00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tang-tations just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official World Cup Germany Thread

102,222 Views | 2,613 Replies

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 07:44:17

At 6/23/06 07:41 AM, JesseRay wrote:
At 6/23/06 06:14 AM, madknt wrote: mabye reassess, accessing it wont do much.
Grammar Nazi

its not grammar.

Also how did USA score 7th I think it was in the FIFA world rankings, commercial ploy or what?
I loved it how in hte Australian game that Croatian managed to get 3 yellow cards before being sent off.

that was just silly.. he gave him the yellow card then looked in his book and saw that he already had one so decided not to give it to him.. cheat.
well he wasnt a cheat, made mistakes both ways..
the officials at that level are pathetic, its not a hard game to referee!

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 07:55:15

At 6/23/06 07:44 AM, madknt wrote:
At 6/23/06 07:41 AM, JesseRay wrote: Grammar Nazi
its not grammar.

The same thing crossed my mind as a I pressed "post it", besides rules in English are pretty inconsistant

that was just silly.. he gave him the yellow card then looked in his book and saw that he already had one so decided not to give it to him.. cheat.
well he wasnt a cheat, made mistakes both ways..
the officials at that level are pathetic, its not a hard game to referee!

Maybe Croatia did a Juventus FC, if not then well maybe they need more refs on the field or appeals or something. It's a lot more severer in soccer where goals are valued far more than any other sport.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:03:37

At 6/23/06 06:19 AM, Mr_Pope wrote:

I was also a bit pissed of at the BBC's treatment of Ronaldo last night, all the fat jibes and the commentator saying "I predict a diet, I predict a diet." What the fucks all that about? The man is a living legend with more talent than Lineker, Hansen and Lawro put together. Idiots.

It was nice to see him scoring again and it looks like Brazil are slowly acheiving the form that was expected of them. Well done to the Aussies aswell.

Linekar? i don't think so. Seriously though i did think the jokes about Ronaldo were a bite crude and in bad taste. I mean he may be heavier than he'd like to be but he's not fat.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:07:43

At 6/23/06 08:03 AM, areyoureadyEddie wrote: Linekar? i don't think so.

You think Gary Lineker was better than Ronaldo?

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:30:35

At 6/23/06 05:16 AM, areyoureadyEddie wrote: Ahem, Lampard is not overrated its just himand Gerrard are too similar.

Hmm, to me that sounds a bit like when Beckham complained that it was too hot, or that they didn't get enough sleep last night... ;-)

Rooney should hopefully be fit enough to retake his place as one of the best players in the world.

Would be nice to see more from him, but I don't think he'll make it. I like him though.

Give me Robinson ahead of Lehmann anyday, more dependable.

WHAT? Did you actually see your games? He's definitely your weakest man. I would have preferred Olli to Lehmann too, though.

Also our defence is far better than yours.

Definite no. Plus, we've got more potential left to develop.

Sadly though, we'll probably have to wait for the next European cup to find out.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:31:47

Sorry, forgot the markup.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:37:10

At 6/23/06 08:30 AM, --Hybrid-- wrote: Also our defence is far better than yours.

The rest of your points were a bit shit but c'mon, our defence is far better than yours, any football fan should be able to see that regardless of nationality. We have arguably the best back 4 in world football.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 08:47:15

Hell yea despite Graham poll's best effort australia are though. Looks like its going to a real test when we go up against italy on tuseday.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 09:32:56

Guus Hiddink, pass by 8th final and collect your post group faze bonus. He got 850.000 Australian dollars for getting Aussie land beyond the group faze. That’s like $550.000. His total income until now (with Australia) is 1.6 million American dollars.

Why wouldn’t you pay him that money, he’s about to make football #1 national sport over there.

But Scolari is a true man! He could have been the new England coach but he said: “contract would start while coaching Portugal and I cant ask my players to die for their country while I already have a new country to coach”. Unlike Guus Hiddink who has a new job before he even finishes it: while coaching PSV, national coach at Australia and while coaching Australia he’s already the new Russian coach. Scolari is a great man and a great coach, I hope he stays for a long time.

C'MON EVERYBODY! DO THE GRAHAM POLL!

Official World Cup Germany Thread

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 09:35:54

At 6/23/06 09:32 AM, -Markus wrote: Why wouldn’t you pay him that money, he’s about to make football #1 national sport over there.

its john o'neil thats making soccer a force in australia.
guus is supposed to be a great coach, worth 1.6 million for a whole 6 months or so work?
probably not, not unless we win.
soccer is and always has been the most played game in australia, just not the most watched.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 09:39:34

De Rossi banned, could well be the end of the WC for him:

http://news.bbc.co.u..ms/italy/5109684.stm

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 09:41:19

At 6/22/06 11:56 AM, -Alex- wrote: USA can't beat Ghana. Ghana is the size of one of our states for fucks sake.

Two. It's the same size as Illinois and Indiana.

Root for Togo!!

Rick's version: "Hey, I have to root for Togo. The country is twice the size of a football field and half their population is playing on the team. How can you not root for Togo."

My version: "If Togo ties or wins, France goes home."

At 6/22/06 11:59 AM, mighty_potato wrote: This just tells me that the FIFA ranking system is completely wrong. Fifth ranked USA should have had no trouble beating Ghana. Also, the second ranked Czechs are out of the group round too. I definitely did not see Italy and Ghana coming out of the group. Group E was definitely a shocker.

Go back to page 2 or 3 when I was trying to see how I did against a FIFA re-rank; these people are as bad (or worse) than the BCS. Among other goofiness, Czech played Turkey and tied. For that match, Czech lost 4 points and Turkey lost 3 ...

At 6/22/06 12:16 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote: I wish all you fans out there could be over here right now, it's absolutely fantastic!

Unfortuately, I was there until last week, then had to go back to the States for my brother's wedding tomorrow. Leipzig last Sunday (save for the "eins ist genug" nonsense) was all I had hoped for. Holland needs to stop playing "enough," and actually play a full match or they will get their asses handed to them by Portugal or Brazil.

At 6/22/06 02:20 PM, jonthomson wrote:
Well, Brazil and Japan play out a meaningless game tonight, leaving Australia and Croatia to playoff for second. It's got the potential to be a very good match.

It wasn't exactly meaningless. If Japan had managed to hold on and win, while Australia lost or tied, Japan could have been through. My hope was that Japan won and Australia won by a lot (enough to make up their 3 goals behind Brasil), making Australia first in Group and sending Brasil to the other bracket. Pipe dream it was, but one had to hope.

At 6/22/06 03:19 PM, Bluefalcon92092 wrote: i think argentina will win.with that 6 to 0 victory that was cool.

6-0 over Serbia means nothing, just like 8-0 over Saudi meant nothing to the Germans last Cup. It's how you play against quality sides that matters ... and Argentina-Holland playing for nothing except getting out of the match without anyone having to sit out the next match means even less. The game we all expected to be (one of) the best Group games went out with a whimper.

At 6/23/06 06:12 AM, JesseRay wrote: Is it me or does FIFA need to re-access Australias world ranking (42)

Rankings were last done in mid-May, and won't be re-done util mid-July. They held off in June as the pre-cursors to the Cup and the Cup itself were about to begin, and are waiting until the Monday after the Cup is over to tally up the results of the last couple of months. Even when they do that, see my comments above for how little you should trust the rankings.

At 6/23/06 06:47 AM, madknt wrote:
seriously.. most international sports have points system but it resets with the world cup.

Nothing resets. Matches from 8 years ago are still factored into the point total, expiring as time moves on. When this Cup is over and they redo the rankings, all of the rankings from Cup '98 will expire ... so expect France to take a huge point and ranking hit, even if they do manage to make it out of Group this Cup.

At 6/23/06 07:41 AM, JesseRay wrote:
Also how did USA score 7th I think it was in the FIFA world rankings, commercial ploy or what?

They made it as high as 4th back in April. What happened was that 8 year expiration bit affected Argentina more (dropping from 4 to 8) than it affected US, Mexico, and Spain, by retiring more points from Argentina than it did from the others while not replacing it with new points earned in April ... since pretty much no one played anyone. Going from April to May, Mexico had no points retired, but the US did, so US slipped a rank below Mexico. It will be only slightly less nonsensical after the Cup is over.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 11:33:06

ukraine do not deserve to go through to the next round.
playing some of the most negative football ive ever seen.
then, from a free kick, blatent hand ball.
two minutes later, ukraine player trips himself over.. penalty.. goal.
so wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 14:44:49

At 6/23/06 08:37 AM, Mr_Pope wrote:
At 6/23/06 08:30 AM, --Hybrid-- wrote: Also our defence is far better than yours.

The rest of your points were a bit shit but c'mon, our defence is far better than yours, any football fan should be able to see that regardless of nationality. We have arguably the best back 4 in world football.

I'd say that you won't find too many people outside of England who'd agree with that.
Anyway, let's just leave it at that. I don't think we'll come to an agreement; our teams performances' will have to speak for themselves.

Plus. this kind of chat is much more fun with a british fan at the games ;-)

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 14:55:42

At 6/22/06 12:16 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote: I wish all you fans out there could be over here right now, it's absolutely fantastic!
Unfortuately, I was there until last week, then had to go back to the States for my brother's wedding tomorrow. Leipzig last Sunday (save for the "eins ist genug" nonsense) was all I had hoped for. Holland needs to stop playing "enough," and actually play a full match or they will get their asses handed to them by Portugal or Brazil.

I wasn't too impressed by Holland either, but I'm pretty sure they'll make it to the quarters (which is were England is leaving the tournament at the latest).
Portugal plays just too unstable. They'll make a few nice runs for the goal, get stuck, then get frustrated and then Oranje will finish them.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 14:58:55

Go France!

I think their team is a lot weaker than it used to be, but I'm a big fan of Zinedine Zidane.
He deserves an honorary leave from world class football, it's sad that he won't be playing on his birthday in this important game.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:00:56

Switzerland - South Korea just kicked off. Should in theory be a good game.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:04:58

Go Togo Go!
God I hate the French almost as much as I hate Brazil and if they didn't qualify again it'd be awesome.

France has to win this right?

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:06:34

At 6/23/06 03:00 PM, jonthomson wrote: Switzerland - South Korea just kicked off. Should in theory be a good game.

Yea, i'm rooting for Korea.

I'm surprised you didn't use your favourite world cup phrase last night...

Croatia? More like CrOWNED. Or words to that effect.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:17:04

Jesus.
I hate Soccer players.

Get up you whiney piece of shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:20:14

Dang, Tunisia has been pretty unfortunate, to only come out with 1 point against the Saudis, then to simply run out of gas after taking the lead against Spain, as well as today's loss to Ukraine, losing on a penalty. Played some decent football, just not good enough...

Lol, time to watch France implode (even though I'm a Zidane fan, it's just amusing watching France continually underachieve)....

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:23:28

*sounds Swiss goal horn*

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:25:34

France are going to drop out yet again. As i predicted earlier in the thread

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:27:54

Great game so far!

Too bad France was denied a goal again. Using Trezeguet as second striker really did wonders for their offense. Their pretty much owning Togo right now.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:31:20

It's a good job this is the last of the "games at same time", because the BBC showing the unimportant match all the fucking time (France tonight, Brazil last night) is starting to piss me off.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:38:49

You've got to hand it to Togo's keeper. He's saved their asses a couple time now.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:48:29

At 6/23/06 03:38 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote: You've got to hand it to Togo's keeper. He's saved their asses a couple time now.

You think he can keep it up? France has the most ball possesions, and I think they can tire Agassa.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 15:56:02

At 6/23/06 03:48 PM, -Rule- wrote:
You think he can keep it up? France has the most ball possesions, and I think they can tire Agassa.

No, I think they'll get him eventually. But Togo has a few dangerous strikers, the French need to take care of them. Their new system has strenghtened their offense, but their midfield is more open than usual.

Allez les bleus!

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 16:03:09

I so fucking hope Togo wins. that would kick so much ass, mtv would be omgwtf for making stupid togo commercials :P france would be kicked out, and my favs, switzerland and korea, live on <3

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-06-23 16:11:51

IT WAS ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

Now finish 'em!