00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Heavy Metal discussion thread

52,671 Views | 682 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 18:22:58

At 2/20/08 04:39 PM, darx wrote: done?

comments

the girl is great, matches well with the magazine style. The dragon in the background could use some work. I'd think to have it so close to the girl, it'd be better to make the head have a little bit more detail and depth with the scales. Right now it just kind of looks like the dragon got hit in the face with a tennis racket.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 18:23:54

At 2/20/08 04:39 PM, darx wrote: done?

comments

Wow, it has improved so much! Good job! I think it's pretty much done. My only possible suggestion would be to improve the look of the dragons claws, as their shape doesn't look as believable to me, though I usually think along the lines of eagle claws or something when I think of dragon claws, and you might be thinking more along the lines of Godzilla claws or something... anyway just a thought, but if you submitted it now, you'd probably do pretty good anyway.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 18:25:31

So, yeah, I can't draw people, I don't have photoshop, and I have no right to insult anyone's work, but "OMG MY FIRST ART CONTEST" isn't the way to go here. Some of these pieces seem unpolished and generally bad, especially compared to the caliber of work by established members.

Some examples:

Filter-rape - I saw a "finished" imaged that had been run through a filter in an attempt to give it a "magazine" look.

Poor shading - If your woman is human, their skin should look smooth, not like fur.

Poor lines - Use curves, goddamnit! I think we know what I mean here. Also, don't leave black outlines, unless your style is sufficiently cartoony.

Also, is there any reason we're limiting this to scantily-clad hot women? I'd have thought that on Newgrounds at least one ugly fat girl or scantily clad man would have been posted...

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 18:35:45

At 2/20/08 06:25 PM, AMP-d wrote:
Also, is there any reason we're limiting this to scantily-clad hot women? I'd have thought that on Newgrounds at least one ugly fat girl or scantily clad man would have been posted...

your opinion on all counts, but you should know that scantily clad women are the only option since this is based off the heavy metal magazine cover which features solely scantily clad sexy women.
Yeah so anyway don't be afraid to critique. The appeal to the general public in my mind is just as important as the appeal to the contest judge.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 19:20:55

This is my picture so far. It is one of the first things i've tried at to make look realistic (by following pox's tutorial) so i'd appreciate some comments and help and that. If you have any tips that'd be good.

The head is like that because I've not decided what hair to put on it yet. That is how I did the whole pic by the way (Like in his tut), got pictures, traced over the basics of them, then got rid of the pictures and drew over the top.

Bigger pic.

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 19:24:00

At 2/20/08 06:35 PM, EKublai wrote:
At 2/20/08 06:25 PM, AMP-d wrote:
your opinion on all counts, but you should know that scantily clad women are the only option since this is based off the heavy metal magazine cover which features solely scantily clad sexy women.
Yeah so anyway don't be afraid to critique. The appeal to the general public in my mind is just as important as the appeal to the contest judge.

What I meant there was that humor must count for something. I think an image making out a fat fangirl as a heroine or damsel in distress would be a funny satire.

And I know my opinion counts, but I'm sure countless newbs would disagree, and this contest draws new users like nothing else.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 19:24:56

At 2/20/08 06:35 PM, EKublai wrote: your opinion on all counts, but you should know that scantily clad women are the only option since this is based off the heavy metal magazine cover which features solely scantily clad sexy women.

Well, actually, if you look at the first 45 issues, scantily-clad women only appear occasionally until issue 46, and even after that, there were the occasional non-woman covers, such as issues 63, 68, 71, 113, 152, etc.
But IMO, scantily clad women are definitely more fun to draw...

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 19:43:09

At 2/20/08 07:20 PM, Mogly wrote: This is my picture so far.

so i herd u liek mudkips

"Whoever said 'winners never quit' obviously never considered addicts." - Hoeloe

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 19:58:28

At 2/20/08 07:43 PM, uyersuyer wrote:
so i herd u liek mudkips

Ey?

Cosmic Death that looks wicked. It looks a bit like Sarah Conner from Terminator.

WEBSITE

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 20:08:28

there is something strange with the pose... maybe the top is too small? its like the "no rib cage" woman.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 21:14:29

Ok, this is still a wip....I made the sword less "luppy"....is it better? I know the hilt still needs some work...

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 21:54:55

At 2/20/08 09:14 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: Ok, this is still a wip....I made the sword less "luppy"....is it better? I know the hilt still needs some work...

I like how you have the floor covered in blood and how it connects up to the background with the black dripping bit. I wouldn't of thought of doing a background like that.

One thing i'm wondering though with alot of the pics in this thread is whether the person actually drew the pic themselves, or whether they traced it, and if so to what extent? Not because 'it'd be breaking the rules' (because it wouldn't) but because I don't wanna be congratulating people who've not actually done alot of work.

Your drawing looks class. So if you did draw it well done.

WEBSITE

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 22:45:57

At 2/20/08 07:58 PM, Mogly wrote:
At 2/20/08 07:43 PM, uyersuyer wrote:
so i herd u liek mudkips
Ey?

Cosmic Death that looks wicked. It looks a bit like Sarah Conner from Terminator.

Cheers. Sarah Connor is bad-ass.

The final picture was supposed to look more like a fairy character called Merry Gentry by Laurell K Hamilton. It's too bad I forgot to add the month/date/issue number to the cover pic before I posted it in the final section. >_>

Here is the finished piece:

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 22:52:25

At 2/20/08 10:45 PM, CosmicDeath wrote: Here is the finished piece:

The only thing I don't like is the text. It all feels placed sloppily, and it's an unattractive font.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 23:07:02

Well I did trace the outline...I traced the outline just the outline ...and then I spent around 8 to 10 hours painting it...maybe even longer...I don't know I really don't keep track...using the outline outline outline outline of the image I painted directly over the outline in tendious fashion....with little tiny brushes...While painting the image I did for a short time REFERENCE the original lighting of the original reference...The lighting was real and I am in fact going for a realist looking picture of a HOT girl....I did add some shadows and some more lighting on my own... In my art thread I started a little thing showing the steps I used to create the image if you want to see it here is the link http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/8562 86/2 I can not find the original image I used as I stated before...It was an image on a web banner advertisement thing that I saw and liked while looking through websites trying to find a hot chick...I had to screen shot because it wouldn't let me copy the image...I looked a few days back when I was first accused of this not being my own original drawing...as soon as I find the image again I will post a link immediately...I traced the outline of the image not because I have to but because I wanted perfect proportion and this contest is about creating a REALIST image of a HOT girl...not a cartoon, dogged face monkey girl...knowing how NG's population operates I thought that everybody was going to be tracing...I don't care if you like my image...I don't care if you don't believe I created the image myself...OBVIOUSLY I spent a lot of time on this and the fact is that I like what I have done am very proud of it...

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 23:07:37

At 2/20/08 10:52 PM, KupaMan wrote:
At 2/20/08 10:45 PM, CosmicDeath wrote: Here is the finished piece:
The only thing I don't like is the text. It all feels placed sloppily, and it's an unattractive font.

Yeah, you may be right on that one. I don't know. I tried a good number of fonts and none of them felt right, so I fell back on Arial Narrow as it was a basic font and easily read/smooth. As for text placement, I thought it looked okay - but then I have been staring at it on and off since I started it three or so days ago and I was starting to go <_>

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 23:35:30

I feel for some reason my photoshop settings are weird... What should the basic settings be..

ie: resolution, color mode, pixel aspect ratio, and stuff like that

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-20 23:51:27

Ok, I figured I'd submit my WIP since everyone else is, and it's fun to see all the different ones. I've got a LONG way to go still, adding hair, a kickass background, details such as the spilt wine on her wing, touching up, and stuff like that. The final image will be cropped and resized too.

Also, I noticed a lot of people questioning how much time people are putting into their works, so I made a little walkthrough/tutorial that you can view HERE!!! Check it out! :D

Anyway, here's what I have so far. I just "finished" one of the wings. Let me know what you think so far...

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 00:24:00

At 2/20/08 11:35 PM, darx wrote: I feel for some reason my photoshop settings are weird... What should the basic settings be..

ie: resolution, color mode, pixel aspect ratio, and stuff like that

Basic web resolution is 72 dpi (dots/pixels per inch), for print it is 300 dpi. Colour mode is RGB for this because it is digital without view to print. As for PAR... well, I don't know much about that, but as far as I can tell it should be 1:1, right? I don't know how to adjust that on Photoshop.

I usually work on 150 dpi for web as it takes less space/memory to save when it is a fat psd, but is still large enough that you get crisper details when working on it. If you start off with a higher resolution and just resized the image later, you can work much more accurately. Hope this helps.

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 01:28:00

I usually work on 150 dpi for web as it takes less space/memory to save when it is a fat psd, but is still large enough that you get crisper details when working on it. If you start off with a higher resolution and just resized the image later, you can work much more accurately. Hope this helps.

Edit: I usually work at 150 dpi rather than 300dpi for web... 72 is what you want to end up with as it is best for web, but WIP should be higher resolution as it is better to work on, though not as high as print resolution as it is unnecessary and takes up too much memory.

*sigh* I really need to start concentrating on learning how to use Flash properly. Anyone know of any good tutorials online?

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 01:48:29

At 2/21/08 01:28 AM, CosmicDeath wrote:
*sigh* I really need to start concentrating on learning how to use Flash properly. Anyone know of any good tutorials online?

yeah, try the macromedia breeze tutorials ( or is it adobe now lol )

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 04:36:06

I decided hell with it I'm drawing something on paper and working it up from there.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 05:53:29

Well, I can already tell digital photoshop mastery is going to kick my ass, but here's my work in progress for the contest. So far it's just pencil and watercolor, for what that's worth. On the plus side, I NEVER try painting smut. Which may or may not be a good thing.
Any feedback would be nice...the color scheme is going to change dramatically but this is the basic "Slave to the Digital Seed" layout I was going for.
-jared

Who doesn't have a website these days? (Head Injury Theater)

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 08:46:16

I'm pretty impressed with you guys so far!
Keep it up

At 2/20/08 10:45 PM, CosmicDeath wrote:
Here is the finished piece:

that looks cool, but you should seriously consider going back on it and adding some more badass details on there.
I mean, as this point, you could have just traced it completely, that could be a model to which you added no modifications.
Still I love the colors.

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 09:20:54

Hello there NG citizens!I post this only to test and see if there's any problem with the resolution n size.Nothing much settled in the composition there and the blue guy won't even take part of the whole thing, that is only a coloring test. Plus i've seen really nice digital rendering so I will make sure in the end mine looks ridiculously badass as well.I'm kinda new at digital painting and I really appreciate the motivation this contest gives as well as all the help and tutorials reference given around.Really sorry if there's any major error with the picture size I have a hard time figuring out my conversion sometimes.Oh and I know it misses some color on the left and right edge.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 15:39:31

If anyone cares, here's how my Alice cover evolved:
http://dasneviano.deviantart.com/art/Ali cevolution-78032630

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 15:53:25

At 2/21/08 05:53 AM, RatsInTheWall wrote: Well, I can already tell digital photoshop mastery is going to kick my ass, but here's my work in progress for the contest. So far it's just pencil and watercolor, for what that's worth. On the plus side, I NEVER try painting smut. Which may or may not be a good thing.
Any feedback would be nice...the color scheme is going to change dramatically but this is the basic "Slave to the Digital Seed" layout I was going for.
-jared

looks good so far. I'm not sure how realistic watercolor can be. I know oil paints can get pretty photorealistic, but anyway, it's looking pretty stylish. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 18:21:34

Okies, could admin please delete my finished piece post please? Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 18:46:40

I need some background ideas for this one.

critiques welcome...

BBS Signature

Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread 2008-02-21 19:17:54

WIP, crit is appreciated like... alot. So criticize me please.

[fucking massive version]

I sucked 16 cocks in the process of making this.

Somebody feel bad for me and make me a sig.

If not fuck you.