00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

officialkingcrab0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I’m trying to sketch every day this month

1,310 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-22 02:01:37

Day 13 again

I should be in bed but instead I sketched and watched Lethal Company clips.

@whimsical-wife invented an AU persona on the spot because we’re cohosting Mystery Meat:

And she demanded (/j) that I make my own counterpart so that she could draw doodles of the characters in whatever messed up universe these two live in.

So after telling myself I’d do it for like two days, I obliged. I made myself the executioner.

iu_1133229_6994006.png

Too melancholy to bother adding in the Pokémon. Maybe not even they want to approach this hooded figure.

I am getting worn out from these sketches. Maybe what I need after this month is an art break, but considering that I’ve buried myself in trades and other things, I doubt I’m going to get one any time soon.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-22 10:51:02

At 12/22/23 02:01 AM, Thetageist wrote: Day 13 again
I should be in bed but instead I sketched and watched Lethal Company clips.

@whimsical-wife invented an AU persona on the spot because we’re cohosting Mystery Meat:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/whimsical-wife/me-when-i-cohost-a-collab

And she demanded (/j) that I make my own counterpart so that she could draw doodles of the characters in whatever messed up universe these two live in.

So after telling myself I’d do it for like two days, I obliged. I made myself the executioner.

Too melancholy to bother adding in the Pokémon. Maybe not even they want to approach this hooded figure.

I am getting worn out from these sketches. Maybe what I need after this month is an art break, but considering that I’ve buried myself in trades and other things, I doubt I’m going to get one any time soon.

I need to redraw this with them

iu_1133342_10924059.webp

AUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUA

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-23 00:59:25

Day 14 - Friday (not getting down)

If someone told me I’d be drawing a thousand yard stare in Pokémon style, I’d be very afraid. Had the idea to do some expression practice, but using myself as a reference! So I tried to look as blankly into the mirror as possible, shortly after I woke up, and take a picture. The rationale is that I’ve noticed my “neutral” expression can change subtly with how I’m feeling, so if I’m not feeling so great I’ll look worse. Which is perfect for this particular self-insert! Meet Willow Moss, who doesn’t know how the hell she got into this mess, let alone how to get out of it!

iu_1133642_6994006.png

Biggest problem of being an accidental cult recruit is that they won’t let you leave, eh?

The expression didn’t end up looking traumatized enough, and so I drew it differently, but I tried to be accurate to how my hair was looking at the time - and how messy it was! I figured that level of detail was suitable for a close-up, and it also conveys just how badly she’s sunk into despair at this point.

Weirdly enough, I did a good job. I wasn’t expecting this to happen with a style I’m relatively new to, but whatever works.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-23 14:35:49

Day 15 - Saturday

Finally finished the page of Fakemon from my fan region that I had in my sketchbook. This also includes the very first designs I had of Willow, most of which are defunct at this point.

iu_1133958_6994006.png

Alright, time to pitch it to you.

The Losepa region is based on the American Southwest, though most of what I’ve come up with for it is Texas-inspired. This arid, open land is the battlefield for a power struggle between two opposing factions: Team Ferrite, a secret paramilitary backed by a power-hungry tech mogul, and Team Rawhide, the region’s black market cartel that’s been there for decades. Superstitions and urban legends abound here; from the Spectherd that stampede across the sky to herald an ill omen, to the elusive Rosurell that’s rumored to come from another planet, to the fearsome Regireap that lies in eternal slumber underground, waiting for someone to set it free. Losepa’s two most famous legendaries are Jarbiter, the spirit of willpower in a jackrabbit’s shape, and Vultuna, fate incarnate in the form of a scythe-winged buzzard. While Willow works as the region’s professor after escaping Team Plasma, the Losepan teams are in an arms race to catch these legendary Pokémon for themselves and seize control of the region.

I have rambled enough, lol. Hope you found that interesting!

BBS Signature

Merry Chrysler. I made this for @whimsical-wife and @UraniaHarmonia and also Ghetsis (the one on Tumblr.)

iu_1134650_6994006.webp

Traced this pose off of a photo from a performance of this ballet. N's costume is from Pokémon Masters, the others and the poster in general are my own design.

Foreshortening is hard.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-26 00:23:18

So if day 15 was Saturday, day 16 was Sunday, that means today is day 17.

Christmas Day was tiring and I can’t come up with a sketch. I have no motivation to draw right now. I don’t know why I’m not feeling good, it was a good day, but I’m just not. What am I worried about? I don’t know.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-26 01:25:06

At 12/26/23 12:23 AM, Thetageist wrote: So if day 15 was Saturday, day 16 was Sunday, that means today is day 17.

Christmas Day was tiring and I can’t come up with a sketch. I have no motivation to draw right now. I don’t know why I’m not feeling good, it was a good day, but I’m just not. What am I worried about? I don’t know.

Update: The problem was I was expecting myself to sketch something related to my problems, when in reality the answer was to do something fun to help lift my spirits.

iu_1135313_6994006.png

Tim Burton art style. Always a good exercise in stylizing things heavily. I think I failed the hardest at the ghost girl, even though frail-looking humans are literally what everyone draws when they attempt this style, but I like what I was going for.

Some major design changes were made. I think Tim Burton would give the Jester crazy eyes instead of empty sockets, as well as a long tongue and some stripes for that extra “Halloween toy from The Nightmare Before Christmas” vibe. The Earth Leviathan also got a nested mouth and a black and white paint job, because it’s literally a sand worm, how can I not reference Beetlejuice?

Anyway, that felt good. Feels like a good candidate to refine later.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-27 01:10:23

This is for Tuesday and I’ve lost count

In case I can’t finish my other sketch before I go to bed, here’s a wip. I drew a robot mannequin face and did her makeup. That should count for something.

iu_1135771_6994006.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-27 23:15:36

Wednesday again, day 19?

Stylized blood (it’s Danganronpa pink!)

Also for @whimsical-wife. She cutesified my persona and made her a Monster High character, so I killed her and she is also a ghost now. (This was mutually agreed upon.)

iu_1136190_6994006.png

She frew up. Canonically the cutest space zombie, freshly escaped from the hospital that couldn’t keep her alive. The means of death is from an inside joke we have, and the shaky lines around her are from me googling poisoning symptoms.

I had more time to work on this one, so more detail.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-27 23:19:28

At 12/27/23 11:15 PM, Thetageist wrote: Wednesday again, day 19?

Stylized blood (it’s Danganronpa pink!)

Also for @whimsical-wife. She cutesified my persona and made her a Monster High character, so I killed her and she is also a ghost now. (This was mutually agreed upon.)

She frew up. Canonically the cutest space zombie, freshly escaped from the hospital that couldn’t keep her alive. The means of death is from an inside joke we have, and the shaky lines around her are from me googling poisoning symptoms.

I had more time to work on this one, so more detail.

DAMN YOU THETAGEIST NEWGROUNDS STOP KILLINGGGGGG MEEEEEE. if you keep KILLING ME ill DIE

iu_1136192_10924059.jpg

I'll have to post theta geist my orignal monster high character for those interested

AUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUA

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-28 18:11:14

Thursday, day 20

I dug up an ancient furry drawing meme and did it because it’s silly and I normally don’t draw animals so it’s also practice.

iu_1136644_6994006.png

Did I sparkle it enough? Help?

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-30 01:00:23

And right before midnight, here comes today’s entry, for Friday, day… 21?

iu_1137472_6994006.png

Two of my friends not on NG hosted “draw this in your style” events to celebrate follower milestones. They each only got one entry before the deadline, from each other. I thought that sucked, so I sketched them both in one picture! It was rushed, but worth it.

Here’s the originals. I believe the artists are bluerosekatie and ajbox on Instagram, though I’m not sure and I can’t check right now because I have no account for it.

iu_1137470_6994006.png

iu_1137471_6994006.png

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-30 19:15:24

Day 22? - Saturday

Horror themes/monster design

@Tsnophaljakarax is working on some monster designs based on the deadly sins, and he asked me to help him visualize Gluttony based on his description. I did the pencil shading thing again because I liked how it turned out with “Tim Burton’s Lethal Company”, and added some extra “ink splats” with a splatter brush for more grime.

iu_1137943_6994006.png

The funniest part of all this is that I made a good chunk of the progress on it at a nice restaurant. My own art has never given me a gag reflex, thankfully. There’s more room on the page in case he wants me to draw more.

BBS Signature

Response to I’m trying to sketch every day this month 2023-12-31 22:27:06

Instead of doing a sketch for the last day, I compiled my favorites from this thread and put it into an Art Portal post!

Were there any others you'd like to see uploaded? Let me know!

BBS Signature