00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writers Guild Strike

51,077 Views | 343 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 03:44:50

At 11/25/07 11:44 PM, LsDUDIE wrote: i say........WE TIP SOMETHING OVER!!!!!!!!

now what?

GET THE LIFE GURAD!!!!!!!!!!!

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 04:09:13

My dad is in the movie business and he's out of work till this piece of shit strike is over. More power to them, but they need to buck up and get going before my family goes poor..

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 08:18:37

yeah

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 09:36:39

At 11/25/07 08:25 PM, ThisAliasIsCrappy wrote: I am not really effected as I watch reality T.V. Lolz!

Nope. You're still affected.
LULZ

see? I used rule 10.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 10:09:40

At 11/26/07 09:36 AM, RigAudio wrote:
see? I used rule 10.

Better explain that one for the ignorant eh

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 10:14:52

At 11/25/07 09:29 PM, donthaveaname wrote:
At 11/25/07 07:26 PM, Komadori1975 wrote: It would be interesting to see if this strike has a creative side effect to it. A writer not writing is like an artist not painting/sculpting/etc. Eventually, they will succumb to their muse-- perhaps returning to more traditional forms of literature. Ought to be interesting.
No, "artists" are generally in it for the art and not for the money. The fact that these people are picketing for more money makes them not artists in my mind. Plus, have you watched any TV recently? You could not possibly call these people "artists."

I beg to differ. Sure, some tv writing stinks, I'll give you that... but comedy writing takes talent. Not everyone can deliver wit -day after day- in the case of late night shows or political satire shows. But a good many of the writers who are there ARE there because they can crank out their work to the high demands of a Hollywood timeframe. Also, there are some rare gems, like Heroes, out there.

I'm sure some would say the same if there was a creative team strike at Marvel or D.C. I think the word 'strike' has become equated to 'greed' and in this case, it's just not so. The actors, I believe, DO get their royalties from internet sales, and they make gobs more money than the writers do. Do you really think that is fair?

After taking a creative writing course, I have a greater appreciation for writers. Writers do not become writers to make gobs of money. If that was their goal, they'd be sports athletes. :P

Think about it. For the parent who wants their child to succeed in a career, and make enough money to take care of them in their old age, hearing that the child wants to be, oh, an artist or a writer (throw in acting, too; it has about as much of a gulf between the majority at a low income and the few at the top), it worries the parents. Doctors, lawyers, athletes... oh, wait, add programmers in, too, now-- that's what most parents who are hopeful for specific careers for their children are looking for!

If that doesn't make you stop and think, please read this (and keep in mind the COL in California, because it does factor in...):

While some might spout that Hollywood writers complaining about pay is a high-class problem, the strike's impact extends far beyond the red carpet. For starters, most screenwriters are middle-class; they are not the A-List, superstar lot of content creators like Rhimes; Dick Wolf, of the Law & Order franchise; David E. Kelly, creator of Boston Legal, The Practice; or J.J. Abrams, creator of Lost. Minority writers, in particular, have a tough time getting employment at all and are underrepresented in the best of times. And when they do get work, they are paid less than white writers. According to a 2007 WGA study conducted by UCLA professor of sociology, Darnell Hunt, the average income for minority screenwriters in 2005 was $66,666 compared to $77,577 for whites. Further, it is not uncommon for writers to go years without working for long periods of time. They often live on the residuals from past work, teaching jobs, temping, mom and dad-you name it. This makes their fight for their fair piece of the residual pie that much more urgent and convincing.

- http://www.blackenterprise.com/cms/exclu sivesopen.aspx?id=3774 :

These aren't people with wads of bills pouring out their backsides. ._.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 10:37:27

What many people don't realize about the strike is how exactly it's currently affecting the media. Yes it started with TV shows since they are the ones that are immediately affected by the loss of writers. The longer the strike continues the more and more we'll start to notice it and the more support the strikers will gain. Right now we're not seeing movies being effected too much, but that's simply because most of the movies currently in production have already had the scripts finalized and are currently shooting. If the strike continues it won't be long before we'll see movies affected. It is also implausible to assume that there will be more writers to replace the ones that are on strike, many of budding writers will be pressured to join into the union or similar unions for financial protection (such as rights to medical benefits, etc) since it's highly unlikely the Television/film/play companies provide the writers any real voice. I've heard some of Broadway actor's unions have joined the strike as well which could effectively shut down Broadway. And finally, the only television shows that are pretty much unaffected by the strike are news programs, game shows, and reality tv shows. Isn't our nation stupid enough already? Do we really want more reality tv shows? I am all for this strike.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 11:08:17

At 11/25/07 01:23 PM, rtil wrote: um, how was the original idea an insult to newgrounds?

And lord knows if you give newgrounds members a serious topic they usually turn it into a complete joke. Then again, most serious animations make me laugh on this site.

now who's the presumptuous one?

At 11/26/07 11:02 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/25/07 01:23 PM, rtil wrote: I wasn't aware nobody cared about "some union trying to milk the system".

any extra money the writers make will go back into the union, thought that was obvious enough.

The producers obviously did, they've been taking pennies out of tickets for years to pay for this because they knew it was going to happen. It's ridiculous how much more money the CEO's make compared to all of those people on strike combined. I think they're striking for a good cause against a corrupt industry. If somebody does a big parody of it all, it should be in support of the strike.

then whatever dude, do it, and quit yer bitchin.
Making a serious flash if you want to, but dont try and demean NG , if they find it boring.

Your remarks on how beneath us all of us are to your vision, is quit frankly getting tiresome.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 11:48:07

At 11/26/07 11:08 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/25/07 01:23 PM, rtil wrote: um, how was the original idea an insult to newgrounds?
And lord knows if you give newgrounds members a serious topic they usually turn it into a complete joke. Then again, most serious animations make me laugh on this site.

now who's the presumptuous one?

At 11/26/07 11:02 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/25/07 01:23 PM, rtil wrote: I wasn't aware nobody cared about "some union trying to milk the system".
any extra money the writers make will go back into the union, thought that was obvious enough.

The producers obviously did, they've been taking pennies out of tickets for years to pay for this because they knew it was going to happen. It's ridiculous how much more money the CEO's make compared to all of those people on strike combined. I think they're striking for a good cause against a corrupt industry. If somebody does a big parody of it all, it should be in support of the strike.
then whatever dude, do it, and quit yer bitchin.
Making a serious flash if you want to, but dont try and demean NG , if they find it boring.

Your remarks on how beneath us all of us are to your vision, is quit frankly getting tiresome.

Christ man why the cold shoulder all of the sudden? You're turning molehill into a mountain. I was not insulting all of newgrounds when I said that. What I meant is that a newgrounds animator is typically really good at taking something that is meant to be serious and turning it into a joke. What that means is that they can take something sad or serious and make it funny. I have done that in several of my cartoons. How on earth is that insulting? It's just another writing tactic, and it takes just as much skill as the next one.

Stop trying to twist my words and make it sound like I'm trying to put down all of you. It was just a god damn idea, and I don't know why you're acting this way towards me. Sorry for ever bothering to reply. I'll be sure to never put in my input on a collab idea again, for your sake.

And if you want to give me a bad name, at least do it behind my back.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 12:21:10

At 11/22/07 12:20 PM, TheAmateurAnimator wrote: Maybe we can bring our tank to back up the writers. Nobody's going to cross the picket line if there's a fucking tank in the way.

dude, i agree. We should get alien hominid,the tank, hank from madness,and all the ppl here on newgrounds to support the strike. I'd give up if there lots of guns and aliens trying to bite my head off!

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 12:28:46

Stop trying to twist my words and make it sound like I'm trying to put down all of you. It was just a god damn idea, and I don't know why you're acting this way towards me. Sorry for ever bothering to reply. I'll be sure to never put in my input on a collab idea again, for your sake.

Lol you should just stop arguing. heh strikes are for sissies riots are better!!!! Hehehe a lot of quotes, so start a riot

The hunting game isnt fun if youre the one being hunted

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 12:31:42

At 11/26/07 11:48 AM, rtil wrote:
Christ man why the cold shoulder all of the sudden? You're turning molehill into a mountain. I was not insulting all of newgrounds when I said that. What I meant is that a newgrounds animator is typically really good at taking something that is meant to be serious and turning it into a joke. What that means is that they can take something sad or serious and make it funny. I have done that in several of my cartoons. How on earth is that insulting? It's just another writing tactic, and it takes just as much skill as the next one.

if you sincerely feel that way, and weren't being a pompous prick, then ok fine, I take it back.
considering that you made a name for yourself insulting other NG'ers work I dont think you did,
but fine, for the benefit of doubt, ill take just as the way you stated above.

whats with the emo trip here? No one was shooting down your idea, just how you presented it.
but since you insist you weren't being a douchebag, then fine I apologize. lets move on.

not my style, its in your face or not at all.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 12:36:13

I just noticed this topic in NG news today.
I have already posted on a similar topic in the Politics section.
I work in the Entertainment Industry in Canada. I work in both the Motion picture side of the Industry & I work in the Stage side as well. I am a member of the I.A.T.S.E. in Canada, on the East Coast.
Although I do believe that the writers should be paid a decent return for their hard work & creativity.
I find the actions of the Executive Members of the Writers Guild to be inept.

The Writers Guild were schedualed to begin talks with the Producers in January 2007.
Patric Verrone ,President of the Writers Guild of America cancelled the meetings & the Executive began planning a strike action. In my opinion they would have better served the interests of the membership (& the Motion Picture Community itself) by attempting to broker a deal with the Producers. Instead of doing this , David Young an Executive Director , who was written up in a Times article recently was instrumental in useing almost 10 months to plan a strike !

W.T.F ! ! ! exactly what does this gain the writers ?
Can anyone give me a reason that they could not have met and started the process of negotiation & for the Writers to put their terms on the table, they deliberatly let almost 10 months pass before making a half hearted attempt just before the contract expired.

In my union experience a strike action is what is used as a last resort, when no deal can be worked out & neither side are willing to negotiate further.
The Writers Executive, instead decided to wait until the contract expired & then called a strike vote & the rest is history.

I believe proper proceedure should have been followed, that doesn't mean that they still wouldn't have ended up on strike. But the Executive of the Writers Guild would then have had a much more support from all of the rest of us ( in the other Unions & Guilds) who are also being affected.

Another point that is also very disturbing about this & the effect its having on the industry as a whole, is in June 2008 the S.A.G. (Screen Actors Guild ) contract expires & they are not in negotiations & they have publicly stated they want to go out on strike as well, so much for negotiation & caring about the what this is going to do to every rank & file person no matter what union or guild you may be a part of.

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 13:48:18

At 11/26/07 12:31 PM, MindChamber wrote:
if you sincerely feel that way, and weren't being a pompous prick, then ok fine, I take it back.
considering that you made a name for yourself insulting other NG'ers work I dont think you did,
but fine, for the benefit of doubt, ill take just as the way you stated above.

whats with the emo trip here? No one was shooting down your idea, just how you presented it.
but since you insist you weren't being a douchebag, then fine I apologize. lets move on.

not my style, its in your face or not at all.

Yeah I understand that. I apologize, too. It all probably came off wrong. It's so much harder to communicate on a forum than in real life, lmao. I would never be outright rude to someone off the bat, especially someone I know and respect as an animator like yourself.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 14:25:43

tom fulp:

I've been talking to Xeneri recently about the Writers Guild Strike and what we can do to show our support. Xeneri is part of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and has been picketing with the writers in Hollywood to show her support.
Take a moment to read about the strike and get an understanding of what the writers are fighting for. Newgrounds is a highly creative community (2/3rds of you consider yourselves creators rather than mere consumers, according to our last poll), so these are issues that could impact many future careers.

really what a hypocrit tom is didnt you make fun of metallica for suing napster cause they were getting cheated out of money hmm? and impacted future careers? what about strugeling music artists? who need a band like metallica to take on the big names?

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 15:53:46

I don't know if anyone else has posted this - but I found out about this today

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

This is a blog straight from the frontlines of the strike, on the right side of the page you can "Send a box of pencils" to the media conglomerates to show support of the writers/your favorite shows. You can donate as little as $1 and do it quickly with PayPal. It maybe a silent protest, but what if as a result of your sending pencils a media CEO decided to do something which ended the strike!

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 16:02:33

At 11/26/07 03:53 PM, KarlD wrote: I don't know if anyone else has posted this - but I found out about this today

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

This is a blog straight from the frontlines of the strike, on the right side of the page you can "Send a box of pencils" to the media conglomerates to show support of the writers/your favorite shows. You can donate as little as $1 and do it quickly with PayPal. It maybe a silent protest, but what if as a result of your sending pencils a media CEO decided to do something which ended the strike!

I don't know why people make a big deal about the strike. Maybe less T.V. will make people want to exercise instead of being married to a screen.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 16:34:18

Do the writers deserve money from internet sales? Of course. If something you created is being sold, you should be paid for it. That's simply common sense. The writers should keep this strike up for as long as they have to. Last time it took 5 months, and even if it takes double that this time, they need to keep strong. Here's hoping for a WGA victory.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 17:16:31

At 11/25/07 01:18 AM, rtil wrote:
and I think you misinterpreting Toms proposal, in the end of it all he and anyone else involved wants to have fun, and make fun of the situation. because no one is here to help change the world. Just laugh at it.
so yeah a good dick Joke is perfect idea for this situation. that or making video game parody flashs that parody flashers that make video game parodys. In the in its what ever makes your dick wet that matters.
that's...interesting. i never thought the strike was funny so that didn't cross my mind.

To pipe in here... Yes, I want people to have FUN with the project - simply because I don't imagine a lot of people getting behind something that isn't fun to make. But no, I don't mean for the project to be making fun of the strike... I want NG to show its support, hopefully in a way that is tasteful enough for us to be proud of (although depicting a bunch of TV shows resorting to dick jokes WOULD be funny), while also being fun enough that people actually get involved, rather than just say "Oh great idea!" and not do anything. And I was smiling in my front page icon because that is one of the random pictures of me that appears next to my posts.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 17:28:49

At 11/26/07 04:02 PM, nightraider89 wrote:
I don't know why people make a big deal about the strike. Maybe less T.V. will make people want to exercise instead of being married to a screen.

Tough talk from someone who just posted to an internet forum.

I'm not one to make a big deal about much of anything - additionally, I'm not a big fan of TV and I really don't buy in to the "celebrity culture". I'm just saying - I do like my movies, and chances are if writers don't get paid enough they're going to stop writing them. $2 for a box of pencils delivered to a media executive is a pretty small price to pay to uphold another American's right to do what makes them happy at a fair price.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 19:23:35

My close friend's dad is a producer who used to work for Lions Gate studios in Vancouver, BC (where I live) and works for Crescent entertainment now. He has a LOT of producer credits, so he definitely knows his stuff.

Anyways, I had a short conversation with him about the WG strike. He pointed out that the WG is often very quick to strike because the impact their job action has on the public can take weeks or months before people are actually effected. Also, this strike has some heavy consequences for Canadian writers (who belong to the WG too). Rising costs in Vancouver (actually, all of Canada) and a very weak US dollar have meant a serious decline for our local film/television industry. Why shoot in beautiful British Columbia when it has become cheaper to do it in the states? Now think about what that means to the Canadian writers. On top of an already suffering local market, they are pulled into the strike whether they like it or not. For many struggling writers it can be extremely difficult to tough out this job action. If you are one of the fat cat writers who has already raked in the dough it doesn't matter if you hold out for several months trying to score a better deal, you can just last on whatever you have banked. But if you are living paycheck to paycheck, this can be a very difficult period.

All that being said, the writers are obviously justified. There is a LOT of money to be made in film and television, and writers are due their share of those profits. The fact that the writers are missing out on DVD royalties is total garbage. It's a sign of the guild failing to keep up with techological changes which impact the nature of their business.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 21:08:00

I'm gonna miss my movies.

Kinda legit.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-26 22:51:25

It would seem that we should give the WG any support we can, whether it be through NG or in other polls/petitions. A good bit of the movies/tv shows we enjoy are written by members of this Union, and while some may disagree, I would say it isn't "fair" for them to make way less off of the movies, than the actors who simply play it out.

I'm not speaking from personal experience here, only from what I have read, and heard about from other sources. There is a large numbers of users on NG and other parts of the web, if anything CAN be done, why not do so? Beyond that, any type of flash you submit could end up showing your work to somebody important, and could give you a break somewhere. So whether or not you CAN cause any form of change, would it really hurt so much to try it?

Everything you see is real..None of it exists..

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 01:21:46

All these writers are doing is continuing to shrink the number of people employed as writers to protect their jobs from competition. More expensive writers = less writers will be hired = lower competition.

And they are threatening the scab writers who dont want to be apart of their frickin union... AS USUAL with unions.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 05:14:20

At 11/22/07 12:20 PM, TheAmateurAnimator wrote: Maybe we can bring our tank to back up the writers. Nobody's going to cross the picket line if there's a fucking tank in the way.

or chinese kids..(do you get the history) what was that called again..

I'm the only pretty boy on NewGrounds!

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 11:52:36

I just read that the strike has severely pushed back the release date of Adam Sandler's next movie in which he plays an Israeli secret agent who fakes his own death to open a hair salon in NYC, co-starring Rob Schneider, Mariah Carey, and Henry "The Fonz" Winkler.
At least the strike has produced SOME possitive effects.

For those of you who think I made this up, I swear, no bull s**t.
I'm as horrified as you are.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 12:29:38

At 11/26/07 10:14 AM, Komadori1975 wrote: Stuff

Yea, racism always exists in almost all industries. Why? They have to hire non-white employees, and they know they can't say prejudicial things against them, so all they can do is pay them less, and feel happy about that.
Trust me, that's the story with why they get paid less.

Far away, across the field, the tolling of the iron bell

Calls the faithful to their knees, to hear the softly spoken magic spells.......

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 13:37:57

I understand where the writers are coming from and I'd be pissed too, on the other hand, I had a one time only chance to see Les Miserables in New York City (On Broadway for christ sakes!) and I missed my chance because of the strike. I don't find that fair. So I'm conflicted.

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 16:02:26

We just need a fucking grenade.

And i don't think Xeneri is exactly an unbias party.....

Dude dude dude dude dude.........penis

Response to Writers Guild Strike 2007-11-27 16:08:33

i just wanna watch new eppisodes of the office