• 64,738 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-12 12:03:20 (edited 2017-07-12 12:13:16) Reply

I didn't notice it earlier, but wonderfl seems to have been discontinued silently. Their website now redirects to a link for their parent company site, stating it ended on 2017/3/31.

Also, I'm currently thinking of making a dynamically-generated audio application; which language should I use for it? Java and AS3 seem like good contenders - despite AS3's general weakness compared to Java, it apparently has native support for dynamic audio. It is worth noting that Java does too, though. I might go with Java just since I haven't done much with it earlier and I want to get my feet wet with it, but are there any potential setbacks that I might encounter on this part then?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-15 18:19:08 Reply

Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-15 23:05:46 (edited 2017-07-15 23:07:02) Reply

At 7/15/17 06:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

spitballin...

A virtual version of that game where one person puts their hands on yours and you have to slap them before they pull away (Picture for clarity). 2 players - left/right joysticks control the hands. 2 for flinching.

Ouroboros: Snake but the object is to touch your tail when enemies or things are inside the created loop as a means of devouring them

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-16 00:12:56 Reply

At 7/15/17 06:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: Someone give me a small game idea that I can work on so I don't burn myself out on this roguelite. No platformers. No ideas that I will feature-creep the hell out of.

Ludum Dare?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-16 00:16:40 Reply

At 7/16/17 12:12 AM, egg82 wrote: Ludum Dare?

Bigger than LD but smaller than RPG.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-29 13:38:42 Reply

Well flash is going to cease development in 2020, and Adobe has no plans to open source it.

As I get older I realize how crazy it is that we trust these companies so much to align themselves with our interests. Unity is the same rodeo all over again.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-30 09:57:47 Reply

At 7/29/17 01:38 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Well flash is going to cease development in 2020, and Adobe has no plans to open source it.

As I get older I realize how crazy it is that we trust these companies so much to align themselves with our interests. Unity is the same rodeo all over again.

something tells me that Unity won't last anywhere near as long as Flash, though. And tbh, only the flash web player is going to be abandoned, much like another language starting with "Ja" and ending with "va" - apparently Adobe still has plans to continue flash for AIR.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-30 14:10:20 Reply

At 7/30/17 09:57 AM, Gimmick wrote: something tells me that Unity won't last anywhere near as long as Flash, though. And tbh, only the flash web player is going to be abandoned, much like another language starting with "Ja" and ending with "va" - apparently Adobe still has plans to continue flash for AIR.

Might as well use C#, then. Since I created a framework that makes creating and moving a circle (or sprite from a sprite-sheet) around the screen just as easy as Flash, I don't see why I would want AIR any more. Hell, you can even skip my framework and use SFML directly with only a few lines of code more.

I want C# or even Java for web. Unity does this, sure, but I want something as ubiquitous as Flash.

[rant]
Instead here we are with JavaScript being the next gamedev language for web. How the hell did we do this to ourselves?
[/rant]

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-07-31 12:49:15 (edited 2017-07-31 12:50:25) Reply

At 7/30/17 02:10 PM, egg82 wrote: I want C# or even Java for web. Unity does this, sure, but I want something as ubiquitous as Flash.

You mean Silverlight or Java applets? Yeah, because that went so well. I guess Flash had its advantage because of the faster VM startup compared to Java, and, well Java applets had the same security issues that Flash did, although I don't remember exactly why or when Java web applets died out. As for silverlight, well...it never took off to begin with.

[rant]
Instead here we are with JavaScript being the next gamedev language for web. How the hell did we do this to ourselves?
[/rant]

We're a buncha masochists.
But the real reason? I'm betting it's because of mobile. JS is supported by all browsers, and so it should be universally accessible, right?
...right?

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-01 14:57:44 Reply

At 7/30/17 02:10 PM, egg82 wrote: Instead here we are with JavaScript being the next gamedev language for web. How the hell did we do this to ourselves?

Typescript is awesome, use that :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-02 12:35:03 Reply

At 8/1/17 02:57 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 7/30/17 02:10 PM, egg82 wrote: Instead here we are with JavaScript being the next gamedev language for web. How the hell did we do this to ourselves?

Looks vaguely like AS, nice

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-02 14:41:41 Reply

At 8/2/17 12:35 PM, Gimmick wrote:

Typescript vs Haxe, written by one of the Haxe maintainers: https://blog.onthewings.net/2015/08/05/typescript-vs-haxe/

Interesting browsing through this two years later because Haxe is finally adding short lambdas now, plus other changes.

Still no support for the or-equals ||= operator though
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-02 14:45:59 Reply

At 8/1/17 02:57 PM, Rustygames wrote: Typescript is awesome, use that :)

I took a quick glance at it. Looks pretty good, actually!
Not sure how it handles multithreading, file I/O, or generics though.

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-05 05:47:31 Reply

Maybe it's just me, but I've found out that there are blocking modal dialogs available for AIR which don't interfere with the UI thread. If you want to test it out, install the WindowsMessageBox ANE and call MessageBox.show(); no code will run until the message box closes, and yet, you can interact with the stage and potentially open more dialogs.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-09 19:53:01 (edited 2017-08-09 19:53:11) Reply

I had 3 PRs in a row for OpenFL TextField-related stuff. There are so many edge cases in text...

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-16 12:32:51 Reply

At 8/9/17 07:53 PM, MSGhero wrote: I had 3 PRs in a row for OpenFL TextField-related stuff. There are so many edge cases in text...

Is everything over there coded in Haxe? How do you contribute to OpenFL? I've been meaning to get started, but I'm confused as where and how to.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-16 14:41:04 Reply

At 8/16/17 12:32 PM, Gimmick wrote: Is everything over there coded in Haxe? How do you contribute to OpenFL? I've been meaning to get started, but I'm confused as where and how to.

Yes. So the way it works is that the Lime library hooks into SDL and all that low level stuff. Lime itself is written in Haxe, but it uses Haxe magic to interface with CPP libraries. (It gives you an API to interface with CPP libraries, so you're never actually touching CPP.)

OpenFL is Lime but with the Flash API on top of it. It's completely written in Haxe, basically interfacing with the Lime API. There are certain platform specific parts, like "js.Lib.browser.console.log()", but you're still writing those bits with Haxe.

Was there something in particular you wanted to contribute?

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-17 10:37:12 Reply

At 8/16/17 02:41 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 8/16/17 12:32 PM, Gimmick wrote:
Yes. [...] you're still writing those bits with Haxe.

Hmm, I see.

Was there something in particular you wanted to contribute?

No, not particularly. Just been interested in it and wondering where to start.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-18 17:32:57 Reply

At 8/17/17 10:37 AM, Gimmick wrote: No, not particularly. Just been interested in it and wondering where to start.

Have you looked at HaxeFlixel? It's the lib I mainly use, on top of OpenFL.

I'm actually looking at a demo I could create (and maybe upload to the Portal) to get more people interested in the lib. Not sure what to make yet, but none of the existing demos have an audience like this.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-08-27 18:08:38 Reply

At 8/2/17 12:35 PM, Gimmick wrote:

Because AS was basically JS with some 'grown-up' stuff added. TS is that but even further.

At 8/2/17 02:45 PM, egg82 wrote:

Generics are supported.
File I/O is more of an implementation thing; since Typescript just transpiles to js, you can use any js file I/O lib you like (node or electron or whatever, not browser of course).
Multi-threading not sure about, let me know if you find out anything

(PS sorry for late replies, I don't check in often)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

OmarShehata
OmarShehata
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-09-08 20:45:55 Reply

Is anyone doing this game jam?

https://itch.io/jam/a-game-by-its-cover-2017

I absolutely love that it's just like Austin Breed's jam idea many years ago where we had an art jam for a week for artists to create screenshots of fictional games and then a game jam to actually make those games!

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-09-09 22:37:33 Reply

At 9/8/17 08:45 PM, OmarShehata wrote: Is anyone doing this game jam?

https://itch.io/jam/a-game-by-its-cover-2017

I absolutely love that it's just like Austin Breed's jam idea many years ago where we had an art jam for a week for artists to create screenshots of fictional games and then a game jam to actually make those games!

"Many years ago" wow it was, wasn't it. Maybe NG could do one like that, individual art/audio/writing jams that all inspire a game jam (@TomFulp). http://austinbreed.newgrounds.com/news/post/848488

I'm getting a lot better at coding up prototypes quickly, so I might have to jump in on the next one.

Alternative: my graveyard of prototypes is growing, so I have many to pull from
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-09-14 16:33:49 Reply

At 9/9/17 10:37 PM, MSGhero wrote: I'm getting a lot better at coding up prototypes quickly, so I might have to jump in on the next one.

Speaking of which, Pizza Jam hosted by some people in r/gamedev starts tomorrow and lasts two weeks.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-09-14 21:45:38 Reply

At 9/14/17 04:33 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 9/9/17 10:37 PM, MSGhero wrote: I'm getting a lot better at coding up prototypes quickly, so I might have to jump in on the next one.
Speaking of which, Pizza Jam hosted by some people in r/gamedev starts tomorrow and lasts two weeks.

Free pizza!

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-10-22 19:53:07 Reply

why'd y'all let this fall off the first page of the forum?

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-10-22 20:55:48 Reply

At 10/22/17 07:53 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: why'd y'all let this fall off the first page of the forum?

Sorry Tyler.

I made my first successful game jam game recently: https://xendran.itch.io/transmute

It's a bit of a mess, so I'm probably going to fix it up a bit to be more playable before uploading elsewhere. Got 3rd in the jam, and it's the first game I've finished in a few years, first game made with Haxe. CPP export helped us out a ton, as the designer was able to rapidly iterate the level data CSVs, but then we also had a web version for easily sharing builds.

I just finished moving across the country, so I haven't had much time to program or post since then (I used less than half of the allotted jam time), but I'm getting back into things now. Probably time to start posting again on Twitter and here.

Working with a dedicated designer was pretty fun. My previous projects have had an artist+designer person, which is different. We used OpenGameArt in the jam, which isn't ideal, but who cares.

• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-10-29 02:09:29 Reply

At 10/22/17 08:55 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 10/22/17 07:53 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: why'd y'all let this fall off the first page of the forum?
Sorry Tyler.

I made my first successful game jam game recently: https://xendran.itch.io/transmute

It's a bit of a mess, so I'm probably going to fix it up a bit to be more playable before uploading elsewhere. Got 3rd in the jam, and it's the first game I've finished in a few years, first game made with Haxe. CPP export helped us out a ton, as the designer was able to rapidly iterate the level data CSVs, but then we also had a web version for easily sharing builds.

I just finished moving across the country, so I haven't had much time to program or post since then (I used less than half of the allotted jam time), but I'm getting back into things now. Probably time to start posting again on Twitter and here.

Working with a dedicated designer was pretty fun. My previous projects have had an artist+designer person, which is different. We used OpenGameArt in the jam, which isn't ideal, but who cares.

*drunk post*

I died 20 times before I could get more than 10 tiles up. Game looks cool. But too many mechanics are introduced too fast. I had no clue what any of the tiles were. In the first screen. I see spikes (?). Moving tiles that took many tried to figure out how to cross. Tiles that block my path. Purple (pink?) tiles that shoot and kill me. Water tiles (blue tiles?) that fill the bottom until I am dead. And more tiles I think. I don't expect this to be a modern Super Mario Stage that perfectly teaches me a mechanic and expands on it. But I cant be introduced to so many mechanics in the first screen so fast. Makes for a frustrating introduction.

Making Game Jam games is cool though. I need to make moooore.

I quit my current employer this week. Moving to a smaller (50 person?) mobile company. Thank Christ. I might be a sellout, but godamnit, I am trying to make better games as an adult. That's all I can ask for I suppose.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-10-29 09:32:47 Reply

At 10/29/17 02:09 AM, 23450 wrote: I died 20 times before I could get more than 10 tiles up. Game looks cool. But too many mechanics are introduced too fast. I had no clue what any of the tiles were. In the first screen. I see spikes (?). Moving tiles that took many tried to figure out how to cross. Tiles that block my path. Purple (pink?) tiles that shoot and kill me. Water tiles (blue tiles?) that fill the bottom until I am dead. And more tiles I think. I don't expect this to be a modern Super Mario Stage that perfectly teaches me a mechanic and expands on it. But I cant be introduced to so many mechanics in the first screen so fast. Makes for a frustrating introduction.

Yeah I can barely play it as well. I gave the dedicated designer the ability to quickly iterate levels, so he came up with this complicated “you almost need to be frame perfect” one. I had to disable dying to test the features that occur later on because I couldn’t get there otherwise.

Trunks
Trunks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2017-11-13 16:39:18 Reply

At 8/2/17 02:45 PM, egg82 wrote:

A lot of those things is up to the browser implementation, because Typescript is just a transpiled superscript of Javascript. If you can't do it in the runtime (browser implementation) you are using, then you won't be able to do it in Typescript, but re: generics, since that is actually a language feature, you can talk more about it--Typescript was made to strongly type Javascript (it looks a lot like C# in practice, actually) so generics are supported in a way that is very reminiscent of C#, a strongly typed language

I use Typescript in the V8 runtime through Node.js so I have a lot of access to multithreading (deferred function execution in a different thread despite JS being single-threaded) and great file I/O (V8 has interfaces for the C++ implementation underneath the hood and therefore native file I/O) -- but it's worth noting I don't make games and Node isn't used for games, I just felt like talking a little on Typescript because I really enjoy it and think it's a great tool even for web game devs

wew