00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ShadowTheHaxGod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Grounds Gold

30,441 Views | 347 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:28:26

It needs more edge to it. Right now it seems like it's a menu for one of those crappy low budget forums. Which we can all assure you that Newgrounds is completely the opposite of.

I think it would be good if you gave it some Newgrounds edge. If you know what i mean.
A few background boarders with images. Maybe a Status Key where it shows your Level and stuff...

But right now its in a good place to change.

Its nice right now , but hopefully it's going to get nicer!

Scumbag Blues.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:29:10

At 1/9/06 03:25 PM, SlipperyMooseCakes wrote: R.I.P. Old Grounds Gold.

Indeed. :(

New Grounds Gold

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:29:59

Do this for profiles as well. I mean, if you're going to be making the pop-up system seem outdated then don't leave our poor profiles behind.

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:31:22

At 1/9/06 03:29 PM, TITROTU wrote:
Indeed. :(

I concur. :(

New Grounds Gold

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:33:41

it would be really nice if it didnt load the interface in the existing page. can you make it so it opens a new page when you click this? voting on portal entrees not yet blammed or saved can be really annoying if you accidently click it subconsiously. you then have to reload the page and wait again. so see if you can make it open a new page when you click it =D

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:36:04

At 1/9/06 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are working on a redesign that will eliminate Flash in the header. We also plan to have an integrated login field IN the header, so you can enter your info directly.

That's a good idea, flash header is a bit of a problem because it doesn't load immediatly like the rest of the page.

The popup problem was with the fact it came from a flash file, so if you can do a popup from html like it used to on the VERY old site (like in the search infact) the problem with popups might be eliminated.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:36:11

Personally, I didn't find the pop-upedness to be that much of a problem. I use Firefox, and it allows you to simply bypass the blocker. I had no problem with the original format, but I guess this is fine, as well. It doesn't have the same feel to it, but I guess it will just take some getting used to. (Now, I'll always have to open it in a new tab.)

In any event, thanks for trying to make the interface more user-friendly, Tom! :)

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:36:52

It'll be missed dearly.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:38:08

Here is my 2 pence:

P

Well, first off, i am very glad you changed it. Otherwise we are moving backwards not forwards.

However, the new design isn't too appealing to me yet. What i'd like to see are the following:
- Get rid off the ">>" style of the Histeory section of the site... not that history is boring, but it makes our accounts look boring...
- Put in background graphics that make things look like buttons like the old versions.
(I don't like clicking on text, it makes it feel amaturish)
- Get MindChamber to do some more Pico art, simply because it is cool, and it'll add a nice element to the right of the screen, at the moment things are looking bland and are too orientated to the top-left.
- Have the right part of the flash banner graphics, so that we can open in a new window if we choose to do so. Or... enable the fla of the original (if you still have it lying around), to detect the shift button so you can shift-click to open up in a new window.

Things i do like about this:
- "Log out - We'll miss you!" we will too :')
- It makes it feel more user orientated.

Things to change in the near future:
- Instead of profiles, have a whole page dedecated to the user. So, he/she can update things as he/she sees fit. Some things would have to be on there (to prevent bad users trying to look good), but editable parts, allowing us to direct the users to our best or most recent flash work would be nice.

That is all, continue moving forwards NG!

SIG YOINK!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:41:33

Update the personal profile too!!! :D

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:41:49

so far it looks good.
knowing you might be reading this but, you ever though of putting like a mini login box on the front page?

like right above the little ads on the left side of the screen.

[PHP: Main]-[AVGN Club]

"You know a dame is classy when she got some jiggle in her assy." - Unknown

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:42:24

I prefer the old one too, but i guess change is good.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:46:57

Mostly everyone prefered the olf one. Sigh.... il miss my old Grounds Gold menu, sucks that i don't have a screenshot of it.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:50:11

Wow, I honestly hate this layout, it looks cheap, and amature (no offense). Ofcourse the new layout will take some getting used to, but it seems like most people here don't like it, I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about it though, seeing as if I had my way, I'd switch the entire site layout back to the classic 2002 design.

Non-dairy produkt

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:51:53

If people have pop up blockers wouldn't they be more likely to complain that they can't see people's flash than that they can't sign in? That just shows how many people just come here for the general forum.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:54:06

At 1/9/06 01:48 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:Stamperized

I found that word oddly cool sounding... Anyways.

I personally like it, and I found it way less cramped and everything. Can't wait until it is finished.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:58:28

At 1/9/06 03:41 PM, JimmyDallas wrote: knowing you might be reading this but, you ever though of putting like a mini login box on the front page?

Whats wrong with the one on the banner on the frontpage?

SIG YOINK!

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 15:59:36

At 1/9/06 03:58 PM, James_Prankard_Inc wrote:
At 1/9/06 03:41 PM, JimmyDallas wrote: knowing you might be reading this but, you ever though of putting like a mini login box on the front page?
Whats wrong with the one on the banner on the frontpage?

nothing. just a suggestion i always had.
i doubt Tom would do it

[PHP: Main]-[AVGN Club]

"You know a dame is classy when she got some jiggle in her assy." - Unknown

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:08:04

Honestly Tom, I don't like this whatsoever. It's much better for me to be able to have it all in one small GUI rather than have to load a whole fucking page to do the same thing.

I wish you could make it so that there's an option to choose to keep it the old way. Call me old-fashioned, and i'm not one to criticize your work Tom, but I really, really don't like this new interface. It's too widespread and such.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:09:40

I can see why some people would find it conventient, but from what I've read, and from what I think, it's not as good as the old pop-up Grounds Gold Menu. With the old pop-up menu, I could quickly access features on the Grounds Gold Menu from anywhere. With the way it is now, it will take some more time to do things on the menu; everything is spaced out. I realize this isn't the final version of the new-and-improved Grounds Gold Menu, and perhaps when Stamper gets everything designed well, it will be better and I will like it.

I like the suggestion of letting users choose between a pop-up Grounds Gold Menu and a non-pop-up Grounds Gold Menu.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:09:59

nice no more of those pop-up that the best news if seen on newgrounds in a while....

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:10:43

It's not that bad, although I really am excited for the Stamperization of the whole deal. I'm also excited for the integration of the PMs and also the redoing of the profiles. I have to say though, I hope the profiles will remain un-de-pop-upped, since it'd be nice to maintain SOME semblence of the oldschool Newgrounds.

But sounds awesome. Thanks for the update, it's great to see these overt changes when most of what you guys do is unnoticed because it reminds us you still care about the site.

:-o @ Carmilla

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:11:49

I was wondering what happend when I went to sign in, I like it.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:12:05

I am wondering why the BBS search page has never been updated to the new style? Almost the entire site is under the new format except that page.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:13:08

At 1/9/06 04:11 PM, Wicked_Clown17 wrote: I was wondering what happend when I went to sign in, I like it.

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise.

I don't mind that I'm a bit slow at navigating...I was when I first got the account too.

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:13:37

Is there some way to go back to the better, smaller, grounds gold menu?

I used to be relevant.

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:14:52

to be hoenst i dont like it..

having the little pop up window was fun!

also, for all those with popup block, the simple way to stop this would be to replace the sign in/log in button from flash to an html link.. ths no external pop up window...

having the enter page change to your profile is annoying, example:

if linked to ng audio, it'll usally say sign in.. before all u had to do was open the sign in box then relaod thae page..

i miss the old pop up window.. sure i had to set ng to " allow pop ups" < only for ng though :p> but i dont care... ng is worth the pop ups!

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:16:50

I dont like how it looks, I wish it was back to the normal one.

:C

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:24:09

Awesome! :D Nice job, Tom! :)

D:

BBS Signature

Response to New Grounds Gold 2006-01-09 16:24:34

:(((( Tom, I really appreciate your efforts, but I like previous version much more than the current one. Let me explain why:
it doesn't fit in one screen now. Fons are way to big.
Now it's harder to find what you want.
In Portal Submissions font is too small to read.
Sorry my good friend, but for me is more like step back...