00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kitchenlover99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨

2,147 Views | 91 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello, everyone. Welcome to my super duper cool art thread.

At first I was opposed to the idea of making one of these because I didn't want to upload my art to two places at once.

However, I realized that I could use one as a repository for the art that I didn't/don't necessarily consider worthy of getting uploaded to the art portal, but would also clutter my profile with inconsistent quality work. I like having the art section of my profile be filled with the best art I can make (At least, now I do).

These drawings don't quite fall under either category, but are still worth sharing to me, so now they're here.

I'll start off by sharing my most recent drawings related to a passion project I was working on for about over a year called, Sonic OCEANA: The Depths of Adventure.

iu_1026885_6398882.webp

Yes, I put this logo together myself. It's a mockup, though.

This project mostly served as a concept art and writing exercise that I had in case I wanted a thing to write, a thing to design, or a thing to draw. No actual playable engines or builds were created.

But if this project somehow ever does exist in any playable capacity in the future, then I'd be very very happy.

The basic plot of the game is as follows: Sonic catches wind that Eggman is headed toward a mysterious ancient temple in the middle of the ocean off the coast of a rainforest.

Thinking he has the jump on him, Sonic finds Eggman and chases after him into the center of the ancient temple, only for Eggman to uncover the breathtaking power that he was looking for: a stone known as The Heart of Atlantis.

(↓ Which is this green thing. )

iu_1026879_6398882.png

(アトランティスの心 = "Atorantisu no Kokoro" )

Just as Eggman is about to seize the Heart for himself, Sonic takes action and swipes it just in the nick of time. Eggman yells, "You fool! Don't touch it!", but Sonic takes it for a bluff.

Suddenly, the Heart vanishes from Sonic's grasp in a flash of light. Sonic collapses and falls to the ground, struggling to breathe and struggling to stand. Way out into the ocean, thunderclouds form overhead, and green static electricity crackles across the water's surface as the waves build to form a towering, raging, rapidly-approaching tsunami.

Left with no choice, Eggman is forced to leave Sonic behind as the Heart's power begins to take its toll. Eggman departs, and Sonic falls unconscious as he's quickly engulfed by the incoming tsunami and swept into the ocean, along with the rest of the temple's remains.

Some time after, Sonic wakes up at the bottom of the ocean with the ability to breathe underwater. After getting his bearings and stumbling around in the ocean for a bit, he survives a close encounter with a giant squid thanks to the help of a new aquatic ally: Varuna the Hourglass Dolphin.

(Who is this lady, next to her trident, "Pasha". ↓)

iu_1026863_6398882.png

She is the ruler of the Cetacea Kingdom. With the power of the Eyes of Atlantis—the stone in her crown that allows her to see visions from the water's eyes—she was able to witness the events of Sonic getting cursed. She's been trying to get a hold of him ever since; but thanks to his supersonic speed, he eluded her sonar.

(Which Sonic does not hesitate to brag on.)

Cutting his cockiness short, Varuna tells Sonic the secrets of the Heart's power that are little-known to land dwellers. The Heart of Atlantis is one of the seven ancient Globes of Atlantis. It presides over the water's flow, pumping water throughout the sea, the land, and the sky. It is what causes rivers to run and waterfalls to fall.

For a sea creature, being endowed with the Heart's power heightens their breathing and enhances their swimming. However—for a land creature like Sonic—its powers manifest as being able to pass through water with little drag resistance. (And of course, as water-breathing.)

The Heart of Atlantis is barely compatible with Sonic's biology, and is slowly corroding within him. Varuna warns him that if he doesn't unbind himself from the Heart soon, its power will slowly wither away, causing all water on Earth to cease to flow, and life as they know it to perish.

To lift his curse, Sonic must traverse the ocean floor in order to gather the other six Globes of Atlantis; and with their power, awaken the ancient colossal golem being known as Atlantis, from its many-millennia slumber. It is the only being who capable of removing the Heart from Sonic's body.

iu_1026873_6398882.png

Now that Varuna's found him—Sonic only has 5 more Globes left to go. With the stakes set high and Varuna by his side, they embark on an epic quest to save the ocean; going to many interesting places, meeting many interesting creatures, and running into a few familiar faces along the way.

"Will Sonic and Varuna be able to work together, explore the depths, and save the ocean? Or will Dr. Eggman manage to seize the Globes and harness their power to conquer the world?

Find out, in Sonic OCEANA: The Depths of Adventure!"

I don't look back on the plot for this "game" too fondly now, as I think that falls into many of the same trappings that other Sonic plots have fallen into in the past.

That said, when I zoom out and think of the plot in terms of its broad, big-picture ideas and themes, I think that what's here only needs a small amount of tweaking in order to synergize better with Sonic's core concepts.

With the setup for the world established, I got to work in establishing the art style for the game's characters.

iu_1026880_6398882.png

For Sonic OCEANA's art style, I wanted to create a more familiar, appealing Sonic; one that people can look at and simply go "Hey look! It's Sonic!" without much fuss. I was inspired by Nintendo's approach in redesigning Link for Breath of the Wild, and for Sonic Team's approach in reinventing him for Sonic Unleashed.

Because of the unfamiliar ocean environment, I wanted to enhance the familiarity of any returning characters as much as I could. I wanted to make it feel the audience feel as though they've run into a family member or friend out in the middle of nowhere that they haven't seen in years, but they look just as how you remember them.

iu_1026887_6398882.webp

If you want an idea as to how the world itself would look, picture the colorful environments of the game ABZÛ, mixed with your recognizable Sonic elements like loop-de-loops and corkscrews. Naturally incorporated into the world, but not huge and overbearing like recent 3D entries.

Speaking of, I wanted to challenge myself in creating my own take on the Ring level-up concept of Sonic Frontiers in a way that I felt was more appropriate for Sonic, inspired by the franchise's roots. This concept is based on the hidden "Statue Savior" easter egg in Sonic CD's Wacky Workbench, which spouts a fountain of Rings upon contact.

iu_1026886_6398882.webp

In Sonic OCEANA, these statues were to be found in secret rooms hidden areas throughout the world.

Heavily inspired by the Hylia Statues.

Going one step further, I also created concept art for a Guardian-inspired redesign of "Gapsule" from Sonic & Knuckles, mixed with its depiction in the original Sonic manga.

iu_1026882_6398882.webp

iu_1026883_6398882.webp

These guys were supposed to roam around the ocean floor, going around capturing random NPCs from the different kingdoms. The freed victim would grant you a special prize and a bit of good will amongst the locals.

This next idea is inspired by the treasure chests in BotW. However, in OCEANA, you would acquire maps for Dig Spots, which you could then go and seek out (if you couldn't find them yourself).

iu_1026884_6398882.webp

At these Dig Spots, you would find a loose patch of sand on the ground which you could spindash over to kick it up in the dust cloud. After enough digging, the treasure chest would pop out, and you would find a reward inside.

BBS Signature

Here are some colorless sketches that are related to Sonic OCEANA that I didn't think were important enough to include in the introduction to this thread.

iu_1026911_6398882.webp

You could jump into eddies and ocean current to fast travel. Like Finding Nemo.

iu_1026904_6398882.pngiu_1026895_6398882.webp

The design for these cuttlefish guys are inspired by the Mesmers from Subnautica, and a character from this anime I watched called "The Golden Bird" (1987). Definitely recommend watching it yourself if you like old anime and Brother's Grimm fairy tales.

iu_1026897_6398882.jpg

I this character's design, so I incorporated some elements of her into this.

iu_1026899_6398882.png

Sketch of the temple's shrine room, where the Heart is held.

iu_1026913_6398882.png

A sketch of Eggman. I remember feeling very unhappy with the way he looked. Specifically in how similar he was to the already existing in-game incarnation of Eggman. I thought it was uninspired.

This was before I had a solid grasp on the game's art style and how I wanted to interpret the characters. Had it not been for this sketch, I would not have sought out the approach that I did.

iu_1026900_6398882.png

Sonic and Varuna standing together. Her trident is missing.

These next two are different versions of the other images you saw.

iu_1026901_6398882.png

The Ring Maiden image without the dialogue blurb to the right.

iu_1026912_6398882.webp

Size comparison between Sonic and Gapsule. You can see that it's very large—large enough for someone to fit inside.

BBS Signature

There are some other things I wanted to post, but I ended up hitting the image limit.

iu_1026924_6398882.png

Here's a sketch of a redesign for the crab/clam-like boss from Sonic Labyrinth that I thought would be appropriate for this game, though I forget the name of it. I think it's for the Labyrinth of the Sea. It shoots pearls at you and you have to avoid them.

In this game, you have to attack it once it opens its shell to shoot at you.

iu_1026925_6398882.png

Tails was intended to have a minor role in the story for this game. He probably would've been a playable character, too. In classic Tails fashion, he couldn't sit idly by while Sonic was in danger alone. Naturally, I had to incorporate the Sea Fox from Tails Adventure into this, or else it would have just been a missed opportunity.

This iteration is inspired by its appearances in Tails Adventure and Sonic Triple Trouble, mixed with the Sea Moth from Subnautica and his latest inventions like the Cyclone from Sonic Adventure 2.

BBS Signature

A couple more things, then I swear I'm done.

iu_1026922_6398882.png

Here's a line-up that includes a redesigned Amy that I drew for fun. She wasn't planned to have any involvement in the story of the game. Though if she did appear, this is what she'd look like. I did this so that I could have a better idea of how to redesign other characters going forward.

iu_1026920_6398882.png

To top it all off, here's a vector art render I did of the key art of Sonic. I think it turned out pretty well, especially next to the actual current Sonic design. Here you can best see certain things I made a big point to change, like the size of the hands and feet, the look of the face, etc.

I think this is a good place to leave off of for now. Thank you for reading through this nonsensical jargon, assuming you actually did. Even if you didn't, thanks for lending me your time and paying me any mind.

Until I return, stay tuned.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-07-24 19:21:28

Birthday art for @SNick_WT on Twitter. (or "X", lol)

iu_1031602_6398882.webp

iu_1031603_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

Also here's a very unfinished animation I created to go along with this audio he put together.

https://youtu.be/sr6N7zOn3uA

iu_1031609_6398882.png

BBS Signature

Spark The Electric Jester redesign.

iu_1049578_6398882.webp

Not insanely proud of this for the fact that he looks too much like a Sonic Character now (not to mention the errors in the drawing itself here and there), but Spark already looks enough like Sonic anyway.

I chose a gecko for the fact that geckos use static electricity to help them grip onto surfaces, and a crested gecko specifically because I thought the spines gave him a very "zapped" look. I also went in more of a jester-like direction overall.

My biggest goal with this was to make him actually resemble something that's part of an overarching theme, since the base design doesn't look representative of any one thing in particular. Not something you can name. Sure, he may be an "Electric Jester", but you can't quite define him beyond that. Not just by looking at him.

Anyway, not very impressive results, but a fun character design exercise nonetheless.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-21 15:01:09

iu_1057063_6398882.webp

Currently am in the process of making a Sonic model.

BBS Signature

iu_1057115_6398882.webpiu_1057114_6398882.webp

Here are the studies I conducted in order to create it. The first image is a study of an iconic Sonic CD promotional artwork. The last is a turnaround based on other similar materials. This assisted in the creation of the model, but the final product is shaping up to be somewhat different from what I had originally anticipated.

Part of the difficulty so far has been in replicating the nuances of the 2D artwork, particularly in the face/forehead area, and getting it to match up with it in a way that looks appealing.

From the looks of things, it seems like I will have to accept the fact that I won't end up with something completely 1:1 with the artwork, which is something I had already expected going into this. Perhaps in the future someone with more skill than I possess will be able to pick up where I left off. But as far as I know, no one has tried to create a model based on the artwork I'm studying and referencing. People usually go for the Akira Watanabe sketches.

I could be wrong. I would love to see a model based on that artwork. I think it's the best that Sonic has ever looked.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-21 15:50:31

iu_1057119_6398882.webpiu_1057120_6398882.webp

Speaking of 3D stuff, I also decided to uncrop the backgrounds I created for my Spider-Man drawings, since it's been a while since I uploaded those. I didn't want to attach the raw backgrounds to the upload itself. I usually don't do that with the supplementary assets I create for artwork.

These backgrounds in particular were created by taking and editing Google Street View data from Lower Manhattan, and so was Gwen's background. Miguel's background was taken from data in Dubai, nearby the Burj Khalifa. I felt that it was appropriate since it seems to be one of Nueva York's inspirations.

I also created the "Daily Bugle" and "Daily Globe" assets too, using a vector graphics program called Inkscape. I imported that into Blender and increased its depth, giving it a glow effect too on top of that to make it look like a billboard sign.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-21 15:51:27

iu_1057121_6398882.webpiu_1057122_6398882.webp

Sorry for the low quality.

BBS Signature

iu_1057123_6398882.webpiu_1057124_6398882.webp

The clouds in the background are created using an effect called "Felt Feather" in Inkscape, which gives a regular vector shape that whispy, cloudy look. I think it looks a little too realistic. In fact, I've met a few people who just assumed they were taken from photographs, lol.

I think a better alternative would be to just illustrate the clouds myself, in order to create a consistent look. However, I admit I have fun using the filter and making use of Inkscape's special features.

BBS Signature

iu_1057141_6398882.webpiu_1057140_6398882.webp

It's a cool feature that I've been using in my art for quite some time.

I feel like I'm only scratching the surface of its full capability by using it this way. If I stop using it for the clouds in my drawings, then perhaps I could make use of it in ways that explore that potential whilst also making some interesting art.

BBS Signature

At 8/21/23 04:02 PM, dupreedraws wrote:

I feel like I'm only scratching the surface of its full capability by using it this way. If I stop using it for the clouds in my drawings, then perhaps I could make use of it in ways that explore that potential whilst also making some interesting art.

iu_1057143_6398882.webpiu_1057144_6398882.webp

Older drawings like this--while I'm not super proud of them anymore for my own reasons--make good use of it. I like the way they look here. They look their best when the sun is included; which the Spider-Man drawings do not do, for lack of space.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-22 13:27:13

iu_1058007_6398882.webp

Heidi invested in some literature with her terrestrial counterpart.

BBS Signature

No art for today (YET), but it is my birthday. I haven't had time to get settled down and create something I'd like to show off. Just been making art for myself.

If I make something presentable, I'll send it here.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-27 16:19:32

iu_1062054_6398882.webpiu_1062055_6398882.webp

For my birthday, I'll show you some art of Dante.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-28 14:45:42

iu_1062851_6398882.webpiu_1062852_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-28 14:46:05

iu_1062853_6398882.webpiu_1062854_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

"It's not what it looks like"

iu_1064602_6398882.webp

Urusei Yatsura + Sonic sketch.

BBS Signature

The denizens of Hidden Palace. I always saw a face in those murals, so I tried making a character out of it.

Inspired by the Statue of Liberty and Lady Justice.

iu_1064617_6398882.webpiu_1064618_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-30 16:03:01

A sketch I drew for a school project a few months ago. We were supposed to find a relevant and recent article somehow pertaining to the ocean and summarize its points or something, I don't remember.

I think the sketch doesn't look very good, but I am proud of its sense of scene.

iu_1064622_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

For this submission, I created individual vector assets of product labels to go along with the illustration.

"Race for the taste of Big Island Honey!"

Inspired by the SEGA AM2 logo.

iu_1064683_6398882.webp

"Windy Valley Whipping Cream: where the chill ocean winds make the dandelions bloom."

Inspired by Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

iu_1064684_6398882.webp

I think I spent far too much time on these assets for how small they are in the final drawing, but it definitely helped me maintain commitment and dedication throughout the illustration's completion. The Big Island Honey label was the asset that was created first, before even the drawing itself was finalized. The Windy Valley Whipping Cream asset was created more towards the end.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-30 17:14:22

At 8/30/23 05:12 PM, dupreedraws wrote: For this submission, I created individual vector assets of product labels to go along with the illustration.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/dupreedraws/honey-cream-and-everything-sweet

"Windy Valley Whipping Cream: where the chill ocean winds make the dandelions bloom."

I think I spent far too much time on these assets for how small they are in the final drawing, but it definitely helped me maintain commitment and dedication throughout the illustration's completion. The Big Island Honey label was the asset that was created first, before even the drawing itself was finalized. The Windy Valley Whipping Cream asset was created last.

iu_1064686_6398882.webp

iu_1064687_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

At 8/30/23 05:12 PM, dupreedraws wrote: For this submission, I created individual vector assets of product labels to go along with the illustration.
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/dupreedraws/honey-cream-and-everything-sweet

I think I spent far too much time on these assets for how small they are in the final drawing, but it definitely helped me maintain commitment and dedication throughout the illustration's completion. The Big Island Honey label was the asset that was created first, before even the drawing itself was finalized. The Windy Valley Whipping Cream asset was created last.

Oh, and here's a fun detail you might not have noticed: the raw background art for this submission is made of hexagons, like a Honey Comb! Get it?

The final drawing is quite busy, but this little detail was part of the vision of this drawing from the very beginning.

iu_1064691_6398882.webp

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-08-30 17:56:54

Impressive! You've clearly put a lot of work into Sonic Oceania, I really like your concepts!

At 8/30/23 05:56 PM, DrawAttractMode wrote: Impressive! You've clearly put a lot of work into Sonic Oceania, I really like your concepts!

Thank you, Sonic Oceana has changed alot since I’ve made these drawings, but most of the concepts have remained the same. I am currently reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Otogizhoshi by Dazai Osamu, and the original Little Mermaid, to get a better inspirational target for this work.

After investigating the inspirations of the works that I myself am inspired by, I found that many of them have a similar origin in these three books.

I felt that if I were to make a work of my own, I had to read these books in order to get a better understanding of my own inspirations and have a better chance at creating my own special ideas. I've been taking lots of notes on them as I go along.

BBS Signature

At 8/21/23 04:06 PM, dupreedraws wrote:
At 8/21/23 04:02 PM, dupreedraws wrote:

Older drawings like this--while I'm not super proud of them anymore for my own reasons--make good use of it. I like the way they look here. They look their best when the sun is included; which the Spider-Man drawings do not do, for lack of space.

🚨IMPORTANT NEWS WHICH EVERYONE TOTALLY CARES ABOUT. 🚨

I finally cracked the code on how to make the perfect clouds with Felt Feather!

After messing around with the settings and shapes a bit, I was able to get it back to just about the way I used to do it!

This is before.

iu_1067359_6398882.webp

And this is after!

iu_1067360_6398882.webp

You may even prefer the before version, however these results right here satiate me the most.

The problem with the before version is that that cloud simply just doesn't have enough meat on its bones. It's just not fluffy enough! These two have relatively the same underlying shape, but the Felt Feather filter is just applied differently.

Personally, I think this result is a little more realistic. I may still have some work to do, of course. But it's only up from here. I already have a few ideas as to how I can make the most of this filter.

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-09-03 03:25:59

Cave. (Brush test)

iu_1067381_6398882.png

BBS Signature

Response to dupreedraws's super duper cool art thread 🎨 2023-09-04 04:04:39

Old sketch of Tetra and the mysterious basket woman I drew, back when the first few Tears of the Kingdom trailers were coming out that revealed her. Really does not feel like this game came out this year... Feels like an eternity ago.

iu_1068232_6398882.webp

BBS Signature