00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Punks of Newgrounds

36,839 Views | 528 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-03 13:13:23

Fair enough, I was never really one with RATM, was just making my input. I suppose they can count as punk if you look at it that way.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-08 21:09:44

What you guys were talking about moshing up there, sometimes there's douchebags but for the most part... you don't listen to ultra fast music just to stand there and watch. Metal moshpits are kind of different. Everybody at metal shows take each other too seriously.
The guy who said The Press Corpse was an awesome song is right, but seriously I have this huge urge to try and get people to move out of the whole "Misfits, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Anti Flag" stereotype of "real" punk.

Anyways, so what does everybody else here listen to other than punk? (or metal)
Anyone have last.fm?

You guys need to listen to more hardcore. Also anyone who likes Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, etc should really check out No Cash if they haven't already. Infinetly better.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-08 21:12:02

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-08 21:14:13

Anybody heard some good stuff? Mye ears are tired of my Anti-Flag I downloaded.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-08 21:47:46

At 2/8/10 09:09 PM, Struggle wrote:
Also anyone who likes Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, etc should really check out No Cash if they haven't already. Infinetly better.

Leftover Crack and Choking Victim are the same band, besides a name change and some other shit...

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-10 12:35:06

Free gig for me next Friday. Nothing big, just two local bands playing at a local pub. One of the bands being the band my dad once drummed for.

I'll need to try and coax some of my friends into coming. None of who are into the whole punk scene, but they might tag along any way. If not, I'm sure my dad will be up for it. More than willing to go along on my own if neither options exist.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-10 13:58:52

At 2/10/10 12:35 PM, GodsBitch wrote: Free gig for me next Friday. Nothing big, just two local bands playing at a local pub. One of the bands being the band my dad once drummed for.

Local shows are awesome, should be a good time regardless of whether or not you have to go alone.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-09 14:36:24

The snow is melting and that means I'm hanging out downtown a lot more now. All the people down there that I hang out with are basically like street punks and travelers/hitchhikers.

They're all awesome people and I might be traveling this summer with a few of them.

What do you guys think of GG allin?

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-20 16:37:20

At 5/30/09 01:52 PM, EpicFail wrote: Any of you guys like The Ramones at all, I got a new Ramones album today for 10 dollars.
Not a new album by them, but it's new to me...

Yea, I like the Ramones. I have a good amount of their songs, as I own a copy of their Anthology and Chrysalis Years compilation. There has to be well over 100 songs on those CDs alone.

Some of their songs I dislike a lot. They seem to have some really slow songs that I just can't stand listening to. I can't think of the names of the songs, but I know they exist.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-20 16:41:46

Stiff Little Fingers on Tuesday.

Might end up having to go on my own since I've not been able to get in touch with the guy I'm supposed to be going up with.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-20 17:12:22

At 3/20/10 04:41 PM, TheMaster wrote: Stiff Little Fingers on Tuesday.

Nice dude, that should be awesome.
Hopefully you don't have to go alone though.

I might go to a metal show tonight, was reading about the mosh pits convo we were having, and it just so happens I can get to a show for free tonight... So I dunno.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-20 18:22:02

At 3/20/10 05:12 PM, EpicFail wrote:
At 3/20/10 04:41 PM, TheMaster wrote: Stiff Little Fingers on Tuesday.
Nice dude, that should be awesome.

Seen them 3 times before, and they were the best 3 gigs I've ever been to. They're amazing live.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-21 08:19:33

Just stumbled across this awesome club!

I mostly like pop punk/hardcore stuff:

-Set Your Goals
-Four Year Strong
-The Wonder Years
-All or Nothing

Scanned through the pages in this topic and didnt find much support for pop-punk :( Dunno if many of you guys like bands like these.... but im gonna contribute anyways ;D

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-23 19:49:39

Just got in from SLF.

Awesome as always. Highlight of the night was probably Fly The Flag, seemed like EVERYONE in the audience was singing that one.

Can't wait for next year, then.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-23 21:41:49

Right on man, sounds awesome I'd love to see em.
I went to a metal show the other day, body is still sore.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-23 22:45:49

They played Liar's Club, too, which is a bit of a joke now. That was their "new" song on the 2007 tour I went to, supposedly from their new album, which STILL isn't out yet. It was written after Burns listened to a press conference between George Bush and Tony Blair, so it's not even topical any more. Decent track, though.

Next up is Dropkick Murphys on April 13th, then. [spunge] are supporting, and they're supposed to be good, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-24 12:45:25

At 3/23/10 10:45 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Next up is Dropkick Murphys on April 13th, then. [spunge] are supporting, and they're supposed to be good, too.

That should be awesome, I've missed them every time they've been around here. Love em though.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-24 16:13:30

At 3/24/10 12:45 PM, EpicFail wrote:
At 3/23/10 10:45 PM, TheMaster wrote:
That should be awesome, I've missed them every time they've been around here. Love em though.

Been 3 times. Stage invasion during Skinhead on the MBTA is always awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-03-24 18:15:35

Oh man, I've been listening to [spunge], and they're amazing. They're doing a show themselves in July, so if they hold up live, I'll be going to that too.

http://www.last.fm/music/[spunge]/_/Kick ing+Pigeons

That's a full track. Great stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-06 21:47:40

Hey, I'd love to join up here. I listen to a wide selection of punk music, mostly hardcore punk, crust punk, folk punk, anti-folk, blues punk, glam punk, experimental stuff, crossover genres, your standard punk rock (naturally), noise if you guys know what that is, noise rock, noise punk (although it's difficult to find sometimes), minimumalistic punk (meaning the use of stuff that wouldn't be normally considered instruments or 'stupid' kind of stuff like morrocos or bongos or pots & pans), plus a ton of other stuff. I also love David Bowie, but that's not related.

I enjoy discussing punk idealogies and music, as well as, of course, anarchism. I'm a supporter of anarcho-communism myself, but I'm open to any other ideas as far as political and anti-government ideas.

I enjoy writing, and a lot of my stuff focuses on darker or weider stuff and focuses on anti-establishment or anti-government philosophies. Both poetry and short stories. I've written a few plays too, one of them I turned into a film using a handheld camera. We've been editing for weeks now so it won't be done for a while now, but I'll post a link to a youtube video here when it is, becuase frankly, it's pretty badass. It's about scarecrows. I also have taken up drawing satirical and anti this and that cartoons. Just stupid stuff like bodies bent in weird or unrealistic ways (but that's not part of the message or anything, that's just how I draw). I'll draw stupid kinda stuff like a sea/squid thing yellin' stuff like "where are your manners boy" or people in suits with their faces/heads in an almost melted shape or just stupid stuff like that. I also paint and I love looking at political art or just art in general. Lee krasner is currently my favorite artist because of her work in abstract expressionism.

I play drums and I've loved them ever since I first picked up the two sticks. I'm in a two-person band with me and my friend who plays bass. We've played in quite a bit of shows, a lot of them benefiting charities and free concerts a eithert one of our houses. We have sold some cd's (homemade), and yeah, it's pretty fun. Most of our stuff is experimental musically, and our lyrics are real political and stuff.

I'm always open to new ideas or music, because I feel that if you are stubborn about your beliefs and let nothing through, you won't live life to the fullest an' all that bull. For example, one day out of the blue, I decided to try listening to Prince. And my god can the man not only write an incredible song, but he just beautifully composes all of them.

I can't stand it when people say things like "this isn't punk because it's mainstream", or "this guy is a poser because he only listens to the ramones". Punk is about self-expressionism in my opinion and individualism rather than what others label as punk or not punk. Anyways, I'd love to join up here and discuss punk ideas and beliefs, as well as music, which is also a big part of the culture I guess.

So yeah, I'd love to join up around here. Nice to see there's still punks out there (is it just me or do you feel like a hardass sayin' that) even if it isn't the 1980's.

Also fuck all this garbage out nowadays that's "hardcore". Death/metal/horror/ska/crunk core? Give me a break. But that's just me. I'm not one to hate music because it isn't classified as my tastes, but this deep throat 'screaming' with all the growls and stuff is just awful in my opinion. But that doesn't mean I hate people who listen to it. My closest friend is really into nu-metal (also garbage imo), but he's still a super cool guy.

Wow, I dunno why I practically wrote an autobiography here, but I just start thinking a get carried away. Ah well, this is it for real this time. I'd like to join up and I look forward to punk conversations. Thanks.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-06 23:48:14

Do Mods and people who follow the original ideals of the Hippies count as Punks?

What a shame, Mister Jensen.

I never asked for this, Mister Denton.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-09 16:44:20

I'd really wanna join
i currently listen to:
dropkick murphys
Rise against and
nirvana

Yea,I Got Arrested Because I Said Fuck,Fuck,Fuck,Fuck

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-09 16:56:08

Are Killswitch Engage punk?
If not, thank you for your time.

Hi, I'm a teenager who draws. Call me Wocky.

My deviantArt | My Tumblr | My Pixiv

----

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-09 17:12:41

At 4/9/10 04:56 PM, MaraquanWocky wrote: Are Killswitch Engage punk?
If not, thank you for your time.

No they are not.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-14 15:38:52

Anybody hear of a band called lightning bolt?

They're pretty fuckin' badass. (The first few screams that he does sounds sorta nu-metal almost, but that's nowhere near what they do). They incorporate noise rock, some elements of hardcore punk, and the drummer is just rediculous. (in this video he doesn't), but he usually wears a cutom-made mask with a telephone reciever stuffed up against his mouth where he sings into, to give it that more etchy quality. They're a duet, but it sounds like there's at least 10 people in the band because of all the noise stuff they do. I'd like to see them next time they go on tour, but i don't have any info on that. if anyone knows, just post it in here i guess.

but they're pretty awesome, and one of my more recent favorites.
but

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-14 16:07:43

I saw Dropkick Murphys last night, with [spunge] and Face To Face supporting.

[spunge] were fucking ace, but had a really short set. I think it's the only gig I've been to where the crowd actually got into a support band, rather than just standing there with a disapproving look waiting for the headline to come on. Everyone shanking to them was awesome.

Face To Face were average. Decent band, but they went on for way too long, and it was a bit disappointing that they were given the longer set, when the vastly superior [spunge] only got 6 or 7 songs.

Dropkick Murphys were the best I've seen them. Been twice before, and they were way better this time than at either of those. Didn't get up onto the stage for Skinhead on the MBTA, unfortunately. Finished with Boys on the Docks, which was a bit weird, since it's normally Skinhead they end on. Not complaining though, since Boys on the Docks is the better song.

[spunge] are coming back in a few months for a solo gig, and it's only £8.50, so I'll definitely be going to that too.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-14 17:02:05

Lets see. I listen to quite alot of punk music that spans alot of the sub genres including:
A, Blink-182, Devin Townsend,
Lamb of God, Neil Young,
Papa Roach, Plus-44, Radiohead,
Rise Against, Scars on Broadway,
Smashing Pumpkins, Squeese,
Static X, Sum 41, System of a Down,
The Adverts, The Buzzcocks and
The Offspring.

Punks of Newgrounds

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-14 17:06:44

At 4/14/10 05:02 PM, Decky1991 wrote: Lets see. I listen to quite alot of punk music that spans alot of the sub genres including:
Lamb of God, Neil Young,
The Offspring.

Soz for double posting.
Didn't put "can I join in there?" in there.
So ye..............Can I Join?

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-15 16:10:58

At 4/14/10 05:02 PM, Decky1991 wrote: Lets see. I listen to quite alot of punk music that spans alot of the sub genres including:
Lamb of God, Neil Young,
The Offspring.

Bleh, personally I can't stand pop punk. It makes my innards cringe just hearing their whiney voices that contain what they believe to be political criticisms, but really they end up criticizing much less than mainstream 70's music did (like hippies an' at). Not that I'm saying that it doesn't make it 'punk' (for those people who need a label for everything), there is a certain musical component that makes punk music punk, but in pop punk, it's just so. fucking. annoying. The music, I mean. Especially because, when you take something like the offspring, who sing about girls and purposefully swear to appear like a "cool rebellious band" to the youth so to say, they show their true nature to people who listen to more punk bands. Plus, just hearing any of those upbeat catchy songs makes me wanna drive off a cliff. And really? sum41? That shit makes me wanna cry when I look at what they've done to the music world. I just... it just fucking sucks in my opinion. And papa roach..., i don't even wanna go into that.

So call your music whatever you want, it won't change it. But I think you'll find that most of the punk people out there have a deep hatred for pop punk. Personally, I find this kinda stuff to be enjoyable. I just can't stand both when people label everything as this or that, and how that can change your music tastes; but what i hate the most is when people or bands claim to be punk when they know next to nothing about either the music or culture.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-04-15 18:01:26

At 4/15/10 04:10 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
Bleh, personally I can't stand pop punk. It makes my innards cringe just hearing their whiney voices that contain what they believe to be political criticisms, but really they end up criticizing much less than mainstream 70's music did (like hippies an' at). Not that I'm saying that it doesn't make it 'punk' (for those people who need a label for everything), there is a certain musical component that makes punk music punk, but in pop punk, it's just so. fucking. annoying. The music, I mean. Especially because, when you take something like the offspring, who sing about girls and purposefully swear to appear like a "cool rebellious band" to the youth so to say, they show their true nature to people who listen to more punk bands. Plus, just hearing any of those upbeat catchy songs makes me wanna drive off a cliff. And really? sum41? That shit makes me wanna cry when I look at what they've done to the music world. I just... it just fucking sucks in my opinion. And papa roach..., i don't even wanna go into that.

So call your music whatever you want, it won't change it. But I think you'll find that most of the punk people out there have a deep hatred for pop punk. Personally, I find this kinda stuff to be enjoyable. I just can't stand both when people label everything as this or that, and how that can change your music tastes; but what i hate the most is when people or bands claim to be punk when they know next to nothing about either the music or culture.

You're intitled to you'r own opinion.
I have started lisening to heavier and/or old punk music nowadays. But I still lisen to Blink 182, Sum 41 and The Offspring because its the music I have grown up lisening to. Plus I have an Offspring tattoo so i'm stuck with them, personally I think there the best pop punk band anyway. My main punk bands in current months are The Buzzcocks and The Adverts

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature