00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Read the damn thread.

12,349 Views | 65 Replies

Response to Read the damn thread. 2010-09-16 19:40:37

i read the threads

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2010-09-16 19:47:28

At 4/23/10 10:47 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
Umm... how do you know if you haven't read them?

Because I don't care about other peoples thought on the subject. I post how I want to, and everyone else is entitled to post how they see fit. Only reason I'm responding to this now is because someone bumped the thread and I recall posting something in here, so looked and just now noticed your reply to me.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the 'quality > quantity' thing works both ways here. If you CAN in fact find a way of putting a decent amount of humour, interest potential, or relevance into one line, it's actually better to keep it simple in doing so. Like others have said, why bother padding it out with half a dozen paragraphs if all it needed was one line?

This is too true. I got banned once for making too many 'short, spammy posts'. Which I actually found highly insulting. Never once in 31k+ posts have I '+1ed'. I just enjoy posting and sometimes the shorter ones are the best.

However, this was primarily about people who don't read threads they post in, and (in your example of posting witty one-liners) if you're going to do the short-but-sweet thing, there's only one way to know if you're making the most of it. How do you know there's not something even more exploitable elsewhere in the thread? Like I said, the vast majority of "good" posts are not at the start of the threads they're in, so it never hurts to at least skim-read through for any that stick out as 'better' than the rest.

The thing is people want to get noticed at the beginning of a thread, not at the end of it. This is why in more bad topics you will find almost a rush of users getting in quick 'funny' posts minutes after the thread is made, because that is how they will get noticed. Of course, I think anyone who is actually really interested in a certain topic will indeed be reading every post and keeping up with it. We all do this for threads that we have a keen interest in.

At this point I'd like to point out (to all the stupid kids that think the act of thoughtlessness itself is funny) that this thread has been purged of at least 10 such responses already, and most of the idiots who posted them have been banned.

The mods are doing their job then. What's the problem?

That's the thing: people can be 100% confident about their assumptions and still be 100% wrong. While the chances of something good being posted in certain threads is VERY slim, it's never 0. Of course, I wouldn't normally waste my time wading through such threads either, but then again I hardly ever post in them anyway. If it's not worth reading, it's not worth posting in.

So stop reading them and making threads about them.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 21:40:48

Whilst randomly browsing this thread, I find it somewhat amusing that, for the most part, level=maturity. The high-levels take NG seriously, and actually think before posting (a rare thing, I'm sure). Conversely, the low-levels are the ones who only sign up to troll posts and generally cause havoc in the forums.
Hopefully this does not reflect poorly on me, being a low-level myself.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 21:42:18

At 3/27/11 09:40 PM, MeteorManMike wrote: Whilst randomly browsing this thread, I find it somewhat amusing that, for the most part, level=maturity. The high-levels take NG seriously, and actually think before posting (a rare thing, I'm sure). Conversely, the low-levels are the ones who only sign up to troll posts and generally cause havoc in the forums.
Hopefully this does not reflect poorly on me, being a low-level myself.

Why the fuck are you still posting? You said you were done! Get the fuck out of here!!!!

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 21:42:33

i do read but some time i dont feel like it or i just dont want too

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 22:14:26

My god man, get a f***ing life.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 22:15:58

At 3/27/11 10:14 PM, MeteorManMike wrote: My god man, get a f***ing life.

directed at ian4678, sorry OP

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 22:22:10

At 3/27/11 10:15 PM, MeteorManMikesuckyourdick wrote:
At 3/27/11 10:14 PM, MeteorManMike wrote: My god man, get a f***ing life.
directed at ian4678, sorry OP

No shit retard. Now get the fuck out of here!!!

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 22:34:32

ive found that people who dont read the entire thred are the main source of trolls. im not saying they all are, not even i read everthing, but when they dont read the replies they just post shit about the topic and the topic starter. similar to what someone said up about a few post.
gets really annoying when your looking for help.

let the yiffy day begin and never end!

btw i make post off my ipad cuz my parents controll my life........ help me!!!!!

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-27 22:35:34

At 5/31/10 11:08 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: As much as I like to read, the problem is there's so many threads and certain posts are over three hundred words. With all due respect to those who take the time and put thought into writing those posts, reading every one of them that I see is tiresome, especially if there's several on one page of a thread. I might read three or more long posts, depending on what they're about. However, if a thread is, say, five pages long and there's all kinds of long posts, I should not be forced to read every one if I don't want to. After all, we're here on our own time, not as if there's an assignment due on a thread for school. I don't know if there's one correct way to deal with reading threads, but everyone's different and they can frankly do what suits them, as long they're not breaking any rules.

The thing is, even if it isn't against the rules it still makes you look uninformed and quite frankly, unintelligent. Of course there isn't a reason to maintain a super-serious attitude, but the point he's making is simple; if you don't read all the post, it's wise not to post in it.

Of course I disagree with not posting if you don't see something you like in the thread, by posting you can make the thread that much more interesting.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 00:34:32

Oh boy. Another super serious thread about why you should always read every post, all the time and if you don't you're a piece of shit. Go light yourself on fire OP. Not everyone finds fun in serious somber discussion done in a perfectly professional manner. This is the internet, it's for fun.

Sig by me. Suck it bitches.

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 00:39:02

I always read the thread. I just usually don't give a shit with what its about and post random things.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 00:41:13

Lmao it seems you've discovered the reason I don't post that often on general, mainly because like "Scarab" said I don't see Arguments or Threads that are worth getting involved in. Im not saying that funny threads are bad it's just alot of threads can become so awfully retarded that by the time I'm half-way to making a post I've lost too many braincells to be able to properly construct something worthwhile or on the otherhand sometimes the thread really doesn't warrant reading every single one of the posts in it (though often these types of threads are uninteresting).
Also another factor in my process of whether or not to post is whether I can make it to the end of the thread and maintain my interest, because sometimes after reading what others have put I just feel that the main points have been covered so I just call it a mulligan and move on (that or laziness gets the best of me so I decide not to post lol).

Anyway, overall there are times when reading each individual post is an assest to understanding the discussion or likewise it can become a turnoff if the thread is really spammy in nature, it all just depends on whether the thread's topic was well thought out or not (as this determines the replies it gets).

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 00:58:56

God, all you seem to do is complain and complain about how other people post. It's not your job to do that and it shouldn't be your concern. You can easily ignore what you believe to be bad posting habits. Personally I find a bad posting habit someone who just wants to moan and moan about the userbase here but I guess we're all different.

A lot of times I don't care to read other posts in a thread (think I mentioned this in your other needless rant about +1 posting which is a stupid concept anyway). If I just want to make a post in regards to the OP then that is what I will do. I couldn't care what other people think on this topic because it's a stupid topic really about pointing fingers with little else so why read any further?

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 01:00:25

Lol, I didn't realise I posted in this before. Seems a long time ago. :(

I just hope he listens.

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 01:04:02

I read the damn thread, yes.

Nah im kidding.

The intellect of Newgrounds users is slowly slipping, making this site become more and more of a cesspool for the immature, weak minded, idiots that have no commen fucking sense.

Like a Boss. Hit me up.

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 03:59:51

I read the title of the threads and the content as well, as I don't want to end up looking stupid. However, sometimes the reply I write might make me seem as if I read only the title, even though I read the content.
Also, misleading thread titles are also good traps for them. I dare you to make a thread with a very misleading title and content!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 08:48:41

I have to agree to a certain point. sure, OP's message is important to read, in particular if the thread is serious. When it's a joke thread it might not be necessary.
The other posts? Helpful if the thread doesn't reach 2+ pages. But then to me it still depends how many TL:DR I come across. In this thread for example, there are quite a few of those, so ironically, i didn't go over all of them. I might have read 1, 2 or 3, but i won't spend 45 minutes reading everything before voicing my opinion. especially if replies go out of my way of thinking.
But i do at times pick in on posts I read and try to add something to the discussion, only o be ignored when doing this. I also pay more attention to the last few posts, in case OP or someone else adds some new element in the discussion.

A second issue raised, appears to be the nature of the posts made on the BBS. In particular the presence of comic troll/spam threads. I'm sorry, people who really have issues with this, should just stay out of general and stick with the serious forums. Then still, why talk about serious stuff on a BBS anyway. Just read a few good books and find a discussion group IRL. they exist if you look for them. 95% of the BBS are shits and giggles anyway.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 08:57:02

These irrelevant posts aren't damaging the BBS. It's like the constant static on the radio. Just ignore it.
Live and let live; your life will greatly improve.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-28 09:04:56

well what can we say, it's the internet. trolls/lazy asses aren't going away anytime soon.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-30 14:17:46

It also annoys me when OP ignores a challenging well thought out response made by people who did honestly read the thread.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-30 15:05:22

At 3/28/11 01:00 AM, Gagsy wrote: Lol, I didn't realise I posted in this before. Seems a long time ago. :(

I just hope he listens.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And that, kiddies, is why you read the thread first. I doubt you could've proved the point any better if you tried. Thankyou! XD

At 3/28/11 08:48 AM, RubberTrucky wrote: But i do at times pick in on posts I read and try to add something to the discussion, only o be ignored when doing this. I also pay more attention to the last few posts, in case OP or someone else adds some new element in the discussion.

Same here. I can't even begin to count how many times I've tried to contribute something to a thread, only to have it buried by stereotypical idiotic responses and ignored by everyone. And in a long thread, it's usually the back end of it that has the majority of the meaningful conversations, so I can't say I blame you for paying more attention to the last few posts.

At 3/28/11 08:57 AM, Jin wrote: These irrelevant posts aren't damaging the BBS. It's like the constant static on the radio. Just ignore it.
Live and let live; your life will greatly improve.

People have been known to get bored and leave because of things directly related to people not reading anything here, y'know. Yes, it's a bit of an extreme reaction, but it's hardly 'harmless' nonetheless.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-03-30 15:10:58

I agree completely, the Westboro Baptist Church had it coming to them.

Read the damn thread.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-05-04 14:16:27

I read this.

Kirk For President 2048

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-05-04 14:41:17

At 2/27/10 01:34 PM, quagmire690 wrote: some stuff that I couldn't read

not enough line breaks there, nor was there much punctuation beyond "..."
see, the problem with that is that if people do that, then I can't read their post so even if I wanted to read the whole thread, I couldn't

I'm not being a grammar nazi, I couldn't care less if you Capitalize random Words, but I do want to be able to read someone else's post- no matter how long.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-05-04 14:48:41

At 3/30/11 03:05 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

And that, kiddies, is why you read the thread first. I doubt you could've proved the point any better if you tried. Thankyou! XD

Proves one thing;

1) That I post too much and forget where I've posted. I've done this kind of thing a few times now.

Who keeps bumping this old crap? You won't change anything and your point is actually mute anyway. I made a slip, but that had nothing to do with anyone else in this topic, just myself. So reading the other replies wouldn't have changed anything.

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-12-20 17:28:37

+1 umad?

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-12-20 17:29:42

Too long of a post, I do read the threads. gah

rar

BBS Signature

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-12-20 17:32:46

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/a llpwrflvexx/cb6fe651.gif
Read the mutha fucken thread b4 u post in the mutha fucken thread.

Response to Read the damn thread. 2011-12-20 17:35:24

Um.... most people read the first post just some people like to post even when they have nothing to say about the topic so they can get their post count up.

Also people don't like reading walls of text anymore it's internet you should keep it short & to the point ;p

BBS Signature