00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xochibunsai just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Voting

47,309 Views | 456 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 13:00:56

At 12/6/04 12:47 PM, SharkStein wrote:
At 12/6/04 12:22 PM, SharkStein wrote: So you mean is the turd movie is 5 mins of crap you have to watch it entirelly and then vote ?
Wade, wanna answer my question ?

I will answer that question for him, since he has already answered questions like that earlier in this thread.

You don't have to watch the entire movie to vote. Just watch enough of it to make an honest vote. How much of the movie you need to see is your choice. It may be 5 seconds, it may be 2 minutes. Just not 0 seconds. GOT THAT?!

And Wade, if you are reading this, now would be a good time to update the FAQ with this "vote fairly" rule. Wouldn't you agree? By the way, I was wondering if you would make a link for HNT: Abusive Reivews by Jujube Lock for the "Review Guidlines" part of the FAQ. That flash gives more in-depth on what an abusive review looks like and will benefit those who can't (or are too lazy to) read.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 13:17:56

At 12/6/04 12:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote: This question has been answered already, as other people have asked the exact same thing.

Ok sorry fot that, Wade !

At 12/6/04 01:00 PM, agatio wrote: I will answer that question for him, since he has already answered questions like that earlier in this thread...

Thanx agatio !

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 13:26:43

At 12/6/04 12:44 PM, Yesthatsme13 wrote: Hey Wade; 1 Question, does it count if i dont *look* at my submissions before I vote 5 on them? I try to do it everyday to boost my Batting average, i`m not doing nothing illegal, but if i`m not allowed to let me know... I dont want my account blocked (there has enough shit been done on my account)

thanks@!

That's should be fine. If your flash is already on the portal pass judgement it's fine. And if it's your own flash it's fine to give it a five because whether it's bad or not everyone else will really decide on how the scorewill turn out. You can vote on anything you want without watching it if it's passed judgement. If it's in the judgement stage and it's other people's work you should definitely have a good look at the flash before making your voting decision.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 13:30:07

At 12/6/04 02:34 AM, MasterGehn wrote: Fascist? Come on, they(admins)'ve got better things to do than to mess with crappy users that abuse a pretty cool system. Those who abide by the ridiculously simple rules and behave normally by voting fairly will never have anything to worry about.

I never said I wasn't in favor of the program. So here's my idea. Either update the voting rules so that people have been warned of the penalty or put a warning up on the portal. The warning wouldn't have to be big.

For the people that don't read the front page news, tough shit!! Read the damn news!!! It's your responsibility as a good little NG user to stay informed...it takes all of about 1 minute every time you're on the site!!! How hard is that??? It's not like every user's getting forced to read 10 pages of bullshit...just simple notices here and there!

More often than not people skip the front page. It takes too long to load and it just wastes time if you only came to vote on submissions.

At 12/6/04 11:33 AM, -Gooie- wrote: I highly doubt that, Wade-poo. Mostly everyone does it, and no, this isn't a confession.

Wade has already proven that he's monitoring the situation. I'm inclined to believe him,

So the Toadies have to be fair now?

No. If you have enough fanboys you can make it look legitimate. Besides it's only one flash and they're looking for trends on people as opposed to trends on flashes.

Ironic that you voted for Bush.

LOL! You went there.

At 12/6/04 11:42 AM, WadeFulp wrote: I find when I meet other Republicans they are very politically informed. However, whenever I meet Democrats they always say "Uh, I don't follow politics" and have no clue what's going on.

You ought to visit the politics forum more often. We find the exact opposite.

"He's not Bush!" etc.

You have to wonder what makes a country vote for an alcoholic who immediately started to sink every business he owned.

Wade procedes to explain.

So you're willing to overlook his evils to get what you need. Ok, I can respect that.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 13:33:43

hahahahaha no

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 14:21:00

\
Hey Wade , You gonna answer me or not????????????

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 14:21:51

At 12/6/04 11:58 AM, Professor_Rhythm wrote:
At 12/6/04 11:56 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: The people who vote fair will be rewarded with more voting power, but those select individuals who cheat the system and do not vote fair will just lose some of their voting power. So then the people who vote fairly will cause the movie to be judge much more fairly.
What? I voted fairly but I'm not going to get the point because the other 197 people didn't watch it.

I watched it, but i didn't think it deserved to get through the portal. It didn't have any sound, or a preloader and it didn't have a terribly interesting story. I gave it a one, because the person put some effort into the animation, but it had no sound and no greatly memorable storyline which are pretty important in my opinion.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 14:40:24

I'm sure I would be someone who is considered to have abused the voting system. Anyways, I remember sometime in the last year you had to load the entire entry before you could vote...why not just go back to that system? I don't watch a lot of entries now because I don't have to...I can just click "watch movie" and then vote. In the other system, I am much more likely to watch the movie since I already had to wait for the entire thing to load.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:01:46

i have a query what happens if we want to save a movie because we like it or find it fun to play there for we vote 5 and its actual score is on 2.3 or something does this meen we can get banned just because we like it more than other people?
also if we find a movie mildly amusing or good can we still vote 5 if it is in the portal in the attemt to save it?
hope you reply!

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:03:47

Huh, how about that.

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:12:53

I don't think NG just checks to see whether the votes are 0 or 5, they probably also time-stamp your votes, so if you make 5 votes within 2 minutes...

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:17:25

At 12/5/04 11:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

I wait till the flash is loaded to vote, but by the begining of the film we can tell if its shit or not, also if you right click and press play you can stream films, and this is wha ti do

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:18:43

At 12/6/04 12:16 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 12/6/04 12:07 PM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: in theory, but as you can see in this example, it hasn't worked
That's why we're making a big effort to catch the people abusing the system, who have a lot of power, so that after their power is taken away, the responsible voters will over power them.

But then those users get cut some slack. & the whole concept goes out the window. If you want the situation to better then you have to start making examples of abusive users. Regardless of how well you know them or like them.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:32:06

You should put the system back in were the voting panel wont show up until the movie is fully loaded again. I know this will mean that it could waste time on some submisisons of oyu waiting for a 5mg file to load and its complete rubbish. But with the way some peoples preloaders are set up you can't watch the movie until its fully loaded anyways so that shouldnt matter.

I would like to see the voting panel dissapear until the movie's loaded because it could be tempting to vote before its loaded and you have only seen the preloader if its taking a while.
I want to know if my account- id=339908 - is on the list (though I wouldn't think so) but won't know if I got the email because geezer got into my account n changed email address, so if I got the email, he'll of recieved it.
When I vote if I think it should definately be blammed I didn't vote, So i only really saved submisisons, but I didn't just throw 5's at them all to rack up saves.
Though I do this purely to get a nice ratio it doesn't harm anyone. Plus, voting 2 on a submission that should be blammed isn't going to effect the outcome. Wereas voting 0 on a protected submission will give it a lower score than it should.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:38:13

Wade,

I just read your first post a little bit ago, flipped out a little bit, and emailed you.

Then I read later posts of yours explaining how you don't have to watch the entire flash as I first thought you meant. Few movies need to be watched all the way to conclude your opinion on them.

I've never received a warning so I am going to continue getting as many points I get, because like I said in my email, I have had 2 weak college semesters in a row and simply just have a whole lot of free time and I get points to consume my time. I've been watching flash on here for years and I know were the bar is set these days.

Also, I'm a Wi/Ht? member and often times answer people's questions and help them find various flash, and I wouldn't be able to do this without watching all the flash previously.

If you have time, respond to the parts of my email that aren't covered in this post if you could please.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:44:17

At 12/6/04 03:28 PM, Dobio wrote: BTW, I think an announcement of people who have been busted, who are high up, would be a great addition. :D

I agree. A 'Wall of Shame,' if you will.

I quit voting on Portal submissions a while back, because I felt like I wasn't doing any good voting fairly. The stuff I thought was crap was passing, and the stuff I liked died an ignominious death.

If this works out, I will be more likely to start voting on the portal again. It was enjoyable, and I found a lot of my favorites that way.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:45:32

Finally! Now all the artist will get a score they deserve so they wont have a fake fealing that they are good or bad. Thanks.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:49:15

I'm a actually pretty glad that this has been enstated. I got sick and tired of submitting a flash, and looking at its score 10 seconds after it uploaded and seeing it sitting at a 1.23 or whatever, on a 2 min flash. This should straiten some of the stuff out.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:52:33

At 12/6/04 03:49 PM, Onic51346 wrote: I'm a actually pretty glad that this has been enstated. I got sick and tired of submitting a flash, and looking at its score 10 seconds after it uploaded and seeing it sitting at a 1.23 or whatever, on a 2 min flash. This should straiten some of the stuff out.

Yup, I remember when I submitted one of my submisisons. As soon as I uploaded it and went to its portal page, I opened it up and voted 5 ( hey, its my own submission no harm in that!)
The score should be at 5.00 then considering if people have gone and played through the game theres no chance in hell they could have voted before me. But it was at 0.76. Ended up around 2.40 or so now.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:52:39

Thanks a lot for the email Wade :)

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:54:03

How do you know if someone is cheating?

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:57:02

At 12/6/04 03:54 PM, -BigFoot- wrote: How do you know if someone is cheating?

They have their methods. The less we know, the better, because then the cheaters can't figure out a new way to cheat quite so easily.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:58:00

I'll try to answer some more questions.

Hiding the vote panel was great, but it didn't work on certain web browsers, so we had to change it, and so far there isn't a way to do it the way we would like. Although Liljim is trying to find other ways to discourage voting abuse. One way maybe to put a timer on the vote bar. Meaning if we detect you are on a broadband connection, and we know the movie will take 20 seconds to load, the vote bar may stay hidden for 20 seconds, or maybe 40 seconds so we knonw you had time to watch at least part of the entry.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 15:59:00

Oh yeah, the wall of shame idea. We have stayed away from this because there are losers out there that need attention so much that they will go to great lengths to violate our rules and abuse our system just to get their name posted.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:03:54

ok Wade I will keep voting as fairly as I can on all flash work hope I'm not one of the ones you have tracked down

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:04:09

At 12/6/04 03:58 PM, WadeFulp wrote: I'll try to answer some more questions.

Hiding the vote panel was great, but it didn't work on certain web browsers, so we had to change it, and so far there isn't a way to do it the way we would like. Although Liljim is trying to find other ways to discourage voting abuse. One way maybe to put a timer on the vote bar. Meaning if we detect you are on a broadband connection, and we know the movie will take 20 seconds to load, the vote bar may stay hidden for 20 seconds, or maybe 40 seconds so we knonw you had time to watch at least part of the entry.

I think the timer idea is good! btw on my browser (internet exsplorer) The voting pannel stays hidden until the movie is loaded, i think AOL is the one which has problems with that.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:08:03

I've noticed that there are several submissions from first time authors, that are at least worthy of a 2.20ish, but they end up getting blammed, while users that already have several submissions can submit blatant crap and get it passed.

Though this is most likely just repeating what this thread is all about, I just wanted to feel I somehow contributed to this :O

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:09:27

At 12/6/04 04:03 PM, Dobio wrote: How about a "Moderator's only" wall of shame?

Eh Wadeypoo? Eh?

*insert wink and sucking noise here*

or maybe for everyone who is NOT a moderator.
wink wink

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:12:47

At 12/6/04 03:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Oh yeah, the wall of shame idea. We have stayed away from this because there are losers out there that need attention so much that they will go to great lengths to violate our rules and abuse our system just to get their name posted.

Bring on the wall of shame!!!

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:23:21

Don't know if anyone had a thought about it, but what about Portal mods? People who check everyone's votes and will report if they notice someone who doesn't vote appropriately. With these around, I doubt people would be dumb enough to vote 0/5 according to number of submissions and/or batting avarage.

Also, glad to hear that you're trying to take care of the problem. I though the other day of making a flash and submitting it, but then realized it has no chance of passing judgment with the current system and the way it works, even if it is a decent piece of work.