00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hellpix just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Character Design trope you hate

4,252 Views | 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 16:59:16

I just thought of another one

iu_1117895_10226820.webp

I swear every art teacher I've had loves this thing

In Blacksad our main characters here on the cover look like humans wearing animal skins, the lady looks specially bad with a combination of several tropes others have mentioned here. I hate how she's supposed to be furry but just... isn't

Strangest thing is how they are the only ones like this, the rest of the characters have a very classic Disney anthro lookiu_1117896_10226820.webp

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 17:00:34

wayyyyy too many details, it's always a pain when drawing a character that suffers from this, that's why i try to keep mine simple, though im afraid that becomes a double-edged sword and makes them look boring instead

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 18:10:41

iu_1117925_16497408.jpg

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 18:51:31

The notorious Corporate Memphis. I guess it's marketing illustration, not character design. Still an opinable visual trend, perhaps detestable for its overuse. https://webflow.com/blog/corporate-memphis, there are also critical articles by Wired and CreativeBloq

iu_1117935_16497408.webp

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 19:05:30

When every character has the same face/clothing (mostly in some slice of life anime)

GRR <-- that's my signature

Pretty ironic how I draw cowboys even though I'm First nations ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 19:24:14

Nekos/Kemonomimi/catgirls/whatever the fuck we're gonna call it. Every time i see them i just think "either make them a human or make them an anthro, you can't do both". It's like an attempt at a demihuman but with unnecessary animal features because people find that "cute" apparently.

Also not a fan of people just shoehorning ninjas into everything. When the hype gets so bad things like this exist, it loses all of the cool factor.

delphox and zoroark are milfy lesbians

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 20:10:13

After reading four pages of this thread, I am glad I'm not the only one who fucking hate anthro female characters that are just women in skin suits, to give a male character a bitch, or normal female character for fan service.

Always fucking hated that shit, and still do that I decided to make a second reply here throwing shade at this shitty design trope.

Take it with a grain of salt, I am slower than a snail.

BBS Signature

To the person...s.... the two people, who posted the corporate art style above...

I HATE YOU. I had for so hard worked to surpass this trauma of it existing. My brain had shut it off and now YOU opened the deepest scars of my soul and now I am in fetal position crying here.

I swear, when I see corpo art-style telling me to use a service I do not. I do not even accept cookies, if I see this. And we all know that European users do not access websites, when they do not eat their cookies.

I dislike that style so much that I actually have stopped using platforms because I just couldn't press 'accept' or 'next'.

It is the one style I genuinely hate. When I above said 'hate' about this cartoon, then it is more like, "not my thing" and 'hate' is not correct word. BUT

.... corporate style I genuinely hate.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-21 23:18:46

At 11/21/23 10:26 PM, Tenebrare wrote: To the person...s.... the two people, who posted the corporate art style above...

I HATE YOU. I had for so hard worked to surpass this trauma of it existing. My brain had shut it off and now YOU opened the deepest scars of my soul and now I am in fetal position crying here.

I swear, when I see corpo art-style telling me to use a service I do not. I do not even accept cookies, if I see this. And we all know that European users do not access websites, when they do not eat their cookies.

I dislike that style so much that I actually have stopped using platforms because I just couldn't press 'accept' or 'next'.

It is the one style I genuinely hate. When I above said 'hate' about this cartoon, then it is more like, "not my thing" and 'hate' is not correct word. BUT

.... corporate style I genuinely hate.

Sorry to trigger you.

The ad itself makes me want to kill myself at least as much as the illustration. That stuff makes me feel like everyone except me is on some chill professional vibe I don't get.

The illustration is so inoffensive as to actually be offensive, it turns out. It makes total sense to me corporate style would be a natural antagonist for NG.

People say it's dying and other people say it's going strong. But I wonder what the very most modern design/illustration style that's actually good actually is.

To get away from adobe illustrator, here's something I dislike for no good reason: different line widths in the same drawing, like the artist zoomed in for the details. In the below case it's on purpose but whenever it occurs I don't like it.

iu_1118027_16497408.webp

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 00:02:44

At 11/17/23 06:18 PM, NecroNovaNG wrote: Probably designs that are extremely hard to draw, to the point where most artists cant do it.

This guy is an easy example. Im not opposed to making character unique, but man too many details and its long gone......

Just like every anime Mecha.

iu_1118039_6704480.gif

Also for Spider-Punk, you don't even have to draw him right. That's the whole point in him.

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 00:14:49

I don't think I hate any character design trope. But then I remember Family Guy.

iu_1118047_6704480.webp

I like Pizza!

BBS Signature

At 11/21/23 11:22 AM, Skoops wrote: This is more of an overall design language thing, but in the early 2000s they rebooted Dexter's Lab and changed the art style to this shitty faux 60s mod aesthetic. Cartoon Network made some catastrophic changes to their production teams, so multiple shows at the time underwent the same uglification. The part I'd hyperfixate my hatred on was wherever an object or physical feature was round or cylindrical on one end and just flat and squared off on the other. I really, really hated that. Just make your shit outa real shapes, you freaks.

On top of the terrible art direction and writing for Dexter's later seasons, I'll never ever forget how they massacred my boy.

iu_1118062_19707254.png

The dumb dad trope has certainly worked in many shows of the past, not here though.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 00:44:26

personally im a believer of "any character design trope can work depending on how its executed" [ as long as its not like bigoted or harmful or whatever but thats such an obvious answer it barely needs to be said ] so there arent any design tropes that i outright hate tbh . really depends on the overall artstyle tone etc and a lot of other factors for me

but some dislikes for me are unnecessarily sexualized characters in whats supposed to be sfw media like a kids cartoon [ happens most often with women / feminine leaning characters obviously ] . a character being curvy or having large breasts or whatever does not inherently make them sexualized so that in of itself is fine but my issue is that 99% of the time those + other features are always framed in a sexualized manner even though this is supposed to be sfw

and when the overall cast of a media has like no diversity and the colours on the design are all the same / really similar and stuff because my brain starts to blend them together and it gets boring to look at [ this isnt as much of a problem now as it used to be since stuff is getting more and more diverse though which is a good thing ithink ]

in general I just Do Not Care though

coolguy

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 01:24:13

I've never liked how Japan treats faces like a mask, cultural reasoning be damned!

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Support me at PATREON, SUBSCRIBESTAR or donate at my KO-FI

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 03:06:58

At 11/22/23 12:44 AM, mipyguy wrote: personally im a believer of "any character design trope can work depending on how its executed" [ as long as its not like bigoted or harmful or whatever but thats such an obvious answer it barely needs to be said ] so there arent any design tropes that i outright hate tbh . really depends on the overall artstyle tone etc and a lot of other factors for me

but some dislikes for me are unnecessarily sexualized characters in whats supposed to be sfw media like a kids cartoon [ happens most often with women / feminine leaning characters obviously ] . a character being curvy or having large breasts or whatever does not inherently make them sexualized so that in of itself is fine but my issue is that 99% of the time those + other features are always framed in a sexualized manner even though this is supposed to be sfw

and when the overall cast of a media has like no diversity and the colours on the design are all the same / really similar and stuff because my brain starts to blend them together and it gets boring to look at [ this isnt as much of a problem now as it used to be since stuff is getting more and more diverse though which is a good thing ithink ]

in general I just Do Not Care though

This is exactly what I’ve been trying to say but you explained it so much better than I’ve been able to. Thank you! This is literally exactly how I feel about this topic too!

Fuck the cynicism, let the colors fly!

Don’t care you think it’s cringe, because it’s not your life!

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 05:14:13

All of the ones in my art

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 10:59:02

characters that are like super basic furry like just a green wolf with blue tips and nothing unique about it - not even body shape or anything it looks copy pasted - and no this isnt just about furries alone it goes for every most basic design of any category thats just a recolor of something and pretended it was original

One thing I hate seeing are dnd OC's where the men designs, especially of the monsters are grotesque and ugly and then the woman equivalent to that design is some short cute stick thin human but maybe with green skin or blue skin.

Also Hazbin's character designs are so lacklustre, not only that but they all have the same colour palette which seeing pink and red stick thin people all on the screen makes readability god awful.

iu_1118198_8498699.webp

BBS Signature

I was gonna say the CalArts style but that I realised nah.

If you see a style that you see so much you either keep hating it (why would you keep on hating it, it won't do you any good) or get desensitised to it.

I'm the latter.

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 12:17:51

eyebleeders.

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 13:07:10

One thing I kinda dislike is uniforms

Like, typically in anime based in a school or something. I get they would realistically have a uniform but there isn't always an attempt to differentiate them beyond that. The bully has an untucked shirt and that's it

I feel like there's more ways to differentiate the characters and show off personality even if they have a uniform fashion, ways that won't make them look stiff and samey

At 11/22/23 11:02 AM, CosmicPunked wrote:

Also Hazbin's character designs are so lacklustre, not only that but they all have the same colour palette which seeing pink and red stick thin people all on the screen makes readability god awful.

Viziepop fans: "And I took that personally"

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 13:39:28

Noodle arms and limbs, I love adventure time, but noodle limbs make me wanna commit multiple crimes.

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-22 22:12:08

Characters with realistic lips. It either looks really weird and gross like in big mouth, or straight up racist like colonel black from dragon ball. It's really distracting unless if it's done well which it usually isn't and it's something I try to avoid doing.

iu_1118502_14890128.jpg

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 01:07:23

At 11/17/23 06:38 PM, SporgyTheMenace wrote: Unnecessarily hyperrealistic cartoon characters in a live action movie adaptation.

I'll go even further and say no more live action renditions of cartoon/animated shit!

*looks at Disney*

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 05:55:52

At 11/22/23 01:24 PM, Magnedeus wrote:
At 11/22/23 11:02 AM, CosmicPunked wrote:
Viziepop fans: "And I took that personally"

Me waking up to 0 followers because I have summoned a witching mob

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 07:42:57

Too many bright saturated colours that make my eyes bleed

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 08:11:27

In anime where the fan-service character has unnaturally large breasts. Like I understand: the designers were trying to make them sexy. But come on!

iu_1118627_9937453.webp

I'm the kind of person to think of practically in designs (mainly because I'm a girl myself) and surely someone who has breasts 2 times bigger than their head would wear some kind of support so the breasts aren't moving all over the place (would be very uncomfortable otherwise). Not to mention that she's very top heavy so she'll be prone to falling due to all her weight being at her upper half.

Also big breasts ≠ more sexy. Just thought I should mention that (I'm lesbian I know what I'm talking about).

BBS Signature

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 09:01:30

when they try to be too different and add 50 accessories and details on their character to make them unique. too clutered. if i want to draw him, i shouldnt need to zoom in x3 to see all the stuff.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-11-23 11:10:44

I can't really say I have a hatred towards anything in particular because people like what they like and it feels wrong for me to "hate" something like that to such a degree, but something I'm personally not fond of are character designs like you would see in a lot of mobile gacha games such as from the Chinese/Korean side of things where characters are ridiculously detailed with all sorts of asymmetry and little details.

In the context of a lot of those games, it looks really cool in motion or in passing when you don't get to see it all .. but I just can't get behind the practicality/showiness of it in the context of wanting to relate/wear something similar or even attempt drawing something like that. But then again, the art I have shared seems to have hit the things a lot of people here seem to hate too so I'm not so sure if I can judge. >_<