00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Character design trope you LOVE

2,211 Views | 97 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 12:54:17

Someone else is doing a character design tropes you hate thread, so after i contributed to it I thought I'd start the opposite so we can fangirl and just be more positive in general too

Same rules! It can be from any type of media

I'll start us off with something simple iu_1118226_10226820.webp

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 13:15:05

I like doraemon and League of legends artists. I love the game too

i don't have a mental disorder and im taking a bath everyday

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 13:38:57

Bright colors, some people say that they hate them, I hate them when done unproperly, but done right it's quite addictive imo.

Specially when it's combined with black or other gray scale colors for more contrast and balance.

Par0llel's art is a good example:

iu_1118239_12978769.webp

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 14:10:17

One that comes to mind would be humanoid slug/snail characters. They usually have antenna and/or multiple arms, both of which I find really adorable.

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 15:35:30

I tend to like characters that are goofy and idiotic yet confident and capable, like chai for example. Some other character tropes i tend to do alot are crazy and aggressive but cute looking characters. i got 2 of them already, its fun to draw them

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 15:56:56

Somewhat similar to the op. I like the designs where they're either a black void with glowing eyes.

Especially when the eyes are glowing white.

iu_1118324_9507916.webp

iu_1118325_9507916.jpg

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 16:48:53

cringe is dead long live heterochromia

shoutout to any and all bitches who wear masks, showing your full face is for suckers

if your character has funny shaped pupils (stars, hearts, anything that isnt the standard circle really) i adore them

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 16:58:42

I love character designs that are able to achieve lots of expression and unique details and shapes with an incredibly simple design. I’m always very impressed by it.

Like Woodstock from Peanuts here:

iu_1118361_17703774.jpg

He’s just a yellow deformed-bowling-pin shaped “bird” and yet he’s able to do so many good face and body expressions.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 17:12:48

Designs that tell a story in their own right. Elements such as souvenir pins, distinctive scars, functional modifications to equipment or even the body, they tell you something about how this character got to be who they are and where they are. I like that.

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 18:06:26

At 11/22/23 01:38 PM, BroSkullEmoji wrote: Bright colors, some people say that they hate them, I hate them when done unproperly, but done right it's quite addictive imo.

Specially when it's combined with black or other gray scale colors for more contrast and balance.

Par0llel's art is a good example:

I love doing that, it gives a fun sci-fi/glow in the dark feel to anything.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 18:09:34

muscular/athletic + big boobs + tan skin + white/gray hair + animal ears = most loved

any combination of 3 from the above is still loved

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 18:15:48

I love characters who can literally distort their faces/obey cartoon physics to create a wide range of expression. Whether they’re living cartoons, shapeshifting apparitions, or indiscernible demon-things, if they play fast and loose with their own designs on purpose, rather than from a lack of consistency, I enjoy them as an artist.

I myself like to be a little loose with other characters’ designs, even those that don’t canonically do this, by designing new outfits or just making stylistic decisions that tweak their appearance a little to express their personality.

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 19:11:31

Skeletons in suits. Skeletons in general. They're so cool

BBS Signature

I like when lady have tha big booba. 🥵

At 11/22/23 06:09 PM, lucifertan wrote: muscular/athletic + big boobs + tan skin + white/gray hair + animal ears = most loved

If you're describing Mirko in particular, I agree. If you're not, I probably still agree.

iu_1118492_8048042.png

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 22:01:01

I love faceless characters. Or, at least something that only has eyes

There's something really cool about a character being able to give off a range of emotions despite having no features to convey that, instead relying on body language, context, shading, etc.

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 22:03:24

At 11/22/23 10:01 PM, DozyMike wrote: I love faceless characters. Or, at least something that only has eyes

There's something really cool about a character being able to give off a range of emotions despite having no features to convey that, instead relying on body language, context, shading, etc.

Now I want to look for comedic comics starring Slenderman.

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 22:36:59

At 11/22/23 10:30 PM, PuppyPresser wrote:
At 11/22/23 12:54 PM, Yolkbyte wrote: Someone else is doing a character design tropes you hate thread, so after i contributed to it I thought I'd start the opposite so we can fangirl and just be more positive in general too

Same rules! It can be from any type of media

I'll start us off with something simple
i would never fall in love with a stinky trope

The Trope Dating Sim.

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 22:54:53

At 11/22/23 09:08 PM, Skoops wrote: I like when lady have tha big booba. 🥵

At 11/22/23 06:09 PM, lucifertan wrote: muscular/athletic + big boobs + tan skin + white/gray hair + animal ears = most loved
If you're describing Mirko in particular, I agree. If you're not, I probably still agree.

hehe mirko and ghislaine dedoldia

caenis, cathyl and debonair diamond got 4 factors down so they rank high on my list too.

there is no shame in admitting love for big booba <3

Based on topic of tropes you hate, I am going to go against some opinions, but... I like trope of ... *cowers under the desk*... I like trope of.. 'beauty' - I like when characters, scenes, objects are done with care and love - given them pleasing aesthetics. When form of human body is made to admire them. Be it feminine or male. I like lean bodies and feminine male characters. Something you see a lot in Asian games or entertainment. I like that.

World is dark, grim and ugly as it is - let me daydream and escape the daily gloom.

Another thing I like is the classic - pale tormented goth trope.

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 23:20:11

At 11/22/23 10:54 PM, lucifertan wrote: there is no shame in admitting love for big booba <3

Bröther

iu_1118517_8048042.webp

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-22 23:35:46

At 11/22/23 11:19 PM, Tenebrare wrote: Based on topic of tropes you hate, I am going to go against some opinions, but... I like trope of ... *cowers under the desk*... I like trope of.. 'beauty' - I like when characters, scenes, objects are done with care and love - given them pleasing aesthetics. When form of human body is made to admire them. Be it feminine or male. I like lean bodies and feminine male characters. Something you see a lot in Asian games or entertainment. I like that.

World is dark, grim and ugly as it is - let me daydream and escape the daily gloom.

Is your idea of beauty really as diametrically opposed to the idea of different types of characters as you seem to believe it is? Honestly, with the right kind of art style, care taken when drawing, and sometimes the omission of unnecessary details, anyone can be drawn beautifully, I think.

I personally don’t hang around it much, because I know I’m not beautiful and my art isn’t beautiful, so it’s not an inspiration to me so much as a standard I can’t reach.

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-23 00:27:22

At 11/22/23 11:35 PM, Thetageist wrote: Is your idea of beauty really as diametrically opposed to the idea of different types of characters as you seem to believe it is? Honestly, with the right kind of art style, care taken when drawing, and sometimes the omission of unnecessary details, anyone can be drawn beautifully, I think.

I personally don’t hang around it much, because I know I’m not beautiful and my art isn’t beautiful, so it’s not an inspiration to me so much as a standard I can’t reach.

Now this is another topic that i find curious "what is beauty" - and I have found that beauty and beauty can be very different things for me and next person. For me most beautiful actress is Tilda Swinton - and I often base my original characters on likeness of her characters from films (Gabriel from Constantine is pinnacle of 'love') or actually part of why i love Hellraiser and fan art i do of it I really like the human version of the lead cenobite - he is most f-ing average man you can ever see. And him being 'so ... normal' is what makes him beautiful for me-

Or from games - one of the most beautiful women in games for me is Billie Lurk - she is a pipe smoking tomboy missing an arm, what i find beautiful in her is not just her visuals, but her whole character makes her beautiful to me (concept art from game):

iu_1118533_16926282.webp

I like to look at pretty things, just that maybe what i call pretty is not 'nekkid waman wiz big tetten". I absolutely do not want to add here the comparison of 'what i do not like' as I like this thread being focusing on positives. Things we enjoy and I enjoy what I call 'beauty', but probably more is about 'be most neutral and normal looking'

I can draw, sculpt, make what I imagine and see and I have no problem doodling i.e. Billie as the beautiful woman I see her as - my sketches of her and yes, this is pretty woman to me and she is all dressed and her 'tetten' aint big either.

iu_1118534_16926282.webp

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-23 00:40:53

Partially dressed cartoon animals.

iu_1118541_11364755.webp

Or ones that wear accessories only.

iu_1118540_11364755.webp

AHHHHH!

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-23 09:36:07

when they use glasses/blobs as eyes.

here is a quick example i did in a minute

iu_1118642_10480671.png

uhhhhh, yeah.

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-23 15:07:33

I love the trope of having a character with a GIANT/LARGE hat.

It's just funny

Check out my stuff.

BBS Signature

Comedic asshole villialns that are still intidating. Its like they fully know what they are doing yet embraces it. Like theese guys likes to fuck up others but cant handle it themselfs. And theese types of villians just steals the show. Two examples of this are Jack Horner from Puss in Boots and Mammon from Heluva Boss.

iu_1118910_14510086.png

iu_1118909_14510086.webp

I do like characters with simple, but heavily implyings in their designs.

iu_1118956_10186085.png

This guy embodies dark feelings and pure evil, but it's just a white ball with a bloody eye

iu_1118955_10186085.png

Probably everybody knows this one. These guys lack from visual expressions, which makes them very misterious. The form they are animated and placed usually makes 'em look like they're slouched, which adds very much to their mistery and discomforting nature.

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-24 00:54:04

I really like it when the woman has half circle eyes and a frowning face. I don't really know why but I find it cute and cool.

iu_1119137_8460620.webp

iu_1119138_8460620.webp

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Character design trope you LOVE 2023-11-24 17:56:43

heterochromia my beloved

play dialtown play dialtown play dialtwon play dialtown (really good game :) )

follow me if ye like my work!

https://crimsonsaber.carrd.co/

BBS Signature

Non-humanoid aliens and aliens that have unorthodox biology and anatomy.