
Bah, I forgot the actual link >.<

I need an edit button so badly.

Sending a PM usually works better. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 13:36:23

At 2/8/11 10:26 AM, phrozonfire wrote: One more thing.

Tom, I'm not clear about this, but are Hentai Galleries allowed or not?

I've been deleting hentai galleries as they come up - you can email me with links if you have some. There are hentai quiz games that have still gotten a pass, but they will be easier to round up after the redesign launches, at which point they might get liquidated due to the source of their images.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-02-08 15:50:43

At 2/8/11 01:36 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I've been deleting hentai galleries as they come up - you can email me with links if you have some. There are hentai quiz games that have still gotten a pass, but they will be easier to round up after the redesign launches, at which point they might get liquidated due to the source of their images.

Could not find your e-mail, so here they are

BBS Signature