00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,914,552 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 15:34:28

At 4/11/08 02:38 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 4/11/08 02:19 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: What's so bad about animation studios?
I sat through a 90 minute conference where they explained how Pixar worked. The jist of their summary is that everyone has a very particular job... the guy I talked to was in charge of "prop design" where he made tables and lamps all day. I just can't imagine a job where I am doing one specific thing. I like being part of the whole process and not in charge of making clouds for several years of my life.

That sounds really lame. Thats partly why I enjoy programming, I would say animating but I can't animate, etc. Its not always the same. However, if you've just gotta do the same stuff over and over - that must be boring as hell and totally loses its appeal.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 15:51:34

RE: Getting to know you
This is silly but I suppose it beats talking about mullets.

Bio: I live in Virginia, although considering how vastly different the bottom half of VA is i generally prefer to say i live right outside of DC. Which is true either way. I went college in Wash DC. I love city life.. i like polution, i like cars, i like to live in an environment where everyones trying to get theirs... as opposed to laid back lazy towns. I am like concrete jungles as opposed to lush green rolling hills. I'm currently a sr. designer. I used to wish to be animator, now im kinda happy im not. My personality is hardcore about structure, maybe thats why i like the city because its very rigid and 'orderly' in how its laid out. I'm happy that my job and my things i do for fun are in seperate buckets.
I started flash in 2000ish. I had animated prior to Flash using a program called disney animation studio. It came in those 5 1/4 floppy disks that most of you probably never seen before.

oh and im not mexican. im originally from bolivia... google it. youll find its nowhere near mexico. faggots.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:05:31

Favorite peoplez on NG

Ooopsie I forgot that part. My favorite artists change often depending on my mood... but i think artists that make me the most happy are ones that are yet to blow up... people like Ansel or ShirtTurtle, maybe even NathanMilburn. People that have like this insane raw talent... its like exciting or something to be around when they are nobodies (sorry im not dissing yalllll) <3
I think my favorite actionscripters in general are the ones that live by the mantra less is more. I think Fulp in his early days was like that. his little stupid games like crazy shuttle and domokun smashfest.. are very crude but they have such a great understanding on what feel's good to a gamer... its not like omagad let me make this blur and pan just because i can.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:06:51

At 4/11/08 03:51 PM, Luis wrote: This is silly but I suppose it beats talking about mullets.

Mullets...WHERE?!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:26:15

Getting to know the Regs

Name: Nick
Short Bio: Started flash March '07, kinda hoping just to submit a little game to NG, but became a hobby for me. I was born in Cheektowaga, NY, in the ghetto section and now live in the rich part of town. I enjoy everything about winter, snow, hockey, skiing, snowboarding, everything. I spend my free time playing violent video games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:28:08

At 4/11/08 02:11 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote: It's raining McCain

Words fail me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MaP9eiWuX3s

McCain just lost about 10 million votes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:35:51

All this McCain talk is a decent link to a new topic :P

US Politics

Let's not turn this into an argument - I'm just interested to see how people in and outside of the states feel about the way the country's headed.

From where I'm standing, it looks like world opinion on the US is pretty likely to improve over the next four years. All of the Presidential candidates are a massive upgrade on the current guy - even McCain doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a right-wing nut-job as his alternatives (actually, I was looking at his life story, and he seems like the ultimate example of manliness).

As a side note, you Yanks might be better equipped to clarify this for me - does Obama actually have any policies?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 16:50:40

At 4/11/08 03:51 PM, Luis wrote: oh and im not mexican. im originally from bolivia... google it. youll find its nowhere near mexico. faggots.

Haha oh wow, is the Bolivian president like your Dad or something? He looks like you in like 20 years time =P

<3

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 17:46:37

Quick AS2 Question

I'm messing around with custom right click menus in Flash, and even though I've asked Google and looked in the help files I still can't find a solution to this: How do I send arguments (or parameters, whatever) to a function from a menu item in the context menu? Is it even possible?

Example:

function setQuality(q:String):Void {
	_quality = q;
}
[...]
var myItem = new ContextMenuItem("Quality: High", setQuality<strong>("HIGH")</strong>, true);
[...]

This gives me an error, but I think that you can see what I'm after. Of course I can simply create a function for each quality setting, but I'm always trying to make my code as effective as possible, and it feels like this might be good to know in the future.

Also, I leveled up yesterday.. I really do like my brand new, shiny, nunchuks ^__^

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 17:49:27

Make a function Dreamworx. It's only going to be another three lines.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 17:50:25

At 4/11/08 05:46 PM, DreamworX wrote: setQuality("HIGH")

Hmm, I was wondering if that would work or not.. It's actually pretty obvious that it wouldn't though, now that I think about it XP

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 18:00:56

At 4/11/08 05:49 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Make a function Dreamworx. It's only going to be another three lines.

Well, it would work, and in this particular case there wouldn't be much more code.. However, you never know when you want to reuse loads of code for actions available through the right click menu, or use a complex function (with parameters) that you use somewhere else in the Flash, so that's why I would like to know if there's another solution ;P

Doesn't seem like there is a way though, I find absolutely nothing in the help files about arguments/parameters in the ContextMenuItem class :/

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 18:18:32

At 4/11/08 04:06 PM, NG-Unit wrote:
At 4/11/08 03:51 PM, Luis wrote: This is silly but I suppose it beats talking about mullets.
Mullets...WHERE?!

Your silly. :P

Fav part of the getin' to know thing

My fav artists are... difficult. They tend to change every few months. I really enjoy MindChamber's, BoMToons', The-Swain's, and Luis' stuff.

But my love will always be with Tom Fulp in his early days. Ahh, those first few Pico games along with that seal clubbin' click game always crack me up.

For programmers... lol, never thought of it... Ah! The dude with the monkey display pic -- MoonKey! He did the coding for Jazza's PALIDIN game. ^^

Also, MULLET! MULLET! MULLET! MULLET! Their a pretty cool fish eh guys? :D

Love you too Luis. :3

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 18:26:44

Dammit, I thought we were talking about the hair mullet

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 18:29:42

I was going to get a mullet once.....I was really glad I didn't.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 19:07:37

Getting to Know You
Hello John :D

Short Bio: I am senior in high school and I live in West Grove, PA. I started Flash in 2004 due to my best friend's older brother experimenting with Flash 4; he was the first person in my community that I know of to use Flash. I wanted to go to college at Kutztown University for Graphic Design like Jeff/JohnnyUtah did, but I realized that a teaching degree combined with an art minor will open more doors. Thusly, I am going to Millersville instead for education. I like drawing, playing guitar (badly), playing video games, watching anime, reading books (holy shit, I know), and cooking (again, holy shit). My favorite NG artists are ZekeySpaceyLizard, rtil, Stamper, and Lu-lu. Game developers I like are TrueDarkness, Skeik-Sprite and monkokio.

Old-ish Faves anyone?

Cigarette by LeftFootFirst

One of my favorite Ben Folds Five songs (not to mention my favorite piano song aside from Moonlight Sonata), done beautifully. Ed Skudder always has great artwork, fluid animation, and flawless technique. One of my favorite artists on NG.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 19:09:33

At 4/11/08 03:51 PM, Luis wrote: I had animated prior to Flash using a program called disney animation studio. It came in those 5 1/4 floppy disks that most of you probably never seen before.

Sorry for the double post, but, HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I FUCKING REMEMBER THAT! MY NEIGHBOR HAD THAT! FUCKING BLAST FROM MY PAST NYUCCA!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:09:04

Why I Like Newgrounds
Because sometimes it's awesome like that.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:16:09

At 4/11/08 08:09 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Why I Like Newgrounds

Please note, john took this screen shot over three hours ago, and waited for this moment to post it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:18:41

At 4/11/08 08:16 PM, Coaly wrote: Please note, john took this screen shot over three hours ago, and waited for this moment to post it.

It's because despite all his AS knowledge, he can't work the crop tool in photoshop.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:26:21

At 4/11/08 08:16 PM, Coaly wrote: Please note, john took this screen shot over three hours ago, and waited for this moment to post it.

Everyone knows there's a three hour time difference between California and Pennsylvania, CMON.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:31:22

Wow thats pretty awesome, was it like planned? Im guessing so :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 20:44:01

At 4/11/08 08:26 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Everyone knows there's a three hour time difference between California and Pennsylvania, CMON.

You've been had, now drop the gun cowboy.

At 4/11/08 08:33 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Why I Like Newgrounds
mmmm...look at that hot ass...

Hay hay, I'm not just a peace of meet you can stair at and get a boner in public, like Luis.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 21:34:52

At 4/11/08 08:44 PM, Coaly wrote:
Hay hay, I'm not just a peace of meet you can stair at and get a boner in public, like Luis.

mmm that sexy beast < 3

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 22:11:32

hehe you probably made mindchambers day.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 22:34:39

I just saw the Philadelphia Orchestra play the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

IT.

WAS.

INCREDIBLE.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-11 22:34:55

Coolio-Niato, you get luff <3

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-12 01:05:31

I liek Mudkipz and wanna fuck Tom in the ass

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-12 01:06:00

At 4/12/08 01:05 AM, sexual-clarinet wrote: I liek Mudkipz and wanna fuck Tom in the ass

o rly?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-04-12 01:06:32

can i not leave my computer alone????
fuck... my friend got on and posted..
sorry for the inconveinence

BBS Signature