00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

172,407 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-13 14:27:36

I just want to thank you all for the positive comments about my art :-D

Icelandic Vitleysingur

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-13 21:05:59

At 8/13/09 11:40 AM, Aleks55 wrote:
At 8/13/09 07:55 AM, Soapbubble wrote:
At 8/12/09 07:18 PM, vitleysingur wrote: I painted this picture, hope you enjoy !
Wouldn't mind pillaging HER village, knowhatimean?
Now I don't knowhatyoumean.

But you used to?

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-14 03:15:59

At 8/13/09 09:05 PM, Soapbubble wrote:
But you used to?

Funny typos FTW!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-14 05:40:52

What would we do without 'em?

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-14 18:11:27

At 8/14/09 03:15 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 8/13/09 09:05 PM, Soapbubble wrote:
But you used to?
Funny typos FTW!

God dangit

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-14 20:03:31

At 8/14/09 06:11 PM, Aleks55 wrote:
God dangit

Relax, it's okay. You're awesome, I'm not retarded, is all good.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-15 07:25:30

At 8/14/09 10:41 PM, CrabPope wrote: Wow, I would have thought this thread would have died after sirtom tried to rape and pillage his school.

Yeah, nice surprise, isn't it?

I just started posting, so.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-15 10:41:17

At 8/14/09 10:41 PM, CrabPope wrote: Wow, I would have thought this thread would have died after sirtom tried to rape and pillage his school.

Uhm, well, first of all, weclome to the Niding list.
Second of all, why would this thread die without Sirtom?
Ever heard of a second-in-command?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-15 17:21:27

HAPPY CLOCK DAY, TRELLS.

Mead is on me, today.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-16 05:24:16

At 8/15/09 05:21 PM, Soapbubble wrote: HAPPY CLOCK DAY, TRELLS.

Mead is on me, today.

Bah, the portal was filled with overrated spam...what a nice Clcok Day...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-17 01:01:13

Free spammy clock cartoon for everyone!

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-17 04:15:02

At 8/17/09 01:01 AM, Aleks55 wrote: Free spammy clock cartoon for everyone!

How does that make you happy?Everyone is sumbitting shit knowing that it will pass no matter what...
I mean, how can you just vote 5 on everything you see?I couldn't possibly do that and feel good afterwards...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-18 02:52:07

Some time ago there was a small discussion about Viking magic, and I thought it was time for me to put my thoughts about into print.

The Vikings in my opinion probably didn't care very much for magic as they saw it as unmanly and cowardly. But then again, if they thought it would mean advantages for themselves they would most probably use it!

I separate magic into three different types: Symbol magic, sejd and galdr.

Symbol magic would be everyday magic such as amulets, including carving runes into things for protection and also blot (sacrifices) and other religious rituals. Omens are also part of symbol magic.

Sejd was practised by women only, and the name is connected to the word for seing. A sejdkona (almost the same as witch) could see things not seen by others, for example invisible evil spirits, curses and perhaps even the future. Of course they also had the ability to counteract spirits and curses. These women were also known as a Völva/Vala, and seems to have been greatly honoured.

Galdr were magic songs and the name suggests that they were sung in a high pitched voice imitating a cocks crow. The only person who ever used them was Odin.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-18 06:24:34

At 8/18/09 02:52 AM, vdviking wrote: The Vikings in my opinion probably didn't care very much for magic as they saw it as unmanly and cowardly. But then again, if they thought it would mean advantages for themselves they would most probably use it!

Yeah, well, so they wanted proof that it works, and since they didn't get any they didn't use use it amirite?

I separate magic into three different types: Symbol magic, sejd and galdr.
Galdr were magic songs and the name suggests that they were sung in a high pitched voice imitating a cocks crow. The only person who ever used them was Odin.

Lol, why would they imitate a cock's crow?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-18 14:26:19

At 8/17/09 04:15 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
How does that make you happy?Everyone is sumbitting shit knowing that it will pass no matter what...
I mean, how can you just vote 5 on everything you see?I couldn't possibly do that and feel good afterwards...

I was just making a joke sorry.

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-19 03:09:40

At 8/18/09 06:24 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 8/18/09 02:52 AM, vdviking wrote:
Lol, why would they imitate a cock's crow?

To understand this better you have to be aware that the Odin cult originally was shamanistic, and that a common part of a shaman's rituals was to transcend into a higher state of mind, going into trance, to be able to communicate with gods or spirits. To achieve this the shaman used several tools, alcohol or drugs, fasting or frenzied music and songs and probably a combination of several. The Vikings' galdrs are the cultural heritage of these songs.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-19 08:02:13

At 8/19/09 03:09 AM, vdviking wrote: To understand this better you have to be aware that the Odin cult originally was shamanistic, and that a common part of a shaman's rituals was to transcend into a higher state of mind, going into trance, to be able to communicate with gods or spirits. To achieve this the shaman used several tools, alcohol or drugs, fasting or frenzied music and songs and probably a combination of several. The Vikings' galdrs are the cultural heritage of these songs.

Yeah as far as l know shamans all around the world use some kind of drugs to go into trance and see some kind of "visions"..

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-19 17:01:16

At 8/17/09 04:15 AM, HeavyTank wrote:

Sheesh, no-ones forcing you. Just vote 2 on everything. Still get the saves, but you don't up the score much.

For the record, I voted five.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-25 02:26:36

At 8/19/09 08:02 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
Yeah as far as l know shamans all around the world use some kind of drugs to go into trance and see some kind of "visions"..

I also know that when they were into trance their eyes were whie and they were foaming from their mouth. This happens because the organism makes careless acts to try to remove the drugs. During this state, the mind cannot think, so the shaman "sees" his thought and he believes that these are visions:)

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-26 03:51:06

At 8/25/09 02:26 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote:
At 8/19/09 08:02 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
I also know that when they were into trance their eyes were whie and they were foaming from their mouth. This happens because the organism makes careless acts to try to remove the drugs. During this state, the mind cannot think, so the shaman "sees" his thought and he believes that these are visions:)

It is pretty much the same thing with the North American Indian tradition of Totem or Spirit walk where you supposed to walk out into the wild with no food or water. After a while, perhaps several days, and being delirious from lack of food and water you will see your totem or protective spirit.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-26 04:10:04

At 8/25/09 02:26 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote:

At 8/26/09 03:51 AM, vdviking wrote: It is pretty much the same thing with the North American Indian tradition of Totem or Spirit walk where you supposed to walk out into the wild with no food or water. After a while, perhaps several days, and being delirious from lack of food and water you will see your totem or protective spirit.

Yeah, buts most of the americans died from that because they were holding themselves not to fall asleep or stuff like that and then... PAF!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-26 06:23:03

At 8/26/09 03:51 AM, vdviking wrote: It is pretty much the same thing with the North American Indian tradition of Totem or Spirit walk where you supposed to walk out into the wild with no food or water. After a while, perhaps several days, and being delirious from lack of food and water you will see your totem or protective spirit.

Yeah, but you still have to "see" them..l mean, normally you would see some visions, but not spirits...it is your will to see spirits plus the lack of food and water that create this images right?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-27 02:50:15

I'm quite exited - the news that a old ship burial from the 7th century has just been found in Sweden have just come out. The skeletons of two people, perhaps a man and a woman, and several animals have been found inside the burnt ship. It is the first find of this kind of burial in Sweden, a practise more known from the British Isles. This may change what we thought we knew about pre-Viking era culture in Sweden.

I will try to keep you posted about further developments.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-29 05:25:57

At 8/27/09 02:50 AM, vdviking wrote: I'm quite exited - the news that a old ship burial from the 7th century has just been found in Sweden have just come out. The skeletons of two people, perhaps a man and a woman, and several animals have been found inside the burnt ship. It is the first find of this kind of burial in Sweden, a practise more known from the British Isles. This may change what we thought we knew about pre-Viking era culture in Sweden.

Holy shit!That's awesome!By the way, what could change about what we thought about the Pre-Vking era?

I will try to keep you posted about further developments.

Please do.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-29 06:05:09

At 8/26/09 06:23 AM, HeavyTank wrote:

Yeah, but you still have to "see" them..l mean, normally you would see some visions, but not spirits...it is your will to see spirits plus the lack of food and water that create this images right?

I mean that they were IMAGINING seeing stuff that looked like spirit:)

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-29 07:44:34

At 8/29/09 05:25 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Holy shit!That's awesome!By the way, what could change about what we thought about the Pre-Vking era?

Basically were the so called Cradle of Sweden were located. Either in the East, around the area where the ship was found, or more to the West. And also how advanced the pre-Viking culture was, and to what extent they had contact with other foreign cultures.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-30 09:32:29

At 8/29/09 07:44 AM, vdviking wrote:
Basically were the so called Cradle of Sweden were located. Either in the East, around the area where the ship was found, or more to the West. And also how advanced the pre-Viking culture was, and to what extent they had contact with other foreign cultures.

Good...make sure to inform us if you have any news :D
Got any links?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-30 12:06:16

At 8/30/09 09:32 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 8/29/09 07:44 AM, vdviking wrote:
Good...make sure to inform us if you have any news :D
Got any links?

Certainly
And another one

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-30 15:39:42

Hello, i've seen references to viking mithology over the years, mostly in games but also in some animations, and im intrested in learning more about it.

Well thats why i want to join the Army, i look forward to your answer.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-08-30 17:01:55

How was the world created, according to Norse Mythologi?

Meet the Mayor.