00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PancracioChoco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

966,055 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 08:37:36

Hey guys, could somebody tell me that what's the best (free) program to create some art.
I downloaded Gimp 2 but to be honest I have no idea how it works.
So I would be glad if you give me some advice.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 09:19:10

At 1/24/10 08:37 AM, wallrus wrote: Hey guys, could somebody tell me that what's the best (free) program to create some art.

Saying "I want to create art" I quite bloody vague. Is it abstract art you are looking for? Try Apophysis or maybe http://al.chemy.org/. Want to create paintings/drawings? GIMP or MyPaint are your best shots. Is 3D your cup of tea? Blender 3D is the most powerful one there is.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 09:32:46

At 1/24/10 09:19 AM, Re2deemer wrote:
At 1/24/10 08:37 AM, wallrus wrote: Hey guys, could somebody tell me that what's the best (free) program to create some art.
Saying "I want to create art" I quite bloody vague. Is it abstract art you are looking for? Try Apophysis or maybe http://al.chemy.org/. Want to create paintings/drawings? GIMP or MyPaint are your best shots. Is 3D your cup of tea? Blender 3D is the most powerful one there is.

Thanks I just submitted one art, is it normal that I can't find it from art forum search, check it out from my userpage, please.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 09:43:11

At 1/24/10 09:32 AM, wallrus wrote: Thanks I just submitted one art, is it normal that I can't find it from art forum search, check it out from my userpage, please.

Art forum and art portal are two separate things and they do not share a search function.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 11:02:29

At 1/23/10 07:10 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 1/23/10 06:04 PM, RNNR wrote: Yeah... I'm now an uncle oO
liek oh mah goud, me too!
.... how many other people on here are uncles/aunts?
were getting old...yup.... old....

Hey hey hey, I'm not old.

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 14:13:30

hey, what do you guys listen to while you art? Or anything at all?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 14:15:28

At 1/24/10 02:13 PM, austinzombie wrote: hey, what do you guys listen to while you art? Or anything at all?

Whatever pops into my head, or comes up on shuffle.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 14:17:53

At 1/24/10 02:13 PM, austinzombie wrote: hey, what do you guys listen to while you art? Or anything at all?

usually jazz (e.g John Coltrane), but also swing (e.g. Frank Sinatra) or sometimes Hip Hop (e.g. Common, Jay-z).
At the moment im listening to Chris Whitley <thats blues; hes quite brilliant.

at lundsfryd-> if you read this, check that guy (whitley) out I think youll like him.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 14:18:19

Pretty much anything. In all honesty, while drawing/painting I find that I rarely notice what the music is like. A song could loop a dozen times before I could notice.
Some say that they listen to music that would set them in corresponding mood, but I tend to start with the necessary motivation/inspiration already existing. So you could say that I lsiten to music for the sake of listening to something

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 14:25:18

At 1/24/10 02:18 PM, Re2deemer wrote: Some say that they listen to music that would set them in corresponding mood, but I tend to start with the necessary motivation/inspiration already existing. So you could say that I lsiten to music for the sake of listening to something

Yeah same here I think, I mostly use music to stay focused on my drawing. i.e. to not get distracted by other sounds/noises.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 16:25:07

well it depends on what I'm listening to, Pandora or my own personal collection.
but when given choices I tend to listen to Irish punk and ska music. a few drinking songs. classical, the more powerful stuff rather than mellow (1812 Overture anyone?) Some times just some good solid rock, AC-DC, Guns and Roses, some BYOC here and there, Let us not forget The Offspring and Some of Sum41's older stuff....
and if I am feeling a bit wild, the the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song.

some times you just gotta rock out with your cock out....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:21:00

huh... I just got done with pasting this together and airbrushing... this.... but what should I do with it?.....
maybe we could use it for a imaginary user collab or something...
I was bored >.>......

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:24:42

Maybe there's something inspiring in here...

Liquid Funk in general, Bear McCreary (from the best show ever), Blu Mar Ten, Hybrid (new album this spring :D), Telefon Tel Aviv, BT, Celldweller or a combination....

In general and whatever fits my current mood. I find music to amplify my mood, Liquid Funk doing that the most. It's my favourite genre of everything, followed by breakbeat (Hybrid).

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:25:11

At 1/24/10 05:21 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I was bored >.>......

Hahaha, it looks as though that was an understatement.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:26:11

At 1/24/10 05:25 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/24/10 05:21 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I was bored >.>......
Hahaha, it looks as though that was an understatement.

yeah and the real sad thing is it took me like 10 minuets to do...

didn't keep me occupied long enough....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:32:34

I listen to music that makes me feel more artistic. Lately, I've been listening almost exclusively to the Sweeney Todd In Concert soundtrack from 2001, with George Hearn and Neil Patrick Harris in it while I art. This is also a result of the fact that I'm in my High School Musical this year; we're doing Sweeney Todd. I'm Tobias. I've become addicted to the musical as of late.

Usually, though, I listen to a lot of Indie rock. Arcade Fire, The Unicorns, The Dear Hunter, and Beirut are good examples of what I usually art to.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 17:56:02

At 1/24/10 05:21 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: huh... I just got done with pasting this together and airbrushing... this.... but what should I do with it?.....
maybe we could use it for a imaginary user collab or something...
I was bored >.>......

this could be used for a good thread idea, or just for a hoax i dont know looks like we could have some fun with it though

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 18:06:14

Lately I've been playing movies on my computer for background noise while I art... idk why, I guess I find it relaxing.

Normally, when I have my stereo around, I listen to alternative, rock, hip-hop/rap, electronica, classical... I can't stand country, country rock, or anything that wears it's religion on it's sleeve (eg. Christian music)

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 18:12:19

at uni and in most books were told not to lesson to music if were working because it makes the quality of your work drop, though i can't say i follow that advice unless i'm doing something really technical that requires exact measurements for example. though most of the time i'm listening to some old school rock like at the moment its the rolling stones

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 18:17:26

At 1/24/10 06:06 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I can't stand country, country rock, or anything that wears it's religion on it's sleeve (eg. Christian music)

I second that.

I usually listen to alternative, electronic and maybe either of them combined with some rock elements ...
I can't stand metal or any of it's descendant and there's no way I could ever work properly while listening to it ...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 18:23:37

At 1/24/10 05:21 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: NG user template

I think it's pretty sweet. It's probably very good for ... uh ... s-something, I guess ...

or not

Well I dunno, a collab would probably end up with lotsa noob entries. And if not, it would probably be a bit monotone, don't you think?

Oh yeah, and I tried downloading it, but it was all blurry.
Do you have any kickass, awesome, unblurred .png version in your inventory?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 18:27:02

At 1/24/10 06:06 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Lately I've been playing movies on my computer for background noise while I art... idk why, I guess I find it relaxing.

Normally, when I have my stereo around, I listen to alternative, rock, hip-hop/rap, electronica, classical... I can't stand country, country rock, or anything that wears it's religion on it's sleeve (eg. Christian music)

I third that. Country and Christian music aren't only ugly, they're cheesy. Damned accents are awful.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:03:41

At 1/24/10 06:12 PM, JustJoshy wrote:
at uni and in most books were told not to lesson to music if were working because it makes the quality of your work drop

which is why I asked, if anything at all because I find music is great for tedious painting (background, filling in sections and preliminary work) but all I can listen to is silence when I'm doing the actual subject of the painting and I guess its just focus I dunno. But I find it interesting that most people listen to music while doing art and that its so varried here.

Could it be that this is mostly based on digital artworking, rather than traditional? Are there any artists who can't work without music or are like me, can't really work with music on?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:07:54

At 1/24/10 07:03 PM, austinzombie wrote:
Could it be that this is mostly based on digital artworking, rather than traditional? Are there any artists who can't work without music or are like me, can't really work with music on?

It's harder for me to do most anything creative without some kind of background noise, be it writing, painting, digitally painting or animating. I don't know why but it feels like I can't concentrate on doing something creative unless something is stimulating the auditory part of my brain as well.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:19:38

At 1/24/10 07:03 PM, austinzombie wrote: Could it be that this is mostly based on digital artworking, rather than traditional? Are there any artists who can't work without music or are like me, can't really work with music on?
It's harder for me to do most anything creative without some kind of background noise, be it writing, painting, digitally painting or animating. I don't know why but it feels like I can't concentrate on doing something creative unless something is stimulating the auditory part of my brain as well.

i agree i find working in silence harder to concentrate and i seem to do more work with music on. though i do find i make less mistakes when doing traditional animation

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:20:52

At 1/24/10 06:23 PM, havegum wrote: Oh yeah, and I tried downloading it, but it was all blurry.
Do you have any kickass, awesome, unblurred .png version in your inventory?

I'll rework it at higher quality, that one was kind of crappy I admit...

damn I have been actually doing something art wise today.... although none of it is that great or useful.... but at least I'm working....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:36:32

300 Dpitrying to move quickly here Gumby.
the last one was only 72 so this should be a bit better
I have the Psd if someone wants that instead of the Jpeg

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:41:58

At 1/24/10 07:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
damn I have been actually doing something art wise today.... although none of it is that great or useful.... but at least I'm working....

you and me both, iv completely neglected my more important work, and yes a psd would be a bit more helpful i guess

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:55:18

At 1/24/10 07:41 PM, ashman112 wrote:
At 1/24/10 07:20 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
you and me both, iv completely neglected my more important work, and yes a psd would be a bit more helpful i guess

kk I put up the psd

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-01-24 19:57:43

At 1/24/10 06:23 PM, havegum wrote: Oh yeah, and I tried downloading it, but it was all blurry.

Oops, I didn't notice that it was zoomed out.
Forget all about the blurry part!

lol, I fail

BBS Signature