00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Boobnoob38 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writers Guild Strike

51,192 Views | 343 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 19:49:47

Congrats to the winners!

I miss my old sig )=

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:28:30

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:31:57

Eh, money is money. Just set it so they get the same pay for internet streaming as they do for television- just do that and I'd be satisfied.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:40:35

So what exactly is this "strike", if you had to sum it up in one sentence?

Well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

Follow me on twitter ;) | PM me whether you like me or hate me. 52 like | 17 hate

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:42:13

It's affecting heroes... that's enough to merit my support.

[swf url=http://img186.imageshack.us/img 186/9835/donthateme.swf width=248 height=161]

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:44:42

At 11/22/07 12:21 PM, loogiesquared wrote: 1st page post!

Oh gee wiz! You'll go down in history for this momentous event!

I miss my old sig )=

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:51:39

At 11/22/07 08:40 PM, Sk8erGirl13 wrote: So what exactly is this "strike", if you had to sum it up in one sentence?

Cheapskate businessmen with less artistic ability than a toilet seat screwing artists out of well-earned money.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:54:00

Screen Actors Guild? Wasnt it, Film Actors Guild?

lulz... 'FAG'.

wut. its an acronym.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:55:37

i have an idea: maybe we could have a collab with the writer's strike theme, but we could get it sponsored and then send the money we make to help support the picketers? i'm not sure really... but regardless, i like tom's idea of a collab.

We are the resistance, we are the underground, we are Newgrounds: home of the original cock joke.

The world takes everything too seriously.

This is not a signature.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 20:58:09

I'll support the strike by not submitting flashes and removing all my other flashes until the writers get their just deserts.

I'm doing pretty well right now.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 21:03:43

i hope the strike doesn't grow so strong as to shut down Newgrounds itself. that would suck.

Make me a sandwich, damnit.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 21:04:41

At 11/22/07 09:03 PM, hijackreaper wrote: i hope the strike doesn't grow so strong as to shut down Newgrounds itself. that would suck.

nothing is more powerfull than newgrounds!

lol

plus in order to shut down newgrounds there would have to be no good left in the world.

We are the resistance, we are the underground, we are Newgrounds: home of the original cock joke.

This is not a signature.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 21:39:00

back them up with tankmen, pico and hank!

Lol

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:02:21

i support your friend, good luck yo

PREPARE TO GET MOLLY WOPPED ex0rzhex0rzhex0rzhex0rzhex0rzhex0rz hex0rzhex0rzhex0rzlollollollollollo llollollollollollollollollollolloll ollollollollollollollollol

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:05:14

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Also good luck with the strike.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:21:19

I would like to support the writers, but I think they're on the losing end in this one. The studios have more money and time to waste than the writers who are making shit for a salary anyway. And besides-- if these writers aren't happy with the way the money is being distributed, I'm sure there are plenty of free-lance writers whoring themselves out to pay the next month's rent who will gladly scab out a living working for the studios on the DL.

The major point of the strike is for online content, which is clearly important to everyone who visits NG, but I'm looking at the slippery slope of this strike. I'm worried that if the writers do get what they want, studios will just have their lobbyists fight for stricter copyright laws to make them even more money to compensate for what they lost paying the writers for all the content they distribute on the internet. This will make it so that a small business like Newgrounds might have to pay a licensing fee just so their artists can use references from the studios.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? If the writers are successful, studios will just find a way to fill the empty space for the writers' increased salaries and pull some strings in Congress. Newgrounds makes money from ads. Why? Because the people paying for the ad spots know the traffic that flows through here. But why does this traffic flow through here? Because we get to see great entries like all those in the parodies section that make us laugh. Sure, parodies and spoofs aren't limited by copyright laws for now, but I'm pretty sure Disney, which makes well over $12 billion in ad revenue alone, has the clout in Washington to make this a reality within the next 10 years. So then Newgrounds will either have to pay a fee to allow its artists to use references to works made by outside sources or eradicate all these entries, leaving this a less desirable website for advertisers.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm all for the writers and want them to get their due. But I'm just worried about the long term effects that a movement of this magnitude can have.

Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drum...

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:26:40

At 11/22/07 12:20 PM, TehreTard wrote: To all the writers on strike:

Shut the fuck up and get back in the studio.

hell yeah!!

"Congratulations friend, if this image gives you an erection your name is Adolf Caligula Hitler McFrankencock!" -kinghellmetal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q7G 7rQ88qo

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:30:24

you do have a point back-door-baron, but i still think we shouls support the writers simply because it's the right thing to do. i mean if you made a flash and then someplace like ebaum'sworld.com steals it and makes a lot of money off of it,and you get nothing,wouldn't you be pissed off?

This is not a signature.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 22:59:44

STUPID STRIKE!!! i was all ready and set up to watch a new southpark yesterday (wednesday). But to my suprise i was watching TORRETS agian...Writers cmon get back to work ;(.....

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-22 23:55:20

We could not submit any work to newgrounds for a whole day to see what P-bot would do, just for fun :P

Wouldn't help anything, just might make P-bot explode at the fact that even spam flashes were not submitted.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 00:12:17

I have read many of the replies to this post, and they just sound completely ignorant of what is really going on. I really don't think that, 'fun' is what this 'contest' would need, when you consider what is really happening and how far spread it could become. This could not only change the way that our writers, playwrights, and others live and survive, but also the way we are entertained. Granted, not all the material from writers is great, probably more than half of it is crap, but that really isn't the issue here when you take an in depth look.

The biggest issue here is payment. While EVERYONE else involved in this 'creative' process has steadily received more and more money, the writers, playwrights, and such have not gained any increase in payment. You, yourself, would be quite angry and jealous when you find out that; not ONLY have you been jipped extra pay that could have helped pay your daughters medical bills or your sons education, but the person who did almost nothing gains a greater share than you, gets more recognition and even more job opportunities.

Like I said, not all material from these people is great..... some of it simply sucks ***, but we cant let people who deserve something not get it. I say that this contest should be more of an awareness campaign. Make a flash or two EXPLAINING, EDUCATING, and ENTERTAINING the audience about what is going on around them, and that it could possibly be an obstacle in their own future. THEN based on accuracy, entertainment value, and animation award prizes and praise.

~JM2

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 00:37:41

anybody else kinda want to take their jobs? I mean...I hear what they're saying, but I'm a college student, so I'd probably work for less than they are making, which will be less than they're asking...and I'd flip my shit :p

But I do understand. Without the writer's the actors would have nothing. It's the delivery that we love about our actors, but the jokes come from the writers. That's why I want to have my own animated TV show and do all of it :) Voice acting, directing, and writing :)

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 00:51:09

happy Thanksgiving all. this strike is like the strike they showed in south park with the musicians strike. its gonna die down soon.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 01:04:28

At 11/22/07 12:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can best show our support to the writers?

A writing competition?

Give potentials certain guidelines to follow, and a minimum of content, and they all have to create a story of their own based on the guidelines.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 01:10:06

At 11/22/07 12:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: Take a moment to read about the strike and get an understanding of what the writers are fighting for. Newgrounds is a highly creative community (2/3rds of you consider yourselves creators rather than mere consumers, according to our last poll), so these are issues that could impact many future careers.

hmm, what they're asking for isn't to unreasonable. Just pay the damn writers and get back to work already.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 01:14:06

I KNEW Newgrounds was going to get and/or be involved with this event somehow.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 01:49:53

Just give us our TV back!

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 02:04:52

Hehehe, SAG. No-one else finds that funny?

Hm, as for the competition... The competition could simply be what you have written, create a flash movie which supports the writers. One could create something funny with ridiculously exaggerated consequences of no movies being made. Basically the contest should be fairly broad in that sense, I think NG's artists will find a way to make it funny, put more faith in us, Tom!

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 02:27:25

Wow, I take time off for Thanksgiving, and this thread is 6 pages long already! That must be a good sign many of you are interested in the Writers Guild Strike :)

Thank you Tom, for posting this so quickly! I am still in post-turkey coma, but I'll try to make time to read over the posts and see your ideas. One thing I want to correct though:
Those of you who keep saying, I'll just watch reality TV instead... well, I hate to break it to you all, but even reality TV hires WGA writers. Every time a TV host asks a question to the contestants or narrates anything? A WGA writer wrote that. Who thought of the questions, competitions and everything the reality TV show host says? WGA writers. Ditto game shows and talk show monologues. That's showbiz, gang.

If you want some ideas, go to www.unitedhollywood.com and check out some of their live strike footage. United Hollywood is the campaign headquarters of the WGA strike - so they have the official online petition there too. Or check out the Pencils2MediaMoguls campaign. Maybe make some vids to promote that?

If you are asking, 'What's This Strike All About Anyway? I want my Shows back...' then watch these YouTube vides from their official site (WGAamerica) for a 3 minute explanation.

*Why We Fight
A 3 min video explanation made by the WGA writers to explain the strike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ55Ir2jC xk

*Who Are They Lying To?
The WGA question big media and ask who are they lying to -- the writers or their stockholders.
http://www.youtube.com/v/RjGbHHtbZP0&rel =1

I'm going to post some links later that may give you all ideas too. Meanwhile, those of you in the US, I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. And everyone else, I'm looking forward to your flashes :) Bye

Writers Guild Strike

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-23 02:32:13

Although getting more money, if a job well done is good, some people shouldn't get payed for the crap that they put into TV circulation. I don't think I am either for or against the strike. I don't really watch TV any more. Although I am interested in how long this will last, because I wonder what the writers are going to do for money since the guild will only pay for so much till the money runs dry.
Really I'm more wondering about the consequences on both sides and how much both sides will suffer.

I know that sounds horrible... But I can't help but think this way.