00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Voting

47,193 Views | 456 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:31:55

At 12/6/04 11:08 AM, pythagoras- wrote: Oh yeah, though I should point out the flaw in your system's logic here, since.. you know.. My opinion is always right.

Well, some people, like you, look at everything in a negative light.

The facts are we have a lot of regular portal voters that are fair, know what they are doing, and our systems works very well for the most part. There is still that little element that likes to screw around, and for the most part they don't do any major harm, but I like to keep a lid on them as much as I can. There will always be morons abusing the system, but I don't see why I can't try and prevent them from getting out of control.

We reward the under judgment voters because it can be a real drag to go through all the crap that comes into the Portal. Also if they do a good job we want to reward them with more voting power so we have informed people making more influence on an entry's score. However, if we catch these people with high voting bonuses abusing their status, we will take their points away.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:33:43

At 12/5/04 11:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote: we know who you are and are watching.

I highly doubt that, Wade-poo. Mostly everyone does it, and no, this isn't a confession.

So know this, those users who we catch doing this will have ALL of their BLAM and SAVE points removed.

So the Toadies have to be fair now? Awww. I'm a Toadie... not..

If you continue we will take away experience points and possibly terminate your account all together.

Can you remove their heads, too?

If the first 10 seconds are little stick figures moving across the screen for without any body movement, I'm blamming it.

casting your informed vote!

Ironic that you voted for Bush.

If we see you cutting corners we will punish you, as you do not deserve the rewards we have given you.

Agreed

If you have done this in the past

because there is a law against that ^_~

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:34:44

At 12/6/04 11:21 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: Sometimes there are some flash on the portal in which if i voted a 3 or a 5 it really wouldn't make a diferent because everyone else would vote 0... when i truly believe a certain flash has potential. Too bad we cannot leave comments or some sort of message for people to view the entire flash before voting after the first two seconds.

This is probably something the author should state in their comments. "Be sure to watch the whole entry! The beginning starts off crappy as a joke!" or something. :)

However, don't feel pressured by the masses to vote 0 on something you think deserves a 3 or 5. Take a stand, give it the support you feel it deserves, and if you miss out on a blam point, is it that big of a deal? If more and more people do this, the tide will turn.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:40:26

I always vote what the movie deserves, sometimes I push wrong, that happens when you wear glasses, you get cross eyes. Maybe I should read all the posts and think about this case. I know I vote fair and scquare. Bur he people always judge things on there cover and not reading the book.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:41:30

At 12/6/04 11:34 AM, WadeFulp wrote: This is probably something the author should state in their comments. "Be sure to watch the whole entry! The beginning starts off crappy as a joke!" or something. :)

exactly, sometimes flash artists make a very bad author's comment.
Flash artists that say "vote fifffen!" ... almost everybody won't vote a five or even higher than a one.

then there are flash artists that say.. "well i'll do better next time"
And that will be an indication that the movie isn't very good. Although it might be good enough in which it should be saved on newgrounds.

so in other words, some users will judge based on a person's author's comment.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:42:22

At 12/6/04 11:33 AM, -Gooie- wrote:
casting your informed vote!
Ironic that you voted for Bush.

I consider myself to be more politically informed than most people. I watched every one of the Presidential debates. I listened to both candidates during their stump speeches. I listened to countless hours of political analysts from multiple media outlets, etc.

I find when I meet other Republicans they are very politically informed. However, whenever I meet Democrats they always say "Uh, I don't follow politics" and have no clue what's going on.

I often ask when they tell me they support a Democrat for President "So what will Kerry do to help you?" or "What do you like about Kerry?" and that's when I get the "Uh, buh, uh, I don't follow politics" or "He's not Bush!" etc.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:45:18

At 12/6/04 11:33 AM, -Gooie- wrote:
At 12/5/04 11:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote: we know who you are and are watching.
I highly doubt that, Wade-poo.

Is that right.

Portal Voting

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:48:25

Here's a good example entitled "mouse"
http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/206316
the graphics look alright at first.. but if you keep watching, it's animated quite well. there's no sound but i still thought it deserved to stay on the portal. It definitely had the potential... so i left a review to the author in which he or she should add background music.. sound fx and perhaps some buttons so that the movie doesn't loop. But anyway, it really was a cool movie so i gave it a 3.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:49:27

At 12/6/04 11:45 AM, liljim wrote: Is that right.

-Gooie- got owned majorly there. I dont think i am on that list, i havent had an email anyway.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:51:07

At 12/6/04 11:48 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: Here's a good example entitled "mouse"
the graphics look alright at first.. but if you keep watching, it's animated quite well. there's no sound but i still thought it deserved to stay on the portal. It definitely had the potential... so i left a review to the author in which he or she should add background music.. sound fx and perhaps some buttons so that the movie doesn't loop. But anyway, it really was a cool movie so i gave it a 3.

I was just about to post a link to that same movie to use as an example, I voted a 2 and raised it to about 1.3, how are we supposed to compete against this?

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:55:31

At 12/6/04 11:48 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: Here's a good example entitled "mouse"

Me too, I really liked it, only it lacked sound and smoothness, this should be saved, so we encourage the fella to make more, so that he gets better. Sorry, I feel like an angel, I need to protect the good flashes and kill the bad flashes.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:56:31

At 12/6/04 11:51 AM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: I was just about to post a link to that same movie to use as an example, I voted a 2 and raised it to about 1.3, how are we supposed to compete against this?

The people who vote fair will be rewarded with more voting power, but those select individuals who cheat the system and do not vote fair will just lose some of their voting power. So then the people who vote fairly will cause the movie to be judge much more fairly.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:58:23

At 12/6/04 11:56 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: The people who vote fair will be rewarded with more voting power, but those select individuals who cheat the system and do not vote fair will just lose some of their voting power. So then the people who vote fairly will cause the movie to be judge much more fairly.

What? I voted fairly but I'm not going to get the point because the other 197 people didn't watch it.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 11:59:49

Sometimes I just wanted to vote and the movie is already gone :(, and that is not funny.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:02:37

At 12/6/04 11:50 AM, Zendra wrote:
At 12/6/04 11:49 AM, dawsdani wrote: -Gooie- got owned majorly there. I dont think i am on that list, i havent had an email anyway.
What is that list anyway? :)

His votes on different movies i think.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:03:05

At 12/6/04 10:44 AM, WadeFulp wrote: I know I have seen many entries that start off poorly, more as a joke, and then kick into something really good! If people judge the whole movie on those first 5-10 seconds and vote 0, and then it passes judgment with a 4.25, that's not going to look very good when we're reviewing their history. I'm not saying we'd base a decision on a single vote, but if we see a pattern of this behavior, then we'll look into penalties.

The way I see it, an animator that employs that kind of tactic is taking a big risk. I do, in fact, vote reasonably and if I see an animation that starts off with 5-10 seconds of crap, I know that 90-99% of the time the rest of the animation will be just as crappy. I'll often check to see if the author has other submissions that have passed and if at least one of their animations has survived, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and keep watching. Otherwise, I know the odds favor the scenario of a bored teenager lobbing a piece of idiocy at the portal and hoping it sticks. I don't see any reason to change my tactics and so far I'm not on your naughty list. But in case someone like me finds their b/p points missing, is there any kind of appeal process or are the points gone for good?

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:05:03

At 12/6/04 11:58 AM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: What? I voted fairly but I'm not going to get the point because the other 197 people didn't watch it.

from what Wade said earlier, those users that do not vote fair will either have their account terminated or all their blam/save points removed. So then the user who voted unfairly will have less power when voting and therefore the movie will be judged with a legitament score.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:07:15

At 12/6/04 12:05 PM, YoinK_VineS wrote: from what Wade said earlier, those users that do not vote fair will either have their account terminated or all their blam/save points removed. So then the user who voted unfairly will have less power when voting and therefore the movie will be judged with a legitament score.

in theory, but as you can see in this example, it hasn't worked

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:16:31

At 12/6/04 12:07 PM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: in theory, but as you can see in this example, it hasn't worked

That's why we're making a big effort to catch the people abusing the system, who have a lot of power, so that after their power is taken away, the responsible voters will over power them.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:17:33

At 12/6/04 11:41 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote:
At 12/6/04 11:34 AM, WadeFulp wrote: This is probably something the author should state in their comments. "Be sure to watch the whole entry! The beginning starts off crappy as a joke!" or something. :)
exactly, sometimes flash artists make a very bad author's comment.
Flash artists that say "vote fifffen!" ... almost everybody won't vote a five or even higher than a one.

then there are flash artists that say.. "well i'll do better next time"
And that will be an indication that the movie isn't very good. Although it might be good enough in which it should be saved on newgrounds.

so in other words, some users will judge based on a person's author's comment.

I for one agree with that. In fact, Jujube Lock made that point clear in his movie "
Avoiding Blamnation (HNT) ". And I quote:

"People on NG will blam your work simply because it has a poor title. A title generally describes content. So if you have a title like "Pointless", people will blam your flash, thinking it is pointless...when choosing a title, be sure to stay away from the generic, be origonal and witty..." "...Another important aspect for first impression is the commentary. Newgroundites are usually unsympathetic and will kill you if it would give them a blam point. Here's an example of what not to say. Telling people you are a 1st time submitter is like wearing a 'Please eat me' sign in a cage filled with Bengal tigers. Also saying your entry might be blammed or asking "Please don't blam this" is like going near a bonfire while you are doused in gasoline. Lastly, don't cop out completely and leave no commentary. If you are too lazy to write a 15 second commentary, then you are probably too lazy to make a decent flash."

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:17:50

At 12/6/04 11:31 AM, WadeFulp wrote: We reward the under judgment voters because it can be a real drag to go through all the crap that comes into the Portal. Also if they do a good job we want to reward them with more voting power so we have informed people making more influence on an entry's score. However, if we catch these people with high voting bonuses abusing their status, we will take their points away.

And thus giving the morons more power to be morons with!

(yeah yeah, negative light ;)

At 12/6/04 11:45 AM, liljim wrote: Is that right.

Comedy gold.

At 12/6/04 11:42 AM, WadeFulp wrote: I often ask when they tell me they support a Democrat for President "So what will Kerry do to help you?

So what has bush done for you, and more importantly, the wider community and the world at large? And what do you expect him to do in the next 4 years?

I don't care much for debates and political speak, and neither do many others. It's Bush's ACTIONS that have spoken to many as being rash, irrational and often deceptive. Luckily, I'm not American so I don't have to support Kerry, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I support Bush. The fact that people are willing to support a rich middle-aged white man they dislike, simply because they dislike another rich, middle-aged white man EVEN MORE says a fuck of a lot. Not only about the candidates themselves but the state of democracy in general.

Bleh, politics. It's lose-lose and you know it. :)

And yeah, "not american, view invalid" but it's pretty much the same in every democratic country. The only difference is, the rest of the world has to hear of America, so they can damn well hear from us. =D

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:22:00

At 12/5/04 11:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote: However, we have been aware of some users abusing our system. They think it is fun to rack up the BLAM and SAVE points we award to our users who take the time to help filter through all the content. These people have been voting on entries without watching them in hopes of increasing their point totals. Well, we have news for you, we know who you are and are watching.

So you mean is the turd movie is 5 mins of crap you have to watch it entirelly and then vote ?

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:30:17

Yo Wade - why doesnt you or Tom answer your e-mails. Lazy poos.

Anyway, I think it's cool that you've enforced this law, but how does it work? If the user has voted say like 0 5 times in a row, does it say "you cannot vote 0 anymore! haha pwnage time begins.. lowering level N to level n-2. mwuaha.. deleting reviews.. delteing experince points". anyway, you catch my drift.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:31:07

At 12/6/04 03:37 AM, CrowStar wrote:
At 12/6/04 03:20 AM, BananaBread_Muffin wrote: You should put the voting screen at the end of the movie on under judgement entries.
and what about movies that loop?

Curses! Damn you and your clever thinking! Foiled again!

Well.... the voting box should be in the pop up window, I do think that. On all movies. Just to encourage viewing.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:31:31

At 12/6/04 12:17 PM, pythagoras- wrote: Bleh, politics. It's lose-lose and you know it. :)

Well, that's the truth. In the USA we have to pick between two people, and usually they both stink and we wish there was a better option. So we have to go with one of them, and it's like "Do I want cancer, or aids?" I'll take cancer, because I can still have sex and not worry about infecting someone else. :)

Plus we can only know so much. What these people do behind closed doors is anyone's guess.

Bush is pro-business, so if you work for a living you're probably better off with a Republican in office. Lower taxes, etc. Being married, and a home owner, Bush's tax cuts have been a help for me. I currently do not have to pay a higher tax rate because I'm married, but Kerry and his supporters would rather tax us married folk.

Also 9-11 was a pretty crazy event in our country. Our main financial district was hit. It was a kick in our nuts for sure. The terrorists knew where to hit us where it would hurt the most. So I think any President if forced to make some form of rash decision to respond to such an event. It's going to be a mess for a long time, but I have hope the civilized people of this world will win in the end and future generations will be better off for it.

Oh well, this political shit is getting off topic. :)

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:41:04

Hope it doesnt happen too me(not sayin i do)I just got up to police captain

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:44:00

Hey Wade; 1 Question, does it count if i dont *look* at my submissions before I vote 5 on them? I try to do it everyday to boost my Batting average, i`m not doing nothing illegal, but if i`m not allowed to let me know... I dont want my account blocked (there has enough shit been done on my account)

thanks@!

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:47:15

At 12/6/04 12:31 PM, WadeFulp wrote: I'll take cancer, because I can still have sex and not worry about infecting someone else. :)

Quoted for accuracy. You sly devil *winks and nudges wade akin to Monty Python*

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:47:25

At 12/6/04 12:22 PM, SharkStein wrote: So you mean is the turd movie is 5 mins of crap you have to watch it entirelly and then vote ?

Wade, wanna answer my question ?

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 12:59:11

At 12/6/04 12:47 PM, SharkStein wrote:
At 12/6/04 12:22 PM, SharkStein wrote: So you mean is the turd movie is 5 mins of crap you have to watch it entirelly and then vote ?
Wade, wanna answer my question ?

This question has been answered already, as other people have asked the exact same thing.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature