00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stupidvampire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Character Design trope you hate

4,146 Views | 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 13:46:35

Can be from video games, cartoons, anime whatever as long as it was designed by a person it works. This is your place to vent about those annoying things you keep seeing in character designs, both professional and ametur, that you just hate. Let your hate out here.

I'll start. I hate when non human designs make the character's skin a supersaturated color, it burns my eyes so much especially when the rest of it is equally saturated. (before you get on m for ragging on kids Lapis Lazuli past jailbreak literally hurts my eyes to look.)

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 14:30:59

boob armor thats like. sculpted around the titties. ill give it a pass if its like....some kind of square/triangle ish addition that would make it seem like theres a cavity to hold the titties in, still impractical but like, at least it doesnt feel awful to look at

but when its like, spherically shaped around the boobs with an indent in the middle and everything to Make Sure The Viewers Can Still See Some Form Of Cleavage i think that shit looks stupid every time

OVERLY simple designs, like someone just wearing a t-shirt and pants. Just because you want your character realistic doesn't mean it's gotta be boring!! Go crazy!! Give them all the accessories in the world!! Maybe this is just bias but I'd rather have a busy character design than a super simple one

and to be fair, I think this has gotten a little better! I feel like I don't see as many grey shirt + jeans + basic hairstyle protagonists as much. BUT I'M GONNA YELL ABOUT IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 16:52:43

This anime face shape

iu_1115212_16497408.jpg

iu_1115211_16497408.webp

There's just something I find unappealing about the classic Funko Pop style head. I think 'button eyes' can work on small figures, but there's something unnerving about a big Funko Pop figure staring at me with cold, dead, eyes. I also dislike the general too wide squarish face shape. Sorry, I know people like them a lot, but I tend to like the opposite: big expressive eyes and rounder faces.

Blooming even after the darkest of seasons

Do not hate me - as I know many artists here like doing it here too (and it is ok - people like different things!), but I really dislike, when they give animals human features, like make humans, but with animal faces and dress them up as humans.

I rather see humans be humans and animals be animals. Animals talking does not annoy me - i.e. Lion King. In fact I like Lion King styled of animal animations. Just do not make characters half human - half animal. Not my kind of thing.

a la this ;

iu_1115272_16926282.jpg

It is cute character and all - character is cool, just for some reason I am not into this.

... and the anime styled huge eyes. That does not really appeal to me either.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 18:18:59

Probably designs that are extremely hard to draw, to the point where most artists cant do it.

This guy is an easy example. Im not opposed to making character unique, but man too many details and its long gone......

iu_1115286_16335784.webp

Drawing whatever Original Ideas i have on my mind! Most of the time, at least...

My Art Thread!

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 18:38:00

Unnecessarily hyperrealistic cartoon characters in a live action movie adaptation.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 18:54:00

Characters that have a ton of details or accessories for no real reason, I don't mind characters being Stylish, but sometimes less is more imo.

iu_1115322_8406717.webp

(・∀・)

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 19:50:02

iu_1115366_19724888.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with this trope, LMAO.

Fuck the cynicism, let the colors fly!

Don’t care you think it’s cringe, because it’s not your life!

BBS Signature

"Blank expressions = serious and deep"

Heterochromia

Anything with a lack of regard for color harmony: arbitrary rainbow patterning, colors at full saturation, garish contrast or lack thereof.

I want to cause violence to characters that are made entirely out of bubble shapes. If your character's silhouette is just a mishmash of bezier curves, I wish harm on that character.

Let’s see, a character design trope that I hate?

There’s the bean-head style found in Cal-arts stuff.

Designs that don’t really match the theme of the character, story, or setting.

Unintelligent use of certain shapes or clothes.

And…that’s all I can think of for now.

The staircase that's growth is infinite, but we should climb anyway to see how far we can go. But remember: growth starts with humility.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-17 21:59:29

At 11/17/23 04:52 PM, RKarlto wrote: This anime face shape

Now why did you have to do my boy Tai dirty like that?

The staircase that's growth is infinite, but we should climb anyway to see how far we can go. But remember: growth starts with humility.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 02:50:22

At 11/17/23 07:50 PM, bappledilk wrote:

Closeted furry moment

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 03:32:37

I have no idea what the style is called, but I hate every single character design in Craig of the Creek

Join the Death Note Collab!!!...If you wanna...○ × ○

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 04:06:14

At 11/18/23 02:50 AM, SporgyTheMenace wrote:
At 11/17/23 07:50 PM, bappledilk wrote:
Closeted furry moment

OwO

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 04:48:48

I really dislike character designs that have so many different colours that are only used once on their design. It looks tacky.

An example of this is this guy from that Dead end paranormal park show:

iu_1115682_17703774.png

So many different colours. It looks kinda ridiculous. I can’t figure out anything about his character because the design is so mish-mashed.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 05:39:44

At 11/17/23 06:18 PM, NecroNovaNG wrote: Probably designs that are extremely hard to draw, to the point where most artists cant do it.

This guy is an easy example. Im not opposed to making character unique, but man too many details and its long gone......

There has to be that line where its on both ends of being simple enough to draw and hard enough for it to be enjoyably challenging for the artist to do. Although I've some designs such in the furry community where they just go berserk and result in horrible char design.

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 05:52:12

Female characters are always done in a sexual way and I hate it.

From boob armor to having the literal body of a women and hair with female animal characters...

My least favorite characters design wise in most media are always female characters because their design is just either sexual or made to be extremely feminine, while male characters usually fit the aesthetic they're in.

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 06:44:03

I'm not a fan of characters having piercings. Nose rings and ear rings are something I really dislike. I don't like them IRL and I hate them even more on cartoony characters.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 12:03:24

this is a massive nitpick and not rly a trope outside of one specific community but i really really hate the segmented limbs of the FNAF animatronics and FNAF fan characters. i cant even really explain why other than it makes them look too much like robots. which i mean, they ARE robots, but idk, old animatronics are so scary IMO because they look uncanny, like somewhere in between robot and living creature. other than that idk i cant think of anything i actually like a few of the things ppl are complaining about in this thread lmao

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 14:05:54

At 11/18/23 05:52 AM, Drazah wrote: Female characters are always done in a sexual way and I hate it.

From boob armor to having the literal body of a women and hair with female animal characters...
My least favorite characters design wise in most media are always female characters because their design is just either sexual or made to be extremely feminine, while male characters usually fit the aesthetic they're in.

Ah yes, makes me think of the classic female “armor” in some media where every single precious vital organ is completely exposed, lmaoooo.

But anyways, yes, I 100% agree. It is quite sexist and even more silly. Like I said before, I have a “love/hate relationship” with the female cartoon animal trope. Hate it for being sexist but love it for looking ridiculous a lot of the time and being fun to laugh at. A prime example:

iu_1115909_19724888.jpg

Why is that deer so C A K E D ? And she’s presenting that thing to us, no less?!

An example of a really good female cartoon animal design that I love is Kitty Softpaws from “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish”.

iu_1115910_19724888.jpg

BBS Signature

Probably my least favorite design trope is when a character has an overabundance of accessories, patterns, colors, etc. to make up for the fact that the overall base of the design isn't very interesting.

Honorable mention: sameface. These two actually tend to go hand-in-hand.

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 21:29:12

Buckteeth on cute characters.

Totally ruins it for me.

Check current mood, cool music!

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 21:33:10

At 11/17/23 06:13 PM, Tenebrare wrote: Do not hate me - as I know many artists here like doing it here too (and it is ok - people like different things!), but I really dislike, when they give animals human features, like make humans, but with animal faces and dress them up as humans.

I rather see humans be humans and animals be animals. Animals talking does not annoy me - i.e. Lion King. In fact I like Lion King styled of animal animations. Just do not make characters half human - half animal. Not my kind of thing.

a la this ;

It is cute character and all - character is cool, just for some reason I am not into this.

... and the anime styled huge eyes. That does not really appeal to me either.

Animal-headed people can be done well sometimes...

iu_1116187_9484520.webp

iu_1116188_9484520.webp

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 21:37:13

At 11/17/23 08:24 PM, Skoops wrote: "Blank expressions = serious and deep"

iu_1116192_9484520.png

Have I fixed it?

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 22:09:05

At 11/18/23 09:37 PM, WVDB wrote:
At 11/17/23 08:24 PM, Skoops wrote: "Blank expressions = serious and deep"
Have I fixed it?

You've changed tropes. Now you have an edgy and misunderstood character on your hands.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-18 23:42:36

uhhhhhh....

when they make a character that's supposed to be an alien, but they're literally just a human that is blue or red or green or somethin dumb.

Rustler of Jimmies

My Art Dump

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-19 04:48:10

dot eyes

always,fucking,hated dot eyes

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-19 05:14:19

At 11/17/23 01:46 PM, Artcompany wrote: Can be from video games, cartoons, anime whatever as long as it was designed by a person it works. This is your place to vent about those annoying things you keep seeing in character designs, both professional and ametur, that you just hate. Let your hate out here.

I'll start. I hate when non human designs make the character's skin a supersaturated color, it burns my eyes so much especially when the rest of it is equally saturated. (before you get on m for ragging on kids Lapis Lazuli past jailbreak literally hurts my eyes to look.)

Literally ANY character from Object Show-type things. They’re literally just a bunch of limbs and eyes slapped on a everyday object!

ONE’s cast makes it through the cut for me, though. It at least gives some realism to their bodies (such as the airplane chair having no legs, so he has to crawl and slide around).