thenewbies
thenewbies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-02 23:25:26 Reply

At 10/2/10 10:44 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 10/2/10 10:39 PM, PhyroDragon wrote: If I would have know earlier that making icons was that easy I would have asked this earlier: Will you guys take me in?
Make at least 10 icons and PM an icon mod too upload them.
Then PM Wade asking if you can be one.

And if you've heard something about giving that icon mod fellatio, that is optional.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 01:23:26 Reply

At 10/2/10 09:53 PM, thenewbies wrote: And that's why you use png or gif. Read my beautiful essay on it.

I actually read all of it, it was pretty interesting and it finally explained to me why these pesky .jpg's have different fize size when the image is always 140x90 and why .gif's have these stupid red dots on white areas...

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 09:00:09 Reply

At 10/2/10 10:44 PM, Jolly wrote:
At 10/2/10 10:39 PM, PhyroDragon wrote: If I would have know earlier that making icons was that easy I would have asked this earlier: Will you guys take me in?
Make at least 10 icons and PM an icon mod too upload them.
Then PM Wade asking if you can be one.

Actually, I think Tom is the better person to contact regarding icon modding. I've asked everyone who I've approached if they're interested in the role to contact Tom and show him the icons you've made. However, if Wade has been known to have recruited some icon mods as well after getting applications from users, I suppose there's no harm in that.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 09:42:49 Reply

At 10/3/10 09:00 AM, Bahamut wrote: However, if Wade has been known to have recruited some icon mods as well after getting applications from users, I suppose there's no harm in that.

Yeah, Wade icon modded Jolly. He's a little more strict than Tom when it comes to the quality of the icons, but it's cool. He just wants to make sure people are doing good work.

CommanderWalrus
CommanderWalrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 13:11:21 Reply

At 10/2/10 05:01 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 10/2/10 04:42 AM, Domo wrote: If you upload a pic that is bigger than 140x90 then you can use a cropping tool to crop it instead of always using photoshop.
Photoshop?Who uses PS for cropping?
Anyway, that's a good thing to know, but let's not forget that I need to make sure that the image has to be smaller than 7kb, and that's not the case with full quality .jpg's most of the time..

Yeah, but although the file may begin larger than 7KB, the cropped image is dramatically smaller.

One of my 100KB full images became 4.0KB when cropped.

[ICON/GENRE/WIKI MOD] PM me for icon requests or icon/genre related questions.
lulz

BBS Signature
dx5231
dx5231
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 13:47:34 Reply

At 10/2/10 05:01 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Photoshop?Who uses PS for cropping?

I use PS for cropping, and eventually some more stuff. It's useful when I want to crop an area larger than 140x90, and then re-size it to 140x90.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 15:00:38 Reply

Is the icon mod site not working for anyone else? When I go on I just see a white screen.

citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-03 15:14:39 Reply

alright fixed, my servers disk was full heh

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-04 16:07:38 Reply

At 10/3/10 01:11 PM, CommanderWalrus wrote: Yeah, but although the file may begin larger than 7KB, the cropped image is dramatically smaller.

Come on man, I'm not stupid, I was talking about the cropped image being larger than 7kb (that happens a lot with .jpg's)..but yeah, if I use .png I should probably be alright.

Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Writer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-04 21:17:19 Reply

Hey guys. I apologize for my recent absence from the Icon Creation business, but I've been put into an Advanced Language Arts course, so it's consuming a lot of my time to be on here helping you guys out. I'll see if I can finish up my homework before the weekend arrives, which is a four day weekends, so I can put in more time.

Domo
Domo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-04 21:32:56 Reply

At 10/4/10 09:17 PM, Sectus wrote: Hey guys. I apologize for my recent absence from the Icon Creation business, but I've been put into an Advanced Language Arts course, so it's consuming a lot of my time to be on here helping you guys out. I'll see if I can finish up my homework before the weekend arrives, which is a four day weekends, so I can put in more time.

Where have you been. I don't hear from you for 2 weeks and now your here. I have a 9 day weekend.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-05 07:08:28 Reply

At 10/2/10 04:42 AM, Domo wrote: If you upload a pic that is bigger than 140x90 then you can use a cropping tool to crop it

This doesn't work, I just tried uploading a massive full-desktop picture and nothing happened...

thenewbies
thenewbies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-05 16:05:41 Reply

At 10/5/10 07:08 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 10/2/10 04:42 AM, Domo wrote: If you upload a pic that is bigger than 140x90 then you can use a cropping tool to crop it
This doesn't work, I just tried uploading a massive full-desktop picture and nothing happened...

You did it on the icon upload page, right? I'm pretty sure Internet Explorer messes everything up, so you could change browsers to see if it works.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-05 16:26:46 Reply

I upload pictures this big, not the whole desktop.

The Icon Mod Crew

Domo
Domo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-05 22:15:56 Reply

At 10/5/10 04:05 PM, thenewbies wrote: You did it on the icon upload page, right? I'm pretty sure Internet Explorer messes everything up, so you could change browsers to see if it works.

HeavyTank is to much of a classy guy to be using internet explorer.

BBS Signature
thenewbies
thenewbies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-06 11:45:46 Reply

At 10/5/10 10:15 PM, Domo wrote:
At 10/5/10 04:05 PM, thenewbies wrote: You did it on the icon upload page, right? I'm pretty sure Internet Explorer messes everything up, so you could change browsers to see if it works.

Everyone's too classy to be using it, honestly.

safari ipad lol

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 08:18:40 Reply

At 10/5/10 10:15 PM, Domo wrote:

Naw man, I'm using IE and I'm not planning to change my browser for a slower, shittier one because one site's feature is bugged..and by the way, are they planning on fixing it?
Because I remember that I had to use FF just to upload a piece o' art...
Now I can upload pics, but I can't see the path, and, if what you guys say is correct, I can't crop them either..

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 08:39:56 Reply

At 10/7/10 08:18 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
Naw man, I'm using IE and I'm not planning to change my browser for a slower, shittier one because one site's feature is bugged..and by the way, are they planning on fixing it?

LOL what are you talking about?

When I use IE it takes about 10-15 seconds for a page to load on newgrounds. With firefox it's somewhere around 5-10 seconds for a page to load. With google chrome it takes somewhere between 1-2 seconds for a page to load.

I think IE is known as the slowest browser.

BBS Signature
EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 10:21:35 Reply

I'm not an icon mod (although I have put forth a request to Tom), but I've got to say that even if it isn't the slowest (which, through personal experience, I've found to be very true), there's a lot of pages that it has serious difficulties displaying.

The Acid3 tests show it off pretty well. Test for IE, Firefox.

I believe that Opera, Chrome and the inbuilt Steam browser all score 100/100 on the test.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
Donut
Donut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 10:24:35 Reply

At 10/7/10 08:39 AM, Fro wrote:

When I use IE it takes about 10-15 seconds for a page to load on newgrounds. With firefox it's somewhere around 5-10 seconds for a page to load. With google chrome it takes somewhere between 1-2 seconds for a page to load.

I agree. Chrome pages load almost instantaneously for me.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.
PSN ID:Peegler
Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 10:45:04 Reply

At 10/7/10 10:24 AM, Donut wrote:
I agree. Chrome pages load almost instantaneously for me.

I've been using Chrome Canary with the '--enable-accelerated-2d-canvas --enable-accelerated-compositing' command lines. It's hawt.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 12:34:35 Reply

At 10/7/10 08:39 AM, Fro wrote: When I use IE it takes about 10-15 seconds for a page to load on newgrounds.

I think it might be a glitch..15 seconds is really, really, REALLY slow.
And I tried it myself, NG loads at least twice as slow on a laptop with FF rather than IE.
Sure, it had some add-ons (just a few, not a bajillion), but if the only fun thing FF has makes it slow as fuck then what's the point of using it?
Every single person I've ever talked to about FF told me that add-ons indeed make it a really slow browser.

No sir.
They're equal at best.

*closes unrelated note*

EmmDubya
EmmDubya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Audiophile
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 13:16:31 Reply

At 10/7/10 12:34 PM, HeavyTank wrote: No sir.

A PCWorld article as proof? OH YOU

Also, part of the reason behind that is "In our browser speed comparison, we pitted a near-final build of Internet Explorer 8 against Firefox 3.0.7". In addition to this showing it's a relatively aged test (in the field of browsers, a year and a half is pretty long), it compares an extremely recent/pre-release version of internet explorer versus a firefox release that had been around for a while. If they compared a version of the two browsers released at around the same time, then the chances are that Firefox would piss the test.

In addition to that, both Opera and Chrome are quite a bit faster than Firefox.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 14:16:13 Reply

At 10/7/10 01:16 PM, mwmike wrote: A PCWorld article as proof? OH YOU

Uh, would you prefer Microsoft's own speed test?I thought that that would be a little cheeky :p
I just found the first link Google came up with tbh...

In addition to that, both Opera and Chrome are quite a bit faster than Firefox.

I tried Opera and Netscape as well, but they have less stuff overall, and their layout is a little inferior...plus, even if they are a bit faster, I couldn't care less (and I wouldn't even notice) since my internet connection is fast enough to make most pages load instantaneously..
With that being said, does anyone have any idea WHY is that small bug happening on IE?

thenewbies
thenewbies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 16:26:55 Reply

All right, if you want unbiased, then how about you test for yourself. Download the latest stable version of IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera, visit this site and test heavy sites like NG, YouTube and Kongregate.

I know this because I've done it for a school assignment. Opera and IE ended up last, and Firefox and Chrome tied for first. Of course, my test conditions weren't perfect, but they do follow the general trend of browser tests.

(Opinion begins here)

RIght now, IE is utter shit, it's just a few more lines of code on top of IE6. Hopefully Microsoft is actually trying to make a good, competent browser, but right now, IE usage goes down, Firefox goes nowhere, and Chrome shoots up.

Plus, there's no requirement to install every Firefox or Chrome addon there is. I only use a few and a bunch of Greasemonkey scripts, which don't even slow the page down a bit for Chrome.

As mwmike says, the only reason you need to switch browsers to do some things is because IE has horrible standards compliance. Opera, Safari and Chrome et 100/100, Firefox is close to getting perfect, and IE has 20/100.

Maybe one day, Microsoft will get off their asses and make Internet Explorer 9 a more competitive browser. They've been making progress lately, if you read any tech news, but the only reason IE is regarded as a crap browser is because Microsoft assumed that since they had the vast majority(at the time) of market share, they could just sit on their success and do nothing. Meanwhile, Safari and Firefox are launched, and they both innovated features to make their browser better. Chrome is later launched, gets attention, and like Safari and Firefox, innovate, causing a mini-revolution with putting the tab bar at the top of the window.

But the thing these three did, was release frequently. This meant that the developpers could show that they care about the project, and improvements to the browser came constantly. Not to mention, Chrome just adopted a six-week release policy, so new versions come every month and a half. There was a huge time gap between IE6 and IE7. When IE8 was released, Microsoft got the feeling that some guys were contesting their market dominance.

And guess what happened?

deep breaths, deep breaths

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 16:30:56 Reply

NG is a little more buggy with IE.

That is my input.

CommanderWalrus
CommanderWalrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 16:46:41 Reply

I'm a Chrome man all the way, IE is easily the slowest piece of crud I have ever used.

Get it. Get in now.

[ICON/GENRE/WIKI MOD] PM me for icon requests or icon/genre related questions.
lulz

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 17:51:01 Reply

At 10/7/10 02:16 PM, HeavyTank wrote: does anyone have any idea WHY is that small bug happening on IE?

IE is a terrible web browser, and most sites aren't made to work best with IE.

I just tried to get on NG with IE, and it took ages too fully load.

Get Fire Fox or something.

Sh0T-D0wN
Sh0T-D0wN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 17:51:58 Reply

Real men use Nexus.

BBS Signature
thenewbies
thenewbies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-10-07 17:57:08 Reply

At 10/7/10 02:16 PM, HeavyTank wrote: With that being said, does anyone have any idea WHY is that small bug happening on IE?

That's because IE has minimal support for standards. Since IE doesn't follow the "rules" correctly, it will display, run and calculate things incorrectly.

If you'd like, check it with acid3, the official standards tester. A browser passes the test when it scores 100. You can click the letter A for info about the test.

BBS Signature