00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twitchinvisor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Atheist Army

230,871 Views | 3,464 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-09 04:46:54

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/colum nists/story/0,,2145124,00.html

you all might like that

and of course everyone can join, just post well, it's more than encouraged

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-09 05:23:16

That's just... peculiar word choice.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-09 05:38:58

I stopped after the second sentence. Sorry, but that dude was too pompous, IMO theres a difference between intelligence and just being a showoff. I mean I understand what he was saying but nah i didn't find it interesting enough to read all the way through.

/thread

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-09 06:11:04

It's good how the author is actually arrogant and pompous about the matter, but I say 'religion is definitely incorrect' and I get called as bad as Hitler.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-10 07:11:42

Nice Michael Jackson thread Kevin.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-13 19:11:21

Hey ladies.

I've just had a LOOONG week arguing with creationists.

I might make a post about creationist arguments because they're pretty predictible.

lol they think Darwin said Evolution was wrong on his death bed HAHAHAHA

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-13 19:56:32

RISE ATHEISM!!!! CAN I JOIN??

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 03:10:22

At 4/13/08 07:11 PM, Brick-top wrote: lol they think Darwin said Evolution was wrong on his death bed HAHAHAHA

This makes me cringe every time I hear it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 19:46:48

At 4/14/08 03:10 AM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 4/13/08 07:11 PM, Brick-top wrote: lol they think Darwin said Evolution was wrong on his death bed HAHAHAHA
This makes me cringe every time I hear it.

"the world is just too beautiful to just appear out of nothing"

For some stange reason a lot of the creationists I debated we're girls.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 22:15:50

Haha, I was looking through the Clubs & Crews forums looking for someone to join when this pretty little jewel caught my eye.

Mind if I join?

Sorry if I'm sort of off topic of whatever you guys may have been discussing.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 22:21:37

I'll be here to join. Should I state my reasons for being an atheist or anything special?

I've been Fab since the re-design,have you?

JUST BECAUSE I LISTEN TO COREY HART :'[

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 22:33:56

Yeah, both of you can join.

We were discussing my debates with young earth Creationists.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-14 23:07:44

At 4/14/08 10:33 PM, Brick-top wrote: Yeah, both of you can join.

Mind if I inquire as to why such debates were being held?

I've been Fab since the re-design,have you?

JUST BECAUSE I LISTEN TO COREY HART :'[

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-15 00:56:00

One is live from Hell, the other from Heaven.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-15 03:34:43

At 4/14/08 11:07 PM, cornbin wrote:
At 4/14/08 10:33 PM, Brick-top wrote: Yeah, both of you can join.

Mind if I inquire as to why such debates were being held?

Yep but I'm not gonna tell ya.

btw
*My beautiful children are PROOF that God exists*

lol I love those people.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-16 02:28:24

I can see in the future Christians being responsible for me committing homicide.
I'm sure of it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-16 18:03:49

At 4/16/08 02:28 AM, SadisticMonkey wrote: I can see in the future Christians being responsible for me committing homicide.
I'm sure of it.

I can see the future of there not being any Christians lol

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-16 23:49:32

That's impossible.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-17 13:29:53

At 4/16/08 11:49 PM, SapphireLight wrote: That's impossible.

How so?

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-19 15:35:36

At 4/17/08 01:29 PM, Brick-top wrote:
At 4/16/08 11:49 PM, SapphireLight wrote: That's impossible.
How so?

Because Christianity is the one true religion and God would never let it die out

duh

I just spent a week in India, that place is amazing. Eastern religions are also better than the three monotheisms (but still bad) (Caste system too)

India is a fucking great holiday destination tho, I was in Goa, I advise everyone visits Goa in April when there aren't many tourists about but it's not the rainy season; everyone who works in tourism treats you like a king. And the food is delicious and everything is very cheap.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-21 01:18:19

At 4/19/08 03:35 PM, Earfetish wrote: India is a fucking great holiday destination tho, I was in Goa, I advise everyone visits Goa in April when there aren't many tourists about but it's not the rainy season; everyone who works in tourism treats you like a king. And the food is delicious and everything is very cheap.

yeah but they are terrible drivers, did you have any car/motorbike accidents.

/thread

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-21 01:25:53

Religion seems to make people feel justified while they do evil, and good people feel better as they get trodden on.

/thread

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-21 02:41:59

At 4/21/08 01:18 AM, stinkychops wrote: yeah but they are terrible drivers, did you have any car/motorbike accidents.

My God I have never seen worse drivers. I actually saw 3 accidents while I was there, but we were fortunate not to be in any of them. And that was nothing to do with the taxi driver - overtaking on a blind bend or the crest of a hill is just the done thing there; there were a few moments where I thought we were all going to die.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-22 02:53:42

At 4/21/08 02:41 AM, Earfetish wrote: there were a few moments where I thought we were all going to die.

There's no Atheists in Indian Taxis.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-22 05:37:00

At 4/22/08 02:53 AM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 4/21/08 02:41 AM, Earfetish wrote: there were a few moments where I thought we were all going to die.
There's no Atheists in Indian Taxis.

lol, there must be a part in their religion where it says:
"All those who die in accidental car crashes due to reckless driving will go to the VIP room in Hindu Heaven, and skip the re-incarnation.

/thread

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-23 22:48:19

Who here has read the bible, I sadly am currently trying to obtain a copy, however I could read the Koran (sp?) but that would be even harder. So who here has read either of these books.

i know probably you guys have but I have never seen a copy.
Did you know the bible is the worlds most stolen book.

/thread

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-26 21:37:58

The Koran wasn't too hard to find. Of course, I imagine a muslim would tell you that isn't the proper Koran because it's in English and also Roman letters. Apparently the Arabic language itself and its written form are sacred in some way because Allah or Mohammad used them to express himself.

And hello, I'm an atheist, pretty much. Sometimes I get confused about what exactly I am, but that's ok. It's my firm belief that it's a mistake to hold firm beliefs. Reason is especially important to me, but so is humility and remaining aware to the present. I don't want to miss anything.

I also like to avoid pissing off anybody unnecessarily. Often this is simply a political or pragmatic consideration, since I live with people for whom Christianity is kinda a big deal. Like, avoiding unnecessary battles with my mother. She's always interjecting God into conversation, or remarking to me about how generous her Church is, or bringing up the subject of that morning's homily. If that were all it was, I could become comfortable with our difference of perspective, but as other atheists would understand it doesn't end there. She's revealed herself to be feel very uncomfortable with me thinking differently about the Catholic Church than she does, denies that I do not believe in her god, insists that my evident kindness and wisdom are symptoms of latent Christian belief, and has reacted very hostilely when I've tried to explain myself. As an adult today I wish I could have a friendly and genuine relationship with her as I used to long ago, but it would seem I can only be one or the other while religion is on the table.

I feel I can understand where atheists like Richard Dawkins are coming from, but I question whether their militancy is appropriate. To live as an atheist of that sort seems to mean wearing your objections as a badge and taking on all comers every day. I don't think I'm ready to live like that, and I doubt that intellectual combat is a necessary step on the path to enlightenment. Perhaps I'm flailing at a straw man; I don't know Dawkins as a man, only from hearsay. (Though I did read The Selfish Gene, but that had nothing to say about religions or atheism at all.)

I have one friend who graduated from a Methodist seminary. On the one hand she's a great friend, fun to hang around with and a source of great conversation, but on the other I had hoped to dig into the subject of religious belief, which hasn't happened so much. When she meets other Christians she'll happy talk about religion, but she won't respond to my questions. It makes me wonder if indeed there is nothing to talk about if you don't share belief. Her reaction makes me wonder if such atheists as Dawkins aren't really asking if the religions cannot share in civil, open discourse with the rest of the world, then why are we bothering to pay them any attention at all?

(On that note, I'm personally inclined to say that the Eastern religions have shown better behavior towards civil & open discussion than the Western ones. Reformed Judiasm appears quite polite too.)

I am a member of the Review Request Club.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-04-29 08:01:03

That's very interesting. I think Dawkins is asking for like an 'atheist pride' session, for atheists to 'come out of the closet'; I think the 'secular movements' goals are to change the media and education in such a way as to encourage scepticism and inquiry in these matters. Like I think he thinks we need to change the paradigm so that religious people aren't upset by such inquiry or where every religion has had the guts rationalised out of it.

http://thesciencenetwork.org/BeyondBelie f2/watch/ I was watching recently; obviously I prefer the ones you might disagree with like http://thesciencenetwork.org/BeyondBelie f2/watch/slingerland.php

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-05-03 17:21:59

If got made the first humans, in the beginning of the world. How come science proves that humans came afterdinosaurs? If god made humans anyway, then whats the point of human evolution? People who read the bible literally, are fuckheads.

AS: Main || AS3: Main || <-- Useful links.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-05-03 17:24:58

*sorry, god instead of got.

AS: Main || AS3: Main || <-- Useful links.