00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Callipsio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,841,453 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-01 00:48:30

At 7/31/13 11:08 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Dude, Berserk was an awesome anime.

This girl friend I had told me about Berserk, something about demon rape and trees made of flesh or something. Everything she told me...sounds like a kinkier Bible Blacks.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-01 01:18:14

At 8/1/13 12:48 AM, sweet21 wrote:
At 7/31/13 11:08 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Dude, Berserk was an awesome anime.
This girl friend I had told me about Berserk, something about demon rape and trees made of flesh or something. Everything she told me...sounds like a kinkier Bible Blacks.

lol No it's not. There's no hentai material. You don't see penetration. At least not in the anime. I never got to the part where Griffith turns in the manga.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-01 02:19:20

I just watched the second Gantz movie. I'm guessing the manga wasn't yet complete when they made it because they didn't fight the aliens that they fought at the end of the manga. I dunno if these men in black aliens were in the manga or if the little black orb was in it, but I know that at the end of the manga, they fought a bunch of giants on a spaceship. Anyway, it was badass and mostly awesome.

But the ending was fucking bullshit. Fuck them for doing that. The manga had a happy ending for everyone.

Also, I recently watched the first volume of Hades Project Zeorymer, which was alright. I guess I'll watch the other one next.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-05 22:51:28

At 7/26/13 06:40 PM, 4761 wrote:
At 7/26/13 05:24 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: What's everybody watching this season?

I am watching Gatchaman, Monogatari Second Season, Milky Holmes and Kiniro Mosaic?

Anything on next season anyone is looking forward to?
I'm watching Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack on Titan) on Crunchyroll and Watamote.

I haven't seen Shingeki No Kyojin in 4 weeks, does the pacing get better enough to make it worth downloading?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-06 00:16:10

At 8/5/13 10:51 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: I haven't seen Shingeki No Kyojin in 4 weeks, does the pacing get better enough to make it worth downloading?

Anime hardly ever has good pacing.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 14:03:53

At 7/26/13 10:55 PM, PWJP wrote: and was watching Danganronpa until I played the game and realized it's miles ahead of the anime.

I beat that game last week, and it's great. Battle Royale + Ace Attourney = amazing

The gameplay's unique but it's still easy as fuck, even on malicious; it doesn't help that you can basically savescum during the Trials/Debates. The pacing was pretty swift, though, and only allowed for a very small amount of Free Time segments. I'm gonna play the second one because I loved the game's story, although I'll be disappointed if there are no limitations on saving. I'm tempted to buy a Vita just so I can support the devs who are localizing it (Nippon Ichi?).

Kirigiri is best girl, followed by Fukawa.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 14:26:31

At 8/14/13 02:03 PM, towelie101 wrote: I'm tempted to buy a Vita just so I can support the devs who are localizing it (Nippon Ichi?).

Whelp, I meant that buying the localization will support NIS, not that buying a Vita would directly produce that result. Hopefully, it'll encourage them to bring the second game over, too.

Music's tight as well. DAT BOX16, DISTRUST, -HEAT UP-, etc.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 20:02:16

Did I mention im watching Mushi-shi yet? Im watching Mushi-shi. Yes.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 22:00:41

At 8/14/13 08:02 PM, sweet21 wrote: Did I mention im watching Mushi-shi yet? Im watching Mushi-shi. Yes.

That's a fantastic show. Great atmosphere. I have the ost.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 22:35:39

Just decided to drop by this thread since I've been watching a bunch of anime recently.

Finally finished Cowboy Bebop today (started 3 days ago) and man the ending just does it, I've never watched the show when it aired on TV like 10 years (or more) ago since I would've been like 6 years old at that point but watching old classic anime seems really weird for me but at the same time a unique experience. What other old classics would you guys recommend to me? I'm planning on watching the whole Evangelion series but don't know what exactly the order goes since I think there's movies that tie in to the actual series.

Other than watching old anime I'm still following Hunter x Hunter, Shingeki No Kyojin, Blood Lad, Gin no Saji, Danganronpa, and trying to get Hellsing Ultimate Dubbed on DVD box set.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-14 23:16:07

Cowboy Bebop an old classic? lol But yeah, it's great.

As for older anime, like '80s or older, some good ones are Lupin III, Fist of the North Star (and the movie), Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, the Professional: Golgo 13 (new series is great, too), Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma (just barely, '89) and Neo Tokyo (also '89). Some so-called "guilty pleasures" from that time frame are BAOH, Violence Jack, and Wicked City. And Crying Freeman started in the '80s at least.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-15 10:08:53

At 8/14/13 10:35 PM, Tycrane wrote: I'm planning on watching the whole Evangelion series but don't know what exactly the order goes since I think there's movies that tie in to the actual series.

The Evangelion chronology just goes episodes 1-24, then The End of Evangelion movie, which takes place alongside (or replaces) episodes 25 and 26 of the show. There's also Death and Rebirth which is a recap of the series with bits of new footage, but it was mainly just to fill time and not really worth watching when you can just go straight to End of Eva instead.

There's also the Rebuild of Evangelion, a reimagining of the series in 4 films. The third film came out novemeber 2012. Rebuild is pretty much just a fanservice compilation and not nearly as good as the original but it's still definitely worth watching.

So your watching order is just all 26 episodes -> The End of Evangelion -> Rebuild of Evangelion. Eva is my favorite anime by far, hope you enjoy it.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-15 10:15:55

One more thing since you mentioned Hellsing dubbed, I despise the Eva english dub. Absolutely ruins it in my opinion. The Jap voice of Shinji sounds like a 14 year old boy, while the english version sounds like a 30 year old man doing a half assed impression of an irritating and whiny 14 year old boy. It's your choice, but the jap voices are vastly superior.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-15 14:20:12

At 8/14/13 11:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: As for older anime, like '80s or older, some good ones are Lupin III, Fist of the North Star (and the movie), Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, the Professional: Golgo 13 (new series is great, too), Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma (just barely, '89) and Neo Tokyo (also '89). Some so-called "guilty pleasures" from that time frame are BAOH, Violence Jack, and Wicked City. And Crying Freeman started in the '80s at least.

I've watched almost all of the Studio Ghibli films, they're great. Been meaning to watch Lupin III since I remember watching bits of it on Animax when I was a kid. Akira was probably the first ever anime I watched, I should go and read the manga since it has some major differences compared to the anime, plus I got quite confused when I first watched the movie so I should invest some time reading the manga then re-watching the movie again.

Thanks a lot for those recommendations, I'll go ahead and look em' up.

At 8/15/13 10:15 AM, Jackho wrote: One more thing since you mentioned Hellsing dubbed, I despise the Eva english dub. Absolutely ruins it in my opinion. The Jap voice of Shinji sounds like a 14 year old boy, while the english version sounds like a 30 year old man doing a half assed impression of an irritating and whiny 14 year old boy. It's your choice, but the jap voices are vastly superior.

Yeah, I looked up the dubbed version of Evangelion and it's not that great, I'll go ahead and grab the sub versions.

So your watching order is just all 26 episodes -> The End of Evangelion -> Rebuild of Evangelion. Eva is my favorite anime by far, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks bro. :)

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-17 21:47:17

After a really long dry spell of not being able to enjoy anime I watched The Tatami Galaxy and loved it. Anyone have any recs of stuff that's similar in terms of unique art style and the oddball way of storytelling?

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-18 22:54:56

Hey guys, I made a new short about the most important issue in the world - DUBS VS. SUBS. Check it out!

Who's Afraid of Sailor Moon?

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-18 23:31:57

At 8/18/13 10:54 PM, Frank wrote: Hey guys, I made a new short about the most important issue in the world - DUBS VS. SUBS. Check it out!

"Anime butts drive me nuts" is the best thing i've heard in a while

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-19 03:57:17

At 8/18/13 10:54 PM, Frank wrote: Hey guys, I made a new short about the most important issue in the world - DUBS VS. SUBS. Check it out!

I prefer dubs

Dub dude had a point, Tatami Galaxy's subs were so fast and so many words compared to the average sub it was actually an issue.

Dubs 4 lyfe (when they're available)

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-19 15:52:49

I'm normally not too keen on anime, but since I got the netflix free trial, I've watched Witchblade (which was great) and I saw some of Burst Angel. BA started out cool despite the use of CGI, but it just falls flat after the east and west thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-19 18:54:42

At 8/17/13 09:47 PM, JaY11 wrote: After a really long dry spell of not being able to enjoy anime I watched The Tatami Galaxy and loved it. Anyone have any recs of stuff that's similar in terms of unique art style and the oddball way of storytelling?

One suggestion is Uchouten Kazoku. It's curently airing, and the original story was written by the same person that wrote the original Tatami Galaxy novel. Seriously ace.

Mind Game is a seriously great film, chock full of absurdist humour and with a fucking mental art style (courtesy of savior of the known universe, Masaaki Yuasa). Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita is a great comedy/slice of life with an incredibly cynical OP, although the art is more typical, and the setting couldn't be further from kyoto university - a post apocalyptic farming village, replete with talking bread and 10 inch high fairies.

But yeah, there's some suggestions. Enjoy!

Also personal update: rewatching planetes to introduce my flatmate to anime (he's only ever watched bleach/naruto/death note/fma before). it's still fucking amazing, one of my favourite anime ever. watch it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-20 11:35:22

At 8/19/13 06:54 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: But yeah, there's some suggestions. Enjoy!

thanks man I'll check these out

Also personal update: rewatching planetes to introduce my flatmate to anime (he's only ever watched bleach/naruto/death note/fma before). it's still fucking amazing, one of my favourite anime ever. watch it.

I liked Planetes a lot but I thought the second half was much better than the first.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-20 16:30:03

At 8/20/13 11:35 AM, JaY11 wrote:
At 8/19/13 06:54 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: But yeah, there's some suggestions. Enjoy!
thanks man I'll check these out

I liked Planetes a lot but I thought the second half was much better than the first.

It was perhaps the second or third anime I ever watched, and back then I preferred the first half, but when I read the manga a couple of years later, I preferred the second half. Not sure whether it was my own preferences changing or just changes in presentation, but yeah.

Either way it's all a cracker. Just watched yuri's ep with him searching for the compass.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 09:05:26

At 8/19/13 03:57 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
I prefer dubs

Dub dude had a point, Tatami Galaxy's subs were so fast and so many words compared to the average sub it was actually an issue.

Dubs 4 lyfe (when they're available)

What if the dubs are absolutely abysmal?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 10:55:41

The issue of really fast subtitles makes me think of Ninja Nonsense. That show was so all over the place I had to watch it dubbed.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 12:45:42

...so for the few who care, did anyone watch the OreImo ending episodes or, more importantly, the fanboy backlash? Cause I did. Ending sucked, fanboy tears were delicious.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 14:13:12

At 8/22/13 12:45 PM, PWJP wrote: ...so for the few who care, did anyone watch the OreImo ending episodes or, more importantly, the fanboy backlash? Cause I did. Ending sucked, fanboy tears were delicious.

I didn't realize the final episodes were out. If I can find a stream I 'll probably watch later tonight. Can't wait.

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 18:36:55

At 8/22/13 09:05 AM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: What if the dubs are absolutely abysmal?

Generally if a dub is bad the anime isn't worth watching in the first place

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 18:43:38

At 8/22/13 06:36 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Generally if a dub is bad the anime isn't worth watching in the first place

You're joking, right?

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 19:05:10

At 8/22/13 06:43 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 8/22/13 06:36 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: Generally if a dub is bad the anime isn't worth watching in the first place
You're joking, right?

I've never watched a good anime with a bad dub

Response to Anime Club 2013-08-22 23:46:02

At 8/22/13 07:05 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I've never watched a good anime with a bad dub

So I take it that you don't watch a lot of old school anime then?

Speaking of which, I wonder what the parameters for an old school anime? Is it the art style or is it a certain date where a respective anime is considered classic? To me, it just seems like that definition of "old school" anime seems to depend on the person, which makes things kind of confusing.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature