00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do Not ...

29,614 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-11 22:18:00

So, it IS against the rules to upload a song written by another person even if you have permission from the rights-holder to upload it? Is it also against the rules to upload a remake, remix, cover, etc. of a song written by another person with their permission? Or an almost completely original work with a sample or two from another artist's song, with permission? What about doing any of those with a public domain song?

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-11 22:20:54

At 11/11/08 10:18 PM, Dodopod wrote: So, it IS against the rules to upload a song written by another person even if you have permission from the rights-holder to upload it?

Correct.

Is it also against the rules to upload a remake, remix, cover, etc. of a song written by another person with their permission?

Depends. Did you write the remix or whatever? Also, did you avoid using samples? Then you're fine. Otherwise, no.

Or an almost completely original work with a sample or two from another artist's song, with permission?

With permission, go for it. :D

What about doing any of those with a public domain song?

Public domain is public domain, go for it.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-11 22:58:00

At 4/13/05 04:05 AM, Denvish wrote: # You are making the legal claim that it is your own original work.

# Loops you made from existing copyrighted songs are not your own original work.

# If you turn out to not be the original author, you will be responsible for any repercussions.

# You are giving permission to Flash authors to use your audio, free of charge.

# You will remain the owner and credited author of the submission.

Dude, the staff should put all that shit on CAPS on the Audio Portal page! And say "Dude if you want to upload something to this site.....bla, bla bla....NOTE: If we catch you submitting copyrighted work we're gonna track you down and make sure you rot in jail for the rest of you god dam life.

Srsly this ppl think this is YouTube or something...

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 02:52:27

Quick question on samples...

If we use something small, such as a short voice clip out of a movie trailer or something like that, or use a voice clip that has bounced around the genre a bit (such as "Shit is about to get real now" or "Get Wicked"), is that ok or is that pushing it a bit?

I'm wondering since I have several cases where I've done this...actually...a TON. Same goes for countless other artists.

ps: I really hope I don't wind up having to remove some of my good tracks due to this D:

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 06:01:05

i dont get it.. i read the rules when i joined and they weren't that hard to figure out.. why are there so many dumbasses on here that cant figure out simple rules.
And the AP has some of the best minds on newgrounds...
To the stealers and fakes---YOUR MAKING US LOOK BAD --ASSHOLES!!!!!!!

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 08:01:30

As copyright goes, you arent allowed to use anything from an artist until 75 years after his/her death. If you were to cover a classical piece then the person would have to be dead by about 1940. Unless the rights have been passed on to a buyer or family member.

Covers, although completely remade by yourself in copyright law is still illegal. You need documented allowance to re-create the piece of music, to do your own cover. So typically, anyone who makes a remix, without permission by the creator can be potentially sued.

The reason why it seems to be okay alot to make covers is that people to make alot of money from it. If it were to go public for money then you would most definetly have them on your tail. Samples are a no-no. From anything without permission. The misconception of it being under 30 seconds of a sample is a lie. It is a load of rubbish.

If you recreate something which is obviously made to be similar to a certain piece, (art or audio) then you can get sued for plagiarism. Something like a guitar riff, bass riff, specific sound, or theme copy then you are copying, hence breaking copyright act.

Copyright law is a hole different section to law. It's massive. And one of the modules I had to take for my Honours Degree. I recently had Animation Mentor pull copyright on me when I recreated a 3d character and animated him which was inspired by their character. LegalAction was implied to say that the character was copied. Even after I had linked the original inspiration back to their website. I made all the character, rig, textures, lighting everything myself, yet they still had the right to pull copyright on me. Which they did.

So, you may not make money, you may be inspired, but even being inspired can get you into trouble.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 08:07:13

Goddamn no edit...

>_<
The reason why it seems to be okay alot to make covers is that people DONT make alot of money from it.

and whole, spelt with a W.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 16:01:19

if light of the recent discussion on this thread...a few posts before mentioned its a no-no to upload songs written by relatives. may i present

number 18 in the top 30....

it makes me sad! it's not even his own work, and clearly states its someone elses..there are several songs he has submitted under the same circumstances.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-12 21:15:20

So wait....if I take, say....a T.I. song and record myself singing with him and post it

- THAT'S ILLEGAL?

Just kidding, I know it's not

where's Rucklo with his ban hammer?

...the four right chords can make me cry

Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-11-13 11:19:50

Actually, you take anyone's song and sing it, then post it on anywhere you are breaking the law. As you didn't have rights to cover the song.

That's the mistake people make, they think just because you aren't making profit, you aren't doing anything illegal. You don't need to make profit of anything to break the copyright act. Copying is enough. The reason why people get away with it is that the majority of the time the person/company/band/etc don't mind the extra publicity. If you sing their song, put it on youtube of you singing it, they aren't being hurt by it, instead they are getting publicity. However, as I said, AnimMentor pulled copyright on me, and I wasn't making a single penny from what I done.

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-03 23:02:44

so as long as its in public domain or you have the original authors permission then your ok?

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-04 00:52:51

At 12/3/08 11:02 PM, sarias wrote: so as long as its in public domain or you have the original authors permission then your ok?

Here's some reading material for your questions.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-09 23:55:28

so basically, if i wanted to make an orchestral song into NOT orchestral, but rock, does that mean i can't post it here?

I mean, it would suck if i couldn't.

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-11 23:09:02

So let me ask this question:

My friend created a song (OMG Like no way you have friends? [joke] ) but he wants to post a song but it was based off another song so it sounds like it (not too much but its close) would he get banned for it?

"a three hour experiment to breathe life back into Radiogrounds," THE ORGY CAST WITH KAROKARRA AND GREY SHADO EVER SUNDAY 8-10PM NG TIME

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-11 23:13:23

and a message to everyone about the covers question:
Simply put Since the composer/ writer created the song he or she owns everything so in that case you can't unless you wrote it and you lets say a acoustic version of your song that you wrote.

"a three hour experiment to breathe life back into Radiogrounds," THE ORGY CAST WITH KAROKARRA AND GREY SHADO EVER SUNDAY 8-10PM NG TIME

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-11 23:17:13

At 12/11/08 11:11 PM, diminitive wrote:
At 12/11/08 11:09 PM, Grey-shado wrote: So let me ask this question:

My friend created a song (OMG Like no way you have friends? [joke] ) but he wants to post a song but it was based off another song so it sounds like it (not too much but its close) would he get banned for it?
No, as long as he made his own version without sampling the original (directly cutting sounds from it, and pasting it in his own)

Thanks he was wondering that for a while I guess he's going to flood the audio portal now >.<

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-28 23:35:37

At 4/14/05 08:15 AM, SpamWarrior wrote:
At 4/14/05 06:50 AM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: who cares about all this bullshit about copyrighted songs and samples.

if you cant find a sample or a synth thats not copyrighted somewhere on the net then you are fucking dumb.

there shouldnt be a problem with all the songs, people are just being fags.
Chill the fuck out. What if people are new to the entire thing? Its only natural to want to remix things you like, as much as it is natural to sit down and right something from scratch.

Sure, takes skill to make you're own, takes just as much natural talent to spot tunes that mix together in interesting ways.

Now this is interesting... considering I did the same thing and got banned for it. but I suppose I deserved that counting I didn't quite understand the rules... I suppose I was a bit slow on the uptake. so I guess I had it coming... oh well, nothing I can do about it now

Response to Do Not ... 2008-12-29 08:18:17

At 12/9/08 11:55 PM, Syhitcguy wrote: so basically, if i wanted to make an orchestral song into NOT orchestral, but rock, does that mean i can't post it here?

I mean, it would suck if i couldn't.

Theoretically you can. If it's just a midi with guitar noises plopped on top, then no, you can't.

It still has to be your own ORIGINAL work. That doesn't mean you made EVERYTHING including melody and stuff, it basically means every remix someone makes has to be a scratch remix.

Which means making it from scratch LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOPL

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Do Not ... 2009-03-04 17:55:37

I got one simple question (since i didnt get much out of this thread);
Is it okey to put up remixes of videogame music? (Like, tetris, zelda, DKC and shit).

Couse that is basically what i do, i make remixes of VG music.

Response to Do Not ... 2009-03-04 18:20:38

At 3/4/09 05:55 PM, 8bitRush wrote: I got one simple question (since i didnt get much out of this thread);
Is it okey to put up remixes of videogame music? (Like, tetris, zelda, DKC and shit).

Couse that is basically what i do, i make remixes of VG music.

You can... but keep in mind you'll be one of 9,000 people on this site that just makes remixes... If you're looking to just do VG remixes, try OCremix or something. Tough to get on to, but thats what that's there for.

If its just a midi with different sounds, NO it's not allowed. It's supposed to be "Your own original work" and technically VG remixes shouldnt be allowed, unless you change it so it's not just a remake...

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Do Not ... 2009-03-04 21:38:57

At 3/4/09 06:20 PM, Envy wrote: If its just a midi with different sounds, NO it's not allowed.

That sir... is a double negative... unless you put a coma after "NO"...

Anyways about half of the portal is nothing more than midi rips and random buttons pushed on a drum machine.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com

We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!

Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2009-04-28 05:49:37

Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.
See, in my very first submission (which is awaiting approval) I used a vocal breakdown from a song I'd rather not mention, but it is commercial.
The vocals were not sung, merely spoken, and the words that were spoken were NOT the intellectual property of the artists involved, they are actually popular sayings from a lot of different websites.

Seeing as I sampled this, I will probably get banned, but the fact that I included just the vocals alone and the artist does not own the rights to those words, I should not be.

Is this a valid argument? Btw the whole song by me is original, the only thing I put in was those words.

Response to Do Not ... 2009-04-28 06:12:57

At 4/28/09 05:49 AM, ViceOfFire wrote: Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.
See, in my very first submission (which is awaiting approval) I used a vocal breakdown from a song I'd rather not mention, but it is commercial.
The vocals were not sung, merely spoken, and the words that were spoken were NOT the intellectual property of the artists involved, they are actually popular sayings from a lot of different websites.

Seeing as I sampled this, I will probably get banned, but the fact that I included just the vocals alone and the artist does not own the rights to those words, I should not be.

Is this a valid argument? Btw the whole song by me is original, the only thing I put in was those words.

Lyrics, just as poems and novels, are subject to copyright. Just because "they're simply words", does not mean someone, somewhere, doesn't have legal right to call them their own.

For example, if I were to write my own song, and sing the lyrics of a popular song over top of my original progression, I could be sued for using copywritten material.

Not to mention... samples are pretty much forbidden, as well as loops. The idea of newgrounds is to submit completely original content, not take things from others and use it to your own ends.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2009-04-28 06:22:40

At 4/28/09 06:12 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 4/28/09 05:49 AM, ViceOfFire wrote: Sorry to bump a month old thread but I thought it would be much better than making my own.

Lyrics, just as poems and novels, are subject to copyright. Just because "they're simply words", does not mean someone, somewhere, doesn't have legal right to call them their own.

For example, if I were to write my own song, and sing the lyrics of a popular song over top of my original progression, I could be sued for using copywritten material.

Not to mention... samples are pretty much forbidden, as well as loops. The idea of newgrounds is to submit completely original content, not take things from others and use it to your own ends.

What I said was that they weren't the artist's words, if you had read what i wrote.
They are quotes from someone (I forget who)
And they weren't sung either, so there is no intellectual property in a tune or w/e.

So basically it's just spoken words that are not their own.
I'm not even sure if it was their own sample.

Response to Do Not ... 2009-04-28 08:15:49

If you use a recording (using those words as a sample) that means that you're using someone's else recording(duh !) which is copyrighted as recording.
If those words are "popular proverbs" "folklore sayings" or other public domain poems, you can record yourself and use.

Using a copyrighted recording is a NO-NO. (doesn't matter what is on the recording)

Response to Do Not ... 2009-04-28 16:39:49

What Soro said... said it so much better than I did.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2009-06-13 01:12:28

well, can you use some of the tunes on this as a background beat/melody whit the authors accept? i just got a thumbs up from soundshifter to do a cover/remix of the windmill theme, and im kinda worried that i might get suspended, i put some flanger, increased the tempo a bit andd the key of the tones, and after that, i made it dual layered, so it sounds like dueling guitars... would this be not accepted? do i need to do some more than that to get accepted?

yours, metallkylling

BBS Signature

Response to Do Not ... 2009-06-13 05:04:44

If the track is from Newgrounds you can remix it, it's under Creative Commons licensing:
"Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this music, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one."

Now about remixing, if you just put an effect or speed up a track, it's not really a remix.
If you slice it to bits, rearrange, add new parts, record on top some other synths or voices, put a solo guitar... now that's more creative.
But that's more about quality and not legality or NG rules.
It's up to you to decide if that's quality enough. If it's from Newgrounds you're ok.

Response to Do Not ... 2009-07-06 14:02:32

At 7/6/09 01:55 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?

You're*

And legally, I don't even think that's true. Even if it is, there's a difference between LEGAL rules aka laws and NEWGROUNDS rules. This is about what's allowed on the site you're on, being Newgrounds.

get it?

Response to Do Not ... 2009-07-06 14:10:37

At 7/6/09 01:55 PM, MkieNedachi wrote: Your wrong.
Legally we can use 9 seconds of a track.
Would you like to argue about it?

This is more like a urban legend than a legal truth.
Actually, people who studied laws know that there is not such law.
If you still think that this law really exist, provide a link to it, I DARE YOU.

Also, as said before, Newgrounds rules are more strict about.