00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dumbuhgly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dump & Other Account Updates

17,728 Views | 137 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 05:27:55

Ah yes, the useless feature is now become Pay 2 Win

Thankfully i never used it anymore since idk how long is it, i might still gonna use it, for only animating my banner or something, thanks you also make it accessible to old players aswell

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 06:39:40

At 10/11/22 04:49 AM, BaldIntegra wrote: Ok, but people without the supporter status can still access other people's dumps? Just asking.

Yeah you can still download stuff that other people put on Dump.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 07:17:06

At 10/10/22 11:12 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/10/22 11:09 AM, squidly wrote: Dumping Ground changes make a lot of sense, that's a ton of hosting space to just give out for free to every user, must've been really raising server costs
Yeah, it's one of those things that is best kept under control, if we're ever gonna achieve balance between expenses vs revenue.

Hello. May I ask if you have a link for posting animations or my music

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 08:05:44

I wish dumping ground supported mp4. Now that the portal supports it, i generally like to share mp4's privately for feedback since swf isnt supported on phones. Seems like a no-brainer. Kinda wish i had more storage but maybe i should just get rid of some stufffff...

also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 08:19:52

a bit sceptical of this but i can also ascertain as to why this decision was made. im sure the server fees are fucking hell to pay especially when everyone has access to their own portion of hosting space. the only reason why im sceptical is through concerns that people might just post all of their unfinished stuff to the portal, potentially resulting in that stuff being blammed if its very low effort.

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 09:51:20

At 10/10/22 11:12 PM, Zoe wrote:
At 10/10/22 01:40 PM, VitalikNerd005 wrote: Someday the time will come, I will definitely sign up for a paid subscription to Newgrounds!
Newgrounds is the only community where people get happy when someone says they are buying a premium account or related things.

And I guess the only community where something moving to a premium model is accepted (think about Adobe, GameMaker, etc…)

To be fair though, this was a free feature going premium, not paid software you bought going to the subscription model :P

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 09:52:55

At 10/11/22 08:19 AM, DefKlaw wrote: the only reason why im sceptical is through concerns that people might just post all of their unfinished stuff to the portal, potentially resulting in that stuff being blammed if its very low effort.

Free blam points!

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 10:33:15

At 10/11/22 05:27 AM, Finasty wrote: Ah yes, the useless feature is now become Pay 2 Win

I use it to share art and files when collaborating on projects with other newgrounders... It's also where I upload any free game assets I want to give to the community, so its been a pretty useful feature for me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkk

Xkittyfrogmeowmeow is unplayable again

This site is retarted

NESticle Now!

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 17:23:05

We’ve re-enabled the registration gates on A-rated content, which had been disabled previously due to the high volume of new accounts and associated anti-spam API calls; hence the reshuffling of where we do spam checks. The incoming volume of new accounts is also why Dump storage needs to be throttled moving forward.

I want to understand the reason for this, if its not too much to ask. Due the fact you said spam checking became to expensive and mnay new accounts are created, you disabled the login gateway. And now the login are back... this decision will not affect the price again? Additionally, the sign which warning us this is NSFW content is not enough?

Is this really necessary to promt user to log in? Im very confused about all the platforms that have NSFW content hosted blocked by the log in procedure

Not a good NSFW artist, not a good programmer, but a very good meat beater

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 18:42:51

At 10/10/22 01:40 PM, VitalikNerd005 wrote: Someday the time will come, I will definitely sign up for a paid subscription to Newgrounds!

@VitalikNerd005

Let us know when that day arrives. I will be the first to give you congratulations.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 10/11/22 03:58 PM, HU-C2680 wrote: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkk

This site is retarted

• Existing accounts have been grandfathered into NG Dump
  • Existing dump files aren't affected as well

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 20:00:29

TIL that at least one person who worked on the Mario movie had a Newgrounds account.

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 20:32:35

At 10/11/22 10:33 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 10/11/22 05:27 AM, Finasty wrote: Ah yes, the useless feature is now become Pay 2 Win
I use it to share art and files when collaborating on projects with other newgrounders... It's also where I upload any free game assets I want to give to the community, so its been a pretty useful feature for me.

I mostly use google drive for that or any links, but i sometime use that feature when only posting my animated banner in it

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 21:05:17

For grandfather’d users who are already supporters, do we lose Dumping Grounds access if we lose out Supporter status?

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 21:23:23

At 10/11/22 09:05 PM, solitonmedic wrote: For grandfather’d users who are already supporters, do we lose Dumping Grounds access if we lose out Supporter status?

Nope, it’s based on sign-up date.

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-11 23:26:10

At 10/11/22 06:53 PM, Dungeonation wrote:
At 10/11/22 03:58 PM, HU-C2680 wrote: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkk

This site is retarted

The post is about the 18+ restriction and supposed to be satire and yes i know about the dump thing

NESticle Now!

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 05:44:52

Some ten million users getting grandfathered dump allocation hmm, potentially 5 PB space usage total if those were just non-supporter accounts... curious how large a portion of people really use their dump space; how many accounts are actually active in the first place though...

Seems like a good move to restrict the feature. Good news overall with anti-spam and all.

At 10/10/22 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/supporter-upgrade

Do you think this would be a good replacement for the text that is currently on the Supporter page, or do you think it might be overkill?

This was nice, visual and engaging. I do think it'd be overkill on the supporter page, but maybe something you could add a link to there for those who still aren't convinced/want more info about particular perks?

Makes sense there'd be more details on this in the wiki specifically too.

At 10/10/22 12:48 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here's another question then... If we offered an account-level option to blur adult thumbnails, would you want them only blurred on the front page but not on the hub pages, or would you be ok with them being blurred everywhere? Wonder if we would need it to be granular, like:

1) Don't Blur Adult Thumbnails
2) Blur Adult Thumbnails Everywhere
3) Blur Adult Thumbnails on Front Page Only

Would be nice options to have, though if I did have a want to blur thumbnails I'd probably personally want them blurred everywhere. Seems odd to have them hidden just on one page and risk them appearing everywhere else.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

At 10/11/22 07:17 AM, Yazza wrote: Hello. May I ask if you have a link for posting animations or my music

How about

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/movies/new

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/new

At 10/10/22 02:00 PM, skullzarerim wrote: thats good!
now, in the forums, to show WIPs, new users will have to user another method, i guess?

Since you already have an account you'll still personally be able to use the dump for this. :)

But for others, if they're not sharing images that can be embedded in posts directly: might need to use some external services for sharing bigger files indeed...

At 10/10/22 02:42 PM, Gustavotonogamer wrote: ok :) (I better be a supporter because the guy changes the dump to only supporters)

You created your account before this change came into effect though, so you're good regardless. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 05:54:25

At 10/10/22 11:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/10/22 11:29 AM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 10/10/22 10:58 AM, TomFulp wrote: We’ve re-enabled the registration gates on A-rated content, which had been disabled previously due to the high volume of new accounts and associated anti-spam API calls; hence the reshuffling of where we do spam checks.
Im confused by the wording, here, does adult content require a login? Is this also a reaction to what happened to sevi's YouTube vid: https://twitter.com/Sevi____/status/1579225618054803456?t=aXWN6He0O56ps2zjyHTq_w
Im glad NG is gaining members but why so many new accounts all the sudden?
That is correct, viewing adult content requires a login now. This is unrelated to what happened to Sevi, it's something we had done previously but due to the large increase in sign-ups, we had to roll it back because the third party spam checks became too expensive. Today's update is why there are suddenly so many new accounts; a lot of people want to view adult content and now they need to make accounts.

Oh hi tomfulp

At 10/10/22 11:12 PM, Zoe wrote:
Newgrounds is the only community where people get happy when someone says they are buying a premium account or related things.

That is a true. We have no competition so being a whale doesn't exist.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 10/10/22 12:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/10/22 12:39 PM, BoMToons wrote: One thing I've been wondering about lately is explicit thumbnails in the home page "Best New Games & Movies" sidebar. Seems like those should potentially be blurred or something (if on the home page), showing an "A" overlay and can perhaps be hovered over to be revealed.

It wasn't a big deal in the past, but nowadays pretty much every day, a lot of them have explicit thumbnails.
We've been kinda assuming that people who don't want to see those would disable A from their filters but maybe keeping the front page tidy regardless would be a better move.

Are A rated things on by default?

I'd much rather have that be a toggle you turn on, rather than off. But I understand that the latter attracts new users.

Being an old fart myself, I find it kind of awkward to refer people to NG at work because I know there's a bunch of A stuff. I remember telling my team to join NG and they told me that "they worry visiting NG because of the A rated stuff". And when I told them they can just turn the filter off, they didn't know they could do that because most of them just check the frontpage.

Edit:

Just to be a bit more constructive - I'd suggest turning off A rated content on first visit, and have the filters pop up the first time you visit the website, on the front page. Settings saved in the cache.

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 08:55:50

At 10/12/22 08:29 AM, KoniWorx wrote: Just to be a bit more constructive - I'd suggest turning off A rated content on first visit, and have the filters pop up the first time you visit the website, on the front page. Settings saved in the cache.

The A-rating filter is off by default (if you load NG incognito you'll see what new visitors see). To enable it, someone has to create an 18+ account and then enable the A filter.

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 08:59:05

At 10/11/22 11:43 PM, Ms-Payasa wrote: Is it okay for you guys to make it an option where you can disable friend requests so you won't receive any?
Also what happened to the option where if you delete art, you can undelete it?
anyway, these updates are nice

There isn't an option to disable friend requests but we're making note of that.

Currently you should be able to find and undelete your deleted art on this page (only you can see this page):

https://ms-payasa.newgrounds.com/art/deleted

When Art moves into the Project System it will be more user friendly in that regard.

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 10:27:45

At 10/12/22 05:45 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/11/22 07:17 AM, Yazza wrote: Hello. May I ask if you have a link for posting animations or my music
How about

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/movies/new
https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/new

At 10/10/22 02:00 PM, skullzarerim wrote: thats good!
now, in the forums, to show WIPs, new users will have to user another method, i guess?
Since you already have an account you'll still personally be able to use the dump for this. :)

But for others, if they're not sharing images that can be embedded in posts directly: might need to use some external services for sharing bigger files indeed...

At 10/10/22 02:42 PM, Gustavotonogamer wrote: ok :) (I better be a supporter because the guy changes the dump to only supporters)
You created your account before this change came into effect though, so you're good regardless. ;)

Thanks man

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 11:10:35

I'm really glad there's a dump for tossing away stuff that takes away space.

It's a great update, over all

The Bandana Boy

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 12:04:08

At 10/12/22 10:27 AM, Yazza wrote: Thanks man

Sure thing. You can get to these via the 'upload' icon on the top right of the page too, this thing:

iu_773511_725545.png

BBS Signature

At 10/12/22 08:55 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/12/22 08:29 AM, KoniWorx wrote: Just to be a bit more constructive - I'd suggest turning off A rated content on first visit, and have the filters pop up the first time you visit the website, on the front page. Settings saved in the cache.
The A-rating filter is off by default (if you load NG incognito you'll see what new visitors see). To enable it, someone has to create an 18+ account and then enable the A filter.

As always, thanks for listening to feedback and entertaining different views. My 2 cents would be to have the 4 filter boxes on the frontpage, just in case you opened NG at home where you don't care if booba shows up but then you go and open it in a public place where booba is verboten. Also it would help when you just want to quickly remove A stuff from daily picks and such without needing to leave the frontpage. (Edit: I meant the top movies and games section, I don't know if daily picks are ever A)

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 18:19:25

At 10/10/22 10:58 AM, TomFulp wrote: Starting today, Dumping Grounds is now a Supporter feature.

Existing users are grandfathered and can still use Dump like they always did, although we might revisit this in the future if needed. New accounts will need Supporter status to upload to Dump and they will still be able to access existing files if their Supporter status expires.

We’ve also rolled out a bunch of other changes, mainly around new accounts and how we utilize third party anti-spam APIs. If you stumble into any bugs, message me with a description of what happened or email support@newgrounds.com if messaging isn't an option.

VPN users who were previously blocked from creating accounts should now be able to make accounts, however you may get flagged as potential spam when you try to post interactions to the site. If this happens, you will have the option to become a Supporter to validate yourself instantly as human.

We’ve re-enabled the registration gates on A-rated content, which had been disabled previously due to the high volume of new accounts and associated anti-spam API calls; hence the reshuffling of where we do spam checks. The incoming volume of new accounts is also why Dump storage needs to be throttled moving forward.

We are now enforcing email validation more heavily than in the past. If you are hitting any roadblock in the email validation process, email support@newgrounds.com and explain what is happening with as much detail as possible. Don’t forget to search ALL of your email folders for "newgrounds" first! NG doesn’t sell or share your email address or other personal info, btw.

I promise our next round of updates will be more glamorous and useful to everyone!

Other News

Our Best of September were announced on Friday!

@EdSkudder was the Head of Story on the new Super Mario Movie.

This month is our Halloween Spooktacular, with prizes for the best spooky animation, games, art and music.

@SketchyTodd is hosting a Silly VS Spooky Art Collab.

Sad news: We learned Blounty passed away in August.

I recently posted a summary of art events from this year.

Madness Day was last month and there’s a lot to see and hear.

Ludum Dare was last weekend and we’d love to see your web games!

LETS GO!!! A WARNING INSTEAD OF TI-[Hyperlink Blocked] POPPING UP ON SCREEN!!!

iu_773746_10890636.webpcr1ti-ka-l-penguinz0.gif

Check out the Hell Alex Animated Trailer on Newgrounds!

Check out the Hell Alex Animated Trailer on Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Dump & Other Account Updates 2022-10-12 21:28:40

I respect the dumping grounds move. I would like to add the following; that by becoming a supporter that you would get extra storage. Not 100% needed but would be a great perk! I'm open to anyone's opinion.

BBS Signature