00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AMYHALFDEAD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Halo: Reach Thread

46,740 Views | 754 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-09 14:33:41

Very Good Link......

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-09 21:11:06

Rise of the Triad came out a year before.

Your point is?

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-10 16:30:58

Marathon came out the same day as Rise of the Triad

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-10 18:33:50

Seriously? Whoa...

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-11 01:06:44

Its gna b gold...kant waite to play it.

pOsSoM2

XBL Gamertag-JustinEverlast

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-11 03:11:31

Some known armor abilities.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-11 07:20:35

Halo Combat Evolved really did a number on the FPS genre. It put in a new standard, and introduced game play mechanics that have become almost standard in the genre at this point in the game (regenerating health being perhaps the biggest).

However, by Halo 3, and even ODST, the franchise in my eyes was starting to slide. One of the few FPS games that didn't have a "look down the sights" system, no sprint (which could be frustrating), and a mysterious character whom I started to loose interest in after it was revealed that Bungie really didn't want to have the Master Chief reveal who he was.

Reach is really catching my interest. A semi-auto rifle to replace the three round burst of the Battle Rifle. Finally, it should have been that way since Halo 2 (and it originally was supposed to be if you watch early demos). A sprint in form of armour upgrade. More characterization in that we get to know some of the Spartans on our team more, and I hope there is some sort of character selection/creation for who we play as. Jet packs seem cool. The open landscapes are a throwback to the original. Elites don't speak English. Customizable armour... and more.

I am excited to see how they pull it all off, and if it measures up to the standard I have in my mind. It could be really good! It could be shite... we won't know until it hits the shelves. I do hope it's great though, I really do.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-13 09:10:26

Well, if you read the novels and graphic novel, John-117 becomes a much less mysterious character.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-18 23:13:48

Matchmaking Details:

Active Roster - This is a throwback to Halo 2. When you boot up Reach, right at the main menu or lobby, you'll see a list of what your Xbox Live friends are doing within Reach. You'll get detailed information about any friends playing Reach including who they are partied with, what game they are in (plus score and remaining time), and more.

Queue-Joining - In Halo 3, it was difficult to join friends that were already playing in a match. You had to wait until they were finished. If you started a game while you waited, they would then have to wait for you. Instead of going back and forth, Reach will support queue-joining. Simply put, Reach will automatically join up as soon as your friends are joinable.

Improved Voting System - Halo: Reach will utilize a new voting system, which Bungie described as "Veto 2.0". Each playlist will provide players with four options. The first will be a combination of map and gametype, much like you would see in Halo 3. The other three options will offer players additional choices to vote on. Thankfully, you'll know up front what your four options are so you no longer have to risk voting down a favored map, but unfavored gametype and getting an unfavored combination.

Arena Playlists - Possibly the largest change coming in Halo: Reach is the Arena. This is a Slayer and Team Slayer set of playlists entirely geared toward the hardcore. If that wasn't enough, players will be rated and placed into skill divisions in month-long seasons.

The rating system is smart enough to realize that kills aren't the only determining factor behind skill. This is especially true for team games where assists play a huge roll. Similarly, players that have a greater kill/death ratio (had more kills than deaths) will rank higher than players that die as much as they kill.

The divisions are Onyx, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Steel. It is possible to move up or down within a single season. To qualify for ranking, players will have to play a certain number of games a day to gain a "Daily Ranking", which will be an average of a player's best games from the day. To get a divisional ranking and compete in a season, players will need a certain number of Daily Rankings.

Ranked and Social Combined - Since the hardcore will be in the Arena, Bungie doesn't want to further splinter the community. In Halo 3, Ranked and Social playlists served two different purposes. Ranked games were generally of a higher quality, while social games were more casual.

In Reach, the playlists will be smart enough to put you and your party in the proper match based upon how many players you have. Say you're looking for a game in a four-on-four playlist. If you bring four people, Reach will attempt to match your team against another group of four at a similar skill level. If you go in with more than four, it will properly split your party across the teams and fill in the blanks with extra additional players.

Streamlined Party-Up- After a Halo 3 match, players were presented with the option to "Party Up" and merge lobbies with all willing players. In Reach, it will be an opt-out system. After a match, players will be kept together and it will automatically roll into looking for the next match. The system is flexible enough to allow Bungie to determine, per playlist, whether to keep a team together and find a new set of opponents or keep an entire game together and move onto the next map.

Matchmaking Connection Options - The options for finding games in matchmaking will be more open to the player, if they so choose. If you only ever want to play in games with a good connection, that can be set in the options. If you only ever want to play against players of a similar skill, that can be set. The same goes for finding players that speak to same language.

Social Settings - In addition to these connection options, players can rate themselves along four axes to add another layer of criteria to the matchmaking. These won't trump anything else, but it will help Bungie build better teams. Players will define their playstyle in the following four categories:

* Teamwork - Team Player vs. Lone Wolf
* Motivation - Winning vs. Having Fun
* Chattiness - Chatty vs. Quiet
* Tone - Polite vs. Rowdy

Full Article: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62 873

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-23 22:18:59

Some new screen shots and concept art.
http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/ima ges.aspx?c=59&page=1

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-29 13:30:31

CANT WAIT TILL THE BETA!!!

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-30 00:43:24

1. The FOV is 78 degrees in Reach, Halo 3 was about 60 degrees.
2. At the basic level, you move slower than the Chief (not including Sprint).
3. Jump heights are "a little more realistic." It's a little more grounded.
4. Lunge range is shorter than it was in Halo 3, but it's not really noticeable.
5. It takes two melees to kill a player: one to take down the shields, the other to kill.
6. You are not invulnerable when carrying out an assassination animation - you can still be killed.
7. Five headshots to kill someone with the DMR, five headshots to kill someone with the magnum. Differences between the guns are mainly rate of fire, accuracy, and range. The DMR fires more slowly but it can reach you from farther away. The range of the magnum "plays right outside ideally AR range": magnum a very skilled user can take down a guy with an AR.
8. Frags are more dangerous in Reach, they're more scattered on the map. Less grenade spam than in Halo 3. Larger blast radius.
9. As others have mentioned, you can shoot grenades and have them explode.
10. The grenade arc in Reach is different from Halo 3. It's not that much of a difference, but "you're going to have to relearn some stuff." If you're sprinting and you throw a grenade, you'll throw it farther.
11. Secondary fire on the grenade launcher
12. You "gotta be trying to hurt yourself" to receive fall damage in Reach. The stun is back if you hit the ground hard.
13. For health and shields, it'll take a longer time than in Halo 3 for them to recharge. Health also recharges, but it recharges "at thresholds." If you're about to die, your health is going to regenerate so that a single scratch is not going to kill you, but you'll still have to go out and search for health packs.
14. Health and shields on Elites and Spartans are different. Elites are larger, so they have more health and more shields. The time it takes to kill an Elite with the AR on the open battlefield is very close to that of a Spartan. It takes 6 DMR headshots to kill an Elite.
15. The beta will only feature on Spartan Spartan whereas the final product may feature on Elite Elite as well.
16. Player encounters in REACH will be longer than it was in Halo 3.
17. Almost everything that is coming back from Halo 3 has been tweaked in some way.
18. There have been changes made to the sword combat.
19. In regards to sandbox changes, there is no "uber weapon." There is no particular load-out that dominates all the rest.
20. As I suspected, there are no Spikers or SMGs in Reach.
21. Aim Assist is on a "for weapon setting."
22. Sniper is "even more of a weapon for adults."

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-03-30 10:09:46

At 3/30/10 12:43 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Stuff

Interesting. I have mixed feelings on the fall damage though. It's more fun to screw around without it, but adds more potential to Forge with it.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-11 23:23:32

Pre-Beta Leaked Screens lolol

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-11 23:24:33

And'a 2

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-11 23:26:01

And'a 3

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-11 23:29:38

Oh and here's a video of it booting up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5TwOiOs _Y

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-11 23:30:56

It's sucks and its a piece of shit. Gow3 is a better game

PLEEZ STEEL MY SIGNICHUR

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-12 23:45:19

butt cheeks

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-14 14:16:32

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-14 20:50:20

At 4/14/10 08:25 PM, Grubby wrote: REACH LOOKS SOOOO GOOD.

But my dad is reluctant to buy it, saying that Microsoft is just milking the series.

HOW DO I CONVINCE HIM LOL

Plus I told him I want to start investing in stocks, so I told him I'm going to start cutting my "wants" but really, Reach is starting to look like a "need"

Get a job and stop sucking his teats.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid

i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-14 22:53:02

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-14 23:03:27

At 4/14/10 10:53 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote: This hasn't been posted yet?
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.
offset=0&cId=3178811

I read the article already, but I'm tired of being the only one updating this thread. Thanks for all the posts so far.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-14 23:09:34

At 4/14/10 11:03 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote:
At 4/14/10 10:53 PM, EtchASketchClock wrote: This hasn't been posted yet?
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.
offset=0&cId=3178811
I read the article already, but I'm tired of being the only one updating this thread. Thanks for all the posts so far.

Also, Halo Reach footage galore on GTTV Friday night.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episod e-309-gametrailers-tv/64455

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-15 00:06:21

At 3/11/10 03:11 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Some known armor abilities.

It's cool how they are adding these but I hope they have to be picked up in the map opposed to being perks. I don't want the multiplayer to end up being like CoD. The jetpacks look like a lot of fun. I also wonder if the holograms attack or just walk around.

Top 50 Reviewers

Top 200 Medal Points

Follow me on miiverse MELLOWYELLOWHDR

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-15 07:26:02

At 4/15/10 12:06 AM, MegaGold wrote:
At 3/11/10 03:11 AM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: Some known armor abilities.
It's cool how they are adding these but I hope they have to be picked up in the map opposed to being perks. I don't want the multiplayer to end up being like CoD. The jetpacks look like a lot of fun. I also wonder if the holograms attack or just walk around.

I am pretty sure that you start off with them and you need to let them charge.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid

i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-15 09:09:37

At 4/14/10 08:25 PM, Grubby wrote: But my dad is reluctant to buy it, saying that Microsoft is just milking the series.

HOW DO I CONVINCE HIM LOL

Plus I told him I want to start investing in stocks, so I told him I'm going to start cutting my "wants" but really, Reach is starting to look like a "need"

Or you could scrape together some money and buy it yourself? I've already put aside my money.

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-16 02:15:51

At 4/15/10 07:26 AM, Shnam wrote: I am pretty sure that you start off with them and you need to let them charge.

Dam, they are completely copying the CoD formula. As good as it is, Halo is just not gonna be the same. All we are gonna see on the new game it EVERYONE spamming the cheap ass battle rifle and shot gun. The assault rifle is gonna lose it's charm. I guess Halo is trying to keep up with Modern Warfare.

I'm still buying the game haha

Top 50 Reviewers

Top 200 Medal Points

Follow me on miiverse MELLOWYELLOWHDR

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-17 05:32:39

Halo Reach is gunna kick ass big time!! Shud be comin out around fall/autumn. The assassinations look awesome and the new multiplayer is going to be awesome! This is gunna kick modern warfare 2's ass! There are going to be new guns like the needle rifle and new vehicles like the falcon. The multiplayer beta trailer is on youtube,watch it,it is awesome!!

Don't mess with me

BBS Signature

Response to Official Halo: Reach Thread 2010-04-17 14:16:32

At 4/17/10 05:32 AM, SP33DK1NG666 wrote: The assassinations look awesome and the new multiplayer is going to be awesome!it is awesome!!

I think you should work on expanding your vocabulary.