00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

htffan2000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game You're Currently Playing

358,445 Views | 5,146 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-22 14:53:42

A friend bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday, I was attempting to read the books (I will recommend reading the two short story collections) and play the games in order, but realistically I probably wasn't going to go through all of that anytime soon, so I might as well just play it while it's relavent.

I know this has been said, but hot damn this is what side questing should be like in every open world RPG. After the shit-show that was FFXV's side quests
it's a breath of fresh air to find a game world with NPCs who feel like actual characters with lives beyond standing around waiting to give you a mission. Even random points of intetest can give you interesting quests. If you find a wraith to fight you'll likely find something near that indicates how someone died a bad enough death to come back as a spirit and from that you can find a quest to follow up on. Little things like that show an unusually high level of care in creating context for the act of going somewhere to either kill something or collect something. I'm just out of the first area of the game so hopefully it keeps this pace up.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-23 16:01:21

played a hour of Earthbound on my 3ds before work and during break. It still holds up pretty well since the last time I've completed it in 2009 on the wii

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-24 22:38:56

i've been hooked on super paper mario for the last few weeks, I only have to beat the pit of 100 trials in flopside and maybe I'll start collecting all the cards

Been insanely playing the paper mario series the past few months (minus sticker star and color splash)

want to play Wario Land 2 and 3 again so badly but I cannot find my gameboy advance SP

Apple is a communist dynasty that is trying to take the world down in flames under its oppressive boot. Samsung will surge the universe into glory #androidnation

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Picked up a PlayStation VR this week. I've been closely following VR from the start but this is my first hands-on experience with a real HMD.

First impressions: the headset itself is extremely comfortable and well made, but the screen deserves to be a higher resolution than it is. I've only tried cardboard and Gear VR and this is (no surprise) significantly better than both. There's no hassle in passing the headset around between multiple people too, it's very quick and easy to get the lenses in focus.

It's 'only' 1080p however which is just about the minimum for VR - you can see individual pixels and distant objects can sometimes blur to shit depending on the game. The resolution isn't a deal breaker but it's a noticeable compromise, and with such an expensive piece of hardware I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a bit more.

It comes with a generous sixteen demos, of those the most interesting was probably Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Here They Lie. Rush of Blood is just a rail shooter (literally, you're on a roller coaster) but the added immersion of VR, seeing your guns and physical moving them goes a long way in improving the experience even compared to light gun shooters, with added little nuances like having to physically move to dodge oncoming obstacles. It's really fun. I've never been a big proponent of motion control, but here it feels right.

Here They Lie is one of the few games in the lot with full analogue movement. This one got bad reviews largely because it makes everyone motion sick but I had no issue with the demo and actually like the VR implementation much more than Resident Evil 7's.

On that note, I've been playing Resident Evil 7. It's great. Feels like a very solid middle ground between RE1 and RE4 with enough new ideas to seem fresh.

The VR implementation on the other hand is a bit disappointing and I'll focus on that for this post. I'll just list some comparisons between what I feel this game does wrong and how Here They Lie did it better.

1. Turning - in RE7 you can use incremental snap-turning or smooth turning like a regular FPS, the former is extremely jarring and immersion breaking and the later makes me rapidly more nauseous the longer I use it, with the added effect of limiting the value of physically turning my head and thus undermining the VR.

Here They Lie still has incremental turning but with a nice fade-out fade-in instead of an instant snap which is much easier to look at, and has the added feature of head-turning, where your character's body slowly turns the direction you're facing while you walk. So you never have to use the snap turning outside of situations where you need to do a quick 180 and run away. I'm hoping all locomotive VR games have this in future.

2. Body - in regular RE7 Ethan has a full body that you can look down and see, and Here They Lie is the same, but when playing VR mode Ethan is reduced to a pair of floating hands and forerms that are once again jarring and immersion breaking every time you see them. It doesn't help that seeing hands you can't control is inherently weird in VR. Here They Lie has a full body in VR and it doesn't cause any issue.

3. Flashlight - a relatively small thing, but both games feature a flashlight. In RE7 it's automatic and you can't turn it on or off, despite some of the ''flashlight off'' areas being extremely dark and some ''flashlight on'' areas being blinding. Add the snap turning to that and you have moments where you're squinting at something far away, then tap right and suddenly you're having your retinas scorched because you're staring at a bright surface with your bright flashlight. And on top of that it's awkwardly attached to your head , so you can't just shine it away from you. You're literally forced to use it when the game arbitrarily decides. It's not even noticeable when playing the game normally but it's a horrendous choice for a VR game.

in Here They Lie you also have a flashlight, but you can turn it on and off at any time, it's in your hand rather than on your head and it's loose so you can move it around and aim it with the dualshock's motion, it's a really intuitive method and works great.

Lastly, the cutscenes switch between flat 2D scenes and full VR, and once again it's jarring as hell. You can also move your head away from Ethan's position in the scripted VR sequences, so for example a character slashes Ethan's face but it doesn't accurately line up with where the player's head actually is. The end result has you (me) wondering what the hell is meant to be happening far too often in the scripted parts. I don't know why they don't restrict VR movement for those parts.

The graphics take a serious hit in VR mode as well. It's still an interesting experience and immersive to just walk around in the Baker house but I can't imagine playing the whole game that way, there's too many missteps and I have to constantly wonder if this is a better experience or not. In fairness there's two whole pages of VR options and trying to find the right combo has made it easier to enjoy in VR mode, but for me at least the right options aren't there at all.

RE7 and PSVR seems like an ideal match but after playing I reckon the game wasn't made for VR until late in development, and then adapted to suit.

Ultimately VR is still in its infancy (hopefully - provided it doesn't die out like motion control and 3D TV's) and has a lot of issues yet to sort out.

Vehicular games (Driveclub, Battle Tanks and the mecha one, RIGS) are near enough perfect already, but more traditional movement based games have a long way to go.

I have a lot of respect for what VR tech can do compared to previous gimmicks, and it'll be a huge shame if all it ever amounts to is driving games, rail shooters and hour long ''experiences''.

Pic related is the before and after images in the manual, illustrating the ungodly amount of wires that come with this thing. That 'processor unit' is loud as balls on it's own btw, and the hdmi passes from the ps4 through that to the TV so it needs to be turned on even if you're not using the VR.

I solemly swear I'll not make a post quite that big again. For a while.

VR missteps aside Resident Evil 7 is great and is shaping up to be one of my favourites in the series.

@absurd-ditties I think you mentioned being put off by the ''youtuber bait'' sensibilities but I urge you to give it another go - that's really not what the main game is like and the demo imo didn't do a good job of properly conveying it either.

It's the most faithful sequel Resident Evil has ever had, with a healthy dose of influence from RE4 as well in that there's plenty of silliness and the baker family are like ultra beefed up Ganados. The combat is more like RE4 as well and it's by far one of the hardest games in the series. I'm really impressed in how much it feels like a classic Resident Evil game modernised.

If you're still not sold, I'll tell you the first boss culminates in a motherfucking chainsaw duel.

I'm convinced the similarities to generic youtube horror schlock are largely a happy accident an not deliberate pandering - remember, classic Resident Evil is basically the 90's equivalent to such games already, and the shift to first person could be questioned but it's a valid choice imo and allows much more realistic and claustrophobic level designs.

The one aspect I'm not a fan of is the regular generic enemies, they don't look like much of anything and I'd have vastly preferred the classic zombies making a return in their place. If they were swapped out with zombies this would be in the running for my favourite RE game. As it is they're alright though, the game throws a lot at you at once and they're quite challenging.

At 2/22/17 02:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote: A friend bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday, I was attempting to read the books (I will recommend reading the two short story collections) and play the games in order, but realistically I probably wasn't going to go through all of that anytime soon, so I might as well just play it while it's relavent.

Happy birthday fambo. Witcher 3 was the first game I played this generation and it almost singlehandedly re-invigorated my waning love of gaming at the time, it's great. It's the only game of the series I'd actively recommend too as it's both the best and most accessible, and if anything will make it easier to put up with the first two. Witcher 1 in particular is really awkward and not that good unless you have a lot of patience.

Witcher 2 I never finished but it's interesting in that it has two completely different story paths after the prologue, and I don't mean some slightly different dialogue and objectives, I mean there's two separate campaigns with entirely different areas and characters depending on who you side with in the prologue.

I bought and read The Last Wish after playing and it was pretty good too though I think a lot of it went over my head, and I have Sword of Destiny lying around somewhere. I don't even like fantasy games in general but the corrupted fairy tales and slavic mythology make it so unique and fascinating next to every other western fantasy setting. It's interesting how different of a character Geralt is as well, he's much more talkative and emotive in the book but I guess they suppressed his personality to be more of a conduit for the player.

Last I checked the main book series hadn't been fully translated which put me off at the time, but it's something I might consider getting into.

The standalone version of Gwent is meant to be coming out soon as well, pretty excited for that. I miss the RPG trope of having a card game and that's one of the best examples.

Alright last post.

I'm still chipping away at Bloodborne as well. Don't have much more to do but the chalice dungeons are without a doubt some of the worst content in the whole series as well as some of the most blatant examples of artificial difficulty, and have seriously impacted my opinion of the overall game as a result.

I'm playing The Old Hunters (the dlc) to cleanse my palette when the bullshit gets too harsh and it's much more enjoyable, these might be some of the best levels in the game. Not sure if it would have been worth the $20 asking price [I have the GOTY version] but it's so far been all round well designed and seems to have a massive amount of new weapons.

@jercurpac been meaning to ask - which ending did you get in Bloodborne, and what do you make of the story overall?

At 2/21/17 09:07 PM, WDL2006 wrote: Lately, I have been playing lots and LOTS of Rocket League and Halo 5

Rocket League represent. You playing on xbone?

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-25 09:26:14

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-25 12:47:38

At 2/3/17 12:18 PM, Jackho wrote: The facebook log in prompt and trying to make me use my real name already has me put off. Just fuck off Sony.

Right now I'm waiting for Bloodborne to update and trying to get a PS+ subscription since it freezes every time I try from the console(edit: and the site just loads indefinitely. guess I'm playing bloodborne offline). It already took a restart for the PSN sign-in to work,

I love PS4, but I never had PSN. The only games I've played online are Neverwinter and Warframe, which are free without it. I do want to get some store cards to buy MKX dlc, Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Can't seem to order physical cards, though. I am not giving Sony my bank info and I don't trust the digital code on Amazon after all the complaints of people not getting the e-mail.

and I tried finding a new theme over the ass ugly default look but the store was so slow to load and so clumsy to navigate that I gave up. The search function literally does not work.

Yeah, the search sucks, especially if you're looking for themes or icons that aren't free. As for themes, I like the Playstation 20th anniversary theme. Right now I'm using the theme that came with my copy of Hellblazers, though, just because it's a free thing.

At 2/25/17 01:13 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/22/17 02:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
Witcher 3
Last of Us

I've had both of these for a few months yet I haven't even tried them because I've been hooked on Mad Max (plus I got my psx emu working with like 60 games on the pc hooked to my tv, playing with my dualshock 4). Been wanting both forever. I never finished Witcher 2, even though I really liked it. I've had it for a couple of years. I kinda wanted to beat at least one of the two paths before doing Witcher 3, but that's probably not happening. Plus, both of my 360 controllers stopped turning on for some reason. I was definitely planning on Iorveth path. I spent so many hours on that game and never even got to that fork in the road. Because games like that are great and making me crazy anal and obsessive and compulsive over every choice.

There's a dlc story for the Last of Us? I didn't see this in the store.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-25 17:56:16

At 2/25/17 12:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I love PS4, but I never had PSN. The only games I've played online are Neverwinter and Warframe, which are free without it. I do want to get some store cards to buy MKX dlc, Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Can't seem to order physical cards, though. I am not giving Sony my bank info and I don't trust the digital code on Amazon after all the complaints of people not getting the e-mail.

I have PS+ but don't play online at all. My brother has used it to play online on stuff like Battlefront and Xenoverse. I really only have it to get free games and get discounts on stuff. Like I got MGS V: The Phantom Pain for free the first month I had it. I also downright refuse to connect my bank account to my Playstation. I'm not stupid. I'm not going to risk someone taking my money via my PS4 since Sony keeps having to deal with people hacking them. I just get cards at like GameStop and Walmart and whatnot. It's easier on me since I'm in the general area where they're at and if someone DOES use the money I have on my account, it's not going to be a whole hell of a lot because I only ever have enough on there to either buy a game or two or pay for my subscription for PS+. Which usually equates to $30-40 at a time.

Yeah, the search sucks, especially if you're looking for themes or icons that aren't free. As for themes, I like the Playstation 20th anniversary theme. Right now I'm using the theme that came with my copy of Hellblazers, though, just because it's a free thing.

I have the Playstation 20th Anniversary theme on MY PS4. It was one of the first things I downloaded when I initially got it and never changed it since. I HAVE downloaded other themes but I never found one I liked more than it.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-26 14:27:51

I've been playing the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion of Baldur's Gate.

Jeez these werewolves fights on that pirate ship are a load of *******. Basically you linearly go through four small floors, get surrounded by werewolves on each, and there's nothing you can do other than just mêlee it out and hope none of your PCs die (which they will). You can't really cast spells or fight tactically or anything as there's no space to do anything... It's been a great game so far, but this dungeon seems very poorly designed.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-26 17:22:22

At 2/25/17 01:13 AM, Jackho wrote: @absurd-ditties I think you mentioned being put off by the ''youtuber bait'' sensibilities but I urge you to give it another go - that's really not what the main game is like and the demo imo didn't do a good job of properly conveying it either.

I, entirely hypocritically, ended up watching Two Best Friends Play run through it on Youtube instead. It looked fine, but glad I didn't buy it at full price like I'd thought about.

I'm not an enormous fan of the series outside of 4 (which is one of the best games of all time) anyway. REmake is very good, but the rest just range from pretty solid (2, 3, 5) to utter dross (0, 6, CVX).

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-26 18:58:17

Pokemon pearl

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-27 00:04:20

@Auz what do you think of Torment: Tides of Numenera, the "thematical" (actual word used) sequel to Planescape Torment? I had completely forgotten it was happening until I saw the physical copies on amazon. It's releasing in a couple days.

At 2/25/17 12:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I love PS4, but I never had PSN. The only games I've played online are Neverwinter and Warframe, which are free without it. I do want to get some store cards to buy MKX dlc, Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Can't seem to order physical cards, though. I am not giving Sony my bank info and I don't trust the digital code on Amazon after all the complaints of people not getting the e-mail.

Ended up getting a three month membership that so far I've barely used. Part of Bloodborne/Souls is the threat of being invaded by other players at any moment but it only happened a couple times for me. They do paypal which should be safer than entering card details directly.

I like the PS4 overall now. Not sure if I'd rank it above or below the xbone since they both have strengths. Most of the issues I've been having are only on the Pro as well, starting to think Sony dropped the ball on this version of the console.

There's a dlc story for the Last of Us? I didn't see this in the store.

Yeah, Left Behind. It's included with the PS4 version by default though so that's why it's not in the store.

At 2/25/17 05:56 PM, Viper wrote:
At 2/25/17 12:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I like the Playstation 20th anniversary theme.
I have the Playstation 20th Anniversary theme on MY PS4. It was one of the first things I downloaded when I initially got it and never changed it since. I HAVE downloaded other themes but I never found one I liked more than it.

Same here boyos, the 20th anniv. theme is the one I was looking for. That start up sound is life. On the PS3 I had one of the official Newgrounds wallpapers as the background but it doesn't seem you can do that anymore. I'd love some real extensive customization options over these pre-made themes.

Apparently if you platinum Bloodborne you get emailed a download code with an exclusive theme. That does sound like some mew-under-the-bus shit but if true I might switch.

also y'all should add a boy on psn: https://psnprofiles.com/Jakho

At 2/26/17 05:22 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: I, entirely hypocritically, ended up watching Two Best Friends Play run through it on Youtube instead. It looked fine, but glad I didn't buy it at full price like I'd thought about.
I'm not an enormous fan of the series outside of 4 (which is one of the best games of all time) anyway.

Well fair enough. It's not a masterpiece but as a long time fan it has more or less everything I'd want in an RE reboot, as well as managing to have a somewhat decent original story with cheese oozing out the windows at times.

I agree on 4 but I would rank RE1 (I can go either way on the original or the sequel) alongside it. I don't think as highly of 2 and 3 either and 6 is the only major game in the series I've never finished and don't really intend to, s-

utter dross (CVX)

what how dare u say that u monster

At 2/25/17 01:13 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/22/17 02:53 PM, Jercurpac wrote: A friend bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday, I was attempting to read the books (I will recommend reading the two short story collections) and play the games in order, but realistically I probably wasn't going to go through all of that anytime soon, so I might as well just play it while it's relavent.
Happy birthday fambo.

It was two months ago and I'm just getting around to it after finishing up the games I got with my PS4, but thank you. I have Breath of the Wild on preorder so hopefully I can manage to juggle the two games in my spare time. I'm really into The Witcher now, but I've managed to avoid a good 90% of the news and leaked info on the new Zelda so I really want to dive into it when I get it.

And I still want to play Nioh, Nier: Automata, REVII, and Horizon Zero Dawn at some point. This is shaping up to be a damn good year for games.

I bought and read The Last Wish after playing and it was pretty good too though I think a lot of it went over my head, and I have Sword of Destiny lying around somewhere. I don't even like fantasy games in general but the corrupted fairy tales and slavic mythology make it so unique and fascinating next to every other western fantasy setting.

I don't know if there's really more to get other than Geralt is kind of a Philip Marlowe or Man With No Name who gets called into solve supernatural problems for people whose emotional baggage generally ends up being a bigger hassle than the monsters Geralt has to fight. The prose does have a weird habit of suddenly becoming vague and confusing during certain action scenes and I'd have to read through them multiple times to figure out what was happening. Don't know if that's an intentional quirk to unsettle the reader or just an occasional bad translation. The first two books are great and I'd say Sword of Destiny is a must read, but the actual novels are just solid unless you really want more specifics about the world, but if you've played the games you probably already know it.

It's interesting how different of a character Geralt is as well, he's much more talkative and emotive in the book but I guess they suppressed his personality to be more of a conduit for the player.

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. He's a much deeper character in the books who is both completely dedicated to his moral code while still being filled with doubt and self-consciousness and in the game so far he's much more of a cool guy who fights monsters and doesn't afraid of anything.

Last I checked the main book series hadn't been fully translated which put me off at the time, but it's something I might consider getting into.

The standalone version of Gwent is meant to be coming out soon as well, pretty excited for that. I miss the RPG trope of having a card game and that's one of the best examples.

I've heard there's a decent single player component which sounds really good after the disappointment that was the Hearthstone expansions. I'd just like a good alternative to Hearthstone in general that's fun for people who don't dedicate 50+ hours a month or $100 each expansion. Every few months I go back to Hearthstone to get my card game fix, but I always leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

At 2/25/17 12:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I spent so many hours on that game and never even got to that fork in the road. Because games like that are great and making me crazy anal and obsessive and compulsive over every choice.

It took me a long time to get over the need to be perfect and do things a certain way in games like these. Missing events and items and making choices that turn the story a way I wouldn't have wanted are a part of the story that I'm actively creating. I like the story of me fumbling my way to the end more than me obsessing over everything and save-scumming decision points to not fuck anything up. I get not everyone wants to, or even should, enjoy that. But for me the other option was getting frustrated and never finishing games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-27 19:20:39

At 2/27/17 12:04 AM, Jackho wrote: @Auz what do you think of Torment: Tides of Numenera, the "thematical" (actual word used) sequel to Planescape Torment? I had completely forgotten it was happening until I saw the physical copies on amazon. It's releasing in a couple days.

Didn't hear of this, but omg! That looks amazing! If it's at least half as well written as the original I'm definitely getting it. When the price drops that is.

Thanks for the heads up!

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-28 00:24:57

Night in the Woods is so good it makes me cry.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-01 03:26:16

Hopefully will be on Horizon Zero Dawn, tomorrow morning. If not, I will most likely be on Battlefield 1.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-01 07:00:29

Diddy Kong Racing

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-01 20:57:20

At 3/1/17 07:24 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Halo Wars 2. The first game served as my introduction to the RTS genre, plus an nice addition to the overall story. So far I'm liking two as well, but that's because nothing has really changed. At least not on the campaign side of things. Haven't played the multiplayer yet.

If you're playing on PC let me know if it actually has an active player base. Me any my friends are always on the look out for a good RTS, but most new ones die out pretty quick and AoE:II and SC2 are the only ones that you can easily get a 4v4 match going on in.

Of course, being a Windows Store exclusive with no cross play pretty much means the answer is no, but a guy can hope.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-03 08:17:16

Finally, Horizon!

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 07:49:34

plad sum geams

Resident Evil 7

Beat it and loaded an earlier save for the other ending. There's a lot of flaws, but overall I loved this, one of my new favourites of the series. I had considered this a dead series and now all of a sudden I'm very excited to see what they'll do with it next. Gaming is good right now.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters

Just beat this one this morning, though I still haven't killed the optional boss. A very solid additional area with some great bosses. I'm not sure it's worth the asking price if you don't have the GOTY edition but these are some of the most well-rounded levels in the game overall, with a huge amount of new weapons. Doesn't take too long to beat though.

A small chunk of it is also dedicated to an aspect of Lovecraft the main game mostly ignored: the ocean. There's a rotting fishing village with aquatic themed enemies and the final battle is on a shore. It's cool stuff but I wish there was a bit more of it.

Batman: Arkham VR

What the fuck was this? It's well made but barely an hour long for $20 - and I wasn't rushing it at all, I examined everything thoroughly and spent a solid five minutes trying to hit Alfred with Ras al Ghul's sword by throwing it at him from across the batcave. I played it again and got all the trophies in probably two hours total. The story is actually pretty decent for how short it is but the final level / reveal comes out of nowhere with a very awkward transition from the level before it which might suggest there was meant to be more of it.

It's basically just a puzzle game too, no combat, with one murder to solve. There's one bit where you attack some thugs, the screen fades to black and gives you some punching sounds, then fades in with everything sorted. It's an even bigger disappointment in the moment than it sounds. Two or three more cases would've gone a long way here, as well as some sort of combat sequence.

It's a decent showcase, but at this price and with so much praise behind it I expected an actual game. One site called this the PSVR's killer app. I'm not sure who's gonna be satisfied buying a 500$ device for a one-hour experience with little replay value. It did sell me on the value of teleport movement in VR games, so at least there's that.

Playstation VR Worlds

I guess this is to PSVR what SMB was to the NES, in that it's a showcase to players for what the device can do, and an example for developers to follow. It's a mixed bag and overall not worth the price when it's not bundled with the headset. Consists of five smaller games so I may as well list those:

The London Heist - This one is very good and I imagine could sell a lot of people on VR as more than a gimmick. Tragically short at only half an hour or so. Aiming and shooting in VR feels god damn excellent, there's nothing like frantically reaching for another magazine in a shootout since you have to reload manually. There's a laser sight that makes it simple but when that's disabled it really is almost like real shooting - ie it's extremely difficult to be both quick and precise, if you duel wield or hold the gun sideways your accuracy will drop to shit, etc. Now I just have to wait for a full length game to feel like this.

VR Luge - Has you barreling down a steep road and avoiding oncoming traffic, with the horrific misstep of having you control it by tilting your head, with all the precision of . It sucks. If you've ever wanted to experience virtual whiplash, this is the game for you.

Danger Ball - Basically 3D Pong but with opponents who have varying abilities and behaviours. It's okay. Single player only which is a shame.

Ocean Descent - The default option and the one meant to ease people into VR I guess. It's an ""experience"" rather than a game as it's not interactive and doesn't offer anything beyond what you can get on google cardboard or samsung gear. It's nice enough, but too simple to really hold my attention.

Scavengers Odyssey - This is a narrative driven, vaguely Metroid Prime esque FPS game with full movement. This is the one I haven't finished since it gets pretty nauseating, you jump around asteroids and run up walls and stuff, and it's all in a mech thing that moves a bit too quickly for me. Still a somewhat interesting showcase of what could be.

At 2/27/17 04:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I have Breath of the Wild on preorder so hopefully I can manage to juggle the two games in my spare time. I'm really into The Witcher now, but I've managed to avoid a good 90% of the news and leaked info on the new Zelda so I really want to dive into it when I get it.

How is it? I'm not a fan of Zelda nor Nintendo at all but I have to say Breath of the Wild looks far more appealing to me than any other game in the series has. The graphics sort of make it look like an open world Journey.

I have a kind of soft spot for those steam games that vaguely rip off minecraft, the kind that's usually in permanent early access. There's a game called Salt that's still very barebones where you play a pirate and just sail aimlessly, explore islands and find better equipment etc, I've wasted too much time on it for how little it actually offers, and Breath of the Wild sort of looks like a big budget, triple A and actually finished version of that kind of game. My favourite Zelda is the original on NES because that's sort of what it is, albeit in a primitive and overly cryptic way.

As I said I'm not a nintendo fan and would rank them by far my least favourite of the big three, but I'd really like an excuse to buy a Switch and to see it do well. Hopefully by christmas there'll be a decent enough selection of games out.

And I still want to play Nioh, Nier: Automata, and Horizon Zero Dawn at some point. This is shaping up to be a damn good year for games.

These are all on my radar too, I've been wanting to pick up Horizon Zero Dawn but I've already built up way too much of a backlog on PS4. Once I'm finished with Bloodborne I'll need a long break before I try Nioh though, and I'm not sure it's even worth the effort of catching up with the Nier lore since I haven't played the first one or Drakengard.

REVII

Can't wait for REVIII: BIOH8ZARD

I don't know if there's really more to get other than Geralt is kind of a Philip Marlowe or Man With No Name who gets called into solve supernatural problems for people whose emotional baggage generally ends up being a bigger hassle than the monsters Geralt has to fight.

It's more the allusions to mythology and fairy tales that I'm probably missing. I almost didn't pick up on the Snow White character in one of the Last Wish stories, let alone the more obscure slavic stuff that's probably mixed in. I think there was a couple moments where I wasn't quite sure what tone the scene was meant to convey as well.

in the game so far he's much more of a cool guy who fights monsters and doesn't afraid of anything.

I like how the game doesn't take itself or Geralt 100% seriously either though. One of the early trailers had Geralt acting a bit too badass and so the game directly makes fun of the 'killing monsters' line at one point.

Every few months I go back to Hearthstone to get my card game fix, but I always leave with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm exactly the same. Hoping Gwent could be a permanent replacement.

It took me a long time to get over the need to be perfect and do things a certain way in games like these. Missing events and items and making choices that turn the story a way I wouldn't have wanted are a part of the story that I'm actively creating. I like the story of me fumbling my way to the end more than me obsessing over everything and save-scumming decision points to not fuck anything up. I get not everyone wants to, or even should, enjoy that. But for me the other option was getting frustrated and never finishing games.

It helps that in the Witcher 3 there's very rarely a right choice, or even a good (as opposed to evil) one, it's all just shades of grey and it's hard to know which choices will have the biggest impacts. If I remember correctly some of the most important parts seem like benign dialogue choices in the moment and not obvious forks in the road.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 20:30:12

I bought The Sims 4 yesterday and I love it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 21:11:20

At 3/5/17 08:30 PM, Alias wrote: I bought The Sims 4 yesterday and I love it.

I remember the sims
Can i see a pic of your sims

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 21:18:12

At 3/5/17 09:11 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
I remember the sims

yah

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 21:20:45

At 3/5/17 09:18 PM, Alias wrote:
At 3/5/17 09:11 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
I remember the sims
yah

Tattoos
https://youtube.com/watch?v=a8c5wmeOL9o

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 22:44:30

I'm finally playing through Pokemon X now. I'm currently up to the Lumiose City gym

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

Who walks away from a spider attack?

BBS Signature

Finally got the platinum trophy in Bloodborne. 115 hours. The chalice dungeons are some of the worst and most frustrating content I've ever played through in any game and I'll look forward to never touching them again.