00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do Not ...

29,604 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Do Not ... 2005-04-13 03:11:10

Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

NG is a great community and we offer lots of FREE entertainment. I knwo many peopel just want to SHARE other songs, etc... however this can get into a legal issue.

The audio portal is designed so that NG members can upload and share THEIR OWN creations.... these can be used for submissions in the portal in either the games or short flicks department, etc.....

I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 03:48:57

You should mention that this doesn't cover covers (laff).

Covers are acceptable correct?

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 04:05:00

At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: I have recently had to ban quite a number of members from ever uploading audio. Hopefully this number will lessen and one day maybe even become next to nothing.

Yeah, I clear the pending list every 1-2 days, and am generally surprised at the number of people that submit songs by other artists... even chart songs, on occasion. Bear in mind when you upload that an audio ban lasts a looooooong time (technically, forever), and make sure you read the rules on the SUBMIT page

# You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.

# Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.

# If you turn out to not be the original author, you will be responsible for any repercussions.

# You are giving permission to Flash authors to use your audio, free of charge.

# You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 04:25:03

At 4/13/05 04:05 AM, Denvish wrote: # You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.
# Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.
# If you turn out to not be the original author, you will be responsible for any repercussions.

Just so I have it absolutely clear, by author you are talking about the writer of the song - music and lyrics -, so covers are definately not allowed?

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 04:32:25

At 4/13/05 04:25 AM, AGH wrote:
At 4/13/05 04:05 AM, Denvish wrote: # You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.
Just so I have it absolutely clear, by author you are talking about the writer of the song - music and lyrics -, so covers are definately not allowed?

Not too sure, actually, the rules could do with being clarified. Seeing as how a large percentage of the Video Game genre consists of remixed versions of game music, I'm guessing that Author means the person that recorded it... but as FDA said, if the music is copyrighted, then technically, I suppose covers aren't allowed. I have to admit I've let a few covers in on occasion though. I'll have to speak to the admins and get that point clarified.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 04:57:42

At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.

Well since i make remixes, and i am making the claim that it is my intellectual property, and will suffer the direct actions of the industry accordingly, can i still put my tracks up?

Or is it time i spread my wings and left newgrounds until i have some writing equipment?

Yeah yeah, its made from original artists work. I claim the remix as mine, with the original artists being given credit as they would in any respectable real life set. Since I'm not making any money, what can they really get me for?

Heh, i'm gonna regret bringing this up :)

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 05:59:07

Covers are NOT allowed.

Punk-o-matic clips are NOT allowed.

That's pretty much it.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 06:07:53

At 4/13/05 05:59 AM, RedCircle wrote: Covers are NOT allowed.

Punk-o-matic clips are NOT allowed.

That's pretty much it.

Apologies for seeming dumb, but i'd like you to clarify this; Am i allowed to remix, given the terms i stated, which i believe agree with the newgrounds rules?

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 07:30:46

At 4/13/05 07:16 AM, Zendra wrote:
Hehe, indeed. But they've made a longer story of it:

"# You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.

MY intellectual property, THEIR sources, so i'm a little confused on that.

I dont make loops. I make whole tracks and advertise them on here so people can review them and give constructive criticism.

See first point, cos i'm a little confused, as to what my role is. Maybe by asking i'm just asking for trouble, but i'd like to know.

Fine, its not like anyone wants to use my horrible madman shit anyway. And its not like its a copyrighted track that is being played, it is something made that i put my own creativity into to make, made from copyrighted sources.

# You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission."

I credit my sources where i can fit it in, and if i havent then i i've probably made the track name out the original artists tracks, such as Massif Amusement. Then all thats needed is a google search. Oops, my bad, i didnt realise Massif was a proper word, i thought Squarepusher stole it from youth culture. Anyway, just in case, Massif Amusement is a mix of squarepusher and weeksy.

So, even thought i'm juggling with fire, poking a tiger with a pointy stick etc, do i have to get out yet?

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 08:31:52

Wow. Nice job of requoting my post (which was already quoting the rules) without actually adding anything constructive, Zendra.

SpamWarrior: I think the third rule

is basically a disclaimer for NG, saying that they're not going to get involved in any legal action regarding copyright. So basically, if you get sued for using copyrighted material, NG will wash their hands of it, and you're on your own. Despite RC's comment about NO COVERS, the Video Game genre is full of remixed versions or versions played on different instruments, and I'm fairly sure that most of those tunes are copyrighted to Namco/Nintendo/Square Enix or whoever.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 10:06:51

At 4/13/05 08:31 AM, Denvish wrote: Wow. Nice job of requoting my post (which was already quoting the rules) without actually adding anything constructive, Zendra.

SpamWarrior: I think the third rule

is basically a disclaimer for NG, saying that they're not going to get involved in any legal action regarding copyright. So basically, if you get sued for using copyrighted material, NG will wash their hands of it, and you're on your own. Despite RC's comment about NO COVERS, the Video Game genre is full of remixed versions or versions played on different instruments, and I'm fairly sure that most of those tunes are copyrighted to Namco/Nintendo/Square Enix or whoever.

Hmmm well the way i see it a cover is a tribute to the original in most cases, tho i'm not sure what mxpx meant to achieve by covering barbie girl..... (shameless plug for a shitty remix)

As long as the originals are credited, i dont see the problem with covers myself, but i have no power or influence so i'll STFU :)

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 10:52:23

At 4/13/05 05:59 AM, RedCircle wrote: Covers are NOT allowed.

K then Ozcars music has to go, or at least the 4 covers he has submitted

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 12:23:55

At 4/13/05 12:21 PM, Maus wrote: Sampling.

lol. I guess that's a big fat NO then. Thanks for the info Maus.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 13:44:51

At 4/13/05 04:25 AM, AGH wrote:

COVERS are acceptable but this means they are remakes.. not REMIXES.... you can NOT include part of the original song.... no big samples aka chunks of the tune.... NONE in fact!

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 13:46:20

At 4/13/05 04:32 AM, Denvish wrote:
Not too sure, actually, the rules could do with being clarified. Seeing as how a large percentage of the Video Game genre consists of remixed versions of game music, I'm guessing that Author means the person that recorded it... but as FDA said, if the music is copyrighted, then technically, I suppose covers aren't allowed. I have to admit I've let a few covers in on occasion though. I'll have to speak to the admins and get that point clarified.

Covers can be permitted.... however as I mentioned... they must NOT inlcude portions of the original.

it is best to NOT upload covers.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 14:43:28

At 4/13/05 04:57 AM, SpamWarrior wrote:
At 4/13/05 03:11 AM, FDA wrote: Do not upload copyrighted material.... if I catch you or anyone else doing this.... you risk having your account suffer the consequences.
Well since i make remixes, and i am making the claim that it is my intellectual property, and will suffer the direct actions of the industry accordingly, can i still put my tracks up?

Or is it time i spread my wings and left newgrounds until i have some writing equipment?

Yeah yeah, its made from original artists work. I claim the remix as mine, with the original artists being given credit as they would in any respectable real life set. Since I'm not making any money, what can they really get me for?

no need to leave... but remixes are based upon the original. You do not really have the right to do the remixes as these are not official mixes and there for you are uploading someone else's work. Most audio portal sites would honestly feel the sameway if they realised the legality. While you may thinking that the legal folks would just got after you.. you are mistaken.... they would go after who is hosting the illegal file which is NG in this situation.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 15:12:16

At 4/13/05 02:43 PM, FDA wrote: Triple-post spam ;)

Cool, thanks for clearing the issue up somewhat, I have to admit I was very hazy with regards to what is permitted and what isn't. I'll add a link to this thread in my sticky reference thingy, and it might be a wise idea to 'tweak' the rules on the Audio Submit page with a bit more detail, since I'm sure I'm not the only one who is/was unsure as to what is allowed and what is not.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 15:19:55

At 4/13/05 02:43 PM, FDA wrote:
At 4/13/05 04:57 AM, SpamWarrior wrote:

no need to leave... but remixes are based upon the original. You do not really have the right to do the remixes as these are not official mixes and there for you are uploading someone else's work. Most audio portal sites would honestly feel the sameway if they

The work is at least partly MY intellectual property. The work i am uploading is not recognisable as any one artist.

Tell you what, i'll write to the artists them and email them, and if they do not reply, how about taking that as permission? It'd stand in a court of law as being permission through no denial. I'd be willing to try it anyway.

realised the legality. While you may thinking that the legal folks would just got after you.. you are mistaken.... they would go after who is hosting the illegal file which is NG in this situation.

Is it just me that feels like it would be negative publicity for the music industry if the industry was to try to take down a site full of legitimate artists? There would be a massive surge in hate for the industry i think, tho it is only speculation?

I believe it would cause its own death if its actions crushed young talent which could make them money in the future. So i'm pretty sure they would come after me, and i would accept the circumstances and explain my position.

I KNEW I SHOULD'VE KEPT MY FUCKING MOUTH SHUT.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 17:32:25

the artists themselves don't neccessarily own the rights. Click the link I provided, it goes into it in a lot more detail.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 17:41:38

At 4/13/05 05:32 PM, Maus wrote: the artists themselves don't neccessarily own the rights. Click the link I provided, it goes into it in a lot more detail.

Apologies, i didnt see your post. I could swear it werent there before.

Anyway, i've decided to give up the fight. Its about time i started learning to write anyway.

I was just on a buzz, and now its time to be over and for a new one to begin.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 18:14:20

so if you get a dong and just play it backword or slightly alter it is that ok?

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 18:17:46

At 4/13/05 06:14 PM, LegendaryPancake wrote: so if you get a dong and just play it backword or slightly alter it is that ok?

If you play it bacwards, theres a good chance no one will notice. If you slightly alter it, they will. The reason no one will notice the backwards song is that backwards songs sound shit mostly if you leave them backwards all the way through :)

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-13 18:42:57

this is in the rules man you dont have to reemphasize it.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 02:36:37

At 4/13/05 12:21 PM, Maus wrote:
At 4/13/05 07:30 AM, SpamWarrior wrote: MY intellectual property, THEIR sources, so i'm a little confused on that.
Sampling... [big linky-type thing]

"There are basically three situations you might encounter when it comes to using another artist’s song on your album. You can use the actual full song, sample a song, or cover a song. All three of these uses require permission and a license."

Therefore, covers are the same thing as just uploading someone else's music.

(just clarifying)

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 06:50:48

who cares about all this bullshit about copyrighted songs and samples.

if you cant find a sample or a synth thats not copyrighted somewhere on the net then you are fucking dumb.

there shouldnt be a problem with all the songs, people are just being fags.

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 08:15:43

At 4/14/05 06:50 AM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: who cares about all this bullshit about copyrighted songs and samples.

if you cant find a sample or a synth thats not copyrighted somewhere on the net then you are fucking dumb.

there shouldnt be a problem with all the songs, people are just being fags.

Chill the fuck out. What if people are new to the entire thing? Its only natural to want to remix things you like, as much as it is natural to sit down and right something from scratch.

Sure, takes skill to make you're own, takes just as much natural talent to spot tunes that mix together in interesting ways.

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 14:35:41

No covers?

Bang goes my music career then. ;)

Help, I'm trapped inside this guy's signature!

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 16:47:32

Covers can be permitted.... however as I mentioned... they must NOT inlcude portions of the original.

it is best to NOT upload covers.

ok.... i found out that you can sing 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" to the music of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." If i do my own recording of myself performing this, this is ok? i just need to be entirely sure....

Response to Do Not ... 2005-04-14 16:54:57

There are many melodies that are similar, but not exactly the same. It's being able to take that bare (and i must stress - BARE) basic, and building on it to make it your own. Otherwise there would be no music without a billion permission requests because there are only so many drumbeats, bass riffs, etc.

Rap was a bad example to use, because of the sheer volume of sampling done in the industry.