00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Important Browser News

20,449 Views | 144 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 03:46:01

Wow, regardless of implications on Newgrounds, the blocking of active-x directly in pages is a big step forwards for those people who always end up accidently downloading spyware.

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 04:08:31

At 4/15/06 01:38 AM, shiro183 wrote:
At 4/15/06 01:21 AM, RupeeClock wrote: You know what you should do liljim? Add a link to firefox on ungrounded pages if it detects IE, I'm sure you can do that.

Or maybe a popup window explaining stuff.
IE works PERFECTLY for me, i don't know where all this BS about IE not showing links or showing .GIFs as solid white came from.

Dude, did you download the update or anything?
It might not happen yet, but it's likely an eventuality.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 05:37:56

I'm just not server updating so I still have my active X, yay for me.

And yeha, I noticed the servers down, damn tome zones.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 06:01:53

Eolas won't pursue Firefox as long as it's open source. Fine.

But what about Opera and other commercial browsers? Will Eolas pursue them?

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 06:39:42

At 4/14/06 08:45 PM, liljim wrote: Alternatively, get yourself a copy of Firefox and save yourself the hassle.

A sound piece of advice James, as always.

Fortunately, I've already heeded this advice many moons ago and do not suffer from the cosh of Microsoft (much)

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 07:01:19

Yeah, it sucks. :( I'm using the AOL browser myself.
If I knew which update number it was called I could remove it.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 07:02:52

At 4/15/06 06:39 AM, Coop83 wrote: A sound piece of advice James, as always.

Fortunately, I've already heeded this advice many moons ago and do not suffer from the cosh of Microsoft (much)

Definitions of cosh on the Web:

* blackjack: a piece of metal covered by leather with a flexible handle; used for hitting people
* hit with a cosh, usually on the head
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Uh, yeah, makes sense.

I upgraded to Firefox a long time ago, so glad I did, it alerts me of new email, enhances GameFAQS browsing, acts as a IRC client, acts as a mass image uploader, blocks all advertisements and popups, built in search functionality, has a toolbar for controlling winamp, allows me to edit my cookies, provides fully functional tabbed browsing that keeps a history of closed tabs, has a built in version of minesweeper, adds a countdown clock to whatever I want, has intergrated IE tabs for Non Firefox compatible pages, an option to translate pages from the tools menu, a built in calculator with history, a text to leet convertor, keeps an archive of previous downloads, lets me use Gmail as an external harddrive with an FTP based interface, lets me access FTP accounts and upload files, asks me what I want to do with PDF files, makes all the animations on Homestarrunner.com go fullscreen, has a handy colour picker that tells me the hex code, and a silly little extension that counts how many popups I've blocked.

Holy shit, that's a lot of shit my Firefox can do.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 07:04:17

At 4/15/06 07:01 AM, Wonchop wrote: Yeah, it sucks. :( I'm using the AOL browser myself.
If I knew which update number it was called I could remove it.

Holy shit man, as though you didn't have it bad enough, Eolas will probably go after that too.
That ain't nice. (Btw, nice animation today.)

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 07:26:59

Good thing I use Firefox. Thanks for that, maybe people will now realise.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 07:33:42

At 4/15/06 07:31 AM, onnet092 wrote:
At 4/15/06 07:26 AM, -Paradox- wrote: Good thing I use Firefox. Thanks for that, maybe people will now realise.
Firefox FTW

You seriously do reply to every post I make, don't you.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 08:25:57

It's a very good thing I don't use IE, but I think my friends use IE, so I better warn them. Thanks for the information James.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 08:36:32

The guys at firefox must be loving this.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 09:10:55

At 4/14/06 08:45 PM, liljim wrote: Alternatively, get yourself a copy of Firefox and save yourself the hassle.

Important Browser News

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 09:24:40

Hey i wondered what the annyoing clicky thing was! Anyone ive just downloaded Opera: it's brilliant!

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 10:02:04

Aww man that sucks. Is there any way to get rid of whatever makes you have to click to activate?

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 10:20:36

I heard about this a while ago on digg and slashdot, and think the whole thing is stupid. I'm a big fan and contributor to OSS, and I use Firefox as my home browser, but I don't think it's right for them to only go after Microsoft. That's like a cop watching speeding cars go by all day, but only pulling over the one that looks expensive. Or a lady spilling coffee at both her favorite shop and at mcdonalds, but only suing mcdonalds because they have the money, and everyone loves to hate them. Sorry for my bad analogies, but I think you get my point.

Overall though, I wish stupid software patents like this would stop getting passed in the first place. It's too general. That's almost as general as Bob Ross patenting the idea of painting happy trees with a brush. heh...

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 11:06:38

yeah, i was wondering why i had to click twice to vote,
thanks for telling me, i thought there was something wrong with my computer.

Please stop the Rickrolling!

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 11:22:16

I normally use Avant Browser, but I sometimes use Internet Explorer ONLY to test out my site and to see if it works in IE. That's why I saw those little white boxes when you go on top of a flash application...

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 11:39:43

Currently, I use Firefox, but there is another similar browser called Crazy Browser. It has default tabbed browsing and many other features, but it lacks the plugins available for Firefox. I've never seen it crash before or not be compatable with any medias.

Crazy Browser Homepage

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 12:35:24

Yeah that has been happening to me for i think almost a week now and frankly i find it very damn annoying. I was thinking it could have been just a one day thing but still, i find myself clicking on each play button twice and the score i want to give the submission twice. All this is going to do is lower the amount of people using internet explorer. Because i know myself i dont want to use this browser anymore, always has problems, and now this. I think im going to install firefox within the month.

>: (, stupid microsoft losing the case.

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 12:50:19

automatic updates, rofl. useless.

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 13:03:28

It's actually working fine for me, Jim.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 13:06:01

thx god,i was scare it was my pc that was bugging on me again....

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 14:44:21

What about Opera? You can use Opera as well as Firefox. But that does not matter when it is coming from me, because I am a nobody! Does anyone cares about me? Suicide looks like an appealing option for me.

And why are you reading this? You should read posts coming from regulars and anyone you actually care!

Sonic Wii Preloader!

Pro-Pokemon Club/TJPPC - Where I love Mew and members know it!

My art - I do art well, you twirps!

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 15:08:13

Didn't have a problem yesterday. But now I have to double-click when voting on flash submissions. Meh, not a problem.

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 15:33:51

Opera may be better than Firefox out of the box, but jacked up with extensions I much prefer Firefox. I couldn't live without the likes of Foxytunes, Gmail Notifier, Paste Email and Reveal.

But either way, IE sucks and this is great news.

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 16:02:48

I auto-updated Windows yesterday, and I just checked my IE7 beta to see if it had changed so I'd have to click the Flash but it hadn't - strange I guess.

This could be a huge blow against IE, I can see a lot of Flash users switching to FF if they haven't already. Also I guess this could be a bad thing for flash (as in flash banners and adverts on sites) because people don't want to click stuff like that in the first place - so I bet Flash does suffer significantly.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-15 23:43:26

Yay for cheap Firefox plugs! I've tried more browsers than I care to think about, and I prefer it above all others. Opera is fine, but the problem is that you can only open new pages in tabs. Firefox gives you the option of opening pages in either new tabs or new windows. A subtle difference, but an important one. Plus, extensions are cool!

Thanks for the update, liljim!

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-16 00:14:46

Fuck EOLAS!

Whoever they are.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Important Browser News 2006-04-16 01:20:30

I get the automatic updates!!!!

Well it doesn't matter. I use Firefox =P

BBS Signature