00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cositadog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

BLAMS!

12,221 Views | 133 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 18:36:51

this is a great new system! :)

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 19:26:32

Alright, way to go, Wade!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 19:58:46

At 10/24/02 01:08 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/24/02 01:05 PM, MortalMaxx wrote: i dont think it is a good idea.........
Can you explain why you think that? :)

well i'm not him but i'll explain it anyway. i dont' think it's really that good of an idea because look at the portal. people submit more and more so they can get the blams!! to be honest i think this plan of ur's has actually back fired. hell look at some of the totals for god sakes 80 in and like 600 deleted. i mean good god. one of my members of my club only had like 500 blams before this now he has 2,800 wuz the last time i checked and it's probably shot thru the roof since then. and protection people neerly have to live on the computer to see a good movie before it's released or before it hits 100 votes. don't get me wrong hell i luv it i only had 289 then and i have almost 600 if not over now. but even with this it's just another contest for us to do to se who will get more blams and protection points. also i would luv to see the levels hit 50 instead of stopping at 30. i bet the 3 tops users are getting tired of sitting at 29 and 30. that would actually be something to changed. i luv all the police badges and stuff and all. but i do like the changes. we will have to get used to the new settings but i bleieve we will like them over time. i also like how u have the new voting thing when u vote. i know it's been here for like a couple of weeks but i like it better this way. but the pico would always take forever to load. so i like that so thanks on my part. oh yea and to be honest wade i did have a suggestion. on the portal facts page where it shows all the different things it would be nice if u put up the top blams and the top protectors like u do the reviews. i'm not saying it for my benefit but i do it for the people who blam and protect flash

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 20:06:08

HEY EVERYBODY!! THE SNIPER IS DOWN!!!!

They've caught the sniper!!!! yeah, he's busted! John Muhammed is his name, and he had had a 17 year old accomplice. Freaky.

Anyways, I think the blam/protection thing is a good idea. Many people will be able to benefit greatly from this system, rather than going on points and xp alone.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 20:21:51

At 10/24/02 07:58 PM, DUDE4U wrote:

also i would luv to see the levels hit 50 instead of stopping at 30. i bet the 3 tops users are getting tired of sitting at 29 and 30. that would actually be something to changed. i luv all the police badges and stuff and all. but i do like the changes. we will have to get used to the new settings but i bleieve we will like them over time. i also like how u have the new voting thing when u vote. i know it's been here for like a couple of weeks but i like it better this way. but the pico would always take forever to load. so i like that so thanks on my part. oh yea and to be honest wade i did have a suggestion. on the portal facts page where it shows all the different things it would be nice if u put up the top blams and the top protectors like u do the reviews. i'm not saying it for my benefit but i do it for the people who blam and protect flash

Wade told me they might hold a Poll for New User Levels (which I hope they do cause New Levels would be awesome) as for adding a Top BLAMS/PROTECTION on the Portal I think that's a great idea.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 20:53:38

At 10/24/02 01:08 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/24/02 01:05 PM, MortalMaxx wrote: i dont think it is a good idea.........
Can you explain why you think that? :)
well i'm not him but i'll explain it anyway. i dont' think it's really that good of an idea because look at the portal. people submit more and more so they can get the blams!! to be honest i think this plan of ur's has actually back fired. hell look at some of the totals for god sakes 80 in and like 600 deleted. i mean good god. one of my members of my club only had like 500 blams before this now he has 2,800 wuz the last time i checked and it's probably shot thru the roof since then. and protection people neerly have to live on the computer to see a good movie before it's released or before it hits 100 votes. don't get me wrong hell i luv it i only had 289 then and i have almost 600 if not over now. but even with this it's just another contest for us to do to se who will get more blams and protection points. also i would luv to see the levels hit 50 instead of stopping at 30. i bet the 3 tops users are getting tired of sitting at 29 and 30. that would actually be something to changed. i luv all the police badges and stuff and all. but i do like the changes. we will have to get used to the new settings but i bleieve we will like them over time. i also like how u have the new voting thing when u vote. i know it's been here for like a couple of weeks but i like it better this way. but the pico would always take forever to load. so i like that so thanks on my part. oh yea and to be honest wade i did have a suggestion. on the portal facts page where it shows all the different things it would be nice if u put up the top blams and the top protectors like u do the reviews. i'm not saying it for my benefit but i do it for the people who blam and protect flash

More crap is submitted than good, so there will always be more BLAM points. People may submit crap just so they have something to BLAM. I don't see this as a problem because as it is now people are sitting around twidling their thumbs waiting for something to come in. I see no harm throwing some extra food to the sharks so to speak. :)

As far as the crazy BLAM totals the portal reports "625" or whatever, this is due to people searching out older movies that were close to being blammed, but never were. I know the BLAM club has organized sessions and searches out older movies that need votes, either to be blammed, or be protected. They watch the movie and determine its fate, they are very fair. So once all the old movies have been gone through and either protected or blammed, these huge totals of daily blams will cease. I guess we should add a "movies protected" stat on the portal page.

We are going to try and set up a list so people can search out movies that need votes. Also we will probably have lists showing the top ranking voters.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 20:55:21

At 10/24/02 08:06 PM, l_croft wrote: HEY EVERYBODY!! THE SNIPER IS DOWN!!!!

They've caught the sniper!!!! yeah, he's busted! John Muhammed is his name, and he had had a 17 year old accomplice. Freaky.

Uh, it's only been on the news since like 3am this morning. :) I guess you could say it was officially released until tonight, but you're a little late in your annoucement. :)

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 20:58:01

At 10/24/02 08:21 PM, NemesisM66 wrote:
also i would luv to see the levels hit 50 instead of stopping at 30. i bet the 3 tops users are getting tired of sitting at 29 and 30. that would actually be something to changed. i luv all the police badges and stuff and all. but i do like the changes. we will have to get used to the new settings but i bleieve we will like them over time. i also like how u have the new voting thing when u vote. i know it's been here for like a couple of weeks but i like it better this way. but the pico would always take forever to load. so i like that so thanks on my part. oh yea and to be honest wade i did have a suggestion. on the portal facts page where it shows all the different things it would be nice if u put up the top blams and the top protectors like u do the reviews. i'm not saying it for my benefit but i do it for the people who blam and protect flash

Wade told me they might hold a Poll for New User Levels (which I hope they do cause New Levels would be awesome) as for adding a Top BLAMS/PROTECTION on the Portal I think that's a great idea.

If we did add more levels, say taking it up to 50, it would still be a floating scale, so the guy who is Level 30 now would just jump to level 50, and everyone else would go up the scale with him. Vote power wouldn't change. The only benefit would be you would get a bigger variety of images to go through.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 21:00:38

yeah they caught those bastard snipers! 2 of em.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-24 23:18:06

Seems fair, most of the movies on the Portal lately have been green.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 00:53:46

At 10/24/02 09:00 PM, earthcrisis9101 wrote: yeah they caught those bastard snipers! 2 of em.

Don't be so fast. They caught the prime suspects, but unless they can prove w/out a reasonable doubt that they did it in every way then they can't keep him... although I do think that he'll be convicted. oh well. Voting system is aight, but I hate the fact that ppl will just press buttons and get XP, if anything I think people should get more XP for reviews. They take more time and energy. I see some people that are like like lvl 26 and they've written a grand total of 3 reviews. That's sad.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 00:56:31

At 10/25/02 12:53 AM, Laertes wrote:
At 10/24/02 09:00 PM, earthcrisis9101 wrote: yeah they caught those bastard snipers! 2 of em.
Don't be so fast. They caught the prime suspects, but unless they can prove w/out a reasonable doubt that they did it in every way then they can't keep him... although I do think that he'll be convicted. oh well. Voting system is aight, but I hate the fact that ppl will just press buttons and get XP, if anything I think people should get more XP for reviews. They take more time and energy. I see some people that are like like lvl 26 and they've written a grand total of 3 reviews. That's sad.

has something like giving XP for reviews been tried before? it should be, but maybe 4 XP for full reviews instead of 2 XP for pressing a button once.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 01:03:00

and oh yeah, NG is expanding too fast. For a looooong time it was doing just fine, going at normal speed, but now it takes around 8-13 seconds for a page to load. At first I thought it was just my connection, but i went to a different site to check and it loaded extremely quickly... we need ya Wade!!!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 01:47:36

GOOD!!! Stick to those changes seriously...That's an excellent idea! I get to watch some poopy flash for once while it lasts longer.

Fat peice of shit goes out with the girl I love-1999 Fat masculine looking bitch stalker squeals on me at work-2004 Rude Paramedics traumatized me with Hypnophobia-2006

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 04:48:00

YO FULP ARE U THE LEADER OFF n.g Because i just saw a guy with more points that u.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 04:59:16

just don't show the score before someone votes. that will make everything fair.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 07:23:45

talking of "blamming" take that piece of crap "snipe the snipers" game off the front page, no-way in hell does it deserve to be there. no-one of the people that have reviewed it think it is anywhere near good, its about as funny as stepping on glass in bare feet.
take it off!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 07:57:47

I think upping the checkpoint to 50 is a good idea. Should give the movies a better/fairer chance.

But I think there could be just a little more you can easily do. (not sure if anyone's suggested this already)
1. don't let someone vote unless he's seen the movie
or if that's too hard to implement, simply
2. don't publish the score for a movie unless it's passed 50 votes
This way, people won't what score a new movie currently has, and are MUCH less likely to vote without watching just get points. This could encourage people to watch and judge for themselves.

Hope you guys consider this. :-)

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 08:40:45

At 10/25/02 07:57 AM, GuineVir wrote: I think upping the checkpoint to 50 is a good idea. Should give the movies a better/fairer chance.

But I think there could be just a little more you can easily do. (not sure if anyone's suggested this already)
1. don't let someone vote unless he's seen the movie
or if that's too hard to implement, simply
2. don't publish the score for a movie unless it's passed 50 votes
This way, people won't what score a new movie currently has, and are MUCH less likely to vote without watching just get points. This could encourage people to watch and judge for themselves.

Hope you guys consider this. :-)

We don't have any easy way to prevent people from voting until they watch the movie. If we did this it would get messy and slow down NG. If we would hide the voting score we'd have to hide the first 100 votes. If we hid the score anywhere before 100 people would wait to vote so they could have a better chance of getting a point. Again I think if the score was hidden people who might have voted 2 or 3 if they were able to see the score, might vote 5 because they are nervous and want to give themself as much chance at a protection point as they can. That is of course if they think the movie has a good chance of being protected.

Also to the other question about exp for reviews, we will not do this. This will lead to people submitting tons of crappy reviews just go get exp points, which is not fair to users who have been coming to NG since 1999 and depositing everyday.

As far as people voting for points, they can't vote blindly or they will risk not getting points. So most people have been viewing before they vote from the best we can tell. Unless people are going back through old movie and see movies with 98-99 votes and a 3.15. Then they might just vote 3 or 4 because the movie will be protected regardless, so they just help get it there. Or the opposite, they find a movie with a .98 with 49 votes, so they just finish it off.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 10:09:03

People who might like a almost Blammed Flash can give it enough Protection points to dig it up. [img]http://banco.jogosonline.com.br/smilies/MegaMan/DOOD_2.gif[/img]

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 15:34:21

At 10/25/02 08:40 AM, WadeFulp wrote:
If we would hide the voting score we'd have to hide the first 100 votes. If we hid the score anywhere before 100 people would wait to vote so they could have a better chance of getting a point. Again I think if the score was hidden people who might have voted 2 or 3 if they were able to see the score, might vote 5 because they are nervous and want to give themself as much chance at a protection point as they can. That is of course if they think the movie has a good chance of being protected.

I was actually going to post a thing yesterday saying that I didn't really like the new system either, since I feel that if something has a good score, I'm kind of encouraged to vote above 1 to get a protection point and vice versa.

I do however definitely believe that if you hide the score until the number of votes is over 100, the system would truly work as it was meant to.

Also, the idea of a list of the portal entries with the fewest votes would be great. You don't need to implement it for a while - folk will dig through the older entries just now anyway to get some points - but after a couple of weeks you should definitely start the above list.

Is that what you meant anyway?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 17:51:19

At 10/24/02 12:50 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have made some changes to the Portal voting system. We have increased the first quality check point to 50 votes, instead of 25. So a movie will not be BLAMMED until 50 votes, if the score is low enough. Remember to always view a movie before you vote. This is only fair to those who took time to make something to contribute to Newgrounds. If you vote 0 or 5 without watching you may end up not getting a point! Remember, it is in your best interest to get as many of each type of point as possible, not just one or the other. So don't rely on a submission's current score to determine your vote. If you do, you may get burned! Especially new movies that don't have many votes yet. This is a critical time and extra care is needed to view the movie and make a good decision on if you think the movie will be BLAMMED or PROTECTED. Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point.

What difference will it make though?
I've seen tonnes of crappy movies on NG portal , increasing the BLAM point to 50 will just delay their deletion. I mean i doubt a movies ratings gonna change much from vote 25 onwards...

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 18:03:31

I'm not sure hot to blam or protect fully

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 19:19:32

At 10/25/02 08:40 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We don't have any easy way to prevent people from voting until they watch the movie. If we did this it would get messy and slow down NG.

Yup. I pretty much expected that.

Again I think if the score was hidden people who might have voted 2 or 3 if they were able to see the score, might vote 5 because they are nervous and want to give themself as much chance at a protection point as they can.

That's a good point... Damn, I guess there's no easy way out of this.
Oh well, leave it as is then. :-)

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-25 22:25:47

At 10/24/02 12:50 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have made some changes to the Portal voting system. We have increased the first quality check point to 50 votes, instead of 25. So a movie will not be BLAMMED until 50 votes, if the score is low enough. Remember to always view a movie before you vote. This is only fair to those who took time to make something to contribute to Newgrounds. If you vote 0 or 5 without watching you may end up not getting a point! Remember, it is in your best interest to get as many of each type of point as possible, not just one or the other. So don't rely on a submission's current score to determine your vote. If you do, you may get burned! Especially new movies that don't have many votes yet. This is a critical time and extra care is needed to view the movie and make a good decision on if you think the movie will be BLAMMED or PROTECTED. Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point.

Cool i like this idea.. keep em coming..

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 00:48:52

At 10/25/02 08:40 AM, WadeFulp wrote:

::

Also to the other question about exp for reviews, we will not do this. This will lead to people submitting tons of crappy reviews just go get exp points, which is not fair to users who have been coming to NG since 1999 and depositing everyday.

... you mean like how people give crappy votes? You would still have a daily cap of XP you can gets, still 10 pts, but you could write 2 reviews and 1 vote each day, it takes no less time than voting, but I think many people prefer writing a review that the animators can get more information out of. The only problem is, I have to vote 5 times and then take out extra time to give the submitters my feedback, so if I don't have time to write a review then in the end it's the animators that lose out.

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 03:19:04

At 10/24/02 02:00 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/24/02 01:47 PM, pubatch wrote: Any info going to be given out on what amounts you need to get to a new level with the protection/blams, or how the two numbers are pooled together to give you a general point? Other than me being confused by how it works, I like it.
It's simple, BLAM POINTS + PROTECTION POINTS = TOTAL POINTS = RANK.

2+2 = 4

Are'nt we supposed to get a percentage vote power increase with the blam, and protection points. I have some, and I used to see a difference, but now I get a 0% increase. How does this work?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 09:00:24

'Also learn to realize when a movie will be protected and has very little chance of being BLAMMED. When you can determine this you do not have to feel obligated to vote 5 to ensure a PROTECTION point. You could vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 depending on how good you think the submission is and still get a PROTECTION point'.

Ok, cool. Anyway, this is a newgrounds fan: (s)He sees a decent movie, and the score is 2.1 by then. (s)He would vote a 3 for that movie. But then (s)He realizes that omg, if i vote 5, it would make more difference, cause the movie has been voted by 200 ppl! So (s)He votes 5. Why dont u just make 'Good film' 'Bad film' and 'Blam this bitch' options?
Because ppl like numbers. But no one votes 1,2,3 or 4 anymore..? Answer me. What do you think?

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 09:03:27

Cool!I realy like the new system!

Response to BLAMS! 2002-10-26 10:19:48

At 10/26/02 12:48 AM, Laertes wrote:
... you mean like how people give crappy votes? You would still have a daily cap of XP you can gets, still 10 pts, but you could write 2 reviews and 1 vote each day, it takes no less time than voting, but I think many people prefer writing a review that the animators can get more information out of. The only problem is, I have to vote 5 times and then take out extra time to give the submitters my feedback, so if I don't have time to write a review then in the end it's the animators that lose out.

OH SHUT UP!!! Thats so crap i have written 60 reviews and if i'd get exp i would propably written 2000 review like this: 'bad movie, end of story' instead of this: 'Dear Kissmyass7847, your movie isn't the greatest, but because yoú are a newbie on newgrounds, that is ok. You should add some sound...etc...etc' If you have a REAL opinion of an animation, you should review it. If not, then you should not. If i'd post my flash movies to NG (wich ill maybe never do), i would go insane if 99 of 100 reviews were like this: 'An ok movie' or 'Good movie'. Jesus, stop bitching, Laertes, and kill Osama bin Laden. Sucker.