00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Works In Progress Advice Thread!

117,616 Views | 509 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 12:24:54

This thread is a simple thread to understand. In this thread, we post links to Works in Progress and give feedback on them.

Reasons for this thread?
1. Gives artists feedback before submitting something, allowing them to iron out small errors, and submit the best they can.
2. It eliminates the "WIP" portal entries... This is useful! Even though we have a system to revise, I'm sure that many people would resubmit, in order to gain more exposure. They will most likely delete the WIP, causing all reviewers that helped them create the final product to lose their contributions.
3. It allows users to prepare for submitting songs for other sites, not just NG. If a user is "too good" for NG, then they can post here, and ONLY be subject to the reviews of audio peers, who usually know what they are talking about, rather than the mass of newbies reviewing songs saying "i leik teh beatz."

Let me set some ground rules:
1. There shouldn't be any off-topic discussion. I'm making this thread to be more open-ended than other threads, but we shouldn't spam this place up, like the lounge. This is strictly a place to post WIPs and get feedback.
2. Feedback can either be posted here, or sent via PM. If posted here, users other than the original poster are allowed to respond, creating an environment where the song will be subject to multiple judgments, giving a clearer idea of what is actually the case about the piece.
3. Try not to post too many WIPs... I'm not going to set a clear limit, like 1 a week... I'm hoping that the users will be able to sort that out for themselves. I'm sure that a limit will be made if it is necessary.
4. If you post a WIP, you must "review" another WIP. "Review" meaning posting your opinion, what you liked, what you didn't like, etc. This should not be like a review for a finished piece! Remember that all pieces here are subject to improvement and change! Do not tell an artist that it is completely horrible! Find the good in it, and give advice on how to develop that!
5. Do not repost a WIP. I'm sure that this will happen anyways, but it really is no good. If the rules are followed, then you should get more than enough advice to help you finish the song. If it is completely unrecognizable, then it is acceptable to post it again, as new advice will be useful to you.
6. These are works in progress, so feel free to offer your help! You are allowed to send samples, and possibly even work with the artist to help get the song to its best state possible! In fact, this is encouraged. It allows users to learn tricks about the program, and learn the style of other users.
7. In your post, you must post a link to your song that is not in the AP. It is considered to be done if it is in the AP, and posting WIPs somewhat negates the point of this thread. The exception is a WIP for release, where you post the WIP here and get the finished track published. That is rare, though, so don't count on it.
8. If you are giving a "review," please keep it to one post, and make sure you quote the original poster of the WIP. That makes sure that the artist knows that it is HIS track being reviewed, and not another track.
9. Completed tracks that you want to get feedback on before submitting as a "finished track" are acceptable too, as they can be changed before "release" under the Creative Commons license here.
10. All tracks submitted to this thread are the intellectual property of the user submitting them, so you cannot just take a track and submit it as your own.

Well, I'm done here. If anyone has any more ideas for rules, then feel free to post them! Now, post some WIPs!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 14:09:04

This is what this forum needed, seriously. I'll start posting some of my WIP's really soon. Meanwhile, let's keep this thread alive.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 14:30:32

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3507/735 89_Walk.mp3

Something I've been working on. I haven't spent so much time on it yet, though, like 30 minutes or so. Continue or ditch? I'm new to this audio producing thing.

Suggestions on how to improve it and what to change would be great, too!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 14:34:10

At 11/24/07 02:30 PM, HatedMann wrote: Suggestions on how to improve it and what to change would be great, too!

Melody doesn't feel right... it seems a bit out of tune, or something like that.

You should put more emphasis on the drums.

Harmonization is good! Yes, it adds interest! Keep that, make sure it sounds good, though.

Reason right? Well, it wasn't bad if you are just starting out! Keep trying and fixing man! Get the melody sounding perfect, then just extend, add more stuff, etc!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 14:58:37

Started on a new one.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3507/754 48_OMG.mp3

Is the beginning good so far?

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 15:04:23

At 11/24/07 02:58 PM, HatedMann wrote: Started on a new one.

It is certainly interesting, I like the use of synths here. Try and get more than one instrument playing at a time, in harmony. I also think the drums need to be a bit louder, and more noticable. Overall, its a good start!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 15:11:11

Hey HatedMann thought I'd look at your wips. Sorry that it seems kinda harsh, but I don't know- they're both kinda weird and random.

At 11/24/07 02:30 PM, HatedMann wrote: http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3507/735 89_Walk.mp3

Something I've been working on. I haven't spent so much time on it yet, though, like 30 minutes or so. Continue or ditch? I'm new to this audio producing thing.

Suggestions on how to improve it and what to change would be great, too!

Both synths sound just... plain and un-interesting. You better get some fx on those, or just scratch that synth and replace it with something completely different. Some detuned square synth thing, or a bell sound, with just a little but of reverb, I'd imagine would sound much better. Melodies also sound very, like, awkward- Try some other rhythm than those constant 8th/16th notes, and a little bit of variation from a melody that generally sounds like a hardly edited note scale. Drum pattern is very basic too, add some groovy hats and you've got the rhythm going. Can't really find anything I liked too much about this work in progress... to be completely honest, I'd ditch that project. But what do I know, it's not my kind of music at all so you might be able to turn it into something great.

At 11/24/07 02:58 PM, HatedMann wrote: Started on a new one.

Sounds better to me this time, a little more detunin' on the saw synth would do good. And again, synths sound very basic, not so exciting. Drum pattern is more variated this time, which is definitively a good thing, but now it sounds kinda random with a woodblock thing. Get some hats!

A few synths clash in melodies at times too- I don't really see where it would be going, good luck with that anyway. Not too much to suggest about this one. I don't know how your finished pieces sound, if I knew it'd be easier to know how you make your songs and that way easier to suggest how to continue it. What program you using by the way? If you're using Reason I'd love to have a look at the project file and maybe try continuing it

General suggestion: Get a decent, about 4-8 bar or more melody so you have a good base to work off. Now it seems more like you put some synths together without really knowing what to do with it

-

Personally I don't exactly have any WIPs, but This little fella isn't entirely finished, the only thing is that I'd like to have it lengthened up quite a bit. So if anyone have an idea how I could get it up to say, 4 minutes without it being repetitive it would be greatly appreciated. And any other suggestions of course. Gotta make sure it's awesome before submitting ;D

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 15:20:07

At 11/24/07 03:11 PM, SBB wrote: Personally I don't exactly have any WIPs, but This little fella isn't entirely finished, the only thing is that I'd like to have it lengthened up quite a bit. So if anyone have an idea how I could get it up to say, 4 minutes without it being repetitive it would be greatly appreciated. And any other suggestions of course. Gotta make sure it's awesome before submitting ;D

Ok... werd modulating filter. Sounds ok, and the drums are nice... but they sound a bit rockish. I'm not sure if you want that, but you could easily add more texture and snap by a simple layer with a hiphop snare.

Ok, enough about the song itself. I think that the drums need to stop.. break it, reduce it down, really far. Once you've hit rock bottom, bring it back up in an epic climax. As it is, the song just kinda goes, and goes, and it needs a bit more variation. I can't complain, it sounds great, though!

Just work on some transitions to calmer and heavier portions. Flat songs are never fun to listen to. This has potential, though.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 15:42:35

At 11/24/07 03:11 PM, SBB wrote: Personally I don't exactly have any WIPs, but This little fella isn't entirely finished, the only thing is that I'd like to have it lengthened up quite a bit. So if anyone have an idea how I could get it up to say, 4 minutes without it being repetitive it would be greatly appreciated. And any other suggestions of course. Gotta make sure it's awesome before submitting ;D

Very nifty, very spacey sounding. I'd suggest a bit more realism in the piece instead of those drums (which sound excellent, by the way). Don't get me wrong; I love the synths. It's just that drums and a piano don't have enough body to me. How about a bass guitar, or an acoustic guitar? Considering that you use Reason, you can get a pretty real guitar/bass sound. Why not try it out? Might give you something to work on instead of just writing more for the piece, and it'll give you somewhere to progress to.

Sounds like the piece has a hilariously awesome amount of potential. Finish plz.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 16:01:41

I'm not sure if this would be worth finishing. "Scream". I like the sound of the reece superstring like thing I've got going on and everything, it's just that I'm not quite sure about how I'd make it sound pleasing to people's ears. The only arrangements and other instruments I'd plan to use are dull and boring.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 18:28:19

At 11/24/07 04:01 PM, ZENON wrote: I'm not sure if this would be worth finishing. "Scream". I like the sound of the reece superstring like thing I've got going on and everything, it's just that I'm not quite sure about how I'd make it sound pleasing to people's ears. The only arrangements and other instruments I'd plan to use are dull and boring.

Thumbs up ^_^b Sounds good, no reason to NOT finish it.

TRIED SOMETHING NEW! http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3607/152 9_Illusion.mp3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 19:33:57

I got a bit more serious this time. Tried psychedelic trance out, but I think I've failed a bit. But here I go, anyways! All instruments are made out from scratch excepts for the drum samples! Tell me if you like the beginning, and if I should continue on it. Thanks ^o^b

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3607/545 4_Psychedelic.mp3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-24 19:55:07

I did this track General Motorin about a hour any advice?

I know the mixing isn't amazing, its WIP

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 04:34:14

At 11/24/07 07:55 PM, Swirly-Helix wrote: I did this track General Motorin about a hour any advice?

That kick, snare and hat that comes in a bit later on the song, is that a full sampled loop?

So far, I think it sounds pretty good. It's still missing some catchy effects and BG sounds, but it's a WIP after all.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 04:39:40

At 11/25/07 04:34 AM, HatedMann wrote:
At 11/24/07 07:55 PM, Swirly-Helix wrote: I did this track General Motorin about a hour any advice?

That kick, snare and hat that comes in a bit later on the song, is that a full sampled loop?

So far, I think it sounds pretty good. It's still missing some catchy effects and BG sounds, but it's a WIP after all.

The first drums are loops, the second are layers individual samples, during the chorus there is another loop but it's not very audible.

ASK HOW

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 04:46:09

Yeah with the old sounding drum loop going it starts clipping quite a bit. I don't know what you were going for in this piece, but maybe try and get some more melodic synth lead than the way detuned square thing? it's really just a part of a song being looped, so you'd need some more diversity even though it's a short thing. Also considering it's a pretty slow song, you might want a bassier kick

btw read the thread rules thing, you're supposed to comment another wip when posting an own wip

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 05:07:24

At 11/25/07 04:46 AM, SBB wrote:

it sucked lol

btw read the thread rules thing, you're supposed to comment another wip when posting an own wip

Oh I can't read, write, or type. but I'll look out for that next time, and thanks for the cake.

ASK HOW

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 07:54:31

I like to spam WIP's! Why? Because I never finish any of my projects!

Tried psytrance again. I'm starting to grip reason! Thoughts and suggestions would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated.

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/3607/498 28_Enter_the_Trip.mp3

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 17:11:00

At 11/25/07 07:54 AM, HatedMann wrote: I like to spam WIP's! Why? Because I never finish any of my projects!

Tried psytrance again. I'm starting to grip reason! Thoughts and suggestions would be GREATLY, GREATLY appreciated.

Hrmm, I think that the main synth may be a little too distorted or something. To me, it doesn't sound like a trace style. I think maybe if you can also replace some of the hi-hats with a snappy snare or something, and maybe some "mean" sounding stuff. I think you could make a pretty cool dark industrial song from what you have there. Take a listen to Helix6 stuff and I think you might get inspired to make something like that. Oh, and don't forget about kick drums, I think you're lacking some right now!

I'm a bit vague because of a WIP giving me a headache. Speaking of which...
---------
Here's a stupid thing I'm working on.

It's a bit of a mess right now, but I plan on taking some stuff out, and adding a little more "fitting" stuff later on.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 18:00:37

At 11/25/07 05:11 PM, New-Milkman wrote:
At 11/25/07 07:54 AM, HatedMann wrote: I like to spam WIP's! Why? Because I never finish any of my projects!

Hrmm, I think that the main synth may be a little too distorted or something. To me, it doesn't sound like a trace style. I think maybe if you can also replace some of the hi-hats with a snappy snare or something, and maybe some "mean" sounding stuff. I think you could make a pretty cool dark industrial song from what you have there. Take a listen to Helix6 stuff and I think you might get inspired to make something like that. Oh, and don't forget about kick drums, I think you're lacking some right now!

I'm a bit vague because of a WIP giving me a headache. Speaking of which...
---------
Here's a stupid thing I'm working on.

It's a bit of a mess right now, but I plan on taking some stuff out, and adding a little more "fitting" stuff later on.

The kick drums were supposed to come in later on at the song, but I got K.Oed by Reason at that point. And it's not really supposed to sound trancy, more trippish. Kinda Goa-styled. That's why the main synth sounds so distorted and dark, but maybe you're right. Maybe I should pitch it one octave up.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-25 18:05:18

If there WERE to be considered Psytrance at all HatedMann, it would definitely be DarkPsy, and only barely so. The reason it isn't psytrancy is because you don't have any snares. You need to have a snappier snare and a more active hi-hat line. For starters.

You also need a more prevalent arpeggio melody. Right now I hear some background synth and some low melodic stuff, but if you REALLY wanna take this down the trance road you need some brighter sounds in there and some better pads. Nice layering though.

I think this has more potential, as the New Milkman said, as a Dark House or Industrial song.

Keep it up!

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-11-26 11:40:17

This... isn't... psytrance? God... damn... it. Thanks for the brief review, you both. I'm gonna start a new one and this time make sure it IS psytrance. But before that, I'm gonna study more psytrance.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-12-05 09:14:48

Seems like this thread died out. Time to revive it!

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/051207/5 4791_SomeShit.mp3

Please tell me how the melody is. If the instruments sound familiar, it's because I used Nexus.

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-12-05 14:44:39

Eurgh man, I'm not sure about this now :P
My 'Jazzstep' Song

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-12-06 01:41:26

At 12/5/07 02:44 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: Eurgh man, I'm not sure about this now :P
My 'Jazzstep' Song

That's pretty nice. Classic Jazz (sorta) feels, with drum and bass sounding beats.
mines (not sure about it)
WARNING, BAD QUALITY

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-12-29 13:27:47

I think this needs a bump.

or 2

BBS Signature

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2007-12-29 13:41:59

About finished, but I need to know what people think I should do with it
COMMENT IDDOTZ >:(

At 12/6/07 01:41 AM, flashmac wrote:
Eurgh man, I'm not sure about this now :P
My 'Jazzstep' Song

Those rhodes are praying for some fat phasers
Also you might want some acoustic jazzbass in that, in harmony with the sub or replacing the sub.
Also happy improvised jazzy piano plz

At 12/6/07 01:41 AM, flashmac wrote: mines (not sure about it)

Work with the harmony, it's one of the most off key songs I've heard- anyway. Use more structure, make a small part sound good with several instruments first instead of just slamming it in there

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-01-29 13:30:22

Ah, I just barely saw this, but I have a few WiP entries in the AP that I really would like words on. I hope you don't mind my linking them... (I'll use this thread from now on, I swear =D )

(WiP) Fractal_[Shattered+Mix] - Industrial

[WiP] Forgotten Triumph - Trance/Electronic

[WiP] Leaving You Behind - Rock/General

[WiP] Drown Me (Miles Apart) - Classical

[WiP] Contemplation - Glitch/DnB

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-02-09 21:59:50

New trance track i'm working on.. bad quality and short.. but need help =]

DjZombAid - WorkInProgress

Response to Works In Progress Advice Thread! 2008-02-09 22:30:15

At 2/9/08 09:59 PM, DjZombAid wrote: New trance track i'm working on.. bad quality and short.. but need help =]

DjZombAid - WorkInProgress

Let's see - first off, work on the EQ of that kick (it could be bassier), and get rid of the reverb, which causes unnecessary clutter with the bass.

Your lead is played at a somewhat low octave, have you experimented with others? Personally I think it would do better an octave up, though it would sound a bit more cliched... :\ Your choice. The melody that it plays can't seem to make up its mind between a major or minor key... try to stay consistent and avoid clashing notes.

Your bass synth is very overpowered and hard to hear - raise the volume, and EQ it better.

That's about it. :)

My WIP can be found here, structural advice (where I should go with this song from here) would be the most helpful but any kind is great. :D

BBS Signature