00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

EDGE Article

32,656 Views | 296 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:12:49

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Tom}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:15:52

At 6/15/07 10:12 AM, CaptainBob wrote: {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Tom}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Gayest thing you've ever done.

But seriously, I think setting reachable goals and getting them done would bring your self esteem up.

Something like "Make breakfast."

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:26:37

At 6/14/07 07:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Newgrounds will be celebrating its 12th anniversary on the web next month, so it's a crazy time to reflect on where Newgrounds has gone in the past 12 years and where it hasn't. The web wasn't ready for a lot of the things we tried to do in the early days.

Wow! Never realised how much was held off.

Any idea when next month will be the anniversary? NG-Birth-day?

But anyway, back to my own self-pity. What's especially crushing is all the projects that remain yet unfinished. Newgrounds is like 10 years behind schedule from where it's supposed to be right now. It started off so fast and loose, making games and launching features in such rapid succession.

I suppose whenever you want to actually polish your work, the realisation will always take far, far longer than the conception of the idea.

Just look at Peter Molyneux - a dude whose intended grasp is always outwith his reach! By comparison, you haven't really made any failed promises (just date slips...)

Just don't make newsposts or talk to publishers about far-reaching ideas the instant they're spawned, as he does.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:27:54

At 6/15/07 10:15 AM, CrimsonEdge wrote:
At 6/15/07 10:12 AM, CaptainBob wrote: {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Tom}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Gayest thing you've ever done.

pffffffffffffft. HARDLY.

Anyways Tom, all leaders have feelings of doubt and second guesses. The important thing is that you've always had a positive attitude for the public. The loyalty you inspire in the userbase is tremendous.

I am sometimes discouraged that other sites started doing what you thought up a long time ago and they're getting the most recognition for it at the moment. That's okay. By sitting back and watching how things have unfolded for the last couple of years while you guys have been tirelessly working towards the update, you can learn from the mistakes of youtube, myspace and friendster and avoid them entirely.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:34:02

NG never dies !!!

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 10:34:09

At 6/15/07 10:27 AM, Maus wrote: good stuff

seconded :)

keep it up tom, we're all here for ya. alright everybody group hug now ^_^

no seriously, everyone here respects you and looks up to you, especially the BBS users 'cuz we know all the hard work that u put into this place. We owe you so much, and i have a feeling we're gonna owe you a hell of a lot more in the near future. Keep it up tom, beleive it or not, it's all worth it :D.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 11:07:03

So sad to hear that, Tom, but at least you're letting it all out. Always remember, though: Once you get negative and down and think like that, you're that much closer to losing and giving up! You can't live in denial; no one can, but come on mate, you've got to be strong - this whole site was your idea, no-one else can carry the burden you carry. Only you can control the fate of Newgrounds, Tom!

"The point is, you've created something special, and... no matter what anyone says, YOU ARE TOO! So.... Chin up!"
- Shadow, Sonic Uncut 3

Click the pic below to see Episode IV As It Should Have Been, AKA The Funniest Star Wars Parody Ever

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 11:50:13

But anyway, back to my own self-pity. What's especially crushing is all the projects that remain yet unfinished. Newgrounds is like 10 years behind schedule from where it's supposed to be right now. It started off so fast and loose, making games and launching features in such rapid succession. Then the games got bigger and the features more complex, and nothing could be done quickly anymore. Good ideas can no longer just be tossed into the mix like they once were, they have to wait until the other good ideas are finished, even if it takes months... or years. Other console games can't happen until Castle Crashers is done. Other web games can't happen until Pixel Puncher is done. Nothing on the site can happen until the redesign is done. Meanwhile, new ideas keep bubbling up every day. I don't know what to do about it so I just get mad about it and loath myself.

tom, i have been coming to newgrounds for a long time, and honestly, i think that newgrounds allready has entered a whole new world of opportunity. but you dont need to rush that, tom. You, me. the other newgrounders around this huge site. newgrounds is able to get better at any time. and I, no. WE are here to support you. and im sure im speaking for all of us when i say that. newgrounds is expanding every day. but, you dont have to rush this site to get better, because it IS better. and im sure that in time, newgrounds will be king, of all sites of it's own kind. soon, newgrounds shall rule. NEWGROUNDS FOREVER!

sincerely,
darkmanlives/superkirbybomb

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 11:50:50

Awesome.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 12:29:23

i think when ng started gettign user created submissions we were ahead of our time.....thats it.

Thou Shalt not worship another dick before me!

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 12:38:00

You probably stop reading these by page 7 but Im going to write anyways. Newgrounds is the single biggest inspiration in my life. Ive been visiting Newgrounds since the original Assassin with my buddy for a long time and Ive been hooked ever since. As I have visited NG has evolved and I became even more enthralled by it. You guys have shown me that while highly unlikely I could get a few dreams to pan out from my life. I go to Bucks County Community College. People go and tell me its a sess pool of shit. I mention Wade Fulp used to go here and that he runs this awesome site with Tom and people are a little shocked. People can do something with themselves there. I want to get into video game design, mainly 2D. People say its impossible. I know that development houses close everyday but I always come back to y'know the guy from Newgrounds and his friend made this awesome game and by chance got it developed on 5 major consoles not withstanding of a lot of hard work but it was worth it. Not only can 2D games still be successful in the game market they can be developed by indie developers. While chances are thin that Ill really be as successful at what I do or be even a 1000th as good as the staff at Newgrounds I still have a glimmer of hope that if I work hard with my dreams high in my head I can do anything. This post I suppose is terribly cliche but I dont care. Newgrounds has taught me a lot and I only have more to learn.

Thanks Tom, I hope everything pans out for you the way you envision.

Would you could you eat dolphin from a can? I would not could not eat dolphin from a can. Not from a can, not in my tea, NOW CHICKEN OF THE SEA JUST LET ME BE!

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 12:41:14

In response to the post, there's a simple way to keep your disappointment in yourself in perspective.

Think of all the other people who have sites who would kill to have the daily visitors Newgrounds gets in an hour.

I know I'll never get an article in EDGE (Congratulations!), so here's one person you're better than. Heck, you can actually quit Newgrounds right this second and still be more influental than 99.9% of the people who visit this site. Think about what you've done and how you don't have to do anything else to make your mark on the Internet. I wish I had that, and I suspect a lot of other people do too.

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 12:58:10

At 6/15/07 12:41 PM, Nangbaby wrote: Think about what you've done and how you don't have to do anything else to make your mark on the Internet. I wish I had that, and I suspect a lot of other people do too.

Amen to that

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 13:00:35

That is sweet Tom.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 13:10:58

Tom,

You've done an incredible amount of noteworthy things and have achieved many goals that people twice your age could never dream of reaching. Comparatively speaking, you are doing awesome.

Unfortunately, your type of personality has trouble taking comparison's with the "average" schmoe as a sign of success because your biggest motivator and competitor is yourself.

This is good and bad. Good because that kind of personality is where true innovation lies, bad because it's easy to have self-doubt and feel behind.

Just rest assured that you are an inspiration to thousands and a true example of extreme talent mixed with a surprising and refreshing level of altruism and humility.

I look up to you and we've never even met...see you at comic-con.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 13:14:37

Sounds like you could use a razor Tom.

But yeh, i remember the NG player and that Winnie the Pooh thing that was made, and how you remarked that this site could have been YouTube. But what would that accomplish?

It would mean Newgrounds would have been owned by a multinational corporation now. The complete opposite of what you always wanted.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 13:28:46

About fucking time you got some recognition. Big congratulations, and always keep up the good work. Also, a PR team wouldn't be so bad if you ask me. Not 50 people, just 2 guys or so that help with marketing and whatnot. Getting more recognition can really make alot of difference, believe me. Additionally, maybe try to get more people in the NG staff. Project sizes have increased, and you have to increase your staff to maintain a healthy renewal speed. Just a thought.

Anyway, I just want to show you my support, and never give up. Newgrounds is the greatest site, period. I honestly feel that way.

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 13:57:42

Take your time, dude. No need to rush.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 14:08:22

ok try not be be in a bad mood

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 14:20:17

Also Mr Fulp, on the subject of recognition and Newgrounds and all that jazz, get your arse down to the Flash Regs Lounge. I saw you post like once. I'm sure you'll get all the e-ego stroking you need there.

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 14:38:33

miow miow miow miow

miow miow miow miow

miow miow miow miow miow miow miow miow

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 14:42:12

tom you have it in you your team has it in them, I think you and your teammates can get so much acomplished you already have the skills and brains to do it.Good luck and we will be all looking forward to your goals being reached.

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 14:44:46

High 5 for you Tom, where alot of people would of said fuck it, you kept on. Now that is commitment and heart for ya.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 15:17:49

dont be in a bad mood

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 15:40:24

At 6/14/07 07:57 PM, TomFulp wrote:
It's VERY CLOSE.

You've said that so many times now, it doesn't seem to mean anything to me anymore.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 15:43:03

Fucking Sweet

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 15:46:25

Now that was a side of tom fulp we havnt seen before, or we very rarely see, cant wait for the projects to be done, especially the redesign ! It will be a completely different newgrounds !

These Are Not The Droids You Are Looking For.

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 15:56:42

Tom, you gotta remember the Newgrounds is probably the most popular flash site on the net, and also one of the biggest. If you really want these things to get scores, you gotta keep them on until they are completely outdated. Also, sometimes more work must be put in for more attention (look at my submissions, if I had put more work into them, they might have a chance at review crew pick.)

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 16:07:04

Ah I need to go and buy EDGE just because ^_^

Good luck with it all =S

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to EDGE Article 2007-06-15 16:14:06

Hang in there, Tom!

The basic theory of Newgrounds (and it's certainly not unique to Newgrounds) is that you try out billions of possibilities and SOME of them come out awesome. Look at the front page. Aren't you proud of all the awesome stuff people have done and submitted to your website? Fun games, cool cartoons...the Weird Al collection, for crying out loud! You've got so much awesome concentrated here. Think about the art contests, how people will jump at the chance to submit wacky pictures simply because you said so! Think of the audio portal, where people submit hours of music! Think of how many awesome Flash artists there are submitting stuff--how EVERY DAY you say "We also have submissions from THESE popular Flash artists (insert two dozen people who rock)".

Sure, there's drama, there's guilt over missed opportunities...But it doesn't matter. You gotta leave that behind like it was BLAMMED.

I hope I didn't sound angry, I'm not trying to sound angry, I'm trying to sound encouraging. :) There's nowhere to go but up!