00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Punks of Newgrounds

36,808 Views | 528 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-23 14:15:40

Yeah, anyone can join, I don't care. Just don't be a dick.

No punk shows coming up, NOFX that I mentioned sold out, I was in tears almost.

There is a metal show tonight though, Behemoth is playing, who knows though, they'll probably pussy out because of all the snow, haha. I might go, friend offered to pay for me.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-23 14:19:41

At 1/23/10 02:15 PM, EpicFail wrote: Yeah, anyone can join, I don't care. Just don't be a dick.

No punk shows coming up, NOFX that I mentioned sold out, I was in tears almost.

There is a metal show tonight though, Behemoth is playing, who knows though, they'll probably pussy out because of all the snow, haha. I might go, friend offered to pay for me.

Alright then I'll join.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-23 17:33:43

Billy Talent III is the shizz-nit. Bought it a few days ago, the lyrics are way more badass than anything I've heard from them before. Now if only I could find Billy Talent I...

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-23 17:43:21

I prefer Billy Talent's first album, the second sucked, and the third is an alright one.. The first is the best though imo.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-24 06:34:20

At 1/23/10 05:43 PM, EpicFail wrote: I prefer Billy Talent's first album, the second sucked, and the third is an alright one.. The first is the best though imo.

Since when is Billy Talent classed as punk? No offense just heard some of their songs and it dosen't seem very punk to me. Punk to me is Sex pistols, Misfit, and so on.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-24 07:14:41

At 1/24/10 06:34 AM, Mismo wrote: Since when is Billy Talent classed as punk? No offense just heard some of their songs and it dosen't seem very punk to me. Punk to me is Sex pistols, Misfit, and so on.

People have their different beliefs to what is and isn't punk. It really is hard to say if a band is punk, without offending someone else.

I don't consider a lot of the stuff being released today as punk. My taste will always be the late 70s, the 80s and part of the 90s British punk and oi! scene. It was all basic and rough sounding. It was never made to perfection, which I liked about it. Sadly I missed out on these years, but I've often been told about the music and the lifestyles back then by my Dad.

Not sure if you'd class this band as punk, but I'm really liking an Irish band called Therapy? (question mark is part of their name). I have their Troublegum album, and I just think it is awesome. They are probably more alternative, possibly verging on metal, but I just thought they might spark some interest in you guys. It's definitely worth a listen.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-30 16:57:04

I've been listening to punk for almost a decade, which is the vast majority of my life. It's beyond all the reckognized punk bands like Pennywise, NOFX, the misfits, etc.
You need to look more into it, there's better shit out there. I used to listen to reatreded amounts of ska, but now i can proudly say fuck 3rd wave, it sucks most of the time, except Against All Authority. Listen to alot of acoustic punk/anarcho, and i listen to alot of crust now too.
The thing is, don't limit yourself to one genre. Dont' limit yourself to sub-genres ("I don't just like punk, I like crustpunk and anarchopunk and skatepunk too!!!")

Listening to punk is great. Sometimes there's truly great lyrics and catchy tunes (when it's not just OIOI! UP THE PUNX! SNIFFIN GLUE" like the casualties). But open up your mind. For example, if i was to say:
I listen to emo and screamo music.

Most of you would be the first to knock the genre, and to call it shit.
To be honest I probably like it just as much or more. Screamo doesn't mean Job for a Cowboy or something, it means Jeromes Dream, it means Moldar, it means Heroin.
There's more passion in it too.
Fucking Jeromes Dream's singer opted not to use a microphone while performing live, instead screaming unamplified at the top of his lungs.

That beats them wanting me to pay 30 dollars to see the Casualties. Why were the Casualties performing with Less Than Jake anyways? They're two completely different types of music, and the bands have complete opposite lifestyles. It was rhetorical. They were porferming together because they knew they could sell more tickets and make more money if they put two powerhouses together even if they had nothing in common.

Another this is fashion. It's a fucking uniform. Everytime i go to a punk show i count at least 10 or 11 mohawks. They've all got their Doc Martens and their vests.

Punk's great, don't get me wrong.
it's just when you spend too much time wrapped up in it it really fucking bugs you.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-30 17:06:27

NOFX sold out, but that's alright. One of my favorite black metal bands is playing a show here 9 days after my birthday, so that's even better.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-30 17:08:36

At 1/30/10 04:57 PM, Struggle wrote: Why were the Casualties performing with Less Than Jake anyways?

Euugh, saw them the first time I saw Dropkick Murphys, in split gig (as in, one wasn't supporting the other, it was billed as "Dropkick Murphys/Less Than Jake", not "X, featuring Y" or whatever, so they had equal length sets).

They were decent performers, but not the sort of music for me.

Not as bad as when I saw Flogging Molly, though. It was the "Eastpak Antidote Tour", which I assume is a label or sponsor or something, and it was Flogging Molly headlining, supported by Street Dogs, some other relatively unknown punk band (I forget their name), and this band called "Skindred".

It should have been an ace gig. Flogging Molly and Streets Dogs are both great bands, and I turned up just after the start of Street Dogs' set, having missed the other punk band, and they were good, but then this fucking Skindred comes on.

It was without a doubt the worst thing I have ever heard. They billed themselves as "Reggae Metal", but it was really just "black guy screaming over noise". It was AWFUL, and then they had the fucking nerve to have a go at the crowd for not getting into it. This is a crowd of Flogging Molly fans, they're not likely to like the shite they play.

Only other incident like this I've had is when I first saw The Pogues. They had this wank indie band supporting them, "The Holloways", and the entire crowd stood motionless, arms folded for the entire set. Most Pogues fans are the same sort of people who were into the 70s or 80s punk scene, they're totally the wrong audience for some shitty indie band.

Other two times I've seen the Pogues they had awesome support, though. Urban Voodoo Machine in 2008, and then Marseille Figs in 2009. Hadn't heard of either before the gig, but they were both great.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-30 17:23:17

At 1/30/10 05:08 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 1/30/10 04:57 PM, Struggle wrote: Why were the Casualties performing with Less Than Jake anyways?
Euugh, saw them the first time I saw Dropkick Murphys, in split gig (as in, one wasn't supporting the other, it was billed as "Dropkick Murphys/Less Than Jake", not "X, featuring Y" or whatever, so they had equal length sets).

I saw this localish band once called Keepin 6, and they're kind of a ska/reggae/punk outfit. All the other badns on the bill were generally the same idea and then all these wiggers get up on stage randomly and start rapping. This is the set where everyone stepped outside for a cigarette.

I still don't know why they were booked for this gig.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-31 01:15:13

This is the story of my first punk show I posted this in general a few years back. I found out the first band was everybody out! who went on to become my favorite live band ever. I get a great nostalgic feeliing from reading this so I thought I'd share.

58. Topic: My first punk showPosted: 09/16/07 07:40 PM
Forum: General
That was one fucking awesome show.

The first band i had never heard of but they got the audience warmed up pretty fucking quickly. A mosh pit started around me immediatly and I had a few runs through, took out a few people but the crowd picked up anybosy who fell,so I get to the outer circle of the pit to get some air in my lungs because 20 minutes in and im beat already. This guy behind me keeps kicking me i the knee. I just turnaround for a second and BAM one of the kids in the pit jumped 2 rows of people and headbuts me in the face. Broken nose. Still don't give a shit.

Second band comes on i'm still only breathing out my mouth. My friend wanted to go in the pit I push him in. He's only about 5'5 130 lbs. He's getting thrown like a ragdoll. He makes his way back over to me and asks me to catapult him in. The guy in front of us wearing a black denim jacket with black flag and bad brains patches all over it sees what we were doing and offers to help. We threw this poor S.O.B into this pit and dropped the whole fucking thing. 17 people hit the ground and me and bad brains guy are laughing our asses off.
After the second band finishes up there is about a 15-20 minute gap between then and murphys coming on. The crowd start a shoving match next to me. I get pulled in, theres no music playing we are just beating the crap out of each other. This big and I mean big dude next to me starts sceaming HOLD THE LINE SPARTANS and he and a bunch of his friends did the bark from the 300.

Murphys finally comes on and me and my friends rush tword the front of the stage. We get with in three rows of the front. Al Barr is five feet away from me. I reach out my fist and he pounds it. I'm sandwiched against the guardrail for the rest of the show. The crowd really comes alive at Baroom Hero Tessie and shipping up to Boston especially. A soon as ken kasey said "this is it you know how we end it" mw and my friends jump the guardrail and get onstage for skinhead on the MBTA. There had to be about 150 people on stage moshing. I was right between Al Barr and Mark Orrel. My buddy got Kaseys pick and an autograph I got my bloody shirt torn off.

What a fucking show. I still can't hear right.

Thanks, Poxpower

people with a sense of religous purity washed their butts and avoided getting staph...

that doesn't make religion useful, that makes washing your ass useful

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-31 12:41:28

I like punk shows a lot, but I prefer metal shows honestly. They do circle pits here for punk shows, ya know, kinda like running/dancing in a circle, and when they get close to somebody they push them and shit, that's nothing. I think it's kinda pathetic, punk shows should have mosh pits rather than circle pits.

That's why I don't go to punk shows often, I go to metal shows every time I possibly can though, the mosh pits are great, my first pit I broke a guys nose with the back of my head, and I pissed off this one guy at the front of the stage because I knocked over his beers, haha. Good times. I love my local metal scene, our punk scene needs some serious CPR.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-31 14:12:04

At 1/31/10 12:41 PM, EpicFail wrote: punk shows should have mosh pits rather than circle pits.

Punk shows have plenty of mosh pits, although metal is usually better suited for a mosh pit. I don't see much difference between the two types of shows.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-31 14:26:56

At 1/31/10 02:12 PM, DocSprite wrote:
At 1/31/10 12:41 PM, EpicFail wrote: punk shows should have mosh pits rather than circle pits.
Punk shows have plenty of mosh pits, although metal is usually better suited for a mosh pit. I don't see much difference between the two types of shows.

Yeah, I don't know what it is with the scene here but they don't really MOSH at punk shows, they just have circle pits. So I'll just stand by the bar and get drunk, then half way through the show when I've drank enough I'll go try starting a real mosh pit or I'll go on the stage and sing with the bands. Haha.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-01-31 19:48:09

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 08:14:56

Moshing is fucking shit.

"HURR DURR LET'S HAVE A FIGHT THAT'S WHAT GIGS ARE FOR NOT MUSIC RIGHT?"

Dance and push about all you want, but once people start throwing punches or headbutting each other, it's just stupid.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 09:00:16

At 2/1/10 08:14 AM, TheMaster wrote: Moshing is fucking shit.

"HURR DURR LET'S HAVE A FIGHT THAT'S WHAT GIGS ARE FOR NOT MUSIC RIGHT?"

Dance and push about all you want, but once people start throwing punches or headbutting each other, it's just stupid.

I agree.
Even though i listen to metal and punk, i don't think the general intelligence level of metal and punk fans is very high.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 11:52:56

At 1/31/10 07:48 PM, DocSprite wrote: PROTIP: Really, really, really awesome song.

Pretty good, but not their best.

I really like Spaz's House Destruction Party, Turncoat and Underground Network.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 12:55:36

At 2/1/10 08:14 AM, TheMaster wrote:

Moshing isn't about throwing punches and headbutting people. That is stupid, it's a circle of people pushing each other, people don't really throw punches in them, if anything breaks in a mosh pit, a nose or something, that's an accident. I broke a guys nose with the back of my head just because I got pushed into them, doesn't mean shit.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 13:09:34

At 2/1/10 12:55 PM, EpicFail wrote:
At 2/1/10 08:14 AM, TheMaster wrote:
Moshing isn't about throwing punches and headbutting people. That is stupid, it's a circle of people pushing each other, people don't really throw punches in them, if anything breaks in a mosh pit, a nose or something, that's an accident. I broke a guys nose with the back of my head just because I got pushed into them, doesn't mean shit.

I've yet to be in a pit that didn't have some twat who thinks he's Jackie Chan throwing punches and kicks around.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 13:36:30

At 2/1/10 01:09 PM, TheMaster wrote:
I've yet to be in a pit that didn't have some twat who thinks he's Jackie Chan throwing punches and kicks around.

Yeah, well, those guys are idiots. I love my local metal scene because we all like each other, even though I've just started going to the local metal shows in somewhat late 2009, I've gotten to know many of the people, they know how to mosh, and they're chill if I accidentally break their nose apparently, so that's good.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 13:46:18

I do like watching the pits at shows by older punk bands, though.

Stiff Little Fingers is always hilarious, because you have the 13/14 year old kids who've just heard of them moshing, and then the fucking 40 year old men built like tanks who've been with the scene since the 80s turn up and demolish everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-01 22:44:15

May I join this forum? I have my list of bands and stuff.

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 10:38:27

At 2/1/10 01:46 PM, TheMaster wrote: I do like watching the pits at shows by older punk bands, though.

Stiff Little Fingers is always hilarious, because you have the 13/14 year old kids who've just heard of them moshing, and then the fucking 40 year old men built like tanks who've been with the scene since the 80s turn up and demolish everyone.

I yea, I know what you mean. It's quality to watch when some of the older Skinheads are in there. They are always built up like nothing on earth and seem to just wipeout everything else. This was definitely the case with the Exploited gig I was at. The skinheads were just throwing each other around and play fighting. I wouldn't really want to end up in the middle of that. Although I was 14 back then and I'm a fair bit bigger now.

I remember the bouncers had a thing about trying to split them up, and after a while there was a small fight with the Skinheads and the bouncers (who were clearly hardcore body builders). One of the skinheads got thrown out, and so the rest of his friends go running after him. I have no idea what happened after that. I don't recall seeing them for the rest of the night.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 11:50:01

At 2/1/10 10:44 PM, Zakkles wrote: May I join this forum? I have my list of bands and stuff.

You don't have to ask.

Also, yes, pits with guys in their forties and small 15 year old kids is hilarious, I've seen it, and have been in many pits with people in their forties (personally know most of them), and at the local shows at the small venues people in the bands will mosh with everybody when the other band is playing.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 16:15:10

Okay cool.
Though I don't know all of the sub-genres of punk, I do know all of the bands I like.

Antiflag
The Ramones
Ordinary Boys
Forward Forward
Rage Against the Machine
Rise Against
Candlebox
The Sleeping

[insert drumroll and obvious observation here, dumbass]

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 16:57:30

I don't see how Rage Against The Machine fits under the punk genre, they're kind of like metal with funk. Haha.

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 17:10:32

At 2/2/10 04:57 PM, EpicFail wrote: I don't see how Rage Against The Machine fits under the punk genre, they're kind of like metal with funk. Haha.

Yea, but the lyrics are of punk nature, I believe. Don't listen to them all that much, but my younger brother is quite the fan.

Also, I know the singer has a lot of interest in the punk scene.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 17:12:34

I've probably posted them before, but is anyone into Spoiler NYC?

Die Alone is the best track Youtube has, and it's pretty ace in itself, but their other stuff is better.

I really like "Every Person Is Corrupt" and "High Friends In Low Places".

They've only done the one album, Grease Fire In Hell's Kitchen, and it's on Spotify if you want to check it out.

BBS Signature

Response to Punks of Newgrounds 2010-02-02 23:13:41

At a US bombs/ Far from Finished show there was this one older skinhead who THREW me through the pit wall witch was about 5 people thick and im no small guy at 6 foot 4 and 200lbs easy. He was also a real cool guy we talked a bit after the show and it tuns out the middle east hired him just to make sure it was a circle pit. Fuckin tank that guy was.

Also Zack de la Roca and Tom Morrelo were both huge Black Flag and Bad Brains fans and I do consider Rage to be punk if only for their Fuck the Government attitude.

Thanks, Poxpower

people with a sense of religous purity washed their butts and avoided getting staph...

that doesn't make religion useful, that makes washing your ass useful