00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why do you believe in god?

3,730 Views | 89 Replies

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 00:43:12

At 2/9/07 12:38 AM, intrinsik2 wrote:
At 2/9/07 12:35 AM, MisterSambert wrote: I'm just going to flat out say this [. . .]
The thread is "why do you believe" not "obliviously pander to yourself"

Take your trolling elsewhere.

Just because I didn't include the words "This is why I don't believe..." doesn't mean I didn't express what I do and do not believe in.

Read my fucking post, you complete, fucking, goddamn, idiot.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 00:44:10

At 2/8/07 11:48 PM, Genocide wrote: I simply believe in god because it seems logical, we all had a beginning somewhere..we didn't just pop up from nowhere.
religion ftw

Erm... k uhh where did god come from then? NOTHING can or could have always been ITS IMPOSSIBLE.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 00:52:35

At 2/9/07 12:44 AM, Slippery-Nipple wrote: Erm... k uhh where did god come from then? NOTHING can or could have always been ITS IMPOSSIBLE.

If all matter or forces in the universe hasn't "always been", then something must have created all of it. By assuming this, one promotes a theory that matter and forces can be simply conjured out of nothing, which is an impossibility.

Despite your imbecilic capitalized emphasis on words, I have no idea what you're tying to say.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:07:52

At 2/9/07 12:58 AM, intrinsik2 wrote: Or maybe since I'm not inside your head I don't see every logical tie that you are aware of.

I read your response, and I fail to see how it addresses the aforementioned dichotomy (justification vs motivation) of belief beyond "people always ask why, here's how it was, here's how it is."

Perhaps we are speaking in different contexts. Where as you seem to be looking at societies, I am concentrating on the personal. Perhaps this is why I'm not seeing the connections you obviously think are clear as day.

I was thinking there's more to it... so I asked. I didn't mean to seem incredulous or nasty.

Oh, no problem. I meant in terms of man asking, "Why?" in terms of existence or creation. I mean to say that "Why?" is a question that generally leads to stupid assumptions.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:07:58

At 2/9/07 12:43 AM, MisterSambert wrote: Just because I didn't include the words "This is why I don't believe..." doesn't mean I didn't express what I do and do not believe in.
You also did not have to insult or denounce an opposing belief.

It's like stepping on a police officer's foot when he's handcuffing you. You did after all let him handcuff you - you just stomped on his foot too.

Your comparison of my opinion on religion and stepping on an officer's foot do not go together. In no way is saying "everyone who believes in God is an idiot" comparable to "stepping on an officer's foot". I was expressing my opinion about the majority of ignorant human beings, and their lack of knowledge of science as a whole.

You are all wasting your lives believing in this non-sense.

Oh, and you're a fucking, piece of crap idiot.

To ignore your personal and emotional involvement is rather silly, when you make it so apparent.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:25:44

At 2/9/07 01:07 AM, MisterSambert wrote: Your comparison of my opinion on religion and stepping on an officer's foot do not go together. In no way is saying "everyone who believes in God is an idiot" comparable to "stepping on an officer's foot". I was expressing my opinion about the majority of ignorant human beings, and their lack of knowledge of science as a whole.
It was an offensive expression, irrelevant to what was being asked of you - unless your belief in science is founded upon animosity, rather than actual science. Perhaps you've said more than you intended to. ;)

Science has more logical explanations than saying "oh yeah, God created us all, and we all go to heaven or hell." What is this-a mythical movie or life? It's common sense, and "believing" in science is more logical than believing in a God.

You are all wasting your lives believing in this non-sense.
Sorry... I'm not actually religious. (nowai!)

Haha, NOWAI!!! Good thing I said, and I quote, "You are all..."

NOWAI NOAWINOAWIALALWLAWL

Fucking idiot.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:32:26

I don't know. It seems to comfort me, to put it simply.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:32:31

I believe in myself. All hail me or I will fucking brain you.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:35:54

At 2/9/07 12:35 AM, MisterSambert wrote: I'm just going to flat out say this: People who believe in "God" are complete morons.

Oh dear. I see we have a "so-smart-s0-dumb" wannabe here.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 01:38:50

At 2/9/07 01:32 AM, intrinsik2 wrote:
At 2/9/07 01:25 AM, MisterSambert wrote: Science has more logical explanations than saying "oh yeah, God created us all, and we all go to heaven or hell." What is this-a mythical movie or life? It's common sense, and "believing" in science is more logical than believing in a God.
You're doing a little better now... glad to see some forward motion.

What the fuck are you talking about? I stated in my first post that it was science. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Haha, NOWAI!!! Good thing I said, and I quote, "You are all..."
Sorry, I misunderstood. So I suppose if I was a penguin you'd be including animals under the definition of "all" too...

Your attempt to seem more clever than me by stating that you were not religious had no effect on me; You had not said whether or not you were, and so I said that the human race, in general, are wasting their time.

Fucking moron. Stop replying. It's not that I don't like calling you a fucking moron, it's just that you have been losing this argument from post one. And solely because you chose to quote me with your bullshit.

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 08:40:13

As an Agnostic, I believe it is impossible to know whether or not there is a god. Since the concept of god is essentially an abstract hypothesis that has yet to be tested (and as an agnostic is something I believe can't truly be tested) I choose to live my life without taking the possibility of god into account.

To me, if I believed in god it would be like living my life carelessly and unhealthily because I believed that medical science in the future would be able to fix anything wrong I had done to myself.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 08:42:40

At 2/8/07 11:53 PM, Slapdamonkeyaz wrote: "Beliving is in a religion is beliving in something you know ain't true." -Mark Twain.

That answer your question?

Wow, he doesn't know aint how to aint make sense there aint he?

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 08:50:43

they're weak minded people who want to vaguly confirm their life. They want their life to be worth something the thought of death scares them.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 08:59:53

Could God make a chilli dog so hot that even he could not eat it?

Is that the most idiotic thing you've heard of?

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 08:59:53

I believe in God because I just want to cover my bases in case there really is a Heaven.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:08:27

At 2/9/07 08:59 AM, clb07 wrote: I believe in God because I just want to cover my bases in case there really is a Heaven.

If God reads the NGBBS (which you would assume he does, considering he is supposed to be all-omnipotent), then you're fucked ;D

Me? Meh, I just don't care about it anymore. There might be a God, there might not be a God...I'm just going to live my life and try be a decent person, without any religious bias.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:12:30

At 2/9/07 12:17 AM, Le-Baron wrote: There are no scientific studies to ever imply that God, as a deity, exists at all.

There's also no evidence that he don't exist at all.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:26:46

At 2/9/07 09:12 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 2/9/07 12:17 AM, Le-Baron wrote: There are no scientific studies to ever imply that God, as a deity, exists at all.

What kind of evidence would you accept as "disproving God"?

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:32:08

At 2/9/07 09:26 AM, Mr-Pope wrote:
At 2/9/07 09:12 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
What kind of evidence would you accept as "disproving God"?

Does it occur to you that there were certain things which can never be explained?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:38:40

How long will it be until the thread descents into a flame war?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:40:00

At 2/9/07 09:38 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: How long will it be until the thread descents into a flame war?

Not until I fuck your mum you braindead Christian wankstain.

rofljokinghonestly

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:40:20

Jesus this
Moses That
Abraham hit me
With a wiffle ball bat

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 09:50:13

Religion can give people hope and if we didn't have we'd just kill each other and stuff.
We didn't just pop out of no where. I don't belive in God the same was as people do, well i'm not sure as to me God could be the gases that created the universe

I be down with Mozart mother fucker! I've been banging out jives since I was a dickworm

Slags and hoes.

Oh shit king kong what are you going

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 10:14:48

But what if you are wrong? What if its true? Enjoy your hell, sir. Our life on earth is limited, but the "afterlife" will be eternal. So if there is a afterlife, and there is a hell, was it really worth eternal damnation of suffering just to disbelieve in something taught to us?

Hey god forgives. To be honest it is hell i dont believe in hell was made up so people wouldn't fight and kill each other. I may be wrong but hey that's my guess. I do believe in god for reasons i can't explain but a strong feeling thats always been in my heart. (yes i know it sounds gay) Now i don't believe the bible too much i only believe parts of the bible.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 10:24:14

To the people who say there is no evidence/proof for God, let me leave you with this tidbit:

There is a particle that the general model of physics as predicted for a number of years, yet no one has directly observed it. In order to determine whether said particle (the Higgs Boson, for anyone interested) actually exists or not, CERN is spending billions upon billions of dollars to get their 27km Large Hadron Collider (a big particle accelerator) and measuring equipment (specifically, the gigantic ATLAS detector) online. This thing will be spitting out terrabytes of data per day, which is then going to have to be sequenced and analysed by a massively distributed computer system.

And keep in mind, this is a particle which can theoretically be created here, on earth, without any major hassles.

Now, look at the lengths we're going to, in order to try and examine a single sub-atomic particle. One would assume that God would be much much harder to find if he was a tangible object (and he could be floating around anywhere in the universe) and very much impossible to find, if he was intangible, or existing in another dimension.

Just some food for though.

I'm very much of the athiest/agnostic camp, by the way.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 10:31:41

Nope. Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 10:45:59

Pam may pack plums and grapes, but I used the box of mix to fix bread for six boys.

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000

DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 11:30:27

At 2/9/07 09:12 AM, Idiot-Finder wrote: There's also no evidence that he don't exist at all.

So? There is also no evidence that the universe we live in is actually a proton in a molecule in the ass of a giant invisible William Shatner, but that isn't any reason to believe it to be true.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 11:31:39

Religion is built on two concepts.
FEAR AND IGNORANCE.

They're the flour and water of everything wrong in this world, that's why nobody can make this world we live in better.

End.

Response to Why do you believe in god? 2007-02-09 12:12:23

I used to believe in God, but my own intuition managed to change that. Where do I begin....

1 - Every religion has an explanation for the creation of the universe. In the case of christianity, God spun it all into existance in 6 days. But at the risk of quoting Fullmetal Alchemist, there is something flawed here. Matter can only be altered, not "created" or "destroyed". Now, if God exists im sure he can bypass this rule. My question is, who made God? How did this omnipotent being come into existance from absolute nothingness? The only real explanation here is that human logic is flawed. Perhaps some things dont have a "beginning". But if this is the case, and God has simply always existed, the same could be said for the universe.

2 - No one can deny that Miracles do happen. People make miraculous recoveries and are saved from certain death situations. But for every one of these miracles, 10,000 people died under similar circumstances. Thousands of people are cut down in the prime of their lives every day from some freak accident. Take for example someone that has the HIV virus but it never evolves into AIDS (it has happened). Why would God choose to save some random nobody in St Louis, and let millions die from the exact same virus all over the world? Has he done something do deserve this honor? Why would God let his christian servants die from easily cured diseases in scads? "Miracles" are merely those lucky people who have the reflexes/genetic composition/luck to avoid death.

3 - "God loves everyone", what a load of crap. If God loves us so much, why does he let the world go on like this? Rapes, murders, wars, theft, genocide, I could go on. Good people live tortured existences their whole lives, while people who deserve to die live in luxury? And what about after you die? For the sake of example, Im going to assume that Bill Gates isnt an avid christian (I really dont know). This man pours billions into charity work. He revolutionized the technological world as we know it, for the better. His life has basically been spent making the world a better place. But when he dies, God is going to mercilessly torture him for all eternity because he didnt go to church? The bible says this in no uncertain terms. No matter how you lived or what you believed in, you WILL go to hell if you didnt serve him. What about people who lived thier whole lives and were never introduced to Christianity? They go to hell too, even though they didnt even know God existed. If this is what God is really like, I will take up arms and fight him myself. Ill probably lose, but Ill go to Hell proud that I went down fighting an evil force.

4 - Read the damn book of Job. Job was God's most loyal servant. God made a bet with Satan that no matter what, Job would never waver in his obediance to God. So God let Satan kill his entire family, destroy all of his posessions, and strike him with horrible diseases until Job finally gave in and cursed God. So, God let Satan torture his "beloved child" for a bet??? AND THIS ALL KNOWING GOD LOST!?!?

I guess I shoud correct myself. I believe that there may very well be a god. But I refuse to beleive that he is anything like the spoiled child that is in the bible.