00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ekdynasty115 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,913,576 Views | 60,181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 18:38:32

P and othersss. Is this a good intro? lagging at all for anyone?? I had it originally at 30fps but just up it to 60 fps cause was a little slow when i tested it locally. Once i uploaded it, and played it in the browser. It was fast and did not lag at all.

PS: Actually used stuff I learned in a data structures class last year to hold the particles in a linked list :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 18:55:00

At 12/2/13 06:38 PM, swishcheese wrote: P and othersss. Is this a good intro? lagging at all for anyone?? I had it originally at 30fps but just up it to 60 fps cause was a little slow when i tested it locally. Once i uploaded it, and played it in the browser. It was fast and did not lag at all.

PS: Actually used stuff I learned in a data structures class last year to hold the particles in a linked list :D

That's pretty sweet. Can you make it repeat on click? Flash lags at the beginning, so I can't really tell if it's lagging at all. Probably not, though.

you could use scout to see how badly it'll mangle p's computer

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 19:06:38

At 12/2/13 06:55 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 12/2/13 06:38 PM, swishcheese wrote: P and othersss. Is this a good intro? lagging at all for anyone?? I had it originally at 30fps but just up it to 60 fps cause was a little slow when i tested it locally. Once i uploaded it, and played it in the browser. It was fast and did not lag at all.

That's pretty sweet. Can you make it repeat on click? Flash lags at the beginning, so I can't really tell if it's lagging at all. Probably not, though.
you could use scout to see how badly it'll mangle p's computer

Sure thing

Looks to me it takes some time in the beginning to initialize everything, and then runs smooth.

hmmm. whats scout??

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 19:34:04

At 12/2/13 07:06 PM, swishcheese wrote: Looks to me it takes some time in the beginning to initialize everything, and then runs smooth.

yeah, looked about 40 FPS at the start of your particles. Why not use FLiNT?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-02 19:52:56

At 12/2/13 07:06 PM, swishcheese wrote: Sure thing

Looks to me it takes some time in the beginning to initialize everything, and then runs smooth.

hmmm. whats scout??

Well, I meant for the content to restart and the fps meter to persist, but w/e.

Scout is third on the list of amazing free things you will want to make flash (flex sdk and flashdevelop being the first two). This might make for a good buzzfeed "article."

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 13:42:27

At 12/3/13 01:22 PM, PSvils wrote: I keep writing engines, but no games... :/

I know, right? I think it's just that we bury ourselves in the fun aspects of things and avoid the boring stuff like importing images and splitting sprite sheets up for animations.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 13:53:15

At 12/3/13 01:42 PM, egg82 wrote: I know, right? I think it's just that we bury ourselves in the fun aspects of things and avoid the boring stuff like importing images and splitting sprite sheets up for animations.

Menus are bad. Embedding images is bad. I usually get artists to split up spritesheets for me to throw into texturepacker, but defining animations is something I hate so much. I have stuff like "addCommonAnimations," "addPrefixedAnimation" and stuff to remove as much typing as possible, but it's still irritating.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 14:19:30

At 12/3/13 01:53 PM, MSGhero wrote: Menus are bad. Embedding images is bad. I usually get artists to split up spritesheets for me to throw into texturepacker, but defining animations is something I hate so much. I have stuff like "addCommonAnimations," "addPrefixedAnimation" and stuff to remove as much typing as possible, but it's still irritating.

I use ZOE. Creates all that for me from a flash timeline. Don't know what I'd do without it :P

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 14:23:50

At 12/3/13 02:19 PM, Rustygames wrote: I use ZOE. Creates all that for me from a flash timeline. Don't know what I'd do without it :P

Well he uses paint.net. I tried zoe, but it didn't give me registration point info or something dumb, so I went with grapefrukt which is alright. Still waiting on bryce to finish his.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 14:36:03

At 12/3/13 02:23 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 12/3/13 02:19 PM, Rustygames wrote: I use ZOE. Creates all that for me from a flash timeline. Don't know what I'd do without it :P
Well he uses paint.net. I tried zoe, but it didn't give me registration point info or something dumb, so I went with grapefrukt which is alright. Still waiting on bryce to finish his.

It's not very well documented, but if you make a clip on stage called "registrationPoint" then it will use that as the ref point :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 15:38:07

At 12/2/13 07:34 PM, egg82 wrote: Why not use FLiNT?

Because I'm a boss.

Actually, I did not realize there was particles engine thing. I mean, I knew there would be, but when i was thinking of the idea my first thought was how I would go about setting up data structure for pixels, rendering the pixel, etc.

And that is good to hear P. Thanks for the test.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-03 17:31:10

You know your programming's good when you code something your artist drew in and instead of finding bugs you're just surprised at what they made.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-05 00:09:16

Finally got around to starting to update my old drivers from '06 and slightly overclock this system.
Could do much more, but i'm lazy. I'll get around to it at some point.

P, you said you were getting a new computer?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-05 11:12:02

At 12/5/13 12:09 AM, egg82 wrote: Finally got around to starting to update my old drivers from '06 and slightly overclock this system.
Could do much more, but i'm lazy. I'll get around to it at some point.

It's a slippery slope. I remember when I first got this system and I just went mad overclocking it. I ended up frying my motherboard somehow. Before that I thought it was my processor so I had to try processors from my dad's and sister's machines and ended up bending the pins on them. Fortunately a pair of tweezers and an hour later I managed to fix the pins.

Component-Entity Systems r gr8!
In the small amount of spare time I have from uni, I finally managed to implement a component-entity system. Before now I always saw everything as hierarchical and would plan my projects that way, but this seems so much nicer. Maybe because it's new to me. Does this get really messy as a game's scope becomes larger? My components are really small and boring, and I can imagine having a lot more than I currently do.

Late to the party much?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-05 12:40:22

At 12/5/13 11:12 AM, Sam wrote: It's a slippery slope. I remember when I first got this system and I just went mad overclocking it. I ended up frying my motherboard somehow. Before that I thought it was my processor so I had to try processors from my dad's and sister's machines and ended up bending the pins on them. Fortunately a pair of tweezers and an hour later I managed to fix the pins.

Wow, I don't think I've ever managed to do that.
No, I take every precautionary measure I possibly can when overclocking, I know the risks. In fact, I don't even overclock my own system. My motherboard has a ton of neat features in it, one of them being a utility that overclocks everything (in safe increments) for me and tests the overclock to make sure there's no missed calculations.

Once when I was a kid and still learning the ropes I tried to hot-swap RAM xD

Right now i'm focusing on the graphics card. For some reason it was being seriously underclocked (like wayyyy the hell underclocked) - managed to fix it and it should be running at normal speeds again. I used a bitcoin miner program to see how many calculations per second I was getting; went from 30 kilohashes/second to about 250. Don't know what that's going to do to my overall framerate, but FurMark is saying some good things so far.

I also finally installed some software that automatically controls all my fans. Ahh, quiet computer :)

BBS Signature

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 13:58:47

At 12/5/13 05:46 PM, egg82 wrote: Hrm. Thoughts?

http://lifehacker.com/which-programming-language-should-i-learn-first-1477153665?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

As I've gotten older I find that the language itself matters less and less and what I'm doing with it matters more. So I would say pick the thing you want to do first, and then learn the language that best performs that task. But this is my perspective as a self starter. :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 14:32:57

http://gafmedia.com/converter/

@prettymuchbryce @rustygames I just saw the video for this, haven't looked into it yet. Maybe you can do games with it too.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 16:14:48

At 12/6/13 02:32 PM, MSGhero wrote: http://gafmedia.com/converter/

@prettymuchbryce @rustygames I just saw the video for this, haven't looked into it yet. Maybe you can do games with it too.

Yeah this looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out. Is it commercial ? It's not immediately obvious.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 16:24:47

At 12/6/13 04:14 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Yeah this looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out. Is it commercial ? It's not immediately obvious.

I saw it while I was waiting for a game of dota to load, so I didn't go into any links. These days, if it doesn't say free in big letters on the landing page, it's not free. The animations are some kind of (starling)displayobject, so they are interactable and game-able.

WHAT IS THE LICENSING MODEL?
We sell licence on per project basis. Please contacts our sales person for more details.

HOW LONG IS FREE PERIOD?
Every registered account is granted 1 free project that includes up to 100 converted animations.

WHAT IS THE ACTUAL PRICING?
Price of per project licence is defined by our sales representative. Discounts may be offered.

HOW I CAN PAY?
We accept PayPal, Google Checkout and bank wire.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 17:15:59

Hmmmmm interesting sales strategy :)

HOW MUCH IS THE PRODUCT ?

idk.. how much you got ?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 18:44:50

public class WorldThing extends BlitWrapper implements IInteractable, ICamerable

One of my favorite songs is becoming more relevant as this rpg progresses: I'm Becoming Insane

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 21:39:23

At 12/6/13 06:44 PM, MSGhero wrote: ICamerable

Gesundheit.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 21:54:14

You camerable? Me not camerable!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 22:01:32

At 12/6/13 09:54 PM, Diki wrote:
You camerable? Me not camerable!

Dear Diary,
Today, all the kids on the forum made fun of me.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 22:12:32

At 12/6/13 10:01 PM, MSGhero wrote: Dear Diary,

This was all pretty priceless :D
I was thinking about making fun of your WorldThing, but then I saw ICamerable :P

Also, LifeHackers' got another programming one. Which is interesting considering they've only done a single coding thing once before (to my memory, at least)
As to the other page, I think what language you learn first should be entirely dependent on who you are. For example, if you're visually inclined and/or need to see visual results quickly, I would recommend picking up AS3. If, on the other hand, you don't mind taking it a bit slow and don't want to learn a whole bunch of extra stuff, i'd recommend Java. Any way you look at it, C-based languages shouldn't be the very first thing you reach for.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 22:27:53

At 12/6/13 10:01 PM, MSGhero wrote:
Dear Diary,

Where's Mike? He's got a signature to update.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 23:13:02

At 12/6/13 11:02 PM, Innermike wrote: They looks almost like flash games with how crisp everything is. And the movement of all the individual character parts are so deliciously smooth, now I can kind of see the appeal. I'd like to do something like that some day. They are so insanely well designed as well, I recommend them highly.

The later ones (I think) used the ubi art framework which looks like flash pro with dragonbones' bone tool (not the shit one in flash) and the animation thing I just linked.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-06 23:50:15

At 12/6/13 11:33 PM, Innermike wrote: And now I'll contribute something neat: did you know the same time taken to make the last 123 pages of this thread is about the same time it took for the 600 pages before that?

As much dead time as this thread gets (even though we make up for it like now), that's pretty impressive. This forum musta sucked before I got here.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-12-07 04:06:49

At 12/6/13 11:50 PM, MSGhero wrote: This forum musta sucked before I got here.

It did, but now it sucks even more. :(