00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ev1337 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

BLAMS!

12,226 Views | 133 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 13:24:45

At 10/26/02 10:19 AM, The_Hopliitti wrote:
OH SHUT UP!!! Thats so crap i have written 60 reviews and if i'd get exp i would propably written 2000 review like this: 'bad movie, end of story' instead of this: 'Dear Kissmyass7847, your movie isn't the greatest, but because yoú are a newbie on newgrounds, that is ok. You should add some sound...etc...etc' If you have a REAL opinion of an animation, you should review it. If not, then you should not. If i'd post my flash movies to NG (wich ill maybe never do), i would go insane if 99 of 100 reviews were like this: 'An ok movie' or 'Good movie'. Jesus, stop bitching, Laertes, and kill Osama bin Laden. Sucker.

Ahhahahahahah... if I had any respect for your last post I might have taken it seriously, but the fact that you didn't think much about it (not to mention "kill osama" at the end) made me want to laugh. The fact is, I SAID TO PUT A CAP ON DAILY XP. Writing reviews wouldn't save ANYONE any time, and in the end it would still add up to 10 XP a day. Make sense?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 17:21:12

At 10/24/02 12:57 PM, creamyspy69 wrote:
At 10/24/02 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Also we changed the color codes. So a movie with 3.00 or higher is GREEN, and a movie with a 3.50 or higher is BLUE.

The colors come after a movie has 100 votes.
LOVING all these changes Wade. But I really suck at getting this system down. I'm gonna be a citizen fo' life!!!!!!!!! How in the hell do these people have thousands of points already??? Am I missing something?

I think the reasons some people have oodles of points is:

1) any BLAM!s you might have had before this new system came into being and after BLAM!s started being recorded carried over into your BLAM points, so some people had a head start.

2) There are probably a few people who just sit at their computers all day, voting on each new movie that comes up. Sad, huh?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 17:36:36

At 10/26/02 09:00 AM, The_Hopliitti wrote: 'Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point'.

Ok, cool. Anyway, this is a newgrounds fan: (s)He sees a decent movie, and the score is 2.1 by then. (s)He would vote a 3 for that movie. But then (s)He realizes that omg, if i vote 5, it would make more difference, cause the movie has been voted by 200 ppl! So (s)He votes 5. Why dont u just make 'Good film' 'Bad film' and 'Blam this bitch' options?
Because ppl like numbers. But no one votes 1,2,3 or 4 anymore..? Answer me. What do you think?

This has been suggested before, and I think it's a bad idea. It's better to give the user more options for voting. Anf for the record: I, for one make very good use the 1, 2, 3, 4 buttons. So son't say no one uses 'em.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 17:37:56

At 10/24/02 08:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/24/02 08:21 PM, NemesisM66 wrote:
At 10/24/02 07:58 PM, DUDE4U wrote:
also i would luv to see the levels hit 50 instead of stopping at 30. i bet the 3 tops users are getting tired of sitting at 29 and 30. that would actually be something to changed. i luv all the police badges and stuff and all. but i do like the changes. we will have to get used to the new settings but i bleieve we will like them over time. i also like how u have the new voting thing when u vote. i know it's been here for like a couple of weeks but i like it better this way. but the pico would always take forever to load. so i like that so thanks on my part. oh yea and to be honest wade i did have a suggestion. on the portal facts page where it shows all the different things it would be nice if u put up the top blams and the top protectors like u do the reviews. i'm not saying it for my benefit but i do it for the people who blam and protect flash

Wade told me they might hold a Poll for New User Levels (which I hope they do cause New Levels would be awesome) as for adding a Top BLAMS/PROTECTION on the Portal I think that's a great idea.
If we did add more levels, say taking it up to 50, it would still be a floating scale, so the guy who is Level 30 now would just jump to level 50, and everyone else would go up the scale with him. Vote power wouldn't change. The only benefit would be you would get a bigger variety of images to go through.

People like images.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 23:21:49

At 10/24/02 12:50 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have made some changes to the Portal voting system. We have increased the first quality check point to 50 votes, instead of 25. So a movie will not be BLAMMED until 50 votes, if the score is low enough. Remember to always view a movie before you vote. This is only fair to those who took time to make something to contribute to Newgrounds. If you vote 0 or 5 without watching you may end up not getting a point! Remember, it is in your best interest to get as many of each type of point as possible, not just one or the other. So don't rely on a submission's current score to determine your vote. If you do, you may get burned! Especially new movies that don't have many votes yet. This is a critical time and extra care is needed to view the movie and make a good decision on if you think the movie will be BLAMMED or PROTECTED. Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point.

I like the new voting system! Everyone has time to veiw a flash before it hits 50 votes and nobody needs to wait to be the final vote!
It also is great that it doesn't require 0 or 5. A 1 one can blam, a 2, 3, or 4 is a save.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 01:53:08

Oh hey, Tom/Wade,
You know how you said only our first vote per movie is counted for determining blam/protection points?
Well, I'm not if you've noticed, but it's not working. Everytime I vote for a movie (that's under 100 votes) it'll say 'if this movie gets X-ed you'll get a X point!', even if I've voted on the movie the day before (even if I'm voting the opposite way).

Unless this just happens to be a display bug....

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 02:24:41

At 10/24/02 12:50 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have made some changes to the Portal voting system. We have increased the first quality check point to 50 votes, instead of 25. So a movie will not be BLAMMED until 50 votes, if the score is low enough. Remember to always view a movie before you vote. This is only fair to those who took time to make something to contribute to Newgrounds. If you vote 0 or 5 without watching you may end up not getting a point! Remember, it is in your best interest to get as many of each type of point as possible, not just one or the other. So don't rely on a submission's current score to determine your vote. If you do, you may get burned! Especially new movies that don't have many votes yet. This is a critical time and extra care is needed to view the movie and make a good decision on if you think the movie will be BLAMMED or PROTECTED. Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point

Did dis replace the Aura System? coz i waz checkin mah profile, and found out i could change auras x_X

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 07:33:03

i am the 69th reply. heh...69.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 09:51:40

At 10/27/02 02:24 AM, notsqually wrote: Did dis replace the Aura System? coz i waz checkin mah profile, and found out i could change auras x_X

no, we can actually choose our auras now, instead of having to vote 0's or 5's to get light or dark. theres less politics involved in that, so it works out for everyone

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 11:25:52

At 10/27/02 09:51 AM, MrPants wrote:
At 10/27/02 02:24 AM, notsqually wrote: Did dis replace the Aura System? coz i waz checkin mah profile, and found out i could change auras x_X
no, we can actually choose our auras now, instead of having to vote 0's or 5's to get light or dark. theres less politics involved in that, so it works out for everyone

Indeed--I still think that it's a huge improvement--especially considering that there is a huge gap between the light and dark auras. You'd practically have to destroy/support almost every single film you come across just so that you'll get the desired aura, which is rather ridiculous. The points system, however, is much better--and also determines how often you're viewing current portal entries.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 15:21:47

As far as blams go, very fair
I still can oly log into my account by entering my username and password on a post. My password is not accepted any other way.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-27 21:17:54

Fix the site. I mean it is running slower than shit today!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-28 05:51:53

Ive kinda been noticing, how now, flash movies get erased like even faster dan be4, because of this new system. People get more blam points, dats good, the whole newgrounds is getting cleaned up from gay stick movies, but some are voting for a 5 or 0, jus to get a protect or blam point. Thats y flashes r rapidly being deleted, or getting protected wen it doesnt deserve to be

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-29 10:18:16

At 10/28/02 05:51 AM, notsqually wrote: Ive kinda been noticing, how now, flash movies get erased like even faster dan be4, because of this new system. People get more blam points, dats good, the whole newgrounds is getting cleaned up from gay stick movies, but some are voting for a 5 or 0, jus to get a protect or blam point. Thats y flashes r rapidly being deleted, or getting protected wen it doesnt deserve to be

I agree with this. Not everyone is using proper discretion when it comes to voting on movies. An acquaintence of mine submitted a movie the other day and it started getting blammed immediately. Now whether or not I think it deserved to be is one thing, but the damn movie had been viewed half the amount it was voted on. So, as you can see some people are only considering the likelyhood of a movie being blammed, thinking only of getting another point. This may push some rather good stuff out, and in the case of protection points it'll keep crap in. I think the system needs a little refining... like maybe a way to make sure you've actually watched a movie before your vote counts towards it.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-29 21:14:32

i like it

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-29 22:00:30

How is popularity determined???

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-30 06:36:47

But Im sure people like blaming to keep the portal shit free.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-30 06:56:06

i love blamming things, and that cool little movie too.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-30 06:57:45

oh and i hate the stupid ppl who post stupid things to get blammed

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-30 16:29:44

I hate hackers, The new voting sceme rules, Pico should come back on the voting screen and IVE GOT A NEW GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!!!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-01 17:07:42

This new voting system rank thing downright sucks. It's not like the Portal doesn't have enough unethical voters as it is that they need a new incentive and opprotunity to act like a complete ass. I'm sure this has been pointed out, but the thing is three pages long and my modem's giving out, so I'm speaking my...speak...

Before, your typical unethical voter would log on to the Newgrounds Portal, vote 0 on a few movies then run away, because his points had been deposited, and thus his penis has increased in size. While I'm only speculating, I suspect that these unethical voters seldom actually came to the Portal to watch a movie, but instead just wanted to raise their power to feel bigger and tougher than everyone else. After that, they'd pretty much leave and the Portal would be safe from him until the next one came along, or the guy logged on to a different account. Either way, it was trafficking them, slightly.

But now, you can get BLAM or PROTECTION points even after your experience has been deposited for the day. Now, they have a reason to stick around and do double, triple the damage, because they'll be searching for scores so they can raise their BLAM or PROTECTION points. I saw about five movies on the Portal today that were GOOD! At least half the reviews for the movie favored it, but when I watched the movie, it was in the red. Whether the movie was good or not, everyone's going to be voting on it to get themselves a quick BLAM point. It's not fair, because the movie could have just got off to a rough start by some idiot who didn't really understand the concept of the movie and voted low, sending the movie into the red and rolling downhill, picking up more BLAM seekers as it went.

I'm working on a movie that probably won't be finished for a year. If it gets BLAMmed on its first hour because some dipshit didn't "get it" and voted low, causing everyone else to vote low, I'm going to be pissed. And if I resubmit it, people are going to point out that it was resubmitted and that's wrong, and they're going to BLAM it because of that!

The new ranking system is a neat idea, and I like the way it gives me more points (though I'm still a "civilian", so I don't actually get any more points), but it needs to be refined, and quick. Like, for one, make sure the fuckers are least WATCH the movie before they BLAM it based on its low score. That won't change their minds, but it might slow them down a bit. And if they don't watch the movie, delete their account and let the air out of their tires.

I've probably more to rant about...but can't remember.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-06 14:46:50

I noticed that voting 2 takes off points! That's rather nifty..

BLAMS!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-06 14:58:58

At 10/24/02 02:20 PM, tomrocks wrote: Where do people find old movies to vote on?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/list.php?which=mr&order=date

BLAMS!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-07 01:36:56

To save time on so damn long speech. Blamming is life around here. By blamming, tons of shit hit the crapper, never to return. Although some people seem to be gathering up protecting their movies from blamming. That isn't fair. But it is the way of newground, so i end by saying, blam the crap you hate and protect the ones you feel is right.

Remember to watch the movie at least once.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-09 19:18:13

cool. i like the whole ranking system. fun

BLAMS!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-13 09:39:02

At 10/24/02 06:10 PM, liljim wrote:
At 10/24/02 05:41 PM, Lpmofo wrote: This will just slow down all the crap being deleted, keeping it on for longer, what's the point of this? Getting an established score before getting blammed?
It might keep things on slightly longer, but the point is this: People are still voting early on in a movies' life in the Portal without actually viewing the movie. If a big (in terms of file size) movie enters the Portal, some users vote low on the movie purely on that basis - they're on a slow connection and rather than move on and find a movie that won't take an eon to download, they figure that the movie's crap and will vote low. This starts off a trend of low voting and might ultimately end in the movie being deleted at 25 votes - even if the movie's actually pretty good.

By upping the votes to 50 for the first blam checkpoint, the greater the chance of some advanced member who's willing to wait for the movie to load or someone who's using a fast connection to come and give the movie the vote it deserves increases. Therefore, good movies that have been given an unfair start by someone impatient have more time to settle out in the score average - and might ultimately get some sort of feature or even wind their way into the top 50 of all time list.

I would agree with that.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-11-13 13:13:26

btw, WHEN do I get a SAVE or BLAM point?

BLAM: When I belong to the first 50 voters and voted "Blam this"
SAVE: When the entry/video/game was at the verge of death but didn "die" and I was one of the people who votet 1 or better within the first 50 votes

Is that correct?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-12-07 14:12:24

poop, this just makes our life harder

Response to BLAMS! 2002-12-15 22:32:43

At 10/24/02 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Also we changed the color codes. So a movie with 3.00 or higher is GREEN, and a movie with a 3.50 or higher is BLUE.

The colors come after a movie has 100 votes.

well the new portal is kewl and all but i'm sure gonna miss the 25 vote threshold

Response to BLAMS! 2002-12-25 13:01:06

At 12/15/02 10:32 PM, DUDE4U wrote:
well the new portal is kewl and all but i'm sure gonna miss the 25 vote threshold

as will i