00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mexicano2002 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Coaly's art thread

5,595 Views | 70 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 02:15:49

Well all the cool kids are doing it. I might not post very much, I might post plenty, w/e.

For my first post, it's nothing special, impressive, or mind blowing, but I like the point it brings.

It's just a scribble drawing of a face, it's certainly not special, the only thing it shows is that I have a basic understanding of the proportions of a face, and where everything goes, which someone might argue isn't even that good. But when I look at it, and I assume when you look at it, I get the picture, I fill in the detail, I make the scribbles into pupils and facial marks and lips and ears and hair, and I see a much better drawing of a face then what is really there. It's always fascinating to me how much the human mind can fill in and draw from the simplest and sloppiest of images.

I think it also represents a good point about drawing, if you know what you want to draw and can visualize it, the more you scribble the more you'll start to see it, you're mind will direct your hand to scribble more in certain areas so that it looks more like what it's supposed to be, cool. Of course study, practice, and understanding of how things are put together will eliminate the need to scribble and redraw before you reach the image you want, or the line you want.

Just something to think about, hope i was clear enough.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 02:28:06

That looks sweet! When I was doing art class I always scribbled (sketched is probably a better word) my faces, it really helps you to get a good understanding of everything.

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 02:46:24

nothing too special. anatomy looks good, and the style is ok.
:maybe make some more details?

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 12:00:55

At 9/1/07 02:15 AM, Coaly wrote: It's just a scribble drawing of a face, it's certainly not special, the only thing it shows is that I have a basic understanding of the proportions of a face, and where everything goes, which someone might argue isn't even that good. But when I look at it, and I assume when you look at it, I get the picture, I fill in the detail...
At 9/1/07 02:46 AM, Dookiemaister wrote: nothing too special. anatomy looks good, and the style is ok.
maybe make some more details?

Did you even read my fucking post? The "style" would be minimalism if you want to label it, which I don't, I think I said twice specifically that it was not "special," and the point is that you fill in the detail while you're looking at it, because the human mind makes connections which allows you to see a face, instead of a bunch of scribbles, which I think is pretty cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 13:07:44

At 9/1/07 01:01 PM, fetusdoctor wrote: "Scribble" drawing or as some people know it "gesture" drawing

yea gesture drawing, that is what I was trying to say : )

Got any finished drawings though?

Well, not really, I started this thread so I could do stuff and post it, as an extra incentive I suppose. I did just do a new user pic, It was supposed to be like the staff pics, it's somewhat like them, but not that much, It sort of looks like me, I think.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 14:26:49

Trying something new with the coloring, started with darkest color, filled it in, then went lighter and lighter. Did a sketch and then the drawing. Messed up on the shirt a little.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 15:26:57

At 9/1/07 02:26 PM, Coaly wrote: Trying something new with the coloring, started with darkest color, filled it in, then went lighter and lighter. Did a sketch and then the drawing. Messed up on the shirt a little.

I like that coloring technique and I like the concept of the first post.

It reminds me of how I usually draw things but in my case my proportions are usually off because of it. But it's still fun nonetheless to see the more defined detail just by visualizing it among scribbly lines :D

I also like the roundness of the colored picture's head

XD

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-01 15:41:54

i really like the first face.

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-02 01:59:51

Just a drawing, tried to add more detail, think more about folds and weight of clothing, which probably is why the suit is a few sizes big for the guy. And then his hand holding the sword is huge, but oh well, I like it that way. Comments and crits would make me less bored, and more happy.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-02 06:43:49

At 9/2/07 01:59 AM, Coaly wrote: Just a drawing, tried to add more detail, think more about folds and weight of clothing, which probably is why the suit is a few sizes big for the guy. And then his hand holding the sword is huge, but oh well, I like it that way. Comments and crits would make me less bored, and more happy.

I like this one, well done :)

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 15:55:46

So I drew myself as a staff member, with bursting muscles. I'm pretty happy with it. Two points, I know the six pack is a little weird being so high, but I'll just say I have a 10 pack and that pen is my tablet pen.

Comments would boost my confidence and make me happy, <3

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 15:57:52

not a noob

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 17:25:16

At 9/12/07 03:57 PM, Coaly wrote: Muscle filled guy

That looks really painful. But I dig.

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 21:07:46

comment

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 21:49:15

trying new coloring techniques

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-12 23:51:49

Those last two are great. I love the proportions and color, especially on the purple one, awesome.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-13 10:42:26

At 9/12/07 09:49 PM, Coaly wrote: trying new coloring techniques

awesome colouring, big teeth
this pic wins an award

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-14 21:23:33

More practice.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-14 21:28:36

At 9/14/07 09:23 PM, Coaly wrote: More practice.

Best so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-15 00:30:15

Relax.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-15 01:27:11

More practice, I don't know about this one, didn't turn out so well but it's still good practice. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-17 16:16:18

More practice.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-20 15:39:51

More?

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 01:29:43

I suppose it's a metaphor, I didn't put much thought into it though. Practice foreshortening.

Coaly's art thread

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 01:36:03

At 9/30/07 01:29 AM, Coaly wrote: I suppose it's a metaphor, I didn't put much thought into it though. Practice foreshortening.

You sure like to practice a lot. They end up better than a majority of my stuff.
How long is the average "practice"?

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 01:44:47

At 9/30/07 01:36 AM, misterdog wrote:
At 9/30/07 01:29 AM, Coaly wrote: I suppose it's a metaphor, I didn't put much thought into it though. Practice foreshortening.
You sure like to practice a lot. They end up better than a majority of my stuff.
How long is the average "practice"?

Thanks, um...well I guess it takes about half an hour to an hour...I dunno, somewhere vaguely around an hour...if that helps at all. I usually sketch, redraw, color, color, color. And I like your stuff btw, those animations are nice, and you're style is smooth.

Swf of the last one
because it's quality was for some reason shitty...

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 20:50:41

Wow, I really like this one, was was the metaphor supposed to be?

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 21:48:47

At 9/15/07 01:27 AM, Coaly wrote: More practice, I don't know about this one, didn't turn out so well but it's still good practice. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

The problem is that the mouth and nose are facing a seperate direction from the rest and generally look removed from the drawing. Did you draw them first? Also i know you know to do this but that could have been prevented just by making a oval sketch and putting axis on it. you probbaly knew this already but w/e. nice thread.

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 21:54:31

At 9/30/07 09:48 PM, elmicah wrote: The problem is that the mouth and nose are facing a seperate direction from the rest and generally look removed from the drawing. Did you draw them first? Also i know you know to do this but that could have been prevented just by making a oval sketch and putting axis on it. you probbaly knew this already but w/e. nice thread.

Yea I see what you mean, you're right, and I think I did draw the mouth first, good looking out. Thanks.

I dunno what the metaphor is.

BBS Signature

Response to Coaly's art thread 2007-09-30 22:00:59

This one is by far my faveorite from you. Not bad art at times. Some stuff is kinda bland . But some is the rockzor of the cockzor.