00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MAC6 - October

42,050 Views | 459 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 06:32:20

Welcome to the

Monthly Audio Contest 2006 - October X-MAS THEME.

Note that the description of this contest is divided in two posts. No posting until they´re both out, please :)

MAC´s Holy Quest...
- Creating the Monthly Audio Contest has a purpose, a premisse, and that purpose is to bring Flash and Audio artists closer. What we hope to see here is more collaborations between the two, and more Audio Portal audio used in Flash submissions.

Flash artists looking for x-mas songs
- Alot of flash artists are going to start making x-mas submissions soon, and obviously, many of them will be looking for x-mas songs to fulfill their flash. This thread will serve as an “2006 X-mas Audio Collection”, where audios with an x-mas feeling will be listed.

About the Contest this month
- The contest will be the extra fuel that hopefully kickstarts this x-mas collection, and hopefully we´ll get many submissions for the contest alone.
What I´m saying here is that the contest will have a deadline, no more songs accepted for the contest when october turns november, BUT the list will keep getting updated when new songs pops up in the thread even after the contest is done!
This is because we want the x-mas song collection as large as possible (still quality owns quantity, mind you!!!), so that flash artists can get what they want without having to turn to illegal audios in their flash.

Special Audio Requests for Flash artists
- You a flash artist?
- You need a specific x-mas song for your flash?

Then this thread is the place you should venture first!

§ Begin with checking through the list of songs that (in time) exists here.
§ If you can´t find what you´re looking for, make a request in this thread.

Hopefully you´ll be able to hook up with one of many audio artists that hang out in the Audio Forum!

Contest Awards
- I´m proud to announce that Tom Fulp himself will contribute with awards for this contest. More exact information of what that is, will follow.
- Frontpagespots for the highest ranked original song, and highest ranked cover (I suspect alot of covers will enter this contest....).
- A sig-pic with the winners name on it.
- Exactly how the winner will be announced is unclear at this moment, but altr from radiogrounds.com will make a show based on this thread one way or another! More information about this will follow.

Entering the Contest, Basic Rules

# Create a song that you yourself has the spirit of x-mas.
# There is no timelimit for the length of the audio, but it is recommended you keep the length down, as with all audio that have the intention of being used in a flash submission.
# Covers of already existing audios are OK according to the law, but make sure you have read and understood the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. Yes this mean NO illegal sampling WHATSOEVER!!!

1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what´s OK to upload and what´s not, check this old thread. Basicly the conclution is that covers indeed are OK, but that it´s best NOT to upload covers.

2 - Make a song according to these rules, and with that x-mas spirit.

3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.

4 - Go to this thread and post a link to your songpage. You risk of not being in the contest if you do not post links to your songs. Include song name,

5 - If it´s a cover, include the original song title. You should pay tribute to the original artist by mentioning his/hers/theirs name in the descripton, if it doesn´t fit in the songtitle.

6 - For this contest, ONE submission is accepted. This mean that if you want to contribute to the collection, please read through the "The X-mas Audio Collection" part further down.

7 - Don´t come around with crappy alts. And do not breake any of the rules stated in this thread. If we find out you do, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for a time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread too, of course. If there are posts that are unrelevant for the contest/spam, a moderator will be asked to come clean up, meaning your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned.

8 - You should have your submission signed up for the contest in this thread BEFORE october have ended. If you cannot post by one reason or another, PM or e-mail me and enter a valid reason why you can´t do it yourself, and i´ll make sure your contest entry is in.

9 - There will be NO changing of contest audios, unless there have been a mistake one way or another. If that is the case, PM/e-mail me and explain what the deal is. Therefore, make sure that you´re satisfied with your contest entry before submitting it!

10 - If there are many contest entries, we will narrow it down to 20 audios that goes to the second and final stage of the contest. All of these 20 submissions will recive judgement from the judging crew. This is so that we can get a higher judge/audio rating, and thus a more fair judging.

11 - Have fun and eat lots of X-mas food to get in the sprit!!!

More information will follow in my next post.

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 06:33:35

The X-mas Audio Collection
- All songs that are contestants are automaticly in the X-mas Audio Collection List. However even if only one submission is allowed in the contest, we wouldn´t want the limit for the collection to be one song/user.
- If you wish to contribute an audio of yours to the collectionpart during the contest, link the song and add the text "NON CONTESTANT" so it´s clear that you do not wish to have this song in the contest. You only have to do this during october, when the contest is up and running, of course.
- After the contest is over, the list will change appearance. All audios, contestants and non-contestants, will end up in one list, that is divided up in genres. There will be specific notes of what songs are covers, and what are original. In each list update there will also be a link to the page where the final contest scores can be found. The exact appearance will be shown with the first list-update after the contest is over.

Extra notes
-The MAC6 – October is not only for the contest itself. The purpose of this thread serving as a audio collection thread should be taken seriously. All irrelevant chit-chat, spam etc. Will be reported to BBS moderators. I will ask for the moderators to delete irrelevant posts in this thread. This is because after the contest is over, it´s not unrealistic to assume that the thread have turned into a couple of pages. Flash artists looking for audio shouldn´t have to go through piles of irrelevant b/s to find what they want (yes like mentioned, the complete list will be updated as time goes by, even after the contest itself is over, but the past MAC threads have had quite a few irrelevant posts/spam). If you want to chat with your fellow NG´er, use the PM system or why not pay the beloved Audio Forum Lounge visit!

- The judging will be done similiar to the previous MAC´s. If you are interested in judging, PM/e-mail me. The judges who have judged in previous MAC´s will be asked to judge again. Note that if you judge, you are not allowed to compete.

- Rules, guidlines and other things that this contest have, may change as time goes by. If anything changes, you will find out by staying updated to this thread.

- If you have any bright ideas for future MAC´s, don´t be shy to PM/e-mail me with your ideas. If you wish, there will be possibilities making your own "MAC", since I may not have the time to spare to keep this up every month (MAC6 - September did not happen due to too many IRL things for me.).

Prevoius Audio Contest in the Audio Forum

MAC6 - August TANKMEN THEME

MAC6 - July OPEN CONTEST

Heaviest riff ever competition! (2006)

March Contest (2006)

Battle of the Audio Portal (2005)

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 06:36:46

Sweet! sounds like fun! i'm looking forward to this. :)

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 06:59:48

At 10/6/06 06:51 AM, Deflektor76 wrote:
I have a question: if you submit a piece as a NON-CONTESTANT, are you allowed to judge?

Oh yeah, if you do you submit a piece as a NON-CONTESTANT you actually submit to the collection, and is no part of the contest.

Still, judging = no contesting (and vice versa).

Like mentioned, this thread will actually have three purposes;

- 1 Audio contest
- 2 X-mas Audio collection thread
- 3 X-mas Audio request thread for flash artists

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 08:11:52

Shotgun on Feed The World!!!!!

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 08:15:24

I hope you also posted in the flash forum that if they wanted to request an x-mas theme they should come here. I don't think many of them venture here.

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 08:48:42

At 10/6/06 08:15 AM, MaestroRage wrote: I hope you also posted in the flash forum that if they wanted to request an x-mas theme they should come here. I don't think many of them venture here.

No mention in the flash forum, but Tom said he will mention this contest/collection/request thread in the news-section, sooner or later. There will most likely be another mention when the contest is over, and who knows, perhaps some other mentions when christmas is really closing in. If everything goes well, this thread will be a great christmas audio source for flash artists!
As for the flash forum, I´ve tried (not with the MAC) to get attention from them before in different situations, but noone knows me there, so my threads have silently slipped down to the abyss there :-/ (well maybe the threads sucked in the first place, but yeah... :)

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 09:28:25

I suppose you could ask johnnyutah to make a post, as he's a respected flash author.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 10:09:29

can i judge this one? i think im going to sit this MAC out, so PM me and let me know if thats ok

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 10:37:03

Uhmmm.... since I'm a Jehovahs Witness and all, I have no idea what the names of Christmas songs are :S

This might be hard :(

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 12:05:58

At 10/6/06 10:37 AM, BlackNoise wrote: Uhmmm.... since I'm a Jehovahs Witness and all, I have no idea what the names of Christmas songs are :S

This might be hard :(

Oh just think fat old man, dressed up in silly red clothes who likes to touch rudolf´s red nose and you+ll be in the right mood at once. and you´ll BLASPHEMY!!!!11 >:(

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 12:18:50

why can't he just think of a stalker fat guy who likes to watch little children all year long? That got ME into the x-mas mood nearly right away...

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 12:41:49

Guys, I don't want to be an asshole, but Rucklo has gone through a lot of trouble to run the MAC's and he's already asked that we only posts related messages here.

Can we respect him enough to try not to let this topic degenerate into the usual forgeyspamfest?

Additional arguments and/or comments gladly accepted via PM

BBS Signature

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 14:18:11

As you can see from the Halloween Collection 06', flash authors will wait until it's actually halloween to submit.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 14:36:25

At 10/6/06 02:18 PM, Erkie wrote: As you can see from the Halloween Collection 06', flash authors will wait until it's actually halloween to submit.

Really? Thats a bit pointless though. Coz they will be fighting against other flashes in the same night to win. So only one will be good!

Its pointless!

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 14:41:11

At 10/6/06 02:36 PM, TwistedIllusions wrote:
At 10/6/06 02:18 PM, Erkie wrote: As you can see from the Halloween Collection 06', flash authors will wait until it's actually halloween to submit.
Really? Thats a bit pointless though. Coz they will be fighting against other flashes in the same night to win. So only one will be good!

One cause is probably because Tom most likley will add quite a few of the halloween-flashes on the frontpage, and if you post it too soon, it risk going unnoticed and unreckognized as a halloween flash. Also I belive that the contest of the money is chosen from the staff directly, not through the portal system.

But yeah, this is why it´s important that flash authors have access to the proper audio when they need it. We´re slaves, fellow audio artists! :)

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 14:52:19

Just to let everyone know;
LJCoffee´s word should weigh as heavy as mine in everyones eyes, it´s important for you all to know that.

LJCoffee have agreed to, like the previous MAC, be the Chief Judge and he will most likley stay to be a very important part of the future MAC´s as well. This should have been mentioned in the first post, but I was a little late with the requests for help, and haven´t worked out exactly of whom is doing what. I had no 100% yes or no from any crewmember, therefore noone was mentioned.
I will later on present an official list of what crew-member is doing what.

Note to self; Hopefully I will be more then one step ahead for the next MAC I make, so all crew-members know their responsibility and will have it written in the first post. :)
At 10/6/06 01:03 PM, Deflektor76 wrote: Flash artists need some time to make their flashes. By anticipating, we will have a collection to give to them when they are done (did i explained well enough?). This way, they'll have what they need without searching for any famous X-mas songs, illegaly downloaded.
And Halloween period already began. Now it's a bit late. Some of the flashers already done their work and doesn't need halloween music collection.

Yeah, that´s exactly why. It´s all about being one step ahead, and plan things. I decided just after I got the idea for the Tankmen contest to make october a christmas theme, and have a couple ideas for future mac´s aswell :)

I do agree that of course it would be more appropriate to have a Halloween show going on, but, first thing in this thread I spoke about "MAC´s Holy Quest". It´s important to realise that this is a flashsite, and the AP is only the underdog serving the flash artists. Such is the basic thought of the AP, and that is what I base the MAC on, at least until the day the AP gets liberated (if that ever happens, wich I hope not :)

At 10/6/06 12:41 PM, LJCoffee wrote: Guys, I don't want to be an asshole, but Rucklo has gone through a lot of trouble to run the MAC's and he's already asked that we only posts related messages here.

I shall have to listen to that myself, since I kindof started the first bad lead here :D

Can we respect him enough to try not to let this topic degenerate into the usual forgeyspamfest?

That´s spot on what I don´t want. Of course you can have a good time and all that jazz, just keep things relevant. As soon as a forgey (explanation of forgey = forum orgey, kindof, and is an expression used here on the AF when one funny remark leads to another, more ppl jumps the bandwaggon and all of a sudden the thread is filled up with homo-erotic jokes, and the main purpose and point of the thread is long gone).

Thanx for stepping up LJ, apparently I shall have to hold my own horses and watch my tounge a little more carefully :)

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 16:18:48

Sounds like a jolly good time.

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-06 16:24:20

At 10/6/06 04:18 PM, PrinceG wrote: Sounds like a jolly good time.

Oh it is!

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-07 04:47:03

Bump-a-de-bump-a-de-bump bump bump

MAC6 FTW.

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-07 06:05:40

At 10/6/06 09:23 PM, Deflektor76 wrote: Ugh! I will have a hard time! I have SEVEN piece that could possibly be X-mas themed! I will have to work on the seven! Wish me luck ^_^!

Good luck!

More relevant, now. Don't you fear there will be just a few submissions? I mean, making a X-mas themed isn't the stuff of some of the AP artists (at least, that's what i think), so there is a risk of having not much to suggest to the Flash artists, and then being turned ridiculous.

Well, I am suspecting there will be alot of covers in thisone. And you can make covers in many different way. For example you can make a cover of a known x-mas song and make trance, metal or whatever out of it. But it´s also possible to take a non-x-mas song and turn it into the right feeling, you know, with bells, some "ho ho ho´s", some pitched santa´s li´l helper voices in the chorus or whatever. As long as the song "sounds" x-mas, everything goes!!!

At 10/7/06 04:47 AM, Khuskan wrote: Bump-a-de-bump-a-de-bump bump bump

My god, you actually had to bump it? was it that far down? wtf, and it´s launched yesterday!
Well I take it everyone is busy making x-mas songs, then? :D

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-07 13:59:19

YAY RUCK! Thanks for putting this all together, once more. I shall resurface from the murky depths of university and take part!

a

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-07 21:36:16

If i throw some jingle bells over the drums on the song im working on now would it be conisdered XMASish?
Maybe il enter next month...

Kick ass work btw, Rucklo, putting all this together. Show your dedication to newgrounds

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 06:50:01

At 10/7/06 09:36 PM, RyeGuyHead wrote: If i throw some jingle bells over the drums on the song im working on now would it be conisdered XMASish?
Maybe il enter next month...

You´ll be out of contest if you enter next month though, but it´ll be in the collection :)

I´ve got a challenge for ya;
Megaman2, first Wiley level, remix x-mas style. Anyone up for that, eh? :)

Wakka wakka

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 13:22:28

At 10/8/06 06:50 AM, Rucklo wrote: I´ve got a challenge for ya;
Megaman2, first Wiley level, remix x-mas style. Anyone up for that, eh? :)

You said Megaman, I'll check it out! No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

Now where's me emulator...

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 15:47:49

It's kinda neat that Tom actually acknowledges this little contest of ours, and will mention it sometime in a News thread... but the only reason he's doing that is because this contest will be "a good source for flash artists to get their free Xmas songs and loops." Meh, whatever... publicity is still publicity, right?

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 18:57:41

At 10/8/06 03:47 PM, Kirizzle wrote: but the only reason he's doing that is because this contest will be "a good source for flash artists to get their free Xmas songs and loops."

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that whole point of the AP's existance? Though to be fair it has become somewhat a separate entity.

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 19:05:09

I think that I might do this.

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-08 19:42:59

Just a question... please PM me, rucklo. Is radiogrounds now covering the Mac6 shows, so that the core podcast no longer has to do it?

Response to MAC6 - October 2006-10-09 07:36:09

At 10/8/06 06:57 PM, Grumbleduke wrote:
At 10/8/06 03:47 PM, Kirizzle wrote: but the only reason he's doing that is because this contest will be "a good source for flash artists to get their free Xmas songs and loops."
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that whole point of the AP's existance? Though to be fair it has become somewhat a separate entity.

Grumbleduke is right on thisone, go read up on your NG history :)
Basicly, this is why I try to make the contests as "flash-friendly" as possible, because if that is done, we´ll have the support of the staff, and well... aint gonna get far without that, eh? :)
Also I belive in the AP being a resource for flashartists, simply because that is what makes the AP unique compared with other amateur audio websites.
I think it would be a shame if the AP would turn to become what the tendencies unfortunatley are, that is a "common music portal". I sincerley hope that in future updates the AP will reward loops and such in a smart way!
So, the MAC serves as a "fighter" for this cause, and for a bigger and better AP!

At 10/8/06 07:05 PM, API wrote: I think that I might do this.

Do it, doit DOOO IIIITTTT

At 10/8/06 07:42 PM, G9 wrote: Just a question... please PM me, rucklo. Is radiogrounds now covering the Mac6 shows, so that the core podcast no longer has to do it?

There´s room for everyone, perhaps it could be an idea if you contacted altr and asked him what´s up, since he´ll be doing live shows and such. If you could cover different parts/angles, there´d be room for all!
At this point I´ve only asked altr if he´s up for it, what he have planned I do not know (he probably don´t either so far:)

Wakka wakka