00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crzyhentaiboy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

which program to buy?

3,877 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

which program to buy? 2006-07-05 21:44:34

I'm seriously considering buying either FL studio or Acid, can't decide on which will be better suited to my wants, which is that I basically wanna loop stuff together while having it in 5.1 channel surround sound, while fitting into my tight budget of $100.
I read the features section over and over in FL studio's official site, it was extremely unclear for me. As for Acid, the site mentioned only that the Acid Pro 6 can create the songs in 5.1 surround sound, and its price is waaaaaay beyond anything I intend to spend.
Any help?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 21:52:33

I would pick Acid anytime over FL but for what you want to do, you really need FL. I don't know why you would want to use 5.1 surround sound since not everyone has a 5.1 setup but that's entirely up to you.

i am assuming you want to make Trance/DnB; if so you need FL.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 22:02:24

Hmm, thanks for the advice, but I want to hear the opinion from others too..
Is FL really more suited for trance/dnb? I'm wondering how you knew thats what I was planning ;D Acid has that more..eh, recording, and instruments feel to it I'm just guessing, since I see all over peoples reviews on techno "did you use FL" stuff like that. As for the 5.1 surround sound, well, I want to hear something I made myself in the setup, since the only time I can ever get all 5 speakers to play sound is to use that test button over and over, which is a huge disapointment, since I kinda got it so I could listen to music with all 5 speakers.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 22:04:32

At 7/5/06 09:44 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: I'm seriously considering buying either FL studio or Acid

I agree with scribbler. Then again, I'm a little jaded - I've been using Acid forever - I can tell you that Acid Pro 6 is one of the most versatile programs that I've used - you cannot go wrong with that purchase.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 22:25:11

ok now I am seriously tilting towards buying FL studio after reading alot of threads around this place, since Acid seems to be 2-3 times expensiver than FL studio, and FL studio will be more flexible for my main want of being near my budget and being better suited for dnb/techno/trance. But before I go running off to make the remaining $50 for the Producers edition I want more suggestions and advice..

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 22:49:56

At 7/5/06 10:25 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: ok now I am seriously tilting towards buying FL studio after reading alot of threads around this place

Well, suit yourself - but to say that FL is better suited to Trance or DnB really isn't accurate...

Threads here can be decieving - go search for reviews from external sites - there are a LOT of both FL and Reason people here so you're going to hear better things about those two softwares... Only a few people here use AcidPro - I'm not really sure why - they seem to think that it's a limited software or that it's not "professional" enough for them or something...

Go down to Borders and look for a copy of Computer Music - the June edition - they did a write up in it on Acid Pro 6 that might help with some more info...

Budget considerations of course are an entirely different thing. But be sure you know what you're getting - Aren't the Plugins all sold separately for FL? According to the FL site, the XXL edition will cost you $361 where AcidPro6 runs $374.96 from Sony...

Those prices are manufacturer quotes too so keep in mind that you should be able to find either software for much less from another dealer.

Acid is great as far as UI and usability goes, it's very easy to use and if you're a student you can get a copy for $174.95 from http://www.studica.com/Sony/ - btw, they also sell FL Studio 6 XXL Producer for $198.95

if you're a student...

And if you aren't a student then you can STILL get the educational versions as long as you are a member of the clergy (hint hint for all of you NG guys out there - most software mfg's give us reverends a discount and getting ordained is free)

Either way - really look around before you jump in - get evaluation versions of BOTH softwares and wear them out before you make a decision.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best!

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 23:03:38

That has just completely blown aside my opinion. So for that educational thing, I just walk up to the check-out with it and mention I'm a student and i get a lower price? I'm going to toy around with all of the versions for some time, thanks for your help! Meanwhile I would also like more opinions?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 23:13:39

At 7/5/06 11:03 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: I just walk up to the check-out with it and mention I'm a student and i get a lower price?

You have to ask for the student price and you have to have proof... I don't know about storefronts but most online vendors have a form that you fill out - you fax a student ID or any of the other qualifying documents and poof - more than half off the price in most cases.

It's different from vendor to vendor but most will offer some discount - http://www.studica.com/products/index.cfm is one of the sites that specialize in student discount software.

If you're not a student then follow that link in my last post to ULC and get ordained (free easy - I did it years ago) and most places that offer student discounts will also offer a clergy discount - you just might need to be a little creative with the forms...

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-05 23:20:50

Its ok, I'm still the young tender age of 14 xD
I just comapred FL studio with Acid Xpress...and..well..if that Xpress is like that.....the whole one must be BETTER!!!!!111one one
Ok, but I'm still holding back a bit just in case, since FL seems to be more widely used, therefor I can more easily find help while using it. You don't mind me filling up your PM box do you?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 00:08:20

For slicing beats, Acid cannot be beaten :)

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 15:22:44

wow this is really helping me to cuz i'm havin the same problem!i donno if i wanna buy FL or is there any other better program...

but isnt there other programs too besides acid and FL?????if so tell me cuz it's fun trying other ones out =)

plz suply web sites

and wut is the site for acid i wanna chek it out

THANKS!

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 15:50:10

At 7/6/06 03:22 PM, Father_of_Death wrote: but isnt there other programs too ...plz suply web sites

Another very popular proggy is Reason
It's a very good program - I love it - keep in mind that there isn't native VST support (yet) but it rewires very nicely with Acid so you can still use VST's.

For those who may not know:
VST = Virtual Studio Technology - they're plugins that add certain things - effects mostly - You'll also see VSTi's which are Instruments...

These are all add-ons that need a host program to run - they don't do anything on thier own. VSTi's generate and produce sounds and VST's modify or change a sound.
They will sound the same running through Acid or FL or any other host.

Make sure that you look into things like VST support and decide how important that is to you - and make certain that the software you buy either has or will support those features.

If you want a FREE VST host (as well as a complete production package) Go buy a copy of Computer Music Magazine (with the DVD) it's $15 at Borders and almost always includes a suite called "The CM Studio" it's not as easy as some other programs but it's actually very good and it's free...

and wut is the site for acid i wanna chek it out

Acid Products

for Acid, XMC and Studio are extremely trimmed down versions - If you onyl need basic editing and mixing then those are fine but if you want a complete package solution then you'd probably want to look into Pro 6

- However - If you decide that you want to go with another title then either of the lite versions of Acid would still make a nice addition to you DAW.

There are a few other knock-down drag out fanstastic programs but they certainly aren't anything to cut your teeth on - some are very complicated and might be too much to handle for a first software.

As I said earlier - get demo versions of everything that you can find and that will give you the best feel for what each offers.

Imagine you were buying a guitar - you could ask a bunch of people what they would suggest and I'm sure that some people will say things like " The response of the ____ is great" or "The stock pickups on the _____ are shit" etc. etc. but anyone who walks into a shop and points to a guitar on the wall and says "I'll take that one" without actually playing it and feeling it in thier hands is just asking for buyers remorse...

Happy hunting - we hope to hear your creations soon! But until you start making your own music, consider listening to some of mine :D Click the sigpic and vote 5!

That goddamned ljcoffee! Whoring his crap as if he has any talent - pshhh!

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 16:47:44

I've been having some fun trying to make a track with Acid Xpress, made rocks being blended sound awesome, and spent almost 3 hours searching the internet for free synths/samples. I'm just going to buy a synthesizer and a lot of loop libraries. All i can do now is DnB..I'm not complaining!! D:
So now I just need help using Acid and stuff...I'll be beseiging your PM box soon don't worry!

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 17:04:31

well i use Cubase SX as my main platform for working, FL for beats and at the monet using my synths due to stuck Jack in me tascam uss122, ive also got Reason and aquired Beatcraft. All have the ability to suit your needs though Cubase is the most versatile and professional, after that it's nuendo and protools.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 17:21:56

All I gotta do now is buy a synthesizer. Any good techno/trance/DnB suited ones?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 17:26:07

get a midi controller instead and invest in some good vst synths, theyre cheaper you can have more than one at a time and they sound just as good.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 17:37:05

what is a midi controller and what is vst?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 18:39:58

VST is basically just a virtual instrument ( i think haha)

And a midi controller i think is when you hook your keyboard up to the computer and what not

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 18:41:54

um...........a confirmed response, please?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 18:45:27

I;m pretty sure though, thats what some people told me.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 19:02:39

instrumental techno, thats new for me. i don't have/want a keyboard, ill just buy a huge amount of loops.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 19:13:56

Dont make a whole song using loops. Use as few loops as possible (I generally throw in a drum loop here and there to fatten and complicate my drum patterns a bit, but that's it). If you deal with JUST loops go with somthing like Ableton Live 5, which is GREAT if you are going to be dealing with a lot of loops.

There are so many great solutions out there besides FL and Acid, do some research on all the options you have. There is no worse feeling of spending 200 (or 2000+) dollars, only to find somthing that better suits your needs a month later.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 20:10:12

how do I not make a song using only loops? Isn't that what Acid/FL was meant for? I'm not planning on recording anything...And loops seems to be what everyone else makes their songs with to get platinum tracks; I'm not trying to contradict you, its just that everyone seems to be using it without too much difficulty so im just jumping on the bandwagon..

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-06 23:12:19

people are using a midi keyboard controller to write their own music into the computer. The well respected artists don't use any premade loops (they may write their own loops to use, but to do that they program the sounds in using a sequencer of some sort).

It may be best for you to do a little research on what these programs are capable of before you go and buy them- they are all capable of MUCH more than just programming loops. If you want to work with only loops don't expect to earn the respect of too many artists here on newgrounds. Using only loops is like writing a book where all the chapters are written, you just have to put them in the right order.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 12:08:03

but not all music i hear is all instruments from a midi keyboard controller. does this mean they are combining loops with it? and how would the keyboard have its sounds converted into the techno we hear?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 12:31:29

The main purpose of a keyboard controller is not to generate sounds (most of them don't include any). Sounds are included in programs such as FL and Acid, and you can buy more instruments from developers such as Sonic Implants and Native Instruments. The keyboard controller is primarily used to access these sounds within the computer.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 14:15:11

i am now officially lost.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 14:29:54

a midi controller keyboard does not generate sounds of its own, it is used in conjunction with a vst instrument, a computer programme that is a synthesiser or a drum machine or what ever. All programmes use something called midi data to receive notes and tell your computer what note should be played when pressed.

when using something like cubase you have a reliance on both midi and true audio, Reason is totally midi based, and fruity loops is midi but also has some audio capabilities.

If you are serious about making music you will need to understand these basic concepts, it isnt easy, but it isnt hard either. I would advise you to have a really good read of this. once you have done so come bakc and we'll discuss further.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 14:31:05

Isn't Acid just taking loops and slapping them together?

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 14:43:08

well the acid programme isnt just about loops, but their is the ACID standard for loops where it allows you to really manipulate and timestretch like a mofo.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

BBS Signature