00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Voting

47,202 Views | 456 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:27:15

At 12/6/04 03:28 PM, Dobio wrote: I'm glad I basically stopped depositing. >:P

BTW, I think an announcement of people who have been busted, who are high up, would be a great addition. :D

then we should do the same with users banned from the BBS, banned from reviewing and deleted users, right?

If we show to everyone who got busted for one reason, why not show people that were busted for another reason?

Isn't how justice works?

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:28:17

far too many votes to keep track of for mods opting to help out in thier free time. Way too big a task i would think.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:31:43

At 12/6/04 04:08 PM, j00bie wrote: while users that already have several submissions can submit blatant crap and get it passed.

You should know.

Portal Voting

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:35:06

At 12/6/04 04:31 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:08 PM, j00bie wrote: while users that already have several submissions can submit blatant crap and get it passed.
You should know.

Amen.

I'm also tired of shitty Star Syndicate collab animations (DailyToons, _____ Tribute, etc) passing judgement because everyone gives it an automatic 5.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:40:05

At 12/6/04 04:38 PM, Jetninjin wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:35 PM, Swive wrote:
I'm also tired of shitty Star Syndicate collab animations (DailyToons, _____ Tribute, etc) passing judgement because everyone gives it an automatic 5.
im also tired of IWP getting awards because everyone gives him an automatic 5.

You can say the same for any popular artist. IWP just submits movies more frequently.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:41:37

At 12/6/04 03:28 PM, Dobio wrote: I'm glad I basically stopped depositing. >:P

BTW, I think an announcement of people who have been busted, who are high up, would be a great addition. :D

Omg i totally just passed you in BP!

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:43:02

hopefully this post will get some people to stop.

Now You Have To Wash The Floor And Do All Of My Laundry!!!!

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:44:59

wade i have a few things to ask...

what's with the new NG logo before every flash that comes up before the actual preloader, but only if you're not logged in? the only problem i have with this is that i rarely log in, spare to deposit a couple of times a month, or to post something, and i noticed that it can sometimes ruin the mood of a flash.

what's going on with the console contest? is that finished?

one last thing. here's how i vote on under judgement flash: i watch the movie, usually the whole thing,(maybe a few times i've voted without watching simply because of an under 10k filesize or a 'DBZ STIK SK8TING HENTAI ADVENTUR' title), and i vote either a 0 or a 5. i don't do this due to laziness, i do this because if i want it to stay in the portal i give it a 5. that would effect it the most. regardless if i enjoyed it or if i semi-enjoyed it, i feel that it is a quality flash that deserves to stay so i vote 5 to get full effect on that end. if it's poor work, which i feel shouldn't be in the portal at all, why should i vote 1 when i could vote a 0 and do the most damage to it, a flash which i either know will be blammed, or a flash that i don't think deserves to stay?

when it comes to passed judgement work, i sometimes just use 0-5 and those in between, because now that it's passed i can give it what it deserves. but when it's underjudgement, i think of it as a yes(5) and a no(0) thing, where i want it or i don't.

also, is it fair to vote 0 on an under judgement flash movie because you despise the author and feel he shouldn't have another award to his... talentless hack self?

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:48:21

At 12/5/04 11:59 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

The people who contribute to our site work very hard on their entries (well the people who submit quality content anyway) and they don't deserve to have people casting an uninformed vote on their entry!

AMEN! its people like the random voters who see to it that i can't get ONE-SINGLE-DAMN-FLASH on this site, no matter how hard i work! next step i guess would be the crazy voters who vote for completely unrelated things.....

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:50:13

At 12/6/04 04:44 PM, madhatt3r wrote:
one last thing. here's how i vote on under judgement flash: i watch the movie, usually the whole thing,(maybe a few times i've voted without watching simply because of an under 10k filesize or a 'DBZ STIK SK8TING HENTAI ADVENTUR' title), and i vote either a 0 or a 5.

Well thats fine currenty I'd assume because it'll try to outweigh the mad amount of 0's. But then if everyone started to vote fairly then you 5iving somthing would give it a higher score than it would deserve. Because theres no need to try to outweigh the mass amount of 0's a submission might get. So if all goes dandy then there would be no need to 5ive somthing to ensure it gets saved because everyone will vote fairly....will that happen?
Hopefully.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:54:21

At 12/6/04 04:35 PM, Swive wrote: I'm also tired of shitty Star Syndicate collab animations (DailyToons, _____ Tribute, etc) passing judgement because everyone gives it an automatic 5.

look.. i'm tired of you people saying that the star syndicate gets people to mass vote on the dailytoons.

i made two or three of those, and i know as a fact that no one is gathered to mass vote on them. a personal friend of mine was in charge of them for a while, and all he did was pick a random time during the day where he had nothing else to do, went to the dailytoon gmail account, picked 5 toons he had recieved in emails from ANYONE (you do not need to be a member of the star syndicate to make a daily toon) threw them all together with a menu and submitted them. they are just for fun, there is no conspiracy here, no organized mass voting. honestly, i enjoy them because it's just shitty fun, and it allows users with no skills to get something to thier name if they want.

having dailytoons isn't going to effect your life. we aren't stealing awards from more talented authors, nor are we enforcing our toons onto you guys. you can watch it, vote how you like, whatever. with something like an average score of 2.00, these things are nothing more than ordinary flash in the portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 16:57:33

ok wade, i read the whole topic, but i couldn't find the answer to my
question: i mostly vote 5 on movies or games i like, to make sure the
movie stays online. in a perfect world, i wouldn't have to do that, but with
all these 0 voters, who to be realistic won't vanish, it sometimes is
impossible to save a flash worth saving.

oh, and please forget about the timer idea. i don't want to have to wait 10
seconds to vote on a 'vot3 teh fifen fo pr0n' movie.

btw....am i on the list ? :0).

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:00:21

At 12/6/04 04:31 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote: You should know.

Youre right, I am a perfect example of this.

Last night I submitted a 2 frame movie, 1 being a preloader, and it passed.

Sure, of course I voted 5 on it, but that's it... it passed with something like a 1.61.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:02:49

At 12/6/04 05:00 PM, j00bie wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:31 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote: You should know.
Youre right, I am a perfect example of this.

Last night I submitted a 2 frame movie, 1 being a preloader, and it passed.

Sure, of course I voted 5 on it, but that's it... it passed with something like a 1.61.

But why do you keep submitting stuff like that? Just to annoy people and for a chance to flame bad reviewers like me?

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:05:54

At 12/6/04 04:09 PM, YoinK_VineS wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:03 PM, Dobio wrote: How about a "Moderator's only" wall of shame?

Eh Wadeypoo? Eh?

*insert wink and sucking noise here*
or maybe for everyone who is NOT a moderator.
wink wink

wink to the third power.

What about some type of scarlett letter punishment. & we all get access to their home address & phone #'s.

Or some type of secret ban. Where they "think" they're posting but really aren't & believe nobody cares about their opinions. That would make almost anybody leave. I sometimes feel like I'm on this "secret" ban, a virtual bar where nobody knows my name, & I've just made a fool of myself. Ohhhh I need more friends.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:06:10

At 12/6/04 04:54 PM, madhatt3r wrote: look.. i'm tired of you people saying that the star syndicate gets people to mass vote on the dailytoons.

Amen to that madhatt3r.

i made two or three of those, and i know as a fact that no one is gathered to mass vote on them. etc.

Whenever the Daily Toon is submitted, there is no 'mass voting' going on.
Of course if one of the members see it in judgment, theyll surely throw a 5 at it, but there's usually only about 6 or 7 members on at a time, and it requires 200 votes.

If you want to point fingers at people for 'allowing' these to pass, point them at the blam/protect consciece 'noobs'. Theyre the one wanting the protection points more then you want your blam.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:07:24

yeah um forgot the question, is that also an untolerable voting behavior ? :^)

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:09:30

At 12/6/04 05:02 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote: But why do you keep submitting stuff like that? Just to annoy people and for a chance to flame bad reviewers like me?

For one thing, I cant submit stuff, Ive had 2 flagged flashes for the longest time, I got a buddy of mine to submit it.
I dont have access to his account, so I cant be responding to the reviews.
The daily toons account is a shared account, and that also isnt me responding to (most) of the reviews.

Wade's post is actually sort of convenient, because last night when this 'tribute' was submitted, I was surprised that it passed.
If the authors 'j00bie' or 'TheStarSyndicate' werent affiliated with the flash, it would have been blammed in an instant.

Hence, the blam/protect consciece 'noobs'.
At least you have half a brain more then they do, i'll give you that.

The problem with your reviews is that theyre abusive :D

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:09:34

At 12/6/04 04:54 PM, madhatt3r wrote:
At 12/6/04 04:35 PM, Swive wrote: I'm also tired of shitty Star Syndicate collab animations (DailyToons, _____ Tribute, etc) passing judgement because everyone gives it an automatic 5.
look.. i'm tired of you people saying that the star syndicate gets people to mass vote on the dailytoons.

I never said the Star Syn. got people to mass vote 5 on their movies. I was saying that ignorant fools just give them a 5 for a silly protection point without even watching the "movie." I put the word movie in quotes to emphasize the gayness of Star Syndicate's flash.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:14:45

i <3 the star syndicate, they make funny movies....

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:17:10

At 12/6/04 05:09 PM, j00bie wrote: The problem with your reviews is that theyre abusive :D

HEY! That was ONE review! Usually I try to avoid writing abusive reviews at all costs. But I realize now that I shouldn't have reviewed that flash at all, mainly because there isn't much to say about that kind of flash, and certainly not anything constructive.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:19:14

At 12/6/04 05:17 PM, Aapo_Joki wrote: But I realize now that I shouldn't have reviewed that flash at all, mainly because there isn't much to say about that kind of flash, and certainly not anything constructive.

You could avoid watching them all together, that would solve the problem.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:21:58

Yeah, it just occurred to me.
What exactly is "good," and what exactly is "bad?"
Most of you think you know what is good and what isn't. This is usually what the opinions of good and bad are to the users of Newgrounds. Keep in mind that this is only from what I have seen from the little experience I have on this subject.

Good: Anything that took an honestly long time, anything that is pleasing to the senses, with smooth, fluid graphics, (i.e. Bitey of Brackenwood. )
It also should stick to the genre it applies to. For example, if it's a comedy, it should be funny, etc. The sound should be clear and of a good quality. Finally, it should be original.

Bad: Any movie that was created in the name of hate, malice, or prejudice. (That's the "moral" definition. I don't care if you can animate so well my eyes explode, I'm still going to give you a zero if it purposely preaches a message of hate.)
The real definition of a bad movie would be any movie with poor-quality graphics, and little to no creativity, (i.e, B .)

Of course, that doesn't account for taste or interest, which leads to my next statement (beware, Ranting Ahead)

I consider myself a Clock. That is to say, I would vote five on a StrawberryClock or any other clock movie, no matter how bad the graphics or the quality.
The same applies to certain good or bad flash artists and their fans. For example, the relationship between the famous artists Piconjo and LegendaryFrog.
From what I have seen, Piconjo basically despises the "mainstream" flash artists, such as LF, The Super Flash Brothers, Richie and John Zirbes (Pikanjo), and Illwillpress. He regularly creates poor-quality flash movies that are meant to humiliate and insult these artists, while masquerading behind a "Piconjo luvs j00" nice-guy facade. Despite the fact that most of his movies aren't directly his own (Piconjo jams), he has managed to amass of horde of fans to his side. Why these people like him is beyond me. Perhaps they are tired of LF's pride toward his success. Maybe they always hated him. Nonetheless, they vote zero on it because it comes from any of these "good" authors.
As you all may know, Piconjo has recently turned his sights toward Wade and the Portal security, producing movies like "Bezitzen Sie (which, in case you haven't seen it, is Piconjo's vision of a corrupt, evil Portal, led by the evil "Wadolf" and his army of gay "toadies") and others.
Meanwhile, LegendaryFrog and the others have been seeming to stay away from that subject. I once IM'ed LegendaryFrog, and he claimed that he didn't know who Piconjo was. They seem to simply want to entertain Newgrounds with the movies that they make.
This is how it should be. No movie should contain a message like 'vote 5,' or 'legendarey frog sux cock', or any "political" messages that may affect how the viewer will vote.
Why? Because that type of message has a name: Propaganda. \
The Portal is a democracy (in a sense), and voters should treat the submissions fairly, voting on the movie as only they want to, with an honest opinion.

In conclusion, I support Wade's decision.
If you have any questions, for me, just ask.
(And now I'm done being a smartass.)

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:31:23

At 12/6/04 05:19 PM, j00bie wrote: You could avoid watching them all together, that would solve the problem.

Noted. And I already have basically. But I'm going to keep watching and voting on movies that are under judgement, regardless of who the author is.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 17:55:50

why not have the vote bar attached to the flash file? then you have to see the whole god damn animation and the vote on it

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:03:23

Thats a great idea, but now I REALLY have to clean up my voting.

I like making movies, music, and smoking weed. Call me crazy.

Video Production Club Create, Share, Discuss with fellow NG video enthusiasts!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:05:44

At 12/6/04 05:55 PM, Canadian-Beer wrote: why not have the vote bar attached to the flash file? then you have to see the whole god damn animation and the vote on it

That doesn't address looping flash, or retardedly long awful, terrible flash.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:17:11

I love you Wade. Thank you.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:20:35

At 12/6/04 04:54 PM, madhatt3r wrote:

i made two or three of those, and i know as a fact that no one is gathered to mass vote on them. a personal friend of mine was in charge of them for a while, and all he did was pick a random time during the day where he had nothing else to do, went to the dailytoon gmail account, picked 5 toons he had recieved in emails from ANYONE (you do not need to be a member of the star syndicate to make a daily toon) threw them all together with a menu and submitted them. they are just for fun, there is no conspiracy here, no organized mass voting. honestly, i enjoy them because it's just shitty fun, and it allows users with no skills to get something to thier name if they want.

having dailytoons isn't going to effect your life. we aren't stealing awards from more talented authors, nor are we enforcing our toons onto you guys. you can watch it, vote how you like, whatever. with something like an average score of 2.00, these things are nothing more than ordinary flash in the portal.

Yeah seriously you guys, WTF? The Star Syndicate is not some evil corperation out to get you and to protect their movies. They are just a group of animators with the talent to have their work pass. If you wanna bitch about it and start your own fucking syndicate out to get the SS(COUGH YACHT BOY COUGH), listen to me for a sec, they just have their fans and their haters. It's the exact same thing with LegendaryFrog, I personally am not a big fan of him, and his stuff passes, but I don't bitch about how his whole fan club helps him out and that's it right there, it's all fair and square, so fuck off.

Response to Portal Voting 2004-12-06 18:22:22

At 12/6/04 05:21 PM, BrainClock wrote: This is how it should be. No movie should contain a message like 'vote 5,' or 'legendarey frog sux cock', or any "political" messages that may affect how the viewer will vote.

messages that may effect how the viewer will vote? the viewer is voting on the message of the flash! if i want to make a movie with three frames that says 'NEWGROUNDS IS FOR HOMOS' flashing over and over again, i am free to, and you are free to vote however you want.

saying that we should limit our spectrum of topics in which to make a flash about in order to preserve some sort of ideal system of voting which is not influenced by the thing that you're voting on is absolutely retarded.

BBS Signature