00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

biimooner just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

which program to buy?

3,840 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 22:40:57

I found some old keyboard i had from awhile ago, does this mean i can just hook it up to my computer, get a program for it, and make synths with it? or do i need one specefically labeled "midi controller keyboard"? from what i briefly read, a vst instrument is a synthesizer, and or a midi controller keyboard. wow i seriously hope i don't have to buy another keyboard..

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 23:20:38

excuse my double post, but I am now open to all suggestions on a program again.
I've decided on basically composing my own stuff with a couple loops throughout, which program would be "best" for that? A program that also supports changing the midi into synths. I am currently playing around with FL, I don't understand anything about it. I can't find a trial/demo version of Reason, so please describe its features well, the websites and that thread is never ever clear;;

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-07 23:53:45

The Reason website has a demo, but if you're struggling with FL I'm not sure your gonna have much luck with Reason. FL is easier to learn than most sequencers out there. I would suggest finding an online tutorial on using FL (or any other sequencer you choose such as Reason). Since you seem to be unclear as to what a midi controller is and it's purpose, I'd try to find a tutorial on the basics of writing music with a comptuer.

To answer your question, as long as a keyboard has some way to connect to the computer (via USB or Midi), you can use it as a controller.

BBS Signature

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 17:39:10

ok im getting a bit better more or less with FL, like i found out how to make patterns and stuff, i guess ill buy it..then later on i could switch to reason..
ok, so i dont NEED a midi keyboard, its just alot better? sorry for all these questions, all the websites im reading about only advertise them and tell of its history..

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 17:46:58

At 7/8/06 05:39 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: ok, so i dont NEED a midi keyboard, its just alot better? sorry for all these questions, all the websites im reading about only advertise them and tell of its history..

You don't NEED a keyboard, but If you want to hook it up to the computer and work with it with FL then you need some way to hook it up.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 18:16:10

At 7/8/06 05:46 PM, Peckers wrote:
At 7/8/06 05:39 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: ok, so i dont NEED a midi keyboard, its just alot better? sorry for all these questions, all the websites im reading about only advertise them and tell of its history..
You don't NEED a keyboard, but If you want to hook it up to the computer and work with it with FL then you need some way to hook it up.

yep, hunting the internet for one right now. i got my allowance today, bringing my budget up to $120. if i get a haircut, my mom will supposedly give me $100. ( its really really long for a guy )
also, is there any way to like tweak/mess around with vocals in FL? im thinking of adding lyrics to a song and messing with my voice..

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 18:47:15

I suppose you could add effects to your vocals.
First, import the vocals into FL (if you know how to do that, if not, just ask me)

Then click on the channel, go to view and sellect mixer. Where it has the drop down thing, click on that and find some effects or what ever.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 19:20:14

awesome. now i gotta go mic shopping.
also - after i record a midi, import, etc etc, can FL change its notes from like piano to any instrument? im just imported a random midi, all im hearing out of FL is static.

Response to which program to buy? 2006-07-08 19:22:12

I'm not sure, sorry. Might wanna ask that in the Fruity Loops thread