00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

concavepgons just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Character Design trope you hate

4,197 Views | 181 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-12-08 15:05:50

At 12/8/23 04:18 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 12/1/23 09:04 PM, Thetageist wrote: Hey all y’all who are still following the thread. With the reveal of years old concept art for a “Wapeach” in Mario Tennis, what are your design hot takes?
Despite making a fanart of it, I really think there's a reason this one was left on the cutting room floor.

I've come to expect a certain aesthetic related to the "Wa" prefix. With Wario and Waluigi, there's an exaggeration of their counterparts' physical attributes: Mario and Luigi's design pairing is that one is short+portly, the other is tall+svelte, and so Wario is much shorter and fatter than Mario, Waluigi is much thinner and taller than Luigi. What is Wapeach more of, here? NOTHING.

Beyond that, where's the kind of gleefully evil vibe that gives every Mario Party its "comic mischief" ESRB warning? She looks bored and blank; we already have that with Rosalina, the Mario universe's most boring girl.

If you asked me to make a Wapeach from scratch, she'd be some kind of distorted reflection of Peach instead of just a peach-like character in a different outfit. Make her plus-sized, give her a ton of garishly opulant jewelry, make her happy and proud to be evil, a parody of decadent royalty. I think of something closer to Harriet or Madame Broode from Mario Odyssey minus the furry factor.

Agree. As much as I like the design it does not belong to a "WA" character. I wish they at least gave her a big honker. The consensus is that she's a total gremlin but I think it could have work if they made her be a destruction goblin who pretends to be a proper lady. It would be an exaggeration of how Peach is regal but willing to throw hands if needed. Tho now that I've written it down it feels more like Wadaisy than Wapeach. Still it's a shame she won't ever be cannon.

Response to Character Design trope you hate 2023-12-12 13:56:41

At 12/2/23 11:19 AM, Artcompany wrote:
At 12/1/23 09:04 PM, Thetageist wrote: Hey all y’all who are still following the thread. With the reveal of years old concept art for a “Wapeach” in Mario Tennis, what are your design hot takes?
I'm honestly disappointed. I was told it was rejected because it was too ugly. Where's the ugly? This is adorable and I might draw fanart of her.

Some people just don't like cutesy designs.