00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ToothpickBirdy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game You're Currently Playing

356,557 Views | 5,147 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-08 13:07:05

@jercurpac, forgot to say TLOU actually has a pretty unique and underrated online mode. Don't know if it's still active but it's definitely worth trying.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-08 13:17:44

didn't mean to double post :(

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-09 07:17:23

Half Life 2 and Subnautica

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-10 01:44:04

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-10 13:31:58

Made more progress on Bloodborne. I'm liking how many areas there are to go to at any one time.

Killed Vicar Amelia, Witch of Hemwick and Undead Giant. The vicar was insanely difficult until I googled it and learned that saw weapons do a massive amount of extra damage to beast enemies, that sorted her out. Before that I was getting destroyed every time after barely scraping her health bar.

The witch wasn't too bad as far as gimmicky bosses in these games go but the fight is still a bit cheap, that there's actually two of them and can heal eachother indefinitely. What's bullshit is the projectile move that locks you in place, it lasts far too long and she can throw another before the first one is finished so you get stuck in a loop, and by the time you get out you're likely to be surrounded and unable to roll away. That's literally the only thing that adds some threat to this boss though so I'll forgive it for now.

Undead Giant was the most bullshit boss of the game so far by a landslide, he's ridiculous. Gave me flashbacks to Fume Knight. Kills in one swing most of the time, all of his attacks cover a massive area and hit too fast to dodge or to get an attack of your own in, and if you hang back and play defensively he can close the gap between you in a pretty much unavoidable instant death AOE attack. When you enter the boss room he immediately does a leaping attack about 50% of the time, and not once was I able to avoid getting hit. If another one of these guys shows up I'm liable to just turn around and walk away from the chalice dungeons altogether.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-10 17:31:29

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-11 13:15:55

Undertale (Sans Fight since 5 months)

Cavestory

The binding of Isaac Afterbirth +

Scribblenauts Unmasked and

60 seconds

Hi, Follow? :3

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-11 18:16:13

Finished The Last of Us Remastered. It's one of those rare games that tells a gripping emotionally charged story that's tightly constructed, well written, and acted, while still being fun to play. The worst criticism I can level at it is that Naughty Dog is a little too in love with witty banter. I'd heard that a lot of people aren't too hot on the ending, specifically I've heard people say that it presents you with what looks like a choice that you don't really have. I guess that didn't bother me, because I was never really under any illusion that I was playing a character that I had any control over. It's a story about Joel who's a broken man who find something to care about and desperately clings to it and the player has no input as to what kind of person he is.

At 2/10/17 01:31 PM, Jackho wrote: If another one of these guys shows up I'm liable to just turn around and walk away from the chalice dungeons altogether.

I wouldn't stress the chalice dungeons. I think they're meant as more of a post game thing that you're probably not meant to finish outside of NG+ since their difficulty stays the same when you loop into NG+. They're alright when you need to decompress from a really tough part of the main game, but I don't think you're missing anything major by not going through them. At least I didn't find anything that I would have been annoyed to have missed and I got through most of the third chalice dungeon by the time I beat the game.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-12 07:06:13

I think I'm nearly finishing Resident Evil. It can't be much more than one more area from here. Have to say, when these hunters start to appear, the game becomes a lot more tense. Like I really started to dread what's in the next room and never felt quite safe outside the save rooms. The Magnum does an awesome job exposing of pretty much everything though.

In Baldur's Gate I beat Durlag's Tower, which is some kind of add-on dungeon that came with the enhanced edition. It's pretty sweet and well-designed. Challening, but not too difficult at the right power level. Also, it's quite long. I think it took me a good 10 hours or so to make it through which is good mileage for an expansion pack I would say.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-13 15:14:37

At 2/12/17 07:06 AM, Auz wrote: I think I'm nearly finishing Resident Evil. It can't be much more than one more area from here. Have to say, when these hunters start to appear, the game becomes a lot more tense. Like I really started to dread what's in the next room and never felt quite safe outside the save rooms. The Magnum does an awesome job exposing of pretty much everything though.

I was literally 20 steps away from the end of the game lol. I expected there would be some kind of escape scene or a real final boss battle, but I guess not.

It looks fun to replay, so I think I'll give it a second play with Jill this time. Hope I can beat it fast enough to unlock the secret weapons.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-13 15:52:57

Tetris.

xoxo

svalis

Been playing a couple games I've gotten from PS+. Might as well try and get some real value out of the $60 a year I'm spending on it.

Ninja Senki DX -

It's a decent NES throwback that mostly plays like Megaman without the level selecting or weapon swapping. I don't want to rip on the game too hard, because it's a polished up version of a game that was originally released for free six years ago that I ended up getting for free and getting a couple enjoyable hours out of, but at this point even I'm kind tired of NES throwbacks. Looking at the achievements, not even 1% of the people who played it bothered to beat it (it only takes three hours tops) so I guess I'm not alone in that. One thing people forget about the greats of the NES library is that they were ambitious and often tried new things. Ninja Senki DX doesn't really justify itself being a purchasable game if I can offhand recommend at least a dozen NES games that you should probably play before this if you're interested in this style of game. A game like Shovel Night takes the style and some of the limitations of the NES and builds a modern game with it, but Ninja Senki takes a step back, which is kind of a bummer to see when it's a solid enough for me to tell the dev could have done better.

Also the bosses are hot trash.

Not a Hero -

The idea of a transposing a cover-based shooter into two dimensions is interesting in theory, but I don't know how well it works in execution. If there is some mileage in the idea Not a Hero doesn't cover a whole lot of it. To be fair it tries to have a decent number of playable characters with different mechanics and a decent amount of explosives to wreack havok with, but the core of sliding into cover and popping out shots is less exciting without the extra dimension. Maybe it's the fact that in three dimensions you never have all the information about what's going on around you in all directions so situational awareness becomes an important factor which is something that is often lost in Not a Hero. Plus the level design is such that the levels are either straightforward and kind of uninteresting or mazelike and tedious. I think there's enough good here that I'll try and finish it if it's not too long.

Also the humor is kind of flat and the silly "so random" dialog with an occasional adjective madlibbed in only occasionally elicits a chuckle. It's all subjective with humor, but the saturday morning cartoon style, but with violence and the word "fuck" only has so much mileage with me.

Titan Souls -

Man, I remember hearing about this game and thinking it sounded dope as fuck. It's like a 2D reimagining of Shadow of the Colossus with bosses that die in one hit, but also kill you in one hit. First off the main concept just doesn't work because you either don't get the trick to beating a boss and it kills you in a few seconds, or you eventually figure it out and you kill it in under a minute so the fights don't feel epic or even all that satisfying. Secondly the game is ugly. In my opinion it's an example of pixel art done wrong. Put this game next to Hyper Light Drifter and see how well it compares and when most of your time in the game is going to be walking around the world looking for boss encounters or returning to one after a quick death you need to have something really gorgeous to take in.

To be fair a few hours in it seemed like some of the fights were beginning to have maybe a little more to them, but by that point I was ready to move on to something new.

Azkend 2-

It's a match 3 puzzle game. Not much more to say about it aside from the fact that the music is shockingly good for the kind of game it's in.

BBS Signature

I've put about 55 hours into bloodborne in like five days someone send help

I think this might be the best souls game. I only have relatively small complaints and it's definitely the most 'finished' or least-rushed of the whole series. compared to a whole archstone being missing in Demon's Souls or the end levels of Dark Souls being pretty ass, this is all round well made.

Still not finished, but I think there's only one boss left so I've been doing more of the chalices and getting as many trophies as I can, and I might do the DLC now unless I can cheat it by backing up my save, to beat the game and then revert to before the boss.

Favourite boss so far is probably Martyr Logarius, he's super aggressive with a range of attacks and took several tries without being overwhelming.

Rom is brilliant visually but his fight was the worst yet and took the most attempts of any boss so far. He's just tedious and packed with some of the worst elements of a Souls boss - multiple enemies, projectiles that are hard to see, instant deaths, AOE attacks, a lot of luck. It sucks.

I did play one other thing -

For Honor [Beta]

That ubisoft online medieval thing with knights and vikings and samurai, and sort of Dark Souls inspired combat with small teams. Didn't get playing too much thanks to the download time but it's quite good, though there seems to be a good bit of rock-paper-scissors with the classes, in that some classes always win or lose against others which is nonsense in a game focused on sequential 1v1 battles.

It's extremely jarring too that every type of unit is selectable with no correlation to what team you're on, so it's not so much knights vs. vikings as two indistinguishable teams with a random selection of warriors on each.

When I see another player it takes me a moment to figure out if they're friend or foe and that's ridiculous - why on earth would you take three very visually distinct armies and then just mix them together so you cant tell which is which? Plus the samurai feel out of place already without putting one in the middle of a team of burly scandinavians.

At 2/11/17 06:16 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Finished The Last of Us Remastered.

The ending is the highlight, imo. Though I don't think people were annoyed at a lack of choice so much as they were alienated by Joel's actions. It doesn't delve too deep into his character past the prologue and a lot of his actions could be waved off or just go unnoticed as generic action game stuff, I can understand how it might feel like a sharp turn at the end. Though iirc there's one (spoiler) audio tape near the end that explains there was actually a very slim chance of Ellie's brain resulting in any significant progress toward a cure. Cheapens it a bit imo in justifying Joel's choice.

Choice is extremely overrated in narrative driven games honestly. I can't think of one game where the addition of choice made a significant improvement on the narrative, save for deliberate exercises like the Stanley Parable or Virtue's Last Reward where the entire gameplay is freedom of choice. I understand it's condescending when something like The Walking Dead or Mass Effect gives a fake choice for the sole purpose of tricking you and it all falls down like a cardboard facade on a replay, but there's nothing wrong with a straight linear narrative in a game and if given the option I'd forego choice for the sake of a more cohesive story.

The worst part of the game for me is just how many people you have to kill over the course of the game, in a world where human life should carry some weight with waning populations out two heroes kill hundreds when there was little reason outside of the game railroading you into it. This is what I mean with generic action game stuff though, it could be an intentional display of Joel's character in how quickly he turns to brutal violence and teaches Ellie to do the same, in a film he would come off as psychopathic at that point but hey games are about shooting dudes what do you expect. I'm hesitant to assume it's an intentional discrete plot device though when 'you kill far too many people' was also my main issue with Uncharted 2 and 3 and part of this is just me being extremely sick of cover based shooters.

What do you think of the Last of Us 2 trailer? I've said before I'm sure it'll be a decent game, but it's disappointing they'd make a sequel at all. The end of the first is great and I'd rather see Naughty Dog hit us with new ideas than sequels. I just hate that nothing can be a one off idea in gaming, it virtually always needs to be a trilogy at minimum. If Walking Dead season 2 and 3 are anything to go by it'll only cheapen an excellent ending and get worse from there.

I wouldn't stress the chalice dungeons. I think they're meant as more of a post game thing that you're probably not meant to finish outside of NG+ since their difficulty stays the same when you loop into NG+

There's a trophy for beating what I assume is the final chalice boss so I have to go all the way. They've grown on me but I can imagine this getting frustrating, currently I'm overleveled for it but the bosses in particular can still kill me if I'm not focusing. They actually did throw another Undead Giant in at one point with an added cannon but I managed to kill him the first time. I'm on the fourth chalice now I think.

At 2/13/17 03:14 PM, Auz wrote: I was literally 20 steps away from the end of the game lol. I expected there would be some kind of escape scene or a real final boss battle, but I guess not.

Uh, wasn't there sirens, a voice telling you the self destruct system has activated, killing Tyrant with a rocket launcher on the roof, escaping just in time to see the mansion explode beneath you? If you just quietly left then you got one of the bad endings. I don't recall the ending requirements on the remake but you can look them up anyway.

It looks fun to replay, so I think I'll give it a second play with Jill this time. Hope I can beat it fast enough to unlock the secret weapons.

RE games are some of the best to replay and try to speedrun. Also playing as Jill gives you a sort of safety net in the form of Barry, for example with the shotgun you don't need to replace it like you do with Chris, you can just grab it and walk out and Barry will save you from the trap. On the original PS1 game Jill was easy mode and Chris was hard, the remake added difficulty options on top of the character selections, but Jill is still easier.

At 2/13/17 03:52 PM, sval wrote: Tetris.

...but then they buried her alive, one evening nineteen forty-five

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-14 10:39:04

At 2/13/17 03:52 PM, sval wrote: Tetris.
...but then they buried her alive, one evening nineteen forty-five

...with just her sister at her side and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone

xoxo

svalis

Downloaded a plethora of Nes,GBA,GBC,OG Gameboy and later on some n64 titles. I'm pretty interested in trying my hand on Kablooey! for the super nintendo since it's been what I've looked for on youtube for over the past week.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-14 17:56:52

Still playing the Battlefield 1. Although the servers are shitty today due to an update. Lobbies aren't filling up to 40 players. Love the setting. The only Origin game i play, mostly i choose Steam over an other software.

Just an individual which trades in Gaming information // YouTube Gaming Channel // Discord: 5hadowbroker#4225 // Steam: 5hadowbroker

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-14 18:02:35

At 2/14/17 09:53 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/13/17 03:14 PM, Auz wrote: I was literally 20 steps away from the end of the game lol. I expected there would be some kind of escape scene or a real final boss battle, but I guess not.
Uh, wasn't there sirens, a voice telling you the self destruct system has activated, killing Tyrant with a rocket launcher on the roof, escaping just in time to see the mansion explode beneath you? If you just quietly left then you got one of the bad endings. I don't recall the ending requirements on the remake but you can look them up anyway.

Nope. I got a bad ending. Thought I would get a good ending with saving Jill, but apparently I didn't figure out that the scream in the mansion came from Rebecca and I just completely ignored it. Rebecca will activate the self-destruct sequence that will lead to a good ending.

RE games are some of the best to replay and try to speedrun. Also playing as Jill gives you a sort of safety net in the form of Barry, for example with the shotgun you don't need to replace it like you do with Chris, you can just grab it and walk out and Barry will save you from the trap. On the original PS1 game Jill was easy mode and Chris was hard, the remake added difficulty options on top of the character selections, but Jill is still easier.

Yeah. I feel that Jill is easier with the lock pick, 8 inventory slots and Barry and Richard helping me out. However, I've set it to normal and noticed that the game is a lot more difficult now so I assume I accidentally played on easy mode the first time...

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-15 16:00:50

Beat Bloodborne. Best Souls game. Once the whole cosmic horror thing kicked in it had me hooked.

Managed to get the 'true' ending with the secret final boss who shows up out of nowhere and I have no idea how it ties into the rest of the story, and the ending itself consists of one extremely short scene that I really don't know what to make of. Guess I shouldn't be surprised a game this weird and vague kept the weirdest and vaguest bit for last.

Loaded up an older save and went for another ending where you just get your head chopped off and that one's actually a lot better with more resolution, but makes me wonder what was the point of the hunt in the first place. I think I have most of the story figured out but few specifics. It's my favourite story of the souls games by far though and I'm already itching to piece more of it together. For all the praise Souls' lore gets I was never too invested in trying to figure the other games out beyond a basic understanding.

as for the bosses

Mergo's Wet Nurse - Definitely on the easy side, but brilliant visually and one of my favourite fights in the game honestly. Really interesting design, great music.

The First Hunter - The regular final boss, one of the harder bosses in the game but a great fight. Mirrors Gwyn in Dark Souls but unlike most players I always found Gwyn pretty damn hard. I like how he's susceptible to gun parrying for the whole fight similar to Gwyn again. Very satisfying to beat. Another favourite.

Moon Presence - The 'true' final boss. This one I'm not so sure of. He's not very hard or memorable and feels to similar to earlier bosses, with only two gimmick attacks to set it apart. One where he instantly reduces you to 1HP but pauses so you can wail on him and get your health back, and one where he disables your blood vials which is cheap as hell and lasts way too long. He doesn't look or feel like a product of the 'Great Old Ones' the way Rom and Ebrietas do. Not great for a hidden final boss that's so hard to trigger but maybe I'll warm up to it with some wiki reading.

Loaded an earlier save again so I can do the DLC on new game and not new game+

At 2/14/17 06:02 PM, Auz wrote: Nope. I got a bad ending. Thought I would get a good ending with saving Jill, but apparently I didn't figure out that the scream in the mansion came from Rebecca and I just completely ignored it. Rebecca will activate the self-destruct sequence that will lead to a good ending.

Ah, fair enough. In the original Chris literally tells you the scream is Rebecca's and that it came from up stairs, lol. You also see Rebecca die if you take to long to get there, complete with Chris dramatically falling to his knees and yelling ''REBECCAAAAAUGHH''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vB5om7hbk

I've set it to normal and noticed that the game is a lot more difficult now so I assume I accidentally played on easy mode the first time...

Whoops. It is meant to be pretty difficult the first time you play.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-15 16:15:30

Playing Oceanhorn.
A Zelda clone through and through.
It's not very difficult, although I have died numerous times.
I am definitely digging the music.
I'm enjoying it so far. If you catch it on sale and you loved some the Zelda games, I would give a chance.

At 2/14/17 09:53 AM, Jackho wrote: What do you think of the Last of Us 2 trailer? I've said before I'm sure it'll be a decent game, but it's disappointing they'd make a sequel at all. The end of the first is great and I'd rather see Naughty Dog hit us with new ideas than sequels. I just hate that nothing can be a one off idea in gaming, it virtually always needs to be a trilogy at minimum. If Walking Dead season 2 and 3 are anything to go by it'll only cheapen an excellent ending and get worse from there.

I haven't seen it. I want to check out the DLC campaign for TLOU first at some point. I'm not against a sequel, but I'd probably be happier if it was something in the same world with new characters instead of a direct continuation. But I understand the economics of gaming. It's not just some suit breathing down a studio's neck, Naughty Dog employs hundreds of people that they have a responsibility for and a new IP comes with inherent risks. Creating a world and characters that resonate that strongly with people is incredibly hard so it has to be a really tough choice to draw a line in the sand and say "we're never coming back to this." I've pretty much hardened myself to unnecessary sequels in any medium at this point. A great piece of story telling doesn't have to be marred by a misguided attempt to continue it.

At 2/14/17 06:02 PM, Auz wrote: Yeah. I feel that Jill is easier with the lock pick, 8 inventory slots and Barry and Richard helping me out. However, I've set it to normal and noticed that the game is a lot more difficult now so I assume I accidentally played on easy mode the first time...

Yeah the difficulty questionnaire is kind of odd, but also kind of cool. For most games there's no reason that any specific difficulty should be the preferred or intended way to play a game, especially since so many people have such varying skill levels. I like that it's more like you're choosing your experience rather than setting a difficulty. Even if there are games where I still feel like someone played it wrong by choosing easy (old habits are hard to break) people shouldn't feel bad for setting a game to a difficulty they can actually beat it at.

I never actually played the REmake on Gamecube, but I own it on Steam and only played about an hour, but was in the middle of too many different games at the time to finish it. And now that I think about it I was too scared to beat the original when I was a kid. I need to get on that.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-16 09:28:12

I've been playing a lot of Overwatch lately, don't really have a main. I mostly tend to play various characters.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-17 14:54:47

At 2/15/17 04:00 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/14/17 06:02 PM, Auz wrote: Nope. I got a bad ending. Thought I would get a good ending with saving Jill, but apparently I didn't figure out that the scream in the mansion came from Rebecca and I just completely ignored it. Rebecca will activate the self-destruct sequence that will lead to a good ending.
Ah, fair enough. In the original Chris literally tells you the scream is Rebecca's and that it came from up stairs, lol. You also see Rebecca die if you take to long to get there, complete with Chris dramatically falling to his knees and yelling ''REBECCAAAAAUGHH''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vB5om7hbk

That's hilarious :p

I have to say the voice-acting is sometimes passable at best in the GC version as well.

I've set it to normal and noticed that the game is a lot more difficult now so I assume I accidentally played on easy mode the first time...
Whoops. It is meant to be pretty difficult the first time you play.

It wasn't with Chris being able to tank five hits before dying.

Also, it's really hard to tell when enemies will go down now. Sometimes it takes two shots, sometimes I unload a whole magazine and they're still coming at me. Was this done on purpose? Cause it's really messing with me.

At 2/15/17 06:55 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 2/14/17 06:02 PM, Auz wrote: Yeah. I feel that Jill is easier with the lock pick, 8 inventory slots and Barry and Richard helping me out. However, I've set it to normal and noticed that the game is a lot more difficult now so I assume I accidentally played on easy mode the first time...
Yeah the difficulty questionnaire is kind of odd, but also kind of cool. For most games there's no reason that any specific difficulty should be the preferred or intended way to play a game, especially since so many people have such varying skill levels. I like that it's more like you're choosing your experience rather than setting a difficulty. Even if there are games where I still feel like someone played it wrong by choosing easy (old habits are hard to break) people shouldn't feel bad for setting a game to a difficulty they can actually beat it at.

I guess I filled in hiking or something, not sure what it had to do with anything. Oh well...

I never actually played the REmake on Gamecube, but I own it on Steam and only played about an hour, but was in the middle of too many different games at the time to finish it. And now that I think about it I was too scared to beat the original when I was a kid. I need to get on that.

Hah, I'm sure I would've been too. Jurassic Park was too scary for me.

BBS Signature

Haven't chose a main game I wanted to play this week ,it's been since January 23rd that I've put any effort into playing my games seriously. Had been playing Galaga,Pac-man and Kirby's Dreamland 2 since thursday. I did play a little bit of Donkey Kong Land 2 last night but the experience was tame to what I've played on the super nintendo many years ago.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-18 23:44:08

FF7

The Game You're Currently Playing

KEPT YA WAITING HUH?

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-19 00:34:42

Overwatch

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-19 13:53:25

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-19 14:05:33

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-02-21 19:51:38

Mario maker