00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PetrifiedPancake just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Writers Club

131,363 Views | 2,267 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-12 10:28:13

Sorry I've been gone, but to be fair I haven't been on NG. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with story formatting techniques, like this one for example, in between scenes, you put a divider like this:

story story story-----------------------------------
----------------------------------------
--------------------------
------------------------------

(scene switches to a dif. char.)************

story story story----------------------------

I can really use help on this, I'm not good at formatting and will appreciate any advice I can get.

Derp.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-14 05:14:03

Time to shamelessly plug my 'skills', if that's what you want to call them.

Into the Darkness is a short story (prologue) about a Welshman that becomes a werewolf. All of the issues with assuming that role and how to cope with normal life around it.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-14 13:06:17

I wrote a program that scans text then generates a story based off the style of writing, so I guess I kinda wrote this

It's The odyssey + tucker max "I hope they serve beer in hell" + a cave story FAQ + a pokemon fanfic

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/140509/4 7130_pokemaxcaveodyssey.txt

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-14 13:05:38

I wrote a program that scans text then generates a story based off the style of writing, so I guess I kinda wrote this

It's The odyssey + tucker max "I hope they serve beer in hell" + a cave story FAQ + a pokemon fanfic

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/140509/4 7130_pokemaxcaveodyssey.txt

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-15 23:01:40

At 5/12/09 10:28 AM, zbox101 wrote: I can really use help on this, I'm not good at formatting and will appreciate any advice I can get.

Well, that depends. In a story on paper, just throw a few dashes in the center of the page, something like this:

Blah Blah Blah

--------

Blah Blah Blah

But for a Newgrounds post, it's impossible to do that well without a lot of trial and error, just throw a few dashes at the far left.

Blah Blah Blah

-----

Blah Blah Blah

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-16 10:43:52

I've been writing since I started school.
Flash stories? Uhm... none?
Real life stories: probably 100 unfinished ones and about 10 finished ones.
I'm working on a novel sort of thing right now called Fablewood.
My name is Cole... alll you need to know

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-17 21:45:12

Time Writing: 2 years, essentially. Wrote a lot for about one year, and then took a break. I now have been back on writing for about a year now.
Flash Stories Written: None
Real Stories Written: 3 recently, but they are all still unfinished.
Name: Joey

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-18 09:21:27

Hey guys, I'd be grateful if you'd check out my new World of Darkness Fanfic and let me know what you think.

I've been writing for some time now, but this one's come together over about 5 months of inspired gameplay with a few friends of a Monday night.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-20 22:06:10

Well, brand new here, to this club I mean. Hopefully I'm not bursting in mid conversation or something. Anyway.
Been writing, oh I say about 3 years now.
I don't have any credentials for flash.
I do however have accounts on both fictionpress and adultfanfiction for my original fiction stories or "real life" as I suppose they are being called here. There isn't too much complete because I've been fairly busy the last two years, but there are plenty of ideas bouncing around in my head here. The links for those sites are in my blogs. You can always just check my latest one.
Name's Jackie, hope that this will be a good place to learn something.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-21 22:27:39

Hey guiz! Just thought I would share this little bit with you. Being the big fat nerd that I am, I put all this work into a thread on a Role Playing forum. I also made this little dude :3

Name: Julius Roth
Appearance: Caucasian, "5'11. Likes button ups, even when just lying around the house. Very healthy looking. Athletic. Long black hair. Dazzling green eyes.
Power: Julius has the ability to heal himself as well as others with the use of rapid cell regeneration. On the flipside, he can use that same power to kill by creating deadly cancerous tumors in a matter of seconds. On his best day, he can regrow a missing limb, although that would take a massive amount of strength and he would probably be unable to do anything afterward, if he didn't pass out from exhaustion. He can only heal others or kill enemies if he's touching what he want's to heal or destroy.
Weapons: His hands.
Personality: Quiet and controlled, Julius spends most of his time tending the small garden in his apartment. He rarely swears, and dislikes conflict. Values the safety of others far beyond his own.
History: Julius had always wished to be a doctor. He knew his dream even before he even understood what a doctor was. Helping others was always his top priority, even when he was in no position to do so.

He was heartbroken when his mother told him that he couldn't follow the path that he so badly wanted. If anyone ever found out about his power, they would lock him away and he would become their guinea pig, she explained. He became angry. He locked himself up in his room and didn't speak to anyone for a month. He wasn't angry at his mother. He was angry at himself. Why did he have to be who he was? Why did he have to have his ability? Why couldn't he just be normal? His beautiful gift turned into a tormenting curse. He wanted to die. He tried to, time and time again, but his body just wouldn't let him end it. He was confused. He had to consciously activate his power. He knew this. How was it working on it's own? And then, one night, lying in bed, he realized it wasn't. He realized he WAS healing himself. He didn't want to die! He still had so much to live for. Even if he couldn't work in a hospital, he could still help people. He could still save lives!

That day, he made a vow. He would become a hero, even if there were people who wouldn't accept him. He would help people as long as there were a person on the planet that needed help.

It was a cold afternoon in the middle of winter years later, and he and his girlfriend at the time were in a coffee shop sitting together, talking. While she ordered two more coffees, he left to go use the restroom. As he was washing his hands, he heard shouts from outside. He quickly turned off the sink and listened. The place was being robbed. He sliped out of the bathroom quietly and made his way to a wall so he could get a better picture of what was happening. There were two people, both of them armed. One was going around collecting valuables while the other kept watch. As he slunk back into the bathroom, something told him that he should intervene. He stood there, puzzled on what he should do. Just then he heard a scream. It was his girlfriend's voice.

"Get off me you ****ing tweaker!" she screamed. Julius sped back to see what was happening. One of them was wrestling with Andrea to get her purse. He finally pulled it from her, and kicked her in the head in anger. At that point Julius was already running for the gunman. He instinctively grabbed the gunman's throat. When his wits returned to him, he realized the robber's throat had swelled to twice it's normal size. He released the man's neck. The gunman choked and wheezed, grabbing at the bulge. He fell over dead, suffocated. Julius stood there, blank, looking at his hands with a puzzled fear, curious about this new ability but frightened of what it might do. The bandit keeping watch raised his gun and pointed it at Julius.

"What the hell did you just do??" he shouted. Julius took a few slow steps toward him, dreamlike. Suddenly, shots were fired, screams sounded, and Julius hit the floor. Seconds later the screams abruptly ended when Julius got back up, covered in blood but without a wound on his body. The gunman stared for a moment and opened fire again. Two bullets hit him in his chest, a third one in his eye. There was no chance anyone could survive that. And yet, Julius stood his ground, the wounds healing right before the gunman's eyes. Even behind his mask, Julius saw the look of terror in the gunman's face. That was when he ran. He ran right out the front door of the coffee shop.

"Somebody call the police!" Julius shouted. No one did. No one even moved. Everyone was just staring at him, even Andrea. That's when he realized everyone in the room knew his secret. Everyone saw what had just happened. A man killed someone by merely touching them, and then took seven bullets and doesn't have a scratch on him. Upon this realization, Julius too ran for the door. He was no criminal;quite the opposite, actually. He was a hero. The world, though, didn't see it that way. He was a freak to them, a monster.

When he finally made it to his mothers house, she questioned him as to why he was drenched in blood. He stuttered fearfully what had happened. Both he and his mother got ready to leave the city, expecting to be found out, but luckily no one had come for him. No one in the coffee shop knew his name except for Andrea, who probably refused to talk to the police about what happened. Julius called both her house phone and her cell phone numerous times, leaving messages about how he loves her and wants to talk to her about what happened. Finally, after two weeks, she finally picked up. She didn't give him time to even speak. All she said was "Stop calling me. I don't want to talk about what happened. Leave me alone."

and with that she hung up.

Gamertag: VI-Chuckles-IV || Gamerscore: 6,000 || Zone: Recreation

I love you guys.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-25 00:36:05

I opened my eyes and I saw the world,
Life hit me and I was awake, I knew it so.
A splash of cold water, and my eyes were open
but I felt blind; I could see the world, but not
experience it this time.

The world stood still but I did not,
it was my life and for myself I fought.
Bound by the promise of a fruitful life I would not go,
still innocent to the wonders the world could show.

It is time to see but it was time to go,
life passed through me and I knew it so.
There is still a place for me, and adventures to come,
but it's time to progress because my time here is done.
I closed my eyes, it was time to sleep...
And then it was dark.

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-25 15:04:58

I've read some of the recent postings (things put up after my joining post), and I'm enjoying it. However, I have no experience actually critiquing writing or poetry, so I cannot offer any more than stating whether I enjoy the writing or not.

My user page has a piece of the next story I'm writing, about a thief paid to go kidnap a person of a noble house. I would like it if anybody could lend their critique, or simply comment on what you like and what I might do better.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-27 22:51:12

At 5/25/09 03:04 PM, supaflameflamedragon wrote: I've read some of the recent postings (things put up after my joining post), and I'm enjoying it. However, I have no experience actually critiquing writing or poetry, so I cannot offer any more than stating whether I enjoy the writing or not.

Critiquing isn't as hard or daunting as it might seem. You just have to say what you liked and didn't like about the piece. Since we're all amateurs here, usually pointing out the weaknesses (like bad dialogue, lack of description, etc.) and how to correct them is nice. Or even if you just say "hey, I don't like that" is fine. Anything you say helps the author in refining that work and any future work they may do.

tl;dr: just say specifically what you did/didn't like about the story/poem

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-28 08:41:40

At 5/27/09 10:51 PM, TheThing wrote: Or even if you just say "hey, I don't like that" is fine.

Highlighting a specific part of the submission will draw the author's attention back to it and they will possibly think about new ways to convey the story or poem.

Trust me, that's well worth it.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-28 08:45:05

Busting out a bitching review on the Sims 3 for the site I write for ATM. Its hard going as I'm not a fan of the series. But fun to write as its like playing life, where you catch fire.

This is the first part of my first draft. Don't mind any grammatical mistakes or spelling errors as this is just a draft:

Why live life when you can live as a Sim? Developed by EA Black Box and Visceral Games, The Sims 3 is, you guessed it, the third iteration of the series. With the original Sims and Sims 2 released in 2000 and 2004, EA had a big act to follow, as those 2 games were show stoppers for PC gaming. The aim of the game is to take control of a Sim, or Sims, and lead them through their life. Through bad and good, fire and water and to hell and back again... well... not quite that bad; but there's a lot do in a lifetime right? Can the Sims 3 take its place beside its brothers? Or is it just more of the same? Hit the jump to find out!

Out there in the gaming world there really is nothing quite like the Sims. Its a real life simulator. Sure you've got stuff like Animal Crossing and Giftpia, but it's not human enough. This game truly allows you to live a life exactly how you want it, whether you want to have 200 kids, or be filthy stinkin' rich. You can do it all. If you've ever played the board game; Game Of Life, you'll notice that its nothing like the Sims 3. Because it's a videogame, therefore a thousand times more enjoyable. Your main "quest" in the game, would be to get a job, find a lady/young fellow to mate with, have a bunch of children and then... die. A game where you die of old age sounds exciting doesn't it? But wait, there's more. If you have kids when you die, you continue controlling them, so really, the game never ends! Unless you're infertile.

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-28 08:49:04

This club sounds pretty sweet.

I've been writing for about twelve years now. When I was three, I used to tell my mom stories that she would write down and I would draw the pictures for. I think I still have the book lying around somewhere.
I've thought up a million flash stories that I've since forgotten, but I've got a couple scripts for shorts scattered around my computer.
I've written a bunch of stories for school and some fanfics when I was like eleven. Right now I'm writing a movie, and it's going pretty well. I've got like thirty pages so far.
And my name is Leo Vader, website is leovader.com! See if you can remember that.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-28 16:39:15

At 5/28/09 08:45 AM, Viridis wrote: If you've ever played the board game; Game Of Life, you'll notice that its nothing like the Sims 3. Because it's a videogame, therefore a thousand times more enjoyable.

I know you didn't ask for a critique, but you're getting one anyway.

2 things wrong with this part up there; A.) You assume that the reader of the article finds that board games are boring and B.) this is a bad comparison, especially since you just did 2 better comparisons right before it. Board games and video games are 2 separate things, and trying to compare aspects of one to the other is like comparing apples and oranges. Your comparison would be like saying "playing MLB 09 is nothing like playing baseball in real life, making MLB 09 a thousand times better". It's completely arbitrary and unnecessary.

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-28 18:30:49

At 5/28/09 04:39 PM, TheThing wrote:
At 5/28/09 08:45 AM, Viridis wrote: If you've ever played the board game; Game Of Life, you'll notice that its nothing like the Sims 3. Because it's a videogame, therefore a thousand times more enjoyable.

Stufff

I appreciate it man. Point taken and changed. :) This is just the first draft anyway and I usually write two or three but thanks anyway. :)

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-05-31 20:54:16

At 5/28/09 06:30 PM, Viridis wrote:
At 5/28/09 04:39 PM, TheThing wrote:

Stufff
I appreciate it man. Point taken and changed. :) This is just the first draft anyway and I usually write two or three but thanks anyway. :)

Don't worry about it. I figure I'd help you out now, less work later.

So... anyone got any projects they're going to start soon/working on now?

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-01 09:55:46

At 5/31/09 08:54 PM, TheThing wrote: So... anyone got any projects they're going to start soon/working on now?

Well, I'm about a quarter - halfway through my first draft on Into the Darkness. I've just got to get as much of it down to the computer screen before I forget the details of what happened during those late night role playing sessions.

If you haven't read it yet, give it a check out - my news post has the info and I linked it about 2 weeks ago in this thread :)

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-04 01:56:43

I am putting my the ending of my story for English here, I know that it's just the ending but it actually means something to me. I don't expect anyone to read or critique it, but I just want a piece of it somewhere :).

-----------------------------------

t's the most authentic feeling, rising above better than before. Life never throws you a bone or bails
you out of your mistakes... Sometimes even if you have to take the long road you won't regret it in the end, because you have seen far more. I don't know weather or not it's the shock or fear of growing up, the devistating prospect of what comes next, or just the un-knowingness of it all... but I am powering through it all more valiantly.

They call it the 'resolution', but I am not there just yet. I may be resolving my conflicts, but life will make more, and I can only hope to overcome them just as I have with recent events. One thing that
I have learned is that when you ARE taking that long road, it isn't time to be nostalgic but there is always time to stop and smell the roses. Because fundamentally you cannot simply change your path based on past mistakes, but keep it moving in the right direction.

I'll end my note with the fact that I cam cognizant of what I have done in the past, I know where my situation lies now and for some reason it all feels like it is going to be okay for once. Maybe one day I will reach my final resolution, but all I know now is where I'm going and it's going to take a lot of work to get there... but at least I know where I am going, and I am fine with that.
-----------------------------------

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-04 04:09:32

So, who's preparing an entry for the Monthly Writing Contest?

I've started my desert island tale, but I'm not sure how long a ramble like this will go on for, so watch this space...

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-04 15:35:43

At 6/4/09 04:09 AM, Coop83 wrote: So, who's preparing an entry for the Monthly Writing Contest?

I've started my desert island tale, but I'm not sure how long a ramble like this will go on for, so watch this space...

I'm doing it. I'm just throwing ideas around at the moment though.

hi

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-04 22:21:52

At 6/4/09 04:09 AM, Coop83 wrote: So, who's preparing an entry for the Monthly Writing Contest?

I'm thinking about it. Time is fucking me in the ass, but I have a few ideas for a story. Not sure where they'll go, but I usually never do.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty easy assignment, and I think it'd be a good way to get into the MWCs

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-05 08:08:31

At 6/4/09 10:21 PM, TheThing wrote: Anyway, this seems like a pretty easy assignment, and I think it'd be a good way to get into the MWCs

Yeah, that's what I thought before I started writing my piece - I'm just trying to get it back up to where I'm happy with it.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-06 19:50:50

Yeah, I thought of something to do for the MWC, but the more I brainstormed, the more it's turning into something that requires multiple parts. I just posted a prologue on my page, check it out if you want.

hi

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-08 21:59:40

Finally got a solid idea for the MWC and have been banging it out. I have to change the opening though; it makes little to no sense.

It seems pretty solid, hopefully it'll be well executed enough to win something.

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-09 23:01:35

At 6/8/09 10:12 PM, bgraybr wrote: Hey mind if I join? I write a lot but I've never showed it to anyone. I posted in Literature Lovers Club but no one responded, it seems pretty dead.

Everyone is welcome to join. Just try to post every once in while.

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-10 18:11:39

At 6/9/09 11:01 PM, TheThing wrote: Everyone is welcome to join. Just try to post every once in while.

Dammit, this is getting frustrating. I'm trying to find a suitable way to convey hiding from a severe storm in a cave and how this would be the low point of living on an island.

The difficult part is skipping so far ahead to actually getting off the island, which I've already planned out...

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Writers Club 2009-06-10 21:06:23

At 6/10/09 06:11 PM, Coop83 wrote:
At 6/9/09 11:01 PM, TheThing wrote: Everyone is welcome to join. Just try to post every once in while.
Dammit, this is getting frustrating. I'm trying to find a suitable way to convey hiding from a severe storm in a cave and how this would be the low point of living on an island.

The difficult part is skipping so far ahead to actually getting off the island, which I've already planned out...

The hardest part for me is making it sound good. I'm not overly inspired at the moment, so it reads kind of...bland right now. It'll get more poetic later, but right now it reads stupidly.