00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rogerbbb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

437,617 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-12 16:11:26

At 9/12/11 10:58 AM, iMini wrote: I'd like to know what anyone thought and the Grindhouse films and its spin off's?

I liked Death Proof a lot more than Planet Terror, maybe because it's not just a huge collection of guns and gore, and Kurt Russel is a very good actor.

It's the other way around for me. I enjoyed Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Personally I think Death Proof is one of the weakest Tarentino films.

Personally, I fucking loved machete though, I always liked Danny Trejo and it's good to see a film that doesn't care that it's not intelligent, and that really appealed to me, in that it was a break from the norm.

Yeah I loved that one too. Very entertaining from the beginning to the end.

However I really wasn't feeling Hobo With A Shotgun, I didn't find it particularly memorable and felt little attachment to any of the characters.

I was quite excited for that one, but I keep hearing bad comments about it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-13 04:46:41

Hugh Jackman is gonna be in a new movie called Real Steel. Is it just me or should they have called this movie Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots: The Movie?

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-13 07:57:52

At 9/12/11 10:58 AM, iMini wrote: I liked Death Proof a lot more than Planet Terror, maybe because it's not just a huge collection of guns and gore, and Kurt Russel is a very good actor.

I thought I was the only one, it seems like everyone I've talked to about it says they liked Planet Terror more. I preferred the style of Death Proof, I liked the whole idea of a stunt driver committing vehicular homicides, the action scenes were very entertaining, and I'm a fan of Kurt Russell as well. Planet Terror was great, but I liked Death Proof a little more.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-13 11:18:44

At 9/13/11 04:46 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hugh Jackman is gonna be in a new movie called Real Steel. Is it just me or should they have called this movie Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots: The Movie?

I've seen posters for that film at my cinema, but it isn't going to come out here until early 2012 or so.

It kinda looks like a 'robots beating the crap out of each other' film, but better than Transformers. Not sure how much better though.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-14 16:24:21

I watched the Mechanic, which was pretty cool, and the Delta Force, which was okay. It's the only Chuck Norris movie I've ever seen. And my friend and I tried to watch Sucker Punch, but it sucked and we didn't bother to finish. I also watched Death Wish, which was pretty badass, so I'm renting the second one.

At 9/12/11 10:58 AM, iMini wrote: I'd like to know what anyone thought and the Grindhouse films and its spin off's?

I thought Planet Terror was a lot better, but Death Proof was pretty entertaining, especially the ending. Machete was awesome, too. And I thought Hobo With a Shotgun was really fun to watch.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-14 23:15:15

At 9/13/11 04:46 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hugh Jackman is gonna be in a new movie called Real Steel. Is it just me or should they have called this movie Rock'Em Sock'Em Robots: The Movie?

Well, I'm really excited about seeing this movie TBH. With that said, there is always some sort of trepredation on an action heavy movie on whether the trailers are more exciting than the movie itself, and/or it's just a complete flop overall. Either way, I'm going to see this when it comes out, and judge for myself.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-15 01:11:39

Went to a midnight screening of Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece The Room last weekend. It was easily one of the best moviegoing experiences I've ever had, and I highly recommend that you do it if you get the chance (don't forget to bring spoons). I know I'll be going again, especially now that I know all the stuff people yell at the screen beforehand.

The best audience line of the night was during one of Mark and Lisa's sex scenes when someone shouted "he's fucking her blowhole!"

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-15 08:08:22

At 9/15/11 01:11 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Went to a midnight screening of Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece The Room last weekend. It was easily one of the best moviegoing experiences I've ever had, and I highly recommend that you do it if you get the chance (don't forget to bring spoons). I know I'll be going again, especially now that I know all the stuff people yell at the screen beforehand.

The best audience line of the night was during one of Mark and Lisa's sex scenes when someone shouted "he's fucking her blowhole!"

genius..i have always wanted to go to one of those screenings but the room is not popular over in the uk.

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-15 14:29:37

Went to see The Troll Hunter.

Mockumentary of the found-footage variety, so all filmed from a handheld camera, although with significantly less rubbish shaky cam than the likes of Cloverfield, possibly because it follows a film crew, not random people, so the guy with the camera is actually a cameraman. Whatever their excuse, I much prefer it to the alternative, even if it is a bit less realistic.

Film follows a group of film students who set out to cover strange bear attacks in Norway. Upon investigating, they find out from the hunters sent to kill the bear that the hunters have been followed by a man they identify as a poacher the entire time they have been hunting, and the students' new goal becomes to get an interview with him. Having attempted to speak to him to no avail, they follow him out one night, and discover he is actually hunting trolls, after which he agrees to let them film him on his hunts.

It's not a serious film, but it is played completely straight, which really works in it's favour. It could easily have taken a more Spinal Tap route, but instead it's done just like any of the other found footage horror films, just with ridiculous and comical things happening around everything.

The way it plays with the mythology is great, too. Every troll fact you can remember from fairytales is in here. There's even a bit involving 3 goats and a bridge.

Well worth a watch. See it now before they make a shit English language remake.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-16 08:53:27

Drive is my favorite film of 2011.

Rather can keeping this conversation to ourselves, I made its own topic so other people in general can hear about it too.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1271 839

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-16 16:22:02

At 9/15/11 01:11 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Went to a midnight screening of Tommy Wiseau's masterpiece The Room last weekend.

Sounds like fun. I would probably go if there was a screening of it here, but I strongly doubt that many people ever even heard about the film, let alone like it for its cult status.

At 9/16/11 08:53 AM, Frank wrote: Drive is my favorite film of 2011.

Rather can keeping this conversation to ourselves, I made its own topic so other people in general can hear about it too.

I heard a lot of good things about that film. Like I said in your thread, there's gonna be a pre-premiere of it here in about a month as part of some festival, but I'm not sure if I'm going yet. Perhaps I'll wait until the normal premiere.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-16 20:48:45

At 9/16/11 08:39 PM, Travis wrote: Trailers have made it out to be like a low budget, but more serious "Fast and Furious."

It actually is. Budget of only $13 mil. Still a tonne of money, but not as much as most films. I'm dying to see Drive.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 04:23:44

At 9/14/11 04:24 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I thought Planet Terror was a lot better, but Death Proof was pretty entertaining, especially the ending. Machete was awesome, too. And I thought Hobo With a Shotgun was really fun to watch.

Another vote for Planet Terror. The dialogue in Death Proof was Tarantino's usual brand of awesome but for me PT was just more entertaining. Still need to check out Machete and Hobo With A Shotgun (Danny Trejo is one of my favorite, under-rated actors), just waiting for the price of them to drop down.

Student finance comes in soon so I'll be buying a few flicks. Haven't watched many films recently though, been working my way through Dollhouse - Seasons 1&2.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 09:44:59

I just went to the theaters to check out Midnight in Paris.

I ended up walking out a little bit disappointed to be honest. I think I get the message of the film and the plot and what it is trying to do. The images of Paris are very nice (Paris is a lovely, I have to agree) and the film does interesting things with the main character (Gil Pender played by Owen Wilson) somehow meeting up with all kinds of great artists from the past and getting inspiration for his novel that way.

However, when I added it all up in the end, I found it quite underwhelming. Like at some point he finds out that the things he does in the past with those artist influences the future (he finds an old autobiography by Adriana with his name written in it). I thought: "Now it's getting interesting.", but the film doesn't really go any deeper into that, which is too bad. What's left then is a not-so-interesting plot with an interesting idea that is sadly not worked all that well in my opinion. I think they could've easily taken another 20 minutes or so to work everything out better (the film is only 90 minutes long right now anyway). I also think the characters are very 2-dimensional. The great artists he meets almost seem like charicatures.

So I'm a bit disappointed about it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's still a fairly good film and I can imagine that some people might like it. However, I don't think it really deserves the sky high ratings it's receiving on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes and in the papers here. It didn't appeal to me and it's more of a 7/10 film in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 10:09:34

Can't believe Attack the Block has done so poorly in cinemas. Only made £3 million back on it's £9 million budget. I thought it was great, and would have thought a Nick Frost horror comedy (even though it isn't REALLY a Nick Frost horror comedy, it's only marketed as one) would have appealed to a much larger audience.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 10:21:15

At 9/17/11 09:44 AM, Auz wrote: I just went to the theaters to check out Midnight in Paris.

From the way you described it, seems like a very humble movie so to speak. Where they basically said "keep it simple stupid." Sounds like a movie I wouldn't mind seeing to be honest.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 11:01:04

At 9/17/11 10:21 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/17/11 09:44 AM, Auz wrote: I just went to the theaters to check out Midnight in Paris.
From the way you described it, seems like a very humble movie so to speak. Where they basically said "keep it simple stupid." Sounds like a movie I wouldn't mind seeing to be honest.

"Humble"... yeah I guess that term suits the film well. By all means go and check it out. I'd like to hear some more opinions on it from the people in this club.

I would just recommend that you don't get your expectations up too much for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-17 22:05:08

Before I saw Drive, Midnight in Paris was my favorite film of 2011.

I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and it's easily the best movie he's done since Husbands and Wives (1992). it's incredibly charming and has a lot of similarities to The Purple Rose of Cairo, which is another one of his best films. Like most of his films, Midnight in Paris is an intellectual comedy. It's charming because of how sweet, smart, and funny it is. I loved it.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-18 06:16:26

At 9/17/11 10:05 PM, Frank wrote: Before I saw Drive, Midnight in Paris was my favorite film of 2011.

I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and it's easily the best movie he's done since Husbands and Wives (1992). it's incredibly charming and has a lot of similarities to The Purple Rose of Cairo, which is another one of his best films. Like most of his films, Midnight in Paris is an intellectual comedy. It's charming because of how sweet, smart, and funny it is. I loved it.

Those are the kind of comments that I actually read a lot in the positive reviews.

I don't know much about Woody Allen other than that he has apparently released a streak of poorer films before Midnight in Paris. I've read the statement "It's his best film since..." a lot and some of the negative reviews stated that he hasn't made a good film since the 80's or so. Again I don't know much about him and seeing the list of films he has made, I don't think I've seen any of his works other than Midnight in Paris.

I'm not sure about deeming it an "intellectual" comedy. Many critics call it that. Maybe it fits in the genre definition, but I didn't find the film smart or anything. I mean, it makes a lot of references to great artists from the past which I guess demands some background knowledge from the viewers, but that doesn't really make a film clever in my opinion. And you don't need to know anything about Ernest Hemingway to get why him wanting to go boxing with Gil might be funny for example. Now there are some witty jokes here and there, but heh... I've seen more clever comedies.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-19 11:13:46

I saw The Devil's Double today in the theater.

It's about a man who is forced to become the body double of Saddam Hussein's sadistic son. I don't think it's a must-see film. It doesn't really stand out in my opinion, but it's fairly good all in all. The acting was done pretty well, the locations looked nice at times and the plot was quite interesting. I think near the end the plot started to drag a little bit though, but fortunately it wasn't too severe.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this one in the theaters or anything. There are better things to spend your money on, but this might make a nice rental or watch on TV.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-19 11:14:12

At 9/17/11 10:09 AM, TheMaster wrote: Attack the Block

It's on my wish-list of films to buy when they drop in price a little. The premise sounds fantastic, looking forward to see it.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-21 15:30:58

So, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Great film, with phenomenal performances. John Hurt's Control is perfect, blows away anything from the BBC version, and Oldman is a worthy successor to Alec Guinness as George Smiley, I'd struggle to which of them I preferred.

It's not perfect. Naturally, being a movie requires a lot of stuff be cut from the book, but rather than lose anything it seems some parts are just very rushed. Ricki Tarr's romance with the Russian defector is condensed into about 3 minutes, whereas it got almost a full 45 minute episode in the show, and Jim Prideaux's life after he returns to England is also barely touched on, which given his importance in the final scenes of the film seems a bit of a mistake. Most of the stuff after they discover the mole is just dropped completely, but that's not as significant as the story feels complete without it.

Other than that though, it's fantastic.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-22 14:19:42

Death Wish 2 was pretty badass. I'm gonna watch the third one soon. I was kinda surprised to see Jeff Goldblum in the first one and Larry Fishbourne in the second one, especially how Fishbourne died like he wasn't that significant.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-24 21:59:03

What films do you guys want to see right now?

I'm dying to see 50/50, Moneyball, and Drive. Still have to catch The Tree of Life.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-24 22:07:35

At 9/24/11 09:59 PM, Makeshift wrote: What films do you guys want to see right now?

I'm dying to see 50/50, Moneyball, and Drive. Still have to catch The Tree of Life.

I'm going up to see Jurassic Park and Drive on Thursday, and want to see Red State when that comes out.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-25 07:14:53

At 9/24/11 09:59 PM, Makeshift wrote: What films do you guys want to see right now?

The only films that I really want to see this year are Drive, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

I've looked at the rest of the films that are coming out in 2011 and there aren't any other ones that particulary catch my interest. There are more 2012 films that I really want to see, namely:

The Hobbit
The Dark Knight Rises
Brave
Django Unchained

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-26 14:54:23

Recently I've seen Dog Day Afternoon and One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Both were spectacular, both had wonderful lead performances. I love it when the only films I watch are good ones.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-27 08:00:28

new and upcoming films I want to see...Drive is definitely one, and I'm pretty interested in Killer Elite. I've been wanting to see this new anime called Redline, but I can't seem to find it. And there's the next Sherlock Holmes. also, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. maybe the new Underworld. I was kinda interested in Bunraku, but I have doubts about it. Of course I want to see the Dark Knight Rises. The Thing looks sick, plus John Carpenter's the Thing is one of my favorite movies ever. I'm curious about Don't be Afraid of the Dark, since Del Toro has been a great director so far. And it really doesn't need to be made again, but I'll probably watch the new version of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Oh yeah, and the Rum Diary.

At 9/26/11 02:54 PM, Mendou wrote: Recently I've seen Dog Day Afternoon and One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

good choices there.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-28 04:58:08

At 9/22/11 12:12 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero attended the last screening I went to.

Holy shit dude that's awesome! Mark looks kind of underfed in that picture. Clearly he's been taking Johnny's death really hard.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-09-29 14:47:10

Saw Drive.

Possibly the best I've seen this year. Definitely gives Tinker Tailor a run for the top spot. I'd heard complaints about the music, but I fucking loved it, made the whole thing feel very unique, and the parts where everything would go quiet just before violence erupts were extremely effective. I really like both Bryan Cranston and Carey Mulligan, and although they're both only in relatively small roles (in terms of screen time, not importance to the plot), they're both great. Ryan Gosling, who I've never seen before, was also surprisingly good.

BBS Signature