00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dexxterzlab just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,900,170 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-26 13:42:56

At 11/26/13 12:26 AM, egg82 wrote: well, THIS doesn't make any sense... ?

Sure it does, is `update` asynchronous?

Also, it's probably not the best idea to put the draw logic and update logic in the same event loop.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-26 16:05:58

At 11/26/13 01:42 PM, Inglor wrote: Sure it does, is `update` asynchronous?

figured it out just after I posted. Called swapStates (which removes the previous state and loads the next one) at the end of the previous state's update loop, so the next thing it did was call draw. Fixed it by calling create, update, and draw in the swapStates function.

Also, it's probably not the best idea to put the draw logic and update logic in the same event loop.

Fixed it, draw and update are on separate timers with separate, settable variables dictating how fast they run.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-26 18:22:15

Can anyone tell me how to post a game on newgrounds.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-26 20:24:25

At 11/26/13 06:22 PM, Phoenix2001 wrote: Can anyone tell me how to post a game on newgrounds.

Via the project system, though I feel if you're coming here to ask that question you're doing a lot of things wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-27 02:01:20

What've we all been doing this week in terms of games? Specifically playing, but developing works as well.

For me, it's mostly been LoL and a surprise contender for the rest of whatever time I have left, Blacklight: Retribution - honestly i'm not a fan of the FPS genre (actually, I really dislike it) but I've had this multiplayer FPS itch lately that BLR seems to scratch quite nicely.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-27 10:48:14

At 11/27/13 02:01 AM, egg82 wrote: What've we all been doing this week in terms of games? Specifically playing, but developing works as well.

More RPG, but nothing very interesting there. I made a working(!) level editor for a platformer here. Still a bit unsure how I want the temperature mechanic to work. Get too cold and you die seems fine, but I mean hallucinations or hypothermia stuff. And idk how big the game should be.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-27 14:09:22

At 11/27/13 02:01 AM, egg82 wrote: What've we all been doing this week in terms of games? Specifically playing, but developing works as well.

Last weekend I binged out on the new LOZ game for 3DS. It's really good. Probably my game of the year if not top 3.

I've been hacking on a side-project of mine that I am building with a few friends. Not much to show yet, but check it out.

http://civillains.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-27 20:54:35

At 11/27/13 08:27 PM, Innermike wrote: @PrettyMuchBryce

Who is Phillip Dorseman?

He's a former accountant of mine. He helped me get a few deductions on my taxes in 2008 which saved me over 47 dollars. He's my hero, and every morning I wake up and I ask myself, "Am I doing what Mr. Doresman would do today ?". If the answer is no, I hit snooze and go back to sleep.

Actually it's just a random image I found online and I thought the guy looked really funny

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-27 22:37:36

@PrettyMuchBryce

After reading your profile I figured out what I've been missing in my room is a binary print bed sheet. It's not even a want at this point, it's a need.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-28 00:57:07

@InnerMike Do you have a collection of everything I say in image format?

Didn't touch FD or dota today...what a worthless day. Came home for break, so travel + not having my gaming setup caused that.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-28 03:14:07

At 11/28/13 12:04 AM, Innermike wrote:
At 11/27/13 10:37 PM, egg82 wrote: binary print bed sheet.

No bed sheets, but I found something pretty close.
http://www.zazzle.com/binary_poster-228298067881002427
(other products section below the image has some neat stuff, too)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-29 23:51:00

"The Reg Lounge... He's dead, Jim."

'nother day, 'nother strangely-made dollar (somehow I keep making these on a single terrible Flash video)
also finally went to get some clothes, I had one pair of jeans and three pairs of underwear left. I have no idea where my underwear went, though I do believe they've found someone else's balls to comfort.

Aaaat any rate it's been a strange couple of days because Turkeys but i'll hopefully be getting back on schedule tomorrow with more content for my channel and more work on the Concerned Joe launcher. I'm almost done with the launcher, guys, I swear D: - I just way-overcomplicated it like I usually do with programming things. Should have some fancy features if that makes up for it.

OH I almost forgot to mention (again) I actually submitted my first AS3 game to the portal a little while back. Made it through with some bumps and bruises, but it made it through. Have a look?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/628973

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 00:09:57

At 11/29/13 11:51 PM, egg82 wrote: Aaaat any rate it's been a strange couple of days because Turkeys but i'll hopefully be getting back on schedule tomorrow with more content for my channel and more work on the Concerned Joe launcher. I'm almost done with the launcher, guys, I swear D:

Slide us a copy of the launcher so we don't have to pay omar.

I can't tell if I'm being very productive. I don't have my mechanical keyboard, so typing isn't as fun and I can't dota. I don't have my second monitor, so distractions are a bigger deal. My chair is broken, so I can't be comfortable while coding. I got started with saving game data (mainly just implementing IExternalizable), but that hasn't been much.

my keyboard has cherry blues, so typing is extremely annoying to everyone nearby which is also fun :D
maaaaybe why my freshman roommate hated me

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 00:13:50

At 11/30/13 12:09 AM, MSGhero wrote: Slide us a copy of the launcher so we don't have to pay omar.

With the system they have, getting a free copy of the launcher won't really get you anything xD
So, yeah. You COULD pirate the game, but no (otherwise free) updates if you do D:

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 00:24:16

At 11/30/13 12:13 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/30/13 12:09 AM, MSGhero wrote: Slide us a copy of the launcher so we don't have to pay omar.
With the system they have, getting a free copy of the launcher won't really get you anything xD
So, yeah. You COULD pirate the game, but no (otherwise free) updates if you do D:

@4urentertainment @3D-xelu I see how it is. For all my future games, I'm gonna check for ng username. If it finds yours, the game will stop and you won't be able to play it until you pay me.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 12:45:08

At 11/30/13 12:24 AM, MSGhero wrote: @4urentertainment @3D-xelu I see how it is. For all my future games, I'm gonna check for ng username. If it finds yours, the game will stop and you won't be able to play it until you pay me.

hah! :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 13:23:28

At 11/30/13 12:24 AM, MSGhero wrote: @4urentertainment @3D-xelu I see how it is. For all my future games, I'm gonna check for ng username. If it finds yours, the game will stop and you won't be able to play it until you pay me.

Now that's just downright evil.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 17:15:33

At 11/29/13 11:51 PM, egg82 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/628973

The keyboard randomly stopped working in the middle of the game so I crashed :(

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 17:33:35

At 11/30/13 05:15 PM, Rustygames wrote: The keyboard randomly stopped working in the middle of the game so I crashed :(

D: I heard about this once or twice but was never able to reproduce it or figure out what was causing it. To be fair, the programming for it is shite compared to what I should have done but I didn't think it was going to be as complex as it turned out to be in the end (after everyone's suggestions)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 18:31:01

At 11/30/13 05:33 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/30/13 05:15 PM, Rustygames wrote: The keyboard randomly stopped working in the middle of the game so I crashed :(
D: I heard about this once or twice but was never able to reproduce it or figure out what was causing it. To be fair, the programming for it is shite compared to what I should have done but I didn't think it was going to be as complex as it turned out to be in the end (after everyone's suggestions)

Just press the opposite direction you're going and things fuck up. That's probably how to reproduce

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 18:32:41

Actually it's holding down keys which freezes it

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 18:58:48

At 11/30/13 06:32 PM, Rustygames wrote: Actually it's holding down keys which freezes it

ooooooohhhhhhhh fuuuuuuck. I used key down events instead of key up. I'll just get it to check the last value in the vector and see if it's the same key.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 19:17:11

At 11/30/13 06:58 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/30/13 06:32 PM, Rustygames wrote: Actually it's holding down keys which freezes it
ooooooohhhhhhhh fuuuuuuck. I used key down events instead of key up. I'll just get it to check the last value in the vector and see if it's the same key.

Use MSGhero's keyboard class. Why reinvent the wheel.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 19:40:16

At 11/30/13 07:17 PM, kkots wrote:
At 11/30/13 06:58 PM, egg82 wrote:
Use MSGhero's keyboard class. Why reinvent the wheel.

My goal from 2 years ago was for someone to say that about something I made. Boom.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-30 22:29:51

At 11/30/13 07:17 PM, kkots wrote: Use MSGhero's keyboard class. Why reinvent the wheel.

I actually have an acceptable answer to that this time: Because I felt like it :P
I already had a ton of pre-made classes for things I did in that game, but I just felt like making new ones. And I was too lazy to go hunting or the other classes. Yeah, my logic's a bit warped :3

At 11/30/13 07:40 PM, MSGhero wrote: My goal from 2 years ago was for someone to say that about something I made. Boom.

grats :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-01 01:10:20

The Launcher! EET LIIIIIIIIVES!

also i'm still fixing Snake. By which I mean I looked for the project for half a second in the file browser and gave up because a YouTube video showed up in my sub box. I'll get 'round to it in a few, after this video and most likely some sleep.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-01 06:12:11

At 12/1/13 01:10 AM, egg82 wrote: I'll get 'round to it in a few, after this video and most likely some sleep.

Sleep is the biggest waste of time humanity can ever commit. How much time you could have spent working on amazing, ambitious projects, but instead wasted on worthless sleep? How can you even think about sleeping, when you have so many things unfinished, and yet so many plans?

I personally, have not deserved sleep. I try to resist it until I collapse.
Then I get bad marks at university...
But at least the projects are going somewhere, and at a much faster pace than normal.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-01 14:41:49

At 12/1/13 06:12 AM, kkots wrote: How much time you could have spent working on amazing, ambitious projects, but instead wasted on worthless sleep?

You will die if you don't sleep, so it's not exactly worthless. You will also work significantly less efficiently if you're deprived of sleep, so it's counter-productive to deliberately avoid it.

At 12/1/13 06:12 AM, kkots wrote: I personally, have not deserved sleep. I try to resist it until I collapse.

I don't recommend doing that, but, hell, it's your health.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-01 22:00:22

At 12/1/13 02:30 PM, Innermike wrote: Do you genuinely think you'll make adequate use of all the time you actually will have awake in your life?

At least something will be done. Much better than nothing. Because when I'm being normal, nothing gets done, so I suppose this is the way to go.

At 12/1/13 02:41 PM, Diki wrote: You will die if you don't sleep, so it's not exactly worthless. You will also work significantly less efficiently if you're deprived of sleep, so it's counter-productive to deliberately avoid it.

That's what makes me think that sleeping is OK.
I guess you're right. But then I'd have to fix my daily schedule. Because it's got messed up from 3 years of additional courses (that were going at evening, on top of school, which is at morning + Flash coding at night)

At 12/1/13 06:12 AM, kkots wrote: I personally, have not deserved sleep. I try to resist it until I collapse.
I don't recommend doing that, but, hell, it's your health.

Well, usually at these very moments I achieve the most results. Maybe I simply do not know how bad it actually is for health.

But I agree, this is a problem that should be fixed.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 09:03:58

At 12/2/13 01:13 AM, Innermike wrote: Have you ever been awake for more than 48 hours?

No, because even if I don't get "official" sleep on bed, then I at least faint right on the workplace, for indefinite time, and it's like having good sleep. So it's cheating, and the answer is no. But yeah, there were periods of 2 days when I wasn't touching the bed. Like, one day I was trying to make myself work, the next day I was trying to stay awake in order to switch my sleeping schedule to normal (trying to "survive" until night). That was pretty difficult. So I decided to just work at night and sleep for short periods of time whenever I have the chance. I'm not all-out against sleep, I'm for minimizing it, and making use of the night time, for example.

And now what Diki said maid me confident that I should fix this. So I now I'm trying to do everything at day and sleep at night. Just trying to find the right time for when to go to bed, to get enough and non-excessive sleep.
Thank you guys.