00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mihaithecool just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,018 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-25 18:07:12

At 4/25/09 05:32 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Ok, thanks for the CPU info man.
It's pretty confusing...but I guess I'll just save up for the intel 2.8 and buy it one day when it's a bigger issue. For now, I'm alright.

Why not the AMD, it's clearly better.

Why are you deciding stuff based on the opinion of ONE user (PolishMatt).

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-25 18:26:23

Btw @ thewolfe

it depends how much money you want to put in

If you want it cheap get the AMD 7750, 2.7 GHz stock but it's faster than the other processor and it has L3 cache.

If you are gonna put in some more money get the 720BE, it's a golden processor. Cheap, fast, 7.5 MB total cache, overclocks like a beast

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-25 19:28:03

At 4/25/09 06:07 PM, TacoFreak wrote:

Well, it's not clear to me. The whole cache thing is a little confusing, and it seems that the linked AMD has lower cache, and if that means lower performance, than the difference in price isn't as much of a bonus, and is just a "You get what you pay for"

Well, he seems to:
*Know what he's doing
*He took the time to write a long ass explanation which is appreciated,
*No one else really elaborated as much as he did,
*He's helped me in the past, etc.
-I'm not saying I don't trust you, just that I have more info from him. If you have something to add I'd love to hear it, I'm here to learn =)

At 4/25/09 06:26 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Btw @ thewolfe

Yes?

Well, as I've said before I only have around 500-700 bucks, and I still need/want to buy:
-A new monitor
-New speakers
-Soundcard
-And now it looks like a new wifi card

If you want it cheap get the AMD 7750, 2.7 GHz stock but it's faster than the other processor and it has L3 cache.

Link please? And how much is it?

If you are gonna put in some more money get the 720BE, it's a golden processor. Cheap, fast, 7.5 MB total cache, overclocks like a beast

Same as above please^

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-25 20:45:20

At 4/25/09 07:28 PM, TheWolfe wrote:
At 4/25/09 06:07 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
Well, it's not clear to me. The whole cache thing is a little confusing, and it seems that the linked AMD has lower cache, and if that means lower performance, than the difference in price isn't as much of a bonus, and is just a "You get what you pay for"
Well, he seems to:
*Know what he's doing
*He took the time to write a long ass explanation which is appreciated,
*No one else really elaborated as much as he did,
*He's helped me in the past, etc.
-I'm not saying I don't trust you, just that I have more info from him. If you have something to add I'd love to hear it, I'm here to learn =)

At 4/25/09 06:26 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Btw @ thewolfe
Yes?
Well, as I've said before I only have around 500-700 bucks, and I still need/want to buy:
-A new monitor
-New speakers
-Soundcard
-And now it looks like a new wifi card
Link please? And how much is it?
Same as above please^

Okay.

First for the CPU, I'll admit that the Intel processor is better, not by a lot, but better. Although I can say that it is not worth 120 dollars.

When I had my old cpu which had also 1MB of cache it was fine. I didn't see anything wrong with it so I can't really say the Intel would be much better. My new one has 6MB L3 Cache and 1.5 MB L2 cache and I don't really see much of a difference in multitasking or what not. FPS in games has increased though.

While I'm not saying PolishMatt's opinion is wrong, there are many opinions out there and if you want the best choice, then I strongly recommend asking on a computer forum. The one I go on, www.overclock.net is full of computer geeks like me and they can help with a lot of stuff.

Here's the 7750, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103300

The 720 BE is more expensive at 140 USD and a mobo which will probably cost you 120-ish. Listen to this though, this cpu should last you a long time because it's absolutely great. It's about the same performance clock for clock as a E8400. It also has an extra core and 6MB of L3 cache. Also note that it overclocks very easily. On stock voltage you can get 3.3-3.4 GHz and 3.6 GHz without raising voltage too much. It's extremely cool, I had 33'C load on stock voltage with my aftermarket cooler which isn't the best.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 02:23:06

TheWolfe, what motherboard do you have now? What socket type? If it's 775, you are way better off buying a new Intel CPU, since you don't have to waste/spend any money on a new mobo.

If it's 'just' a P4, you should consider a few things.
Performance versus cost.

If you are on a really tight budget, but still want to update a few parts (Or buy a whole new computer, whatever :)), you should consider AMD as a good alternative. However, the extra cache is pretty useful, and Intel is more durable in general.

I don't have a lot of time for an elaborate post right now, probably later this day.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 03:35:54

Wow. I am having trouble with CS3 Photoshop. I can't even make shapes have no fill, and just have a colored outline to highlight things. I had to use the line tool to "circle" the info in these pics...and I don't even know how to adjust the thickness of the line...
wtf?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 06:55:23

At 4/26/09 03:35 AM, TheWolfe wrote: Wow. I am having trouble with CS3 Photoshop. I can't even make shapes have no fill, and just have a colored outline to highlight things. I had to use the line tool to "circle" the info in these pics...and I don't even know how to adjust the thickness of the line...
wtf?

Than obviously, you shouldn't waste any money on a new motherboard, unless there are things you aren't satisfied with. Just get a new Intel CPU, and you're set.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 07:43:59

At 4/26/09 06:55 AM, SuperFlonic wrote:
At 4/26/09 03:35 AM, TheWolfe wrote: Wow. I am having trouble with CS3 Photoshop. I can't even make shapes have no fill, and just have a colored outline to highlight things. I had to use the line tool to "circle" the info in these pics...and I don't even know how to adjust the thickness of the line...
wtf?
Than obviously, you shouldn't waste any money on a new motherboard, unless there are things you aren't satisfied with. Just get a new Intel CPU, and you're set.

Yeah get a E8400 and you're set.

Here's my final overclock with this motherboard.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id =553399

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 10:06:19

At 4/26/09 07:43 AM, TacoFreak wrote: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id =553399

Wow, that is very, very nice.
What was the original clock speed again?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 16:23:13

At 4/26/09 10:06 AM, SuperFlonic wrote:
At 4/26/09 07:43 AM, TacoFreak wrote: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id =553399

14 x 200 = 2800 MHz.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 16:34:22

At 4/26/09 04:23 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
14 x 200 = 2800 MHz.

What are you cooling that thing with/what are the temps?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 16:53:36

At 4/26/09 04:34 PM, TheWolfe wrote:
At 4/26/09 04:23 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
14 x 200 = 2800 MHz.
What are you cooling that thing with/what are the temps?

A 10 dollar aftermarket cooler with a 5 dollar thermal paste.

Idle temps are 33'C or what not and stress test load is 45'C.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 21:09:03

guys I'm addicted to benching I need to do more

should I get some cheap ass P4s or some cheapass gpus. or maybe i should SLI some cheap ass cards

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-26 23:43:58

At 4/26/09 09:09 PM, TacoFreak wrote: guys I'm addicted to benching I need to do more

should I get some cheap ass P4s or some cheapass gpus. or maybe i should SLI some cheap ass cards

Yeah and quickly pack the remainder of money into a fire. Cereal, think about this rationally; the only thing that you're going to get out of this is some numbers on a computer screen that are not even guaranteed and if succeeded in obtaining; will make some people on the other side of the world angry and upset. You will probably fry one or two of those P4s as well and the performance you get out of the machine won't be near that of what a new machine could provide if you decide to save the money rather than just blow it for an afternoon full of fun.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 02:26:21

At 4/26/09 11:43 PM, PolishMatt wrote: You will probably fry one or two of those P4s as well and the performance you get out of the machine won't be near that of what a new machine could provide if you decide to save the money rather than just blow it for an afternoon full of fun.

True. Try saving money instead of using it all on some nonsense parts, which aren't going to do any good anyway.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 05:09:22

He's talking about hardware he finds on ebay for like 5 bucks a pop. It's easy to win money by HWbot benching all you need are parts that are rare to be submitted.

My stepdad finally needs that computer of his, and the parts ship out today. :DDDDDDD

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 10:31:58

Lollerskates.

The 7750 has two hidden cores, and can now be activated. Wow, does anyone know why AMD brings out CPUs with disabled cores?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 13:28:21

At 4/27/09 10:31 AM, SuperFlonic wrote: Lollerskates.

The 7750 has two hidden cores, and can now be activated. Wow, does anyone know why AMD brings out CPUs with disabled cores?

most of the time they don't work

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 14:35:05

At 4/27/09 01:28 PM, TacoFreak wrote: most of the time they don't work

Haha, I love it! Intel had to intentionally burn their Pentiums to make Celerons with disabled instruction sets, here AMD just throws half of their Quad-cores as Dual-cores. My dad still uses a Celeron in his rig and it's so slow : )

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-27 14:41:40

At 4/27/09 02:35 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 4/27/09 01:28 PM, TacoFreak wrote: most of the time they don't work
Haha, I love it! Intel had to intentionally burn their Pentiums to make Celerons with disabled instruction sets, here AMD just throws half of their Quad-cores as Dual-cores. My dad still uses a Celeron in his rig and it's so slow : )

i pwn u

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-28 02:15:56

Tried dual-booting my Rig's Windows 7 with XP, but failed. It was odd, XP brought up all my disks with their directory letters being all switched around and I had told it to just install on a nice 250GB partition on a disk that is I'm not currently using for my other OS(s) but it still (for some strange reason) decides to make tiny 1mb partitions surrounding all my disk and thous making my computer unbootable but 10 hours later and I fixed it and I got them to dual-boot. Remember kids, unplug every disk except the one you plan on placing an OS on when faced with the job of having to install an OS. I was going to also throw Ubuntu on there but I said fuck it.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-28 22:34:52

At 4/28/09 10:21 PM, TECh2o wrote: I'm still kind of afraid to show her though, knowing that she'll yell at me for not listening.

Just tell her you fixed it. There is no reason why she should be angry at you and tell her that you were simply cleaning it because it would of fried sooner or later anyways because of the dust, and even worse (better) it could of happened at night when everyone is sleeping. Let her sit on that thought for a day or two. Expect cake!

a computer that used to run Windows 95.

Your mother considers a computer that still runs W95, expensive? You could get a P4 3.2Ghz, WD 7.2K 250GB, 800Mhz 2GB machine that would be even Vista worthy, for just 200$.

Though I can tell it has a little more power than my old one

How so?

I'm not sure of the wattage though.

It says it on the side along with the other specs.

its running a little warm (about 45c)

What are you using to measure the temperature? To my knowledge, there is no PSU heat sensors.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-28 23:00:19

I think Tech should just buy his own $500 computer, end of story.

As you guys know, I have dual boot. It's XP MCE and W7 Build 7057.
The other day I booted in XP (As I do 9/10s of the time) and it opened up fine, and then after awhile (less than 60seconds) the folders and taskbar wouldn't respond. Then my mouse stopped working, the keyboard wouldn't do anything, and the whole thing froze. I have a video of this, I'll upload it in a while.
*Also, today I booted, and XP ran a CHKDSK, repaired some files and deleted others. I had no idea what it was doing, only hoping it would help. But alas, nothing changed.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-29 16:18:56

Heres mah laptop specs...

10,000 RPM 720 gig e-SATA II Harddrive (by SeaGate [I think])
16 gigs of DDR3 RAM
1GB DDR3 Memory Nvidia GeForce 9800m GTX
1080p built in glass flush screen with true 64 bit OS
Dual Quad core at 5 GHZ a core
12 MB l2 cache with 2mb FSB

Lol don't even make me go to the Desktop :3

Don't even need it, this build runs so great.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-29 19:09:49

At 4/29/09 04:18 PM, Slipstreamer wrote: Dual Quad core...

say what?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-29 19:10:34

At 4/29/09 04:18 PM, Slipstreamer wrote: Heres mah laptop specs...

Is this a fucking joke? Aside from the fact that humanity has still not made hardware that meets half of those specs, something like that would cost at least 10 grand and make you look like a douchebag due to the fact that it would be at least 15 lbs.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-30 05:11:02

To get my motherboard's RMA approved I need the original invoice or receipt, which I don't think I have. I may end up with a brick now.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-30 09:45:49

At 4/29/09 07:10 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 4/29/09 04:18 PM, Slipstreamer wrote: Heres mah laptop specs...
Is this a fucking joke?

WOW, AWESOME IMMA GET SUM 10K RPM DRIVES, EACH OF 1000000TB LOLOL.

And lol.

12 MB l2 cache with 2mb FSB

I didn't know the FSB has anything to do with storage size.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-30 09:47:09

At 4/30/09 05:11 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: To get my motherboard's RMA approved I need the original invoice or receipt, which I don't think I have. I may end up with a brick now.

Couldn't you get a copy of a receipt from where ever you bought it? It's nonsense (at least over here) that you MUST use the original receipt. It's against the law even.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-04-30 11:15:11

So I overclocked my DDR ram from 333 MHz 2.5-3-3-8 to 460MHz, 2-3-3-8

DDR2 wise, that's like from 666 MHz to 920 MHz

talk about pro