00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

maxbombolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023

33,572 Views | 235 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

'Tis the season, yet again, to welcome one, welcome all to the...

~ NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 OFFICIAL THREAD ~

iu_1115164_1901976.png

art by @WizardoFrank

Register Today!

Join the Discord Server!

Take a seat by the campfire as I regale you with tales of caring, sharing, and original character Christmas sleighing...

Originally started by myself and @D3writo and with heavy assistance from @Template88, Newgrounds has been hosting a yearly art trade-a-thon where the good people of NG can get together to celebrate the community's artistry's latent talent.

- - -

What's different this year ?

We're not even sure... JUST KIDDING !!! THE RULES !!! THE RULES ARE DIFFERENT THIS YEAR !!!!!

You can read all the rules for the Secret Santa via the registration page, but I'd like to share a few cliff notes of what we changed for this year.

BIG CHANGES:

• We have a NG Secret Santa public Discord server for questions, as well as this forum.
  • You MUST BE SCOUTED IN THE ART PORTAL this year !!!
  • Your reference MUST BE UPLOADED TO THE ART PORTAL
  • Your reference must be drawn by you and not by any kind of template software
  • ABSOLUTELY NO AI ART OR THIRD PARTY CHARACTER CREATOR SOFTWARE
  • NO panty shots or explicit boob (nothing rated M or promiscuous)
  • ALL CHARACTER INFORMATION MUST BE ADDED TO THE USER PROFILE
  • You CANNOT update your secret santa user profile once you're assigned a secret santa !!!
  • If your reference makes the receiver uncomfortable, they are by no means obligated to draw it !!!
  • All art forms (including GIFs, but not animation portal entries) are accepted as long as it's not a stolen asset
  • You're encouraged to write "To:" and "From:" on your gift
  • Reminder to upload your finished drawing to the Art Portal AFTER the big reveal
  • We will be actively seeking feedback at the end of this event ^^

Other than these minor changes (and the whole automated system implemented by @PsychoGoldfish last year) we are on a fast track to having this as optimized as possible.

Note: If you aren't scouted, but have a bunch of art on the art portal, throw up some links and maybe you'll catch someone's attention! (If you are already scouted, please make sure anything you scout adheres to NG guidelines!)

- - -

What is expected of me and how can I help ?

If you would like to participate:

- Be patient after signing up

- Be respectful to whomever you're drawing for by not ruining the surprise or letting them know you're drawing for them

- Relay all questions to event helpers, NOT the person you are assigned to

- Read the rules over twice if you have any questions

- End of day, Nov. 26th (11:59pm EST) is when everyone must have their registration/profile completed

- If all goes according to plan, Secret Santas will be assigned on Dec. 1st

- You have until the end of Christmas Eve, Dec. 24th (11:59pm EST) to submit your completed drawing

If you would like to help run the event:

By joining the Newgrounds Secret Santa Discord server, you can choose between a variety of roles:

1. Event Manager - You would like to help manage the event. This includes organizing the artists into groups, which has the potential to spoil the surprise of who is drawing for who.
  2. Server Mod - You wouldn't mind answering questions both here in the forums, and in the Discord server.
  3. Backup Artist - Typically, out of a group of about 400 Newgrounds artists, about 5% don't end up finishing their drawing on time. This is where the backup artists come in handy by supplying art to those that drew for others but received nothing in return.

- - -

Our main goal...

...is to have a good time and spread some Christmas cheer this year. Majority of the internet is separated by invisible barriers and conversation hurdles--this is your chance to meet another artist via their character and to have some fun with the creative personalities that make up our artistic ecosystem here on Newgrounds.

Have fun, you whacky individuals, and burn another yule log on the fire for us while you're at it ^^

REGISTER TODAY!

*xin laugh*

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 15:41:17

I need to be scouted? damn. i was hype for this. If i may ask: why?

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 15:42:54

At 11/17/23 03:41 PM, Nebulate wrote: I need to be scouted? damn. i was hype for this. If i may ask: why?

Just another layer of legitimacy for those applying.

No one wants to be matched up with someone whose only portfolio on NG is a single drawing--it calls into question their dedication & legitimacy to the event and makes scouted users uneasy.

Plus, when you're scouted, there's at least someone vouching that the artwork you post is yours and nobody else's. This is the main reason.

*xin laugh*

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 15:48:49

At 11/17/23 03:42 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 11/17/23 03:41 PM, Nebulate wrote: I need to be scouted? damn. i was hype for this. If i may ask: why?

No one wants to be matched up with someone whose only portfolio on NG is a single drawing--it calls into question their dedication & legitimacy to the event and makes scouted users uneasy.

Plus, when you're scouted, there's at least someone vouching that the artwork you post is yours and nobody else's. This is the main reason.

But cant you just check the account if they post stuff legit? I was reely hyped for this and its sad that i cant particapate. But im not gonna bother changing the rules. I just think this rule is just kinda unnessesary. Thats all. But fine. Maby next year.

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 15:52:58

At 11/17/23 03:48 PM, Nebulate wrote:

But cant you just check the account if they post stuff legit? I was reely hyped for this and its sad that i cant particapate. But im not gonna bother changing the rules. I just think this rule is just kinda unnessesary. Thats all. But fine. Maby next year.

It shouldn't be left in the hands of the participants or the event organizers to legitimize anyone's artwork for them.

All you need is four art uploads and for someone who is already scouted to vouch for your work--it shouldn't be that hard of a process to get scouted, especially if it's for a community event as important as this one ^^

*xin laugh*

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 16:07:13

At 11/17/23 03:48 PM, Nebulate wrote:

For some context, it made the process REALLY complicated and slowed things down last year because there were too many accounts that needed to be checked and not enough helpers. It helps speed up the process for everyone which helps with the flow of the event

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

At 11/17/23 03:52 PM, Xinxinix wrote: All you need is four art uploads and for someone who is already scouted to vouch for your work--it shouldn't be that hard of a process to get scouted, especially if it's for a community event as important as this one ^^

For what it’s worth there are users who are dedicated to their work and improvement that haven’t been scouted due to their current skill level. Or have been scouted in the past but were descouted for not passing the quality threshold of the Art Portal; a threshold Moderators have become more strict on in the past few years at that.

I don’t personally have an issue with only allowing scouted users in the project, especially a big one like this; but I do take a bit of an issue with the last chunk of your response. It can be seen as encouraging users to scout with less discretion and result in artists getting scouted then pretty quickly descouted, which we try to avoid, as it is often discouraging to newer artists and users.

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 16:30:53

Just to clarify what Xin is saying:

Last year we had a bunch of users sign up who had no real validation, and it ended up with a mix of people who weren't serious enough artists to actually make anything, as well as a bunch of users that ended up having their accounts deleted AFTER they were assigned to draw something.

This was the best way to make sure we're working with users who have shown dedication to making art, and have established that they are going to remain present on the site.

It is hard to be scouted. Especially when you've been pruned.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 16:40:06

At 11/17/23 04:24 PM, SourCherryJack wrote:
At 11/17/23 03:52 PM, Xinxinix wrote: All you need is four art uploads and for someone who is already scouted to vouch for your work--it shouldn't be that hard of a process to get scouted, especially if it's for a community event as important as this one ^^
For what it’s worth there are users who are dedicated to their work and improvement that haven’t been scouted due to their current skill level. Or have been scouted in the past but we’re descouted for not passing the quality threshold of the Art Portal; a threshold Moderators have become more strict on in the past few years at that.
I don’t personally have an issue with only allowing scouted users in the project, especially a big one like this; but I do take a bit of an issue with the last chunk of your response. It can be seen as encouraging users to scout with less discretion and result in artists getting scouted then pretty quickly descouted, which we try to avoid, as it is often discouraging to newer artists and users.

oh, i literally had no idea there was a threshold.

thought it was just scouted, and then done

like, as long as you find peers that get to kno u enough, you could be of any art level or criteria as possible since i figured legitimacy was all that mattered

whoops

*xin laugh*

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 17:13:10

Sounds fun!

I have a couple questions:

-The registration page says to submit your art at the end of Christmas eve. Do I have to submit the art at the end of the day? If so, my time zone difference will make that a bit of a challenge (24 hour difference).

-I was a bit confused about the instructions to submit my art. Not really sure what the member hub is, and I don’t know how to return to un-uploaded projects after I’ve left (don’t judge me, I only joined Newgrounds this year lol).

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 17:16:58

At 11/17/23 05:13 PM, MondoBilby wrote: Sounds fun!
I have a couple questions:

-The registration page says to submit your art at the end of Christmas eve. Do I have to submit the art at the end of the day? If so, my time zone difference will make that a bit of a challenge (24 hour difference).

-I was a bit confused about the instructions to submit my art. Not really sure what the member hub is, and I don’t know how to return to un-uploaded projects after I’ve left (don’t judge me, I only joined Newgrounds this year lol).

You can submit any time before that, that is just the deadline.

At 11/17/23 04:30 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
Just to clarify what Xin is saying:

Last year we had a bunch of users sign up who had no real validation, and it ended up with a mix of people who weren't serious enough artists to actually make anything, as well as a bunch of users that ended up having their accounts deleted AFTER they were assigned to draw something.

This was the best way to make sure we're working with users who have shown dedication to making art, and have established that they are going to remain present on the site.

Aaah ok. understood. Woud be preffered if @Xinxinix woud give context. But i can understand why now. Maby next year i will be scouted so i can particapate. Who knows? Exited to see what everyone else gets tho.

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 17:21:26

At 11/17/23 05:19 PM, Nebulate wrote:
At 11/17/23 04:30 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 11/17/23 03:41 PM, Nebulate wrote:
Aaah ok. understood. Woud be preffered if @Xinxinix woud give context. But i can understand why now. Maby next year i will be scouted so i can particapate. Who knows?

Heck yeah, just keep making art and kickin' butt and I'm sure we'll see you next year.

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 17:36:04

Dang, you need to be scouted? I was actually excited for this

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 17:46:44

At 11/17/23 04:40 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 11/17/23 04:24 PM, SourCherryJack wrote:
For what it’s worth there are users who are dedicated to their work and improvement that haven’t been scouted due to their current skill level. Or have been scouted in the past but we’re descouted for not passing the quality threshold of the Art Portal; a threshold Moderators have become more strict on in the past few years at that.
oh, i literally had no idea there was a threshold.

thought it was just scouted, and then done

like, as long as you find peers that get to kno u enough, you could be of any art level or criteria as possible since i figured legitimacy was all that mattered

whoops

Yeah, i ended up in that boat. got scouted, and then de-scouted because i was apparently not up to standard with a bottom line of quality. (would have been better of they made that clearer.)

I'm just a spectator.

BBS Signature

This looks fun

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature

i wish i was scouted just so i can join this

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:08:08

Excited for this year’s Secret Santa! Thanks for setting this all up guys! (And the previous ones too!)

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:08:43

I'm not scouted can I be an exception or can someone scout me

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:09:11

Think this is my time to finally join in a secret santa after missing out last year due to poor time managment, LETS DO THIS!!!

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:15:18

Yayayay! One of my favorite NG events. :D

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:15:24

last year's secret santa was amazing, glad to see it come back! just made my profile!

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:25:45

At 11/17/23 06:08 PM, singpiano wrote: I'm not scouted can I be an exception or can someone scout me

problam solved I will now draw people's art. Thank you to the person who scouted me.

At 11/17/23 03:35 PM, Xinxinix wrote: 'Tis the season, yet again, to welcome one, welcome all to the...

art by @WizardoFrank

Register Today!

Join the Discord Server!

Take a seat by the campfire as I regale you with tales of caring, sharing, and original character Christmas sleighing...

Originally started by myself and @D3writo and with heavy assistance from @Template88, Newgrounds has been hosting a yearly art trade-a-thon where the good people of NG can get together to celebrate the community's artistry's latent talent.
- - -

We're not even sure... JUST KIDDING !!! THE RULES !!! THE RULES ARE DIFFERENT THIS YEAR !!!!!

You can read all the rules for the Secret Santa via the registration page, but I'd like to share a few cliff notes of what we changed for this year.

BIG CHANGES:

Other than these minor changes (and the whole automated system implemented by @PsychoGoldfish last year) we are on a fast track to having this as optimized as possible.

- - -

- Be respectful to whomever you're drawing for by not ruining the surprise or letting them know you're drawing for them
- End of day, Nov. 26th (11:59pm EST) is when everyone must have their registration/profile completed
- You have until the end of Christmas Eve, Dec. 24th (11:59pm EST) to submit your completed drawing

By joining the Newgrounds Secret Santa Discord server, you can choose between a variety of roles:

- - -

Our main goal...

...is to have a good time and spread some Christmas cheer this year. Majority of the internet is separated by invisible barriers and conversation hurdles--this is your chance to meet another artist via their character and to have some fun with the creative personalities that make up our artistic ecosystem here on Newgrounds.

Have fun, you whacky individuals, and burn another yule log on the fire for us while you're at it ^^

REGISTER TODAY!

Why scouted only? How does scouting work?

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:26:34

At 11/17/23 03:35 PM, Xinxinix wrote: 'Tis the season, yet again, to welcome one, welcome all to the...

art by @WizardoFrank

Register Today!

Join the Discord Server!

- - -

BIG CHANGES:

- - -

- - -

Our main goal...

REGISTER TODAY!

Bro, I was literally excited as hell about the event and you ruin it with that scout shit. It even made me want to leave Newgrounds, damn you

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:28:58

This is going to be fun as hell! I did have a slight illness throughout this winter cold but that doesn't stop me to stay productive to work on a Secret Santa art. As much as I despise getting sick this winter I do hope users who do Secret Santa remained safe and healthy this year.

BBS Signature

art by @WizardoFrank

Register Today!

Join the Discord Server!

- - -

BIG CHANGES:

- - -

- - -

Our main goal...

REGISTER TODAY!

I hope there's a Secret Santa for songs...

i really struggle making scout-worthy art

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:33:16

At 11/17/23 06:30 PM, you wrote:
I hope there's a Secret Santa for songs...

i really struggle making scout-worthy art

i think there was one in the past, actually.

idk if @spadezer or @jacob hosted it, or if it was someone completely different that was hosting it, but it was definitely a thing at some point ?

*xin laugh*

Response to NEWGROUNDS SECRET SANTA 2023 2023-11-17 18:33:36

I don't have scouted on art portal so i guest worst year for me.

Forg