00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mibrudabot1225 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

435,696 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-13 15:43:54

At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: Drive - People are saying this movie is great. If it's at all better than the first Fast & Furious then we will be good to go.

Drive is a film about a driver, it's not a film about CGI explosions and car chases. Don't go in expecting Fast and Furious, it's not what you're going to get.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-13 17:23:46

At 10/13/11 03:39 PM, Makeshift wrote: I think the worst I've seen was Meet the Spartans. Just terrible, terrible comedy.

Funny how everything mentioned thus far all come from the same creators.

At 10/13/11 03:43 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: Drive - People are saying this movie is great. If it's at all better than the first Fast & Furious then we will be good to go.
Drive is a film about a driver, it's not a film about CGI explosions and car chases. Don't go in expecting Fast and Furious, it's not what you're going to get.

Oh damn. That reminds me, there was a pre-premiere for that film this weekend but I doubt tickets will still be available. Besides, I don't really have time anyway.

Oh well, I'll just wait until it premieres then. Hopefully I won't have to wait long.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-13 19:48:35

At 10/13/11 05:23 PM, Auz wrote: Oh damn. That reminds me, there was a pre-premiere for that film this weekend but I doubt tickets will still be available. Besides, I don't really have time anyway.

Oh well, I'll just wait until it premieres then. Hopefully I won't have to wait long.

Wait, what? I saw it a good few weeks back, and it had already been out about a fortnight when I saw it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-13 20:50:01

two other movies I forgot to mention that I might watch

the Beyond (it's been a long time since I saw a Lucio Fulci film)
the Orphanage

At 10/13/11 12:29 AM, chiefindomer wrote: It's almost a monster movie since they show Christian Bale's body in this. I mean the main character of this film is basically just a skeleton wrapped in skin. All kidding aside, it's one of the better psychological thrillers I've seen.

Yeah, I definitely remember a sickly skinny Christian Bale. That dude's gonna end up dying young if he keeps doing stuff like that for roles.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with this movie but I wouldn't really consider it a horror film.

Alrighty then. I guess I'll watch it another time. thanks.

At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: In Time

eh

Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows

I liked the first one.

The Dark Knight Rises

I just wish this wasn't the last one. There's so much Nolan could do. I could imagine 2 others after this.

The Evil Dead

The first one is a straight horror, but the second is a bit comedic. They're both entertaining.

Mortal Kombat Rebirth

I didn't know about this, but I've watched up to the episode of the Youtube series with Cyrax and Sektor. I forgot to check if there are more yet.

Real Steel

looks pretty bad to me.

X-Men: First Class

looks alright

Black Swan

I might watch that this month.

Green Lantern

This does not look good to me at all.

Drive - People are saying this movie is great. If it's at all better than the first Fast & Furious then we will be good to go.

This looks good.

The Wolverine

I did not know about this. I hope Omega Red is in it.

The Amazing Spiderman - I liked the Tobey Maguire trilogy and it was well casted, even though they weren't acted very well. I really hope that this cast of actors that I believe the original trumps... does okay.

I don't like how the costume looks and the fact that he only uses cartridges instead of shooting straight out of his wrists.

Kill Bill Vol. 3

wait, what?!

At 10/13/11 04:00 AM, chiefindomer wrote: I'd say ED 1&2 are even a little better than AoD.

I prefer Army of Darkness, but they're all cool.

At 10/13/11 09:16 AM, Decky wrote: What is the worse movie you have ever seen and why?

Not counting anything from MST3K or anything that I didn't actually choose to see, I'll go with House of the Dead. why? Well, shit, have you seen it? Although the worst film I've seen that was critically acclaimed would probably be Mulholland Drive. Eraser Head and Blue Velvet were interesting trips but Mulholland Drive was just too dumb.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-14 04:13:49

At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows - The first one was fucking excellent.

Looking forward to this one too.

The Dark Knight Rises - As more rumors and stuff comes out this movie just keeps shaping up to be better... I think the budget on this movie is 185 million... fucking ridiculous.

Really looking forward to this one.

Real Steel - Ebert said it was a good film. Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors... I need to see this at some point.

Hmm might be entertaining though I don't expect much.

X-Men: First Class - I am pissed that I never saw this in theaters... I don't know maybe X-Men Origins: Wolverine was just so bad it threw me off. Either way, I gotta see this at some point.

This one's good.

Black Swan - I have yet to see this and Natalie Portman putting on an Academy performance while looking good is nothing to huff at.

My favourite film of last year.

Green Lantern - I've always liked Ryan Reynolds as an actor... if anything, I find him to be under rated as hell. I need to see this at some point to see if he pulls off a good Lantern.

Heard this one was pretty lame so I decided not to check it out in the end.

Drive - People are saying this movie is great. If it's at all better than the first Fast & Furious then we will be good to go.

The film on top of my watchlist at the moment.

127 Hours - James Franco is a great actor and I love him in everything. The epitome of a likeable guy. This I want to see...

This one was good.

Pirates of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides - I firmly believe that these films got worse as they went, which makes it no suprise to me that I declined on seeing this in theaters... I still want to watch it. Gotta love Johnny Depp

Not really worth watching imo. Just stick to the first three.

The Amazing Spiderman - I liked the Tobey Maguire trilogy and it was well casted, even though they weren't acted very well. I really hope that this cast of actors that I believe the original trumps... does okay.

Not looking forward to this one to be honest. I didn't like the Spiderman films with Toby McGuire at all.

Kill Bill Vol. 3 - I don't know what else they can do... but this should be good. Gotta love Uma Thurman.

I'm looking forward to this as well, though it won't come out before 2014.

Paul - Haven't got around to seeing it... pretty much the same as The World's End.

I heard this film was pretty funny. The trailer looked kinda lame to me though.

At 10/13/11 07:48 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 10/13/11 05:23 PM, Auz wrote: Oh damn. That reminds me, there was a pre-premiere for that film this weekend but I doubt tickets will still be available. Besides, I don't really have time anyway.

Wait, what? I saw it a good few weeks back, and it had already been out about a fortnight when I saw it.

Yeah, but where I live most films don't come out until two months after they premiered in the US and the UK or wherever else =/

I hate that because there's sometimes a big discussion about a film on Newgrounds and I can't even see the film yet before the discussion already died out.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-14 05:33:22

At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: Haven't watched anything in awhile...

Me neither. The last films I watched were The Day After Tomorrow, Alpha Dog and Withnail & I. The first two were pretty good and Withnail & I wasn't terrible, just not as good as I was expecting.

In Time - Justin Timberlake has always been a funny guy on SNL, I want to see how he takes a serious role.

I really like him as an actor. He was awesome in Alpha Dog and good in The Social Network. Like someone's already said, he played a fairly serious role in Alpha Dog and pulled it off well.

Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows - The first one was fucking excellent.

Been meaning to buy the first one for ages. Sure I've seen it for £3 in my local DVD shop but haven't got around to getting it yet.

The Dark Knight Rises - As more rumors and stuff comes out this movie just keeps shaping up to be better... I think the budget on this movie is 185 million... fucking ridiculous.

Yeah I'm looking for to this. Only thing that bugs me is the title and that's just the OCD in me. The first one was called Batman Begins, then The Dark Knight, I was kind of hoping the third would be called something separate as well. Either Batman Rises or Gotham... something or other. From a marketing stand-point I totally understand why they've done it though.

The Evil Dead - I loved Army of Darkness, so I need to see this one AND the second one.

I'm watching this in a few weeks in one of my classes at university. I like the director and it's one of the few movies were watching that I've actually heard of.

Mortal Kombat Rebirth - Since it's been confirmed I will just put this on the list.

Never got into the games or film series so I'll be giving this one a miss.

Deception - My brother mentioned this the other night. I guess Hugh Jackman plays an excellent villain.

First time I've heard of this one.

Real Steel - Ebert said it was a good film. Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors... I need to see this at some point.

The premise for this looks horrible so it's another one I'll be giving a miss.

X-Men: First Class - I am pissed that I never saw this in theaters... I don't know maybe X-Men Origins: Wolverine was just so bad it threw me off. Either way, I gotta see this at some point.

THIS. Comes out at the end of the month so I'll probably have to hold on till Christmas for it. One of my favorite franchise, I actually liked all four movies (even Wolverine, although obviously less than the others).

Black Swan - I have yet to see this and Natalie Portman putting on an Academy performance while looking good is nothing to huff at.

Not really my type of film. Two of the biggest films from last year (this and The Kings Speech) are two I don't really care about seeing.

Green Lantern - I've always liked Ryan Reynolds as an actor... if anything, I find him to be under rated as hell. I need to see this at some point to see if he pulls off a good Lantern.

Reviews weren't great and I'm not a massive fan of the character.

Yup. Ryan Gosling is a great actor and this looks like a great movie. Not one I'm dying to see for one reason or another, but I'll be picking up the DVD a few months after it's released.

Contagion - Something about this movie is just appealing to me. If anything, I think the reason I want to see this is because of the Pandemic games here on NG.

Saw a trailer for this the other day and I'll probably pick it up after it's been out a while and the DVD's dropped in price. Kind of reminded me of 28 Days Later, which I loved.

127 Hours - James Franco is a great actor and I love him in everything. The epitome of a likeable guy. This I want to see...

Love James Franco and the story behind this. It's finally dropped down to a price I deem suitable for a film (around the £5 mark) so I'll probably own and watch this within a month or so.

Unknown - After seeing how awesome Taken was... I really want to see this. Liam Neeson is a badass.

This was ok. Not as good as Taken but the story was interesting and kept me guessing. If you liked Taken you'll probably like this but it's not as fast paced, hard hitting or as altogether enjoyable.

Pirates of The Carribean: On Stranger Tides - I firmly believe that these films got worse as they went, which makes it no suprise to me that I declined on seeing this in theaters... I still want to watch it. Gotta love Johnny Depp

Yeah, I'll no doubt get this at some point, just to complete the quadrilogy. I agree they seem to get worse, but I still enjoyed the first three and the fourth shouldn't disappoint too much.

The Wolverine - If they screw Hugh Jackman again, I will personally go slap the heads over at Fox's movie department, in the face.

Wish they wouldn't fuck with the order of things and just have called this Origins 2: Wolverine. Still, I'll watch it and looking at the team they've got behind it, I can easily see it being better than the first.

Gargh, couldn't they just have done Spider-Man 4. There's so many stories they've yet to explore. Is a reboot this early on really necessary. Regardless, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it. Spider-Man's my favorite superhero so... Don't fuck it up please.

Untitled Taken Sequel - I just saw this... well the completely unrelated "sequel" to Taken, Unknown... now has a another. These movies are just great fun.

Didn't know about this. Woop! Don't know how there going to work out a plot for this but it best live up the original.

Kill Bill Vol. 3 - I don't know what else they can do... but this should be good. Gotta love Uma Thurman.

Tarantino never fails to disappoint and I doubt this will be any exception. Anyone know if they're just releasing Vol. 3 or will it be 3 and 4 like last time?

The World's End - This may or may not be the ending of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg's Blood and Ice Cream trilogy... If it is, then I will see it... if not, then I will still see it. Those two on screen are comedy gold and have some of the best chemistry ever.

Don't think much has been said about this but I'm still looking forward to it. Should mark the end of a great trilogy and as long as it doesn't suffer the curse of the "threequel", it will have been worth the wait.

Paul - Haven't got around to seeing it... pretty much the same as The World's End.

It was ok. Had me laughing a few times but not up to the standard of Pegg or Frost's other work. Seth Rogen just didn't do it for me as the alien.

The Muppets - This one should be fun and a good childhood throwback...

Not a chance. Never liked the strange looking beasts.

Fuck that took a while.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-14 08:24:51

At 10/13/11 01:54 PM, Auz wrote:
At 10/13/11 09:16 AM, Decky wrote: What is the worse movie you have ever seen and why?
Well that has to be Date Movie for me. Probably for the very same reasons you hated Disaster Movie. It's a very poor excuse for a comedy film and so far one of the very few films that I turned off halfway in.

I think that all of those Scary Movie (kinda) spin-off are just terrible and I have to admit I'm jealous that you had the ability to turn the movie off. I was watching it round a friends house so couldn't. He seemed to like it, what a strange boy.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-14 18:33:38

I watched a Prophet yesterday. very good movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-14 23:37:25

At 10/13/11 03:04 AM, Travis wrote: In Time - Justin Timberlake has always been a funny guy on SNL, I want to see how he takes a serious role.

This one looks pretty interesting. It's from the guy who wrote The Truman Show and Gattaca, so it definitely has some potential.

Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows - The first one was fucking excellent.

The first one was pretty good. A little overrated, but enjoyable. I'll probably see this in theaters as long as it gets decent reviews.

Still not completely sold on Hathaway yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to this.

The Evil Dead - I loved Army of Darkness, so I need to see this one AND the second one.

imo ED 2 > AoD > ED, but they're all great.

Hmm, looks kind of mediocre;

Pretty good, one of the top five superhero movies.

Great performance and great movie, although it drops a little on a rewatch.

Looks completely terrible.

Second best movie of 2011 so far.

He's my personal win for Best Actor for this movie.

Unknown - After seeing how awesome Taken was... I really want to see this. Liam Neeson is a badass.

twas okay.

I heart Emma Stone but something seems off about this movie.

The World's End - This may or may not be the ending of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg's Blood and Ice Cream trilogy... If it is, then I will see it... if not, then I will still see it. Those two on screen are comedy gold and have some of the best chemistry ever.

fuck yeah wooh

Don't expect too much. It's an okay comedy, but not on the same level as the other Pegg/Frost collaborations (mainly due to lack of Edgar Wright).

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-15 04:27:08

At 10/14/11 08:24 AM, Decky wrote:
At 10/13/11 01:54 PM, Auz wrote: Well that has to be Date Movie for me. Probably for the very same reasons you hated Disaster Movie. It's a very poor excuse for a comedy film and so far one of the very few films that I turned off halfway in.
I think that all of those Scary Movie (kinda) spin-off are just terrible and I have to admit I'm jealous that you had the ability to turn the movie off. I was watching it round a friends house so couldn't. He seemed to like it, what a strange boy.

Like I said, I think they're all made by the same people.

I was watching it with friends too, but almost an hour in we all kind of agreed that this was by far the worst film that we have ever seen and we didn't want to watch it any longer.

Fortunately we also rented The Departed along with it so we also had a good film to watch.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-15 19:02:27

I watched Pandorum last night, which was alright. The twist was actually kinda cool, but the ending became optimistic really suddenly, like out of nowhere. I don't mind it, though. It was just kinda...I dunno...jarring, I guess.

At 10/15/11 04:27 AM, Auz wrote: Fortunately we also rented The Departed along with it so we also had a good film to watch.

Have you seen Infernal Affairs? It's really good, but I honestly prefer the Departed. It's just too great.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-15 21:53:02

I just applied at the theater nearby tonight, hopefully I get that job... I need to pay more attention to the movies coming out, that's the perfect opportunity.

Anything good in theaters? I heard The Thing wasn't bad, but the 80s one is better still.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-15 22:35:49

At 10/15/11 09:53 PM, Luke wrote: I heard The Thing wasn't bad, but the 80s one is better still.

I heard that they show the original form of the Thing, which kinda ruins it for me. Apparently it's still a top film regardless.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-16 09:58:44

So I watched Scream 4 last night.

It was very enjoyable. Though, I know the whole point of the Scream series is supposed to be "meta" and self-referential of other horror films but I thought they focused on that a little too much and not enough on the actual scares. Or the kills even.

It also has a twist at the end which is so ridiculous its actually funny.

But yeah, I thought it fun.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-16 18:18:40

The Thing is getting a lot of bad and so-so reviews.

Last night's holiday movie was a Japanese horror movie called Hiruko the Goblin, directed by Shinya Tsukamoto, who directed an awesome and trippy movie called Tetsuo: the Iron Man. This movie was weird and very goofy. I was pretty drunk and enjoying some cheeseburgers watching this, so that may have affected how much I enjoyed it, but I was quite amused throughout as I made comments on it like I was my own personal Tom Servo or Crow, even though I was watching it alone. haha. Also, it reminded me a bit of the Evil Dead how the camera is sometimes used as if it's the point of view of what's coming after the characters. I shouted "ah! killer camera!"

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-17 11:00:41

I watched the Machinist last night for the first time in several years. I had forgotten most of it, including how it ended. I remember really liking it, and I can now definitely say it's a very good movie. I thought it was about a guy suffering from fatal familial insomnia, but after seeing the end, I guess it's just about a guy who is so crushed by guilt that it drives him mad and brings him horrible sickness. It doesn't seem possible that guilt alone can do what it did to him, but either way, every moment of the movie is engaging and fascinating.

Also, I watched the Masters of Horror episode, Fair Haired Child. It was alright. So far, it's the best episode I've seen, which isn't saying much. I watched another episode a couple of nights before that, which was pretty lame. I don't know the name of it, but it was about a girl who wakes up after a New Year's Eve party, hungover, having blacked out, and finding that her apartment building is full of zombies. It sounds cool, but...nah.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-17 11:06:55

I just came back from the theater where I saw All Stars 2: Old Stars.

A Dutch comedy film about an amateur football team. First film came out in 1997 and then followed a three seasons TV series. The idea is basically that they're all older now, gained a few pounds and have pretty much passed their peak in life already. When one decides to get married in Spain they decide to take a road trip to Barcelona in the form of a 'trainingscamp'.

Along the way they obviously face some hardships and learn that each one of them is dealing with some personal problems. One of them has cancer, the other is having problems with his wife and family, then one feels that hasn't made the most out of his life and career etc.

But in the end they find that they can always count on their friends to support them in hard times. So what this film basically is is an ode to friendship.

Now I do think the film sagged a little towards the ending, but I got a few good laughs out of it. It's pretty entertaining, though it's nothing too impressive on an international level.

At 10/15/11 09:53 PM, Luke wrote: I just applied at the theater nearby tonight, hopefully I get that job...

A few weeks ago I applied for a job at the cinema too, but I wasn't too impressed with what they had to offer (minimum wage, bad working hours). Decided not to go to some workshop they told me to go to.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-17 13:38:57

I just watched Fear(s) of the Dark, and it was very interesting. I liked most of it, but I didn't understand the last short, or the interludes with the female narrator (who I thought sounded a bit like Isabella Rosellini). Regarding those narrations, I think it might be a cultural thing. Maybe if you're from France, it makes more sense. I don't know for sure. Anyway, it was good, overall. I was saying to myself as I watched it, "if I were just tuning in on cable, I would say 'oh, it's some French movie' ". I've watched several French movies, and I've come to the conclusion that nobody does movies like these people, for better or worse. They just have something different within them, and they have something in their movies that is distinctly unique from movies of other cultures. I can't really place it, but it is there. And it's not the fact that their language is unmistakable and instantly recognizable.

At 10/16/11 09:58 AM, Jack wrote: So I watched Scream 4 last night.

I just realized that your sig is totally a reference to something Ricky Gervais said about Carl Pilkington.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-17 13:43:46

Oh, and I just got a copy of the Land of Far Away. I haven't seen this movie since I was of an age that was one digit. I'm gonna have such a hard nostalgia trip, especially considering that I'm most likely gonna smoke some trees before I watch it. gleeeeeeee!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-18 04:43:41

At 10/16/11 09:58 AM, Jack wrote: So I watched Scream 4 last night.
I just realized that your sig is totally a reference to something Ricky Gervais said about Carl Pilkington.

You would be correct sir!

I watched Night of the Creeps on blu-ray the other night. Heard quite a lot about it because it has a huge cult following.

Anyway, I thought it was really fantastic. It deserves that following, totally. People should check it out if they like zombies and space aliens.

Next, on blu-ray, The Monster Squad!

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-19 11:52:59

Went in to town to see Tyrannosaur today, at a cinema I must have walked passed a dozen times without noticing.

Paddy Considine's debut feature film, it's an expanded version of his short film "Dog Altogether" which was released in 2007, but which I'd never heard of. Features the same cast and basic plot, although obviously greatly expanded since Dog Altogether is only 16 minutes long.

It's a hard film to talk about without spoiling, but basically, it's about a violent, self destructive man played by Peter Mullan who meets a deeply religious charity shop worker played by Peep Show's Olivia Colman, and how their friendship develops as it becomes apparent that despite appearances Colman's problems are much worse than Mullan's.

Colman's performance is incredible, especially for an actress known mostly for comedy, and Mullan is equally strong. What little supporting cast there is does the job, but this film is really about these two individuals, and as such even secondary characters important to the plot have little screen time.

Some of it is tough to watch, but it's hard to go into specifics about it without spoiling it. It's a great film, just go see it for yourselves.

Picked up Death Proof, Planet Terror and a box set of all the Planet of the Apes films while in town too, so I'll be giving them a watch over the next few days.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-19 16:35:59

I just watched Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

It was on my watchlist for a long time. Great film in my opinion. I like how Kubrick gave such a comical twist to what is actually a very serious political thriller. I did get a good laugh out of many scenes. For instance the telephone calls the president made to the prime minister of Russia were quite hilarious and so were all the caricature-like characters.

I'm not sure whether the film would've been better if Kubrick went for a serious adaption. I think it's actually a better film this way, but it's hard to say. Anyway, this is definitely one of my favourite Kubrick films. I think this is a classic that everybody ought to see.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-20 12:39:02

I need to get my ass in gear and start making my way through some of this backlog.
From top to bottom:

Sherlock Holmes
Robin Hood
Tigerland
The Illusionist
Duplicity
The Constant Gardener
The Beach
Traffic
Total Recall
Natural Born Killers
Waking Life
John Q
Brokeback Mountain
A Mighty Heart
Artificial Intelligence
Enemy Of The State
The Boat That Rocked
Apocalypse Now
Sideways
The Core
Quadrophenia
Armageddon
Braveheart
Body Of Lies
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Deer Hunter
Alexander
Defiance
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
There Will Be Blood
Girl, Interrupted
Stealth
Apocalypto
Misery
Borstal Boy
The Fifth Element
The Lives Of Others
Independence Day
Rain Man
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
The Aviator
Happy Go Lucky
Deep Impact
Scarface
Groundhog Day

Sorry for the terrible picture quality.

Cinema Club

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-20 16:12:43

I just came back from the theaters where I saw The Ides of March, directed by and with George Clooney.

Pretty good film about the dirty politics behind the scenes in the presidential election campaign. I think it is quite well acted, but I do find some actors slightly unbelievable in their roles. Most notably Evan Rachel Wood as a 20 year old intern. She didn't look, act or talk like one so the scenes with her came over a bit silly in my opinion. Not saying she acted poorly, but the role might not have been fit for her.

Anyway, I think this is a film that is worth a watch. Good story and overall a good film.

At 10/20/11 11:49 AM, Natick wrote:
At 10/19/11 04:35 PM, Auz wrote: I just watched Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

It was on my watchlist for a long time. Great film in my opinion. I like how Kubrick gave such a comical twist to what is actually a very serious political thriller. I did get a good laugh out of many scenes. For instance the telephone calls the president made to the prime minister of Russia were quite hilarious and so were all the caricature-like characters.

I'm not sure whether the film would've been better if Kubrick went for a serious adaption. I think it's actually a better film this way, but it's hard to say. Anyway, this is definitely one of my favourite Kubrick films. I think this is a classic that everybody ought to see.
The film is so great that it was one of the rare occaisions where Kubrick barely yelled "Cut!" but just watched as all the great ensemble played every scene damn near perfection.

Now impressing Kubrick. That's a feat to behold.

Yeah I read that quite some things in the film were made up on the spot and Kubrick decided to leave them in because it was so funny. Like the trip of the general in the war room was actually an accident.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-20 17:08:13

At 10/17/11 11:06 AM, Auz wrote:
At 10/15/11 09:53 PM, Luke wrote: I just applied at the theater nearby tonight, hopefully I get that job...
A few weeks ago I applied for a job at the cinema too, but I wasn't too impressed with what they had to offer (minimum wage, bad working hours). Decided not to go to some workshop they told me to go to.

I have an interview tomorrow night at 7:45PM - Strange time for an interview but I'm guessing it might end up being a hired-on-the-spot kind of deal. Then they'll train me tomorrow night and I'll work Saturday? Dunno... Minimum wage though yeah, which sucks... My last job I was making 12.86 /hr, this is 9.50 /hr... Definitely nowhere near as good... But a job is a job at this point.

I'll see what the hours are like here, I'm hoping I can alternate between working full time shifts and part time shifts if it's even possible.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-21 15:48:58

Anyone else seen the film Hanna?

I thought it was pretty good. Nicely directed (including one great tracking shot that ends in a hand-to-hand fight), although, I thought the script was quite weak in places.

Very, very minor spoilers ahead.

What really bugged me is that Hanna is shown to be a total bad ass when it comes to combat situations. However, she spends most of the film just running away from the people chasing her - she doesn't really do all that much. Particularly when her Dad tells her at the beginning that those pursuing her won't stop unless she stops them. So why doesn't she do exactly that when she has her chance?

Also, I didn't like where the film ended. I mean, I understand it being a nice bookend to the events at the beginning of the film. However, it was just a anti-climax and it also left a bunch of questions unanswered. Actually, the whole third act felt rushed.

Plus, Hanna's combat skills seem very uneven at places. Takes down a group of soldiers in one scene and then has a bit of trouble with two skinny punk dudes the next.

Overall, I like it just fine. Although there is quite a dip in quality past the sixty minute mark.

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-22 16:57:01

Does anyone else construct shrines to their favourite movies and then sacrifice livestock to them?

http://i.imgur.com/SRMAi.jpg

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-22 17:32:44

At 10/20/11 05:08 PM, Luke wrote:
At 10/17/11 11:06 AM, Auz wrote: A few weeks ago I applied for a job at the cinema too, but I wasn't too impressed with what they had to offer (minimum wage, bad working hours). Decided not to go to some workshop they told me to go to.
I have an interview tomorrow night at 7:45PM - Strange time for an interview but I'm guessing it might end up being a hired-on-the-spot kind of deal. Then they'll train me tomorrow night and I'll work Saturday? Dunno... Minimum wage though yeah, which sucks... My last job I was making 12.86 /hr, this is 9.50 /hr... Definitely nowhere near as good... But a job is a job at this point.

If that's dollars then it's not an awful lot, but indeed a job is a job. I'm really having trouble finding one right now so I guess I shouldn't be too picky regarding the salary =/

I'll see what the hours are like here, I'm hoping I can alternate between working full time shifts and part time shifts if it's even possible.

Well the thing with the hours is, the last film usually ends at around 00:00 here and then I'd still have to clean up and lock the place down. I doubt I'll be able to get home before 1:00 and if I have to go to a lecture the next morning...

At 10/22/11 04:57 PM, TheMaster wrote: Does anyone else construct shrines to their favourite movies and then sacrifice livestock to them?

http://i.imgur.com/SRMAi.jpg

Can't say I do.

I can't even be arsed to give them a special place on the shelve.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-22 19:45:21

At 10/22/11 01:28 PM, tyler2513 wrote: Recently I've been searching for a movie, it's based on a true story about these kids going on a field trip where they go into these supposedly haunted woods for a camping trip or something until something happens to them I didn't see any more than 15 minutes of this but it seems very interesting and I'd like to see the rest. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Hm. Unfortunately dumb kids going in to the woods is such a widely used plot in horror films that it makes it difficult to pin point anything.

Can you guess what decade it was made or something? Was it American?

At 10/22/11 04:57 PM, TheMaster wrote: Does anyone else construct shrines to their favourite movies and then sacrifice livestock to them?

oh gawd. dat collectorz edition wit der figure iz bootiful.

Wait. Did you get both collectors editions? Steel case and the t-rex model one?

Baby Britain.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-10-22 20:11:26

At 10/22/11 07:45 PM, Jack wrote: oh gawd. dat collectorz edition wit der figure iz bootiful.

Wait. Did you get both collectors editions? Steel case and the t-rex model one?

Of course. I plan to pick up the regular Blu-ray and the DVD version of the new set eventually too, along with the old black steel tin DVD one.

BBS Signature