00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I’m trying to sketch every day this month

1,279 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Because I’d rather not be using AI to make quick images for role plays and whatnot, I decided I’d finally confront my perfectionism and do a sketch every day of December. I started late, because of how long it took me to motivate myself, so at this point I’m deciding whether to try to catch up or just stick to one a day.

Most of these will be fandom related due to hyperfixation and all that, but if you have an idea of something for me to sketch that isn’t “draw my OC”, send it and I might listen. No promises.

Day 1 - Saturday

iu_1128256_6994006.png

This one actually has a cute inspiration. @UraniaHarmonia’s fiancé, the one with the Ghetsis character blog on Tumblr (I’ve mentioned him before) has been raising axolotls in their Minecraft world, and it made me want to draw that because dammit that’s wholesome.

iu_1128255_6994006.png

It’s a Gold Watcher from Dark Deception and a Coil-Head from Lethal Company. Both of them work the same way, they move when you don’t look at them, so I thought it’d be funny to put them opposite each other. Hands remain a struggle.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Day 2 - Sunday

Some adult themes and disturbing imagery.

iu_1128276_6994006.png

It’s a long story behind this joke.

iu_1128277_6994006.png

The masks from Lethal Company’s new update are horrifying and I love them, at least for being a creative take on the “mimic” concept everyone was demanding be added. Came up with my own headcanon for what it must feel like to be “possessed” or whatever it truly does to you. (Might be made clear in the creature data, I haven’t seen anyone try to scan it yet.)

Honestly, in today’s world and after everything I’ve been through, what would I give to be happy all the ti- I mean what? I never said anything.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-11 19:09:39

Day 3 - Monday (today, no longer backlog)

Designed some kind of avatar/persona for @HatiValcoran in case any friend shenanigans warrant drawing. Got the stamp of approval lol

iu_1128492_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Day 4 - Chewsday innit

First of the sketch requests. @Billy-SuperSkullz really wanted me to do this cursed shitpost. Here’s my attempt at his OC Angel as Lopunny.

iu_1129059_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-13 00:25:21

Good Luck Bro

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-14 00:47:14

Day 5 - This one is for Wednesday, but I delayed a bit and now it’s past midnight.

Some horror themes, implied blood but not colored in lol

@Nebulate suggested I sketch a fish and I remembered I had promised @Levi0nl1ne that I’d draw his anglerfish monster. I originally said I wanted to do it in a vector program for some geometric style, but I’ve put it off for long enough that I decided to just sketch it and get it done. So belated happy birthday to Levi, and apologies for taking so long.

iu_1129516_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-14 04:47:59

At 12/14/23 12:47 AM, Thetageist wrote: Day 5 - This one is for Wednesday, but I delayed a bit and now it’s past midnight.
Some horror themes, implied blood but not colored in lol

@Nebulate suggested I sketch a fish and I remembered I had promised @Levi0nl1ne that I’d draw his anglerfish monster. I originally said I wanted to do it in a vector program for some geometric style, but I’ve put it off for long enough that I decided to just sketch it and get it done. So belated happy birthday to Levi, and apologies for taking so long.

This looks awesome! Thank you so much for drawing it, and best of luck with the sketching challenge! :D

Somewhat Modest; Not the Smartest; One of the Oddest

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-14 19:05:42

Day 6 - Thursday

iu_1129852_6994006.png

I decided to finish an old artwork that was just some janky line art and call it a sketch for this thread.

After the success of the ship art exchange I launched on a Soviet Treasure Island fan server (yes that’s a phrase you’re really reading on this screen), we started thinking about how to make collaborative art efforts featuring our OCs for other holidays. Someone suggested bunny girl costumes for Easter, and I came up with Daisy in a slightly more horror-themed “murder bunny” outfit, because I had a burning desire to be different from the rest in a way that only one or two people actually appreciated.

Because I got sick and freaking tired of being ignored, this never got finished… until now. I tweaked the lines in some places so that the proportions finally looked decent, and now I can breathe a sigh of relief that it’s not floating around in my drawing app waiting to be finished.

But I still feel like I should make a second sketch for today, because this isn’t really a completely new sketch.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-15 19:01:16

Day 7 - Friedegg

iu_1130237_6994006.png

@BroSkullEmoji needed my persona for a group pic, so I hurried up and sketched out the Theta redesign I’d been planning.

Some details are still being figured out, like stuff to put on her jacket, short sleeves or long, and whether to give her boots laces or buckles. But enough is finalized that it’s usable for a group doodle like that. This’ll be colored in when Bro gets to the coloring stage. Afterwards I’ll actually make a finished piece out of it, and you’ll get to learn the lore I’ve been coming up with for the character!

BBS Signature

Day 8 - Saturday

Sketch request again!

@Nebulate wanted to do an art trade in sketch format and for me to draw his OC Pip. So, inspired by @Taytonium’s “Homer a Day” thread, I tried to see how I could mess with her design (just the face in this case) while still having her be recognizable.

iu_1130564_6994006.png

Left-right, top-down:

1. Regular Pip
  2. Before I filled in her eyes, I realized that the eye shape accidentally made her look like a Sonic character, so I made a copy of her face and went all in. (Am I hallucinating or do her bangs look like Sally’s in this one?)
  3. Tried to simplify Pip, similar to a thread I saw about “how many details can you remove from your OC without them losing their identity”. Realized I was making her look like a Sanrio character, went all in with that.
  4. Since the Sonic one replaced her puffy bangs with a spiky shape, I wanted to see what would happen if I went the opposite direction and made all her hair cloud-shaped.
  5. Tried to simplify Pip again, as a very quick doodle. The eyes remind me of this one blue cartoon rabbit mascot on YouTube that I hear people are sick of. I’m sorry.
  6. I had a horizontal space left and no idea what would fit in there, so Family Guy death pose.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-16 13:56:44

At 12/16/23 01:53 PM, Thetageist wrote: Day 8 - Saturday

Sketch request again!
@Nebulate wanted to do an art trade in sketch format and for me to draw his OC Pip. So, inspired by @Taytonium’s “Homer a Day” thread, I tried to see how I could mess with her design (just the face in this case) while still having her be recognizable.

Left-right, top-down:

Holy christ i diddnt know you woud go all in with this. I thought you woud do a singular drawing. And all of them are cute. Thank you.

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-16 18:12:20

This thread is fantastic, keep it up.

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-16 22:21:47

Day 8 again

Never been able to make my art or characters look beautiful, because it’s not like I can just look in the mirror for reference. So I did some practice to see what all I’ve learned from other people’s beautiful art styles.

iu_1130768_6994006.png

Surprised to see I actually do have some insights, but I have a ways to go to make it look better overall.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-16 22:30:17

It is important that you keep up this and also constantly nudging self out of your comfort zone. Not too much, because you need to keep up the steady progression you can achieve by repeating what you know. However take small steps out of familiar every few days, when you feel it requires a bit more though process - good.

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 12:54:34

Day 9 - Sunday

Banged out another silly Lethal Company shitpost. I love texture brushes.

iu_1130972_6994006.png

Would you?

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 14:38:08

Day 9 again.

Here’s Theta but in color! I really need to figure out some extra details to break up the black. Anyone have ideas?

iu_1131002_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 14:56:17

At 12/17/23 02:38 PM, Thetageist wrote: Day 9 again.

Here’s Theta but in color! I really need to figure out some extra details to break up the black. Anyone have ideas?

Maybe you could add a bit more of the skeleton like you did with the undershirt.

Or have a giant skull on the back of her jacket.

BBS Signature

Not details, but shading, like what-kind of material it is ? if its leather or latex add some reflective parts, if its matte use some sort of cell shading based on the purple hues. It feels that, when you'd add more design elements it would become too busy.

... that's what I'd do to break both the flatness and the too-much-black.

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 15:30:10

At 12/17/23 03:18 PM, Tenebrare wrote:

Not details, but shading, like what-kind of material it is ? if its leather or latex add some reflective parts, if its matte use some sort of cell shading based on the purple hues. It feels that, when you'd add more design elements it would become too busy.

... that's what I'd do to break both the flatness and the too-much-black.

That's really good point! I didn't think about that.

BBS Signature

These are pretty rad you are doing a perfect job!

But take it from me, I suggest you do that Not just this month, But for a year, Hell even for years on end, Make it a full journey! And try working on full drawings!

Just some tips to get better! You already doing a perfect start as a beginner!

Btw I usually sketch with the pencil too on clipstudio, Then work on my line art. you know, Your kinda making me question how I should begin drawing things too.

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 16:19:57

At 12/17/23 04:08 PM, DerangedKnite wrote: These are pretty rad you are doing a perfect job!

But take it from me, I suggest you do that Not just this month, But for a year, Hell even for years on end, Make it a full journey! And try working on full drawings!

I’ve been posting finished artworks for a while, they just have started taking me way too long because I’d agonize about every detail, especially in the line art process. I started these sketches as an experiment to see if I could finish my line work faster, and hopefully apply it to finished artworks!

Ideally, after the month is up, I’ll have already “tricked myself” into continuing daily sketches past that point, as it’s a healthy habit to have as an artist.

Btw I usually sketch with the pencil too on clipstudio, Then work on my line art. you know, Your kinda making me question how I should begin drawing things too.

Lots of people sketch and then do line art, and I’m pretty sure it’s considered the professional thing to do. Sometimes I do that too, especially if I’m working with a tricky pose, but other times I’m too impatient and just try to go for quick line art.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-17 16:32:12

At 12/17/23 04:19 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 12/17/23 04:08 PM, DerangedKnite wrote: These are pretty rad you are doing a perfect job!

I’ve been posting finished artworks for a while, they just have started taking me way too long because I’d agonize about every detail, especially in the line art process. I started these sketches as an experiment to see if I could finish my line work faster, and hopefully apply it to finished artworks!

Ideally, after the month is up, I’ll have already “tricked myself” into continuing daily sketches past that point, as it’s a healthy habit to have as an artist.

Lots of people sketch and then do line art, and I’m pretty sure it’s considered the professional thing to do. Sometimes I do that too, especially if I’m working with a tricky pose, but other times I’m too impatient and just try to go for quick line art.

I mean honestly, I kinda wanna do that too, I mean, Every artist is a perfectionist, I always wanna make a simple drawing, without things like too much shading and shadowing and so on, But it became a habit for me to just make the thing a full drawing, Maybe because I fear my drawings always look kind of bland without shading and all of that stuff.

And I mean yeah, I do sketches too, Alot even, But the thing is, I think its the brush, People usually sketch with the pen, And I just sketch with the pencil instead. I am not sure if I should be doing that, Since its always said to "sketch with a pen" So to speak

Day 10 - Sunday

More horror!

More maskpilled Lethal Company art. I wanted to draw a pose like this and then realized it was literally the pose from a Joker movie poster, so I just traced the pose directly from the image and put her on top of a main entrance platform so you’d have the same camera angle. I would’ve had her standing on a pile of bodies, but I got lazy.

iu_1131420_6994006.png

I’ve been listening to a lot of Peter Gabriel recently, and for whatever reason, “Red Rain” is one of those songs that feels kind of sinister to me even though it’s not supposed to be. So I put some literal red rain into the picture. I drew the lines myself rather than using Procreate’s “hard rain” brush, and included some splashes where it hits the ground.

BBS Signature

Unrelated to my sketches (I think, unsure if final product will be a sketch or a finished thing) but holy shit look at this bubble I made

iu_1131712_6994006.png

This pic goes hard feel free to ask me for instructions if you wanna make a bubble

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-19 00:24:19

Day 10 again

Here’s my official second sketch. @GGishere wanted art of her OC Rosie and I volunteered like an idiot instead of focusing my attention on other things I have to do, but this sketch turned out well enough that I dare say it’s worth it.

Only problem is I forgot about it, so I wound up doing it a bit late.

iu_1131725_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-19 00:36:59

At 12/19/23 12:24 AM, Thetageist wrote: Day 10 again

Here’s my official second sketch. @GGishere wanted art of her OC Rosie and I volunteered like an idiot instead of focusing my attention on other things I have to do, but this sketch turned out well enough that I dare say it’s worth it.

Only problem is I forgot about it, so I wound up doing it a bit late.

um what the ohio…

"Don't you understand? You lost to fate! Walking the path of justice is true fate!"

autistic robot girl

she/her

BBS Signature

Day 11 - Tuesday, and apparently I mislabeled yesterday as Sunday again…

iu_1132191_6994006.png

Someone on Zeekerss’ Discord made a mod that replaced the Circuit Bees’ hive with a cartoon beehive, because the regular in-game hive causes problems for people with trypophobia and so some were asking for something different to show up on their screen (like the already existing Arachnophobia Mode that retextures the game’s spiders only on the screens of people who want it).

They mentioned that they got the design from Winnie-the-Pooh, and I thought that that was so hilarious and weirdly wholesome that I had to draw that. I opted for an attempt at the illustration style of the original books, but some features of Disney’s Pooh got in.

Pooh is trying his best.

BBS Signature

Day 12 - Wednesday

Might not have a sketch to post today, but I did sketch something. I started working on the character silhouette for my yearly holiday art, and knocked out almost all of it in one sitting - all I have to do now is draw the hair on a separate layer. Considering that the past two years consisted of one that took a while and one that was rushed at the last minute, it’s safe to say that these exercises have been helping.

Thanks for cheering me on, everyone. We’re almost at the finish line, after which I’m considering putting myself to the test to see if I can truly draw with spontaneity again.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-21 03:04:58

At 12/21/23 12:18 AM, Thetageist wrote: Thanks for cheering me on, everyone. We’re almost at the finish line, after which I’m considering putting myself to the test to see if I can truly draw with spontaneity again.

Oh that's all i get ... a "thanks"... this is it, no more cheers from me. I expected a like, sub and donation to my bank account!

I mean keep up the good work and try to keep up to your own set goals. :)

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-21 19:43:35

Day 13 - Thursday, my dudes

iu_1133085_6994006.png

I know I said in the Mystery Meat Collab thread that the final product will be a complex artwork, but that’s just the minimum outcome, and as far as I’m concerned, it’s a last resort. What I really want to do is code a 2D Slender-like, where the artworks are collected as the equivalent of “pages” while the player is stalked by a masked slasher. So I drew up some concept art for Detective Pikachu and the mysterious killer, whose real identity is for you to find out later! ;)

iu_1133086_6994006.png

Not a real sketch entry so much as a bonus, but I added more green to Theta. I think I’ll put a patch on her jacket as well.

BBS Signature